Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

PvP Skank Gear and Combat Proficiences thread... post your build

Mordarion

Greetings,

So lots of talk lately about what is a PvP Skank Tank and how to build. Now I know many of you know a great deal more than I so I figured lets post and share.

Here is the outline for stats, skills and gear that I think would provide insight into the build plus a little blurb on what you think is important to maximize the play style of your build (and if you think I missed anything just let me know and I will edit)...

Mastery:

Power:

Crit:

Alacrity:

Accuracy:

HP:

Armors:

Mods:

Enhancements:

Augments:

Ear:

Implants:

Relics:

Saber:

Shield/Focus:

Disciple Path:

Notes:

Now then here is my current...

Mastery: 6315

Power: 3873

Crit:1588 (40.91%)

Alacrity: 693 (7.06%)

Accuracy: 111%

HP: 153016

Armors: 6 tank for set bonus and 1 dps

Mods: ALL Lethal 54B

Enhancements: ALL Discipline 54

Augments: ALL Fortitude

Ear: DPS Alacrity

Implants: DPS Alacrity

Relics: DPS Serendipitous Assault and Focused Retribution

Saber: DPS Hilt

Shield/Focus: Shield

Discipline Path:

Skillful- Second Wind* and Debilitation

Masterful- Focused Freedom and Gather Strength

Heroic- Through Peace* Stalwart Defense*

Legendary- Jedi Warden* and Cut Loose

*mandatory selections for this build type

Notes: This is a straight up meat shield. I chose this as I need to learn how to play tank better (will take any helpful guides or input). While I learn I am focusing on just the guarding and mitigation. I am not trying to do much damage but instead making sure all my other team mates are free to do their jobs.

So please free to comment on my build and post your build so we all see and learn.

Thanks!!

EDIT- Discipline Path and HP updated Jan 19th

Edited by Mordarion

Mastery: 8,000+

Power: 4500

Crit: 2050

Alacrity: 750

Accuracy: 0

HP: 133,500

Gear : full 248 (Warding, Lethal Mods, Adept/Quick Savant )

Augments: full 236

Disciple Path: Defense/Immortal obviously.

Discipline Path for

Skillful:

+ Second Wind *: breaker and a 10% heal is valuable

+ Debilitation* : rooting on blade barrage (which is a spammed skill) is nice on attack vs enemy heals, and nice on defense when peeling

- Narrowed Focus is not necessary, there is no resource issue

- Battlefield command : I used to take it, but force jumping often broke guard, and you can reset force jump with push if needed (see legendary talent)

Masterful:

+ Gather Strength* : more damage is always good, particularly against snipers and PTs, +50% dmg is nuts

+ Focused Freedom* : pretty much mandatory

- Unremitting : is nice, but only in some warzones, and you can play around not having it with careful positioning. it's more a crutch than anything else. Nice in regs, would never take for ranked.

- Guardianship: is terrible, never take it. saving like 5k dmg on 4 ppl on a 45s cooldown is not worth losing gather strength.

Heroic:

+ Stalwart Defense*: mandatory

+ Through Peace*: no brainer also

Legendary:

+ Cut Loose:* I do believe it's mandatory (on sentinel too). It's amazing when tunneled, it's great when chasing ppl, it's just one of the best talents we have.

+ Persistent Chill: I take this one always in regs, never in ranked. mostly due to how easy it is to break CCs with it, or to buff enemy juggs. In regs, you need the mobility speed increase though.

+ Jedi Warden: for ranked only, don't really need push or cc spam in regs.

AoE damage pressure build with strong CC / peeling utility. Damage output cannot be ignored (on high HP it can). How aggressive you can be will depend on what you're facing and who you're grouping with, it's hard to say in a vaccum.

Edited by Korrii

Thanks for the post Korrii!!

Already made me realize a mistake or two in my own build as I mis-read some tool tips. Thanks o7!!

Also your build looks interesting esp with the Alacrity. I was noticing here for optimal PVE stats all the force using dps have high alacrity...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=918622

Anyone else :)?

Edited by Mordarion

Mastery: 6434

Power: 3827

Crit: 2016

Alacrity: 767

HP: 145229

Armors: Tank Set bonus

Mods: 9x Advanced Lethal Mod 54B (246 rating)

Enhancements: 4x Advanced Discipline Enhancement 54 (246 rating) + 2x Advanced Efficient Enhancement 54 (246 rating) + 1x Barrage Enhancement 52 (248 rating, praise the command crate RNG)

Augments: 9x Advanced Fortitude Augment 45 (228 rating) + 4x Superior Critical Augment 46 (236 rating) + 1x Superior Alacrity Augment 46 (236 rating)

Ear: Gemini MK-3 Adept Device (crit, 246 rating)

Implants: Gemini MK-3 Quick Savant Device (alacrity, 246 rating) + Gemini MK-5 Quick Savant Device (alacrity, 248 rating)

Relics: Gemini MK-5 Relic of Serendipitous Assault (248 rating) + Gemini MK-5 Relic of Focused Retribution (248 rating)

Saber: Endurance Crystal

Shield/Focus: Shield, Endurance Crystal

Note that some of my armorings are still 236/246, and implant and ear are not 248, so you can get some more HP out of this. With this build I have tons of HP but still do very solid damage.

I use the so called Tier 1 alacrity to lower my Global cooldown by 0.1s. It is 100% better than any other 700 points of stats you can acquire. Luckily, I also got a 248 alacrity enhancement with high HP which is perfect for this. You could probably get closer to the alacrity threshold but I use what I have, it is close enough. Going over 2k crit is also a bad idea, so I stopped right there. Could may be even change one Crit augment to a Mastery or an older Endurance augment.

Overall loving this build, I use it in PvP, in solo play (Star Fortresses, heroics, Kotfe/Kotet chapters etc) and in tanking stuff like Veteran Flashpoints and easier Master Flashpoints (to be fair it also depends on healer, you could tank most of Master Flashpoints like this if your healer is above average). The only place where I put on my full tank set is operations (my tank set is actually a bit higher quality than this but it's much more fun to play the more aggressive build).

P.S. About your alacrity setup, you should check this out

You are currently basically wasting your alacrity stat pool. Either drop it all or add a bit to reach the Tier 1 Threshold.

Edited by Equeliber

Stanky DPS

I want to put this out here in the hopes that someone else finds it valuable.

What is stanky DPS? It's slightly tanky DPS; a DPS spec with slightly tanky gear.

What is it for? Kiting in arenas.

How does it work? The idea is to introduce defense into a DPS build, while maintaining the outward appearance of a traditional DPS build, in particular whatever health value a full 248/236 min-maxed DPS would have.

Of the defensive stats, defense isn't that bad. Sure, yellow damage completely bypasses it, but it's effective against white damage, and can even muck up white damage auto-crits.

Note: The below build uses 228 armorings; I'm e-poor and not likely to ground out 236 armorings. Additionally, it uses one Warding Mod 52A, which was a lucky drop from a crate. Ideally, it would use 9x Warding Mod 52A, which would offer increased mastery, slightly increased health, and decreased defense rating.

Mastery: 7259

Power: 2671

Crit: 792

Alacrity: 1866

Accuracy: 567

HP: 129525

Armors: 8x Resistive Armoring 52, 1x Versatile Hilt

Mods: 8x Warding Mod 52, 1x Warding Mod 52A (ideally 9x Warding Mod 52A)

Enhancements: 6x Quick Savant Enhancement 52, 1x Initiative Enhancement 52

Augments: 8x Advanced Fortitude Augment 45, 5x Advanced Alacrity Augment 45, 1x Advanced Accuracy Augment 45

Ear: GEMINI Mk-5 Adept Device

Implants: 2x GEMINI Mk-5 Adept Package

Relics: GEMINI Mk-5 Relic of the Fortunate Redoubt, GEMINI Mk-5 Relic of Imperiling Serenity

Shield/Focus: Focus; a case can be made for a shield, as it is the stronger pick, but the focus better sells the deceptive nature of the build.

Stim: Advanced Polybiotic Proficient Stim

Discipline Path: Vengeance

Utilities: Warmonger, Overwhelm, Strangulate, Unstoppable, Unshackling Rage, Consuming Rage, Thrown Gauntlet, Intimidating Presence

When upgrading to 236 augments, the alacrity augments would be directly replaced. I would play around with using a Advanced Polybiotic Fortitude Stim in place of the Advanced Polybiotic Proficient Stim, and then start substituting accuracy augments for fortitude augments, with a goal of at least 110% accuracy. Personally, I might even stack up to 9x accuracy augments, but I can see a case that for any point past 110% accuracy you use crit rating augments instead. I might also swap out the Versatile Hilt 52 for a Resistive Hilt 52, all with the aim of hitting the target health value.

The high defense chance combined with the relics basically serves as an additional DCD. The tank armorings buff Saber Ward. You can further buff Saber Reflect through utilities. The build hits the Tier 2 alacrity threshold, and aims to maximize the use of roots, CCs, and the use of Force Charge for anti-CC and mitigation procs.

Edited by Ansultares

Stanky DPS

I want to put this out here in the hopes that someone else finds it valuable.

What is stanky DPS? It's slightly tanky DPS; a DPS spec with slightly tanky gear.

What is it for? Kiting in arenas.

How does it work? The idea is to introduce defense into a DPS build, while maintaining the outward appearance of a traditional DPS build, in particular whatever health value a full 248/236 min-maxed DPS would have.

Of the defensive stats, defense isn't that bad. Sure, yellow damage completely bypasses it, but it's effective against white damage, and can even muck up white damage auto-crits.

Note: The below build uses 228 armorings; I'm e-poor and not likely to ground out 236 armorings. Additionally, it uses one Warding Mod 52A, which was a lucky drop from a crate. Ideally, it would use 9x Warding Mod 52A, which would offer increased mastery, slightly increased health, and decreased defense rating.

Mastery: 7259

Power: 2671

Crit: 792

Alacrity: 1866

Accuracy: 567

HP: 129525

Armors: 8x Resistive Armoring 52, 1x Versatile Hilt

Mods: 8x Warding Mod 52, 1x Warding Mod 52A (ideally 9x Warding Mod 52A)

Enhancements: 6x Quick Savant Enhancement 52, 1x Initiative Enhancement 52

Augments: 8x Advanced Fortitude Augment 45, 5x Advanced Alacrity Augment 45, 1x Advanced Accuracy Augment 45

Ear: GEMINI Mk-5 Adept Device

Implants: 2x GEMINI Mk-5 Adept Package

Relics: GEMINI Mk-5 Relic of the Fortunate Redoubt, GEMINI Mk-5 Relic of Imperiling Serenity

Shield/Focus: Focus; a case can be made for a shield, as it is the stronger pick, but the focus better sells the deceptive nature of the build.

Stim: Advanced Polybiotic Proficient Stim

Discipline Path: Vengeance

Utilities: Warmonger, Overwhelm, Strangulate, Unstoppable, Unshackling Rage, Consuming Rage, Thrown Gauntlet, Intimidating Presence

When upgrading to 236 augments, the alacrity augments would be directly replaced. I would play around with using a Advanced Polybiotic Fortitude Stim in place of the Advanced Polybiotic Proficient Stim, and then start substituting accuracy augments for fortitude augments, with a goal of at least 110% accuracy. Personally, I might even stack up to 9x accuracy augments, but I can see a case that for any point past 110% accuracy you use crit rating augments instead. I might also swap out the Versatile Hilt 52 for a Resistive Hilt 52, all with the aim of hitting the target health value.

The high defense chance combined with the relics basically serves as an additional DCD. The tank armorings buff Saber Ward. You can further buff Saber Reflect through utilities. The build hits the Tier 2 alacrity threshold, and aims to maximize the use of roots, CCs, and the use of Force Charge for anti-CC and mitigation procs.

Just no.

Already real tanks don't stack defense. Doing so on a pure DPS class like you (vigilance) is just a terrible terrible idea.

If you do this, expect to be harassed, insulted and put on ignore list in warzones. And it'll be warranted.

That has to be a troll post aimed at confusing new players who want to pvp tank right? That can't be real.

Edited by Korrii

Just no.

Already real tanks don't stack defense. Doing so on a pure DPS class like you (vigilance) is just a terrible terrible idea.

If you do this, expect to be harassed, insulted and put on ignore list in warzones. And it'll be warranted.

That has to be a troll post aimed at confusing new players who want to pvp tank right? That can't be real.

While I admit my ranked/arena experience is limited, especially as a dps (just seriously why torture myself), this is my thinking as well.

My thought would be all stacking defense into a dps build is doing is killing your dps. Protecting you is the tanks job, healing you is the healers job. Go kill stuff and let tanks and healers create the stall war.

The whole point of min/maxing is to optimize certain abilities at the expense of other lesser abilities. Therefore a dps class not optimizing Mastery, Crit, Power, and Alacrity flies in the face of everything i understand about min/maxing. yes I understand you are more rounded and possibly sturdier (although i see little value for most tank stats in PvP), but how do you kill anything?

Yes you want to have fun in unranked wzs, knock yourself out.

In ranked arenas you need to kill stuff and kill stuff quickly as dps. Tank gear will not help in that regard as far as I can see.

Just no.

I agree with you.

If he wants to be a tanky DPS then just use a shield generator instead of a focus offhand. There is no reason for a DPs to be using Tank mods and enhancements. And no idea why he would not have a set bonus.

I agree with you.

If he wants to be a tanky DPS then just use a shield generator instead of a focus offhand. There is no reason for a DPs to be using Tank mods and enhancements. And no idea why he would not have a set bonus.

I still don't think a shield was doing anything for a dps since it's activated by soresu form, which is now locked to tank spec.

It's simple if you want to dps go dps. Otherwise learn to tank.

I still don't think a shield was doing anything for a dps since it's activated by soresu form, which is now locked to tank spec.

It's simple if you want to dps go dps. Otherwise learn to tank.

Actually without Soresu if you equip a shield you get a base shield chance of 5%, Soresu just increases that to 15% but you don't actually need Soresu active to be able to shield attacks. Not that it's worth it to get a shield (and lose out on the damage increase from a focus) when your base shield chance is a pathetic 5%, but technically a shield does work even as dps.

Been working on a more damage dealing skank. It is very similar to Korrii's...

Mastery: 8134

Power: 4307

Crit: 1789 (43.83%)

Alacrity: 693 (7.06%)

Accuracy: 111%

HP: 138369

Armors: 6 Tank and 1 DPS

Mods: Lethal Mod 52 and Lethal Mod 52A

Enhancements: Adept Enhancements 52

Augments: Versatile 46

Ear: DPS alacrity

Implants: DPS alacrity x2

Relics: DPS Serendipitous Assault and Focused Retribution

Saber: DPS Hilt

Shield/Focus: Shield with dps mod and enhancement

Disciple Path:

Skillful- Second Wind and Debilitation

Masterful- Focused Freedom and Gather Strength

Heroic- Through Peace Stalwart Defense and Ardent Advocate

Legendary- Cut Loose

Still playing around with the abilities and really trying to get a good solid priority list versus general rotation down. I just need way more practice for the variety of situations that can come up in PvP...

Actually without Soresu if you equip a shield you get a base shield chance of 5%, Soresu just increases that to 15% but you don't actually need Soresu active to be able to shield attacks. Not that it's worth it to get a shield (and lose out on the damage increase from a focus) when your base shield chance is a pathetic 5%, but technically a shield does work even as dps.

Even if true you're right the point stands. Why nerf your damage output as a dps? Using taunts is one thing, it technically benefits everyone else without hurting you. In pvp only. Not using a focus is like trying to play a sentinel with one lightsaber.

Even when you could stance dance I didn't approve of people that tried this. Now that stance is tied to discipline there's even less point.

Basically if you want tank survivability, learn to tank. Otherwise, learn to kill stuff.

Edited by KendraP

Even if true you're right the point stands. Why nerf your damage output as a dps? Using taunts is one thing, it technically benefits everyone else without hurting you. In pvp only. Not using a focus is like trying to play a sentinel with one lightsaber.

Even when you could stance dance I didn't approve of people that tried this. Now that stance is tied to discipline there's even less point.

Basically if you want tank survivability, learn to tank. Otherwise, learn to kill stuff.

I'll have to disagree with you here. For warzones you don't need a tank; taunt and intercede works just fine and with a healer, things are even easier.

A tank in full tank gear for a regular warzone is less effective than a tank in DPS gear. A defense guardian who goes full DPS will do more damage than a vig or focus, especially if you are frighting groups.

I did MM Athiss, yesterday as a Defense guardian, I'm Vig, but the queue keep popping tanks who had no idea what they were doing, so I switch to Defense, in mm Dps gear. I held all the aggro and was doing 25k guardian slash AOE: Popping a DCD and leaping in and doing my AOE caused mobs to die quickly while i took little damage. OFC I swapped my focus offhand for a shield, when i got to the bosses. but i was doing more damage than the two DPS, and I managed my DCDs. Obviously, a newbie can't pull this off, but a relatively skilled tank can.

TL;DR Skanking is very viable for most content and is even better than being a full tank -- you might not like it but it doesn't change the fact that a SKank performs well.

BTW a shadow tank befits from the DPS set bonus as well.

Edited by Yezzan

I'll have to disagree with you here. For warzones you don't need a tank; taunt and intercede works just fine and with a healer, things are even easier.

A tank in full tank gear for a regular warzone is less effective than a tank in DPS gear. A defense guardian who goes full DPS will do more damage than a vig or focus, especially if you are frighting groups.

I did MM Athiss, yesterday as a Defense guardian, I'm Vig, but the queue keep popping tanks who had no idea what they were doing, so I switch to Defense, in mm Dps gear. I held all the aggro and was doing 25k guardian slash AOE: Popping a DCD and leaping in and doing my AOE caused mobs to die quickly while i took little damage. OFC I swapped my focus offhand for a shield, when i got to the bosses. but i was doing more damage than the two DPS, and I managed my DCDs. Obviously, a newbie can't pull this off, but a relatively skilled tank can.

TL;DR Skanking is very viable for most content and is even better than being a full tank -- you might not like it but it doesn't change the fact that a SKank performs well.

BTW a shadow tank befits from the DPS set bonus as well.

Seeing as I run a skank in PvP I know full well what it's capable of. The point in question was the value of def/shield/absorb to vigi spec, not the other way around.

Also, while i have tanked HM karraga as a vigi guardian in vigi spec with dps gear it's only because I had 2 exceptional healers and the pug dps we had were pathetic.

For Pve all skanking does is put more pressure on the healers since mitigation stats are effective. If your healers can handle the increased damage taken, great do whatever you want. Now your average pug healer? Probably not pulling off the karraga stunt I mentioned.

Edited by KendraP

• 1 month later...
Mastery: 8,000+

Power: 4500

Crit: 2050

Alacrity: 750

HP: 133,500

Gear : full 248 (Warding, Lethal Mods, Adept/Quick Savant )

Augments: full 236

Sorry, but such stats is impossible with this gear (Adept/Quick Savant). With Adept/Quick Savant enchancements you get ~4k alacrity+crits. May be you have Efficient enchs and 228 Power augs?

And how, HOW you got 8k mastery??

Edited by OldMonkWF

Sorry, but such stats is impossible with this gear (Adept/Quick Savant). With Adept/Quick Savant enchancements you get ~4k alacrity+crits. May be you have Efficient enchs and 228 Power augs?

And how, HOW you got 8k mastery??

You're wrong.

Left side (3x) + Main/Offhand (2x) + Armor (5x) is 10x 231 stats either in Crit Or Alac. That's 2310 points. I have no idea where you got "~4k alacrity+crits". Add in 82 Crit in crystals.

Then you have 14x Augments in 236 for +98 stats each.

756 Alacrity is 2x Enhancement and 3 augments

2028 Crit is 8x Enhancement (or left side), 2 crystals and 1 augment

Leaves 10 Augments in Mastery for an additional +980 Mastery (+240 Mastery from stim for +1220 Mastery total).

Edited by Korrii

Thought this next patch the devs are going to absolutely curb stomp skank tanking?

Yeah the plan is for 5.9 to nerf skanks. We have no idea how, so i personally have stopped gearing out skanks until we know more.

Edited by KendraP

Yeah the plan is for 5.9 to nerf skanks. We have no idea how, so i personally have stopped gearing out skanks until we know more.

And 5 bucks is it gets nerf stomped and standard tanking gets no help what so ever. RIP PT/VG. All hail SA/JS tanks.

And 5 bucks is it gets nerf stomped and standard tanking gets no help what so ever. RIP PT/VG. All hail SA/JS tanks.

I hope that they dont, in typical BW fashion, completely destroy tanking in pvp.

That said i have rather low expectations. Expecting to go off on another nerd rage rant in a month.

I hope that they dont, in typical BW fashion, completely destroy tanking in pvp.

That said i have rather low expectations. Expecting to go off on another nerd rage rant in a month.

It's why way back when I flipped my main from a PT to a Merc. Granted I still have a PvP 57 PT working on Makeb right now but I might skip to the FE arc once I finish Makeb.

But I was planning to read up and go full Skank on my PT and VG(have a few 70s) but now I am going to shy away from that and just work on my Merc.