PvP Deception vs. PvP Madness

YanksfanJP

Nah they are probably like me and actually want to melee, i rolled an assassin for primarily melee combat with a side of force attacks not the other way around so i will never roll madness, I'm indeed stubborn but not because i think madness is bad i just don't care for it :)

I feel similarly, but oppositely :) I wanted to do melee, but I also wanted to blast with lightning and do need Sith-ey things. I like the play style. I played deception, and it rocked, but just decided it wasn't my style. Madness is a blast for me, and often for my foes. Shocking them with purple arcing death just never, ever gets old for me. Only way it could get better is if we could choke. But I guess you can't have everything.

Maddness > Deception

Maddness has comparable bursts for single targets.

Your DPS will grow thick like chea pet for AOE dmg.

Deception will get swallowed alive in a group fight, bc they cannot effectively AOE.

Maddness you can KITE and heal a considerable amount...very comparable to the self healing of Darkness. You have to have the 1st set bonus were Crushing Darkness heals you...and then just wait for one of your DOTs to crit. and they WILL crit.

To that person that uses Dark Ward and a Shield Generator for a Maddness spec...i feel sorry for you...lol you should stop that immediately.

If anything, just pop into the tank stance if you have the ball in Huttball. If you have healers and BM gear, u will be OK, esp if in scoring range.

Heres the thing about NOT having Force Pull....the Creeping Terror will root someone on a firepit. Remember that Resolve currently is not affected by someone's resolve. Not sure if this is changing in 1.2...but i cannot tell you how nice I can fry some noob that thinks hes going to fly right by a Fire Pit bc he has full Resolve LOL.

Being on a much lower CD then Force Pull, i could almost make a case that its more effective to trap-kill someone in Huttball. Key word being: "almost" ;)

Madness is awesome! I was deception for the longest time (had even tried madness in the middle of my deception loving for about a day and thought it was ridiculous...melee + wanna be sorc? no thanks) then as i became bored with deception i gave madness one more try, and have been madness since that point. You just have to go in knowing it's a different style than the 1 2 burst dead combo of deception, and although it's different in that sense you still get plenty of kills and have more survivability.

To that person that uses Dark Ward and a Shield Generator for a Maddness spec...i feel sorry for you...lol you should stop that immediately.

If anything, just pop into the tank stance if you have the ball in Huttball. If you have healers and BM gear, u will be OK, esp if in scoring range.

There is a contradiction somewhere in here if you look for it.

Madness is an awesome pressure damage build. IMO has the most spammable dots with aoe death field and above decent thrashes.

Deception is for bursting key players. I've seen an awesome (mirror spec deception) shadow on republic side. But other then him it's hard to find good deception spec'd assassin.

*** how is madness not have burst?

pop adrenal, DF, light charge, shock, thrash, crushing darkness, thrash, shock.

i mean the rotation is not very easy and if you don't know your assn well you will get overwhelmed. but good lord it puts out some really crazy dmg 1v1. if they don't clean off dots they are ****ed so quick its not even funny?

*** how is madness not have burst?

pop adrenal, DF, light charge, shock, thrash, crushing darkness, thrash, shock.

i mean the rotation is not very easy and if you don't know your assn well you will get overwhelmed. but good lord it puts out some really crazy dmg 1v1. if they don't clean off dots they are ****ed so quick its not even funny?

It CAN burst, but I wouldn't call it a Burst DPS spec. Pressure DPS is a more apt name.

• 8 months later...
If you think the shock damage is nasty from that... you should see the shock damage from a full Deception/Madness assassin :) That spec can also acquire the potential second shock per shock thrown out there... on top of boosting it's damage AND critical damage by rather extreme amounts.

Then it turns into something... kind of like this :)

Oh Yea,u say it mate.Hybrid is much to powerfull , if u know how to play it.

HOLY NECRO BATMAN!

Now putting that aside, Madness a higher amount of utility than deception (low slash is roughly the same as insta-whirl, but creeping terror is great for stopping ball carriers and whatnot) but deception does have the higher burst, madness can give a lot of pressure because even though you're knocked back you're dots are still ticking away, and if the sorc is a dummy and doesn't know what purge is, but it's nigh impossible to beat a darkness, deception, or hybrid sin of the same skill level since force shroud will counter everything and madness has a long set up time, but if you want survivability, dps, and more utility, then of course you should use the dreaded 23/1/17 build, deception is superior to madness in 1v1 and survivability, but madness has AoEs, can pump more dps (If throwing discharge on every living being within 3 miles is ok for you) but is the squishiest class in game, hands down, blackout is great for everything is deception, and it also has a lower force cloak cooldown, but madness is amazing when used in the right hands.

I regularly dish out 300k+ damage, about 20k heals, and anywhere from 10-20k protection as a L50 Madnassin.

I use Dark Charge, not Lightning Charge, for PvP. Use a shield, not a Focus. This increases survivability quite a bit (especially with the Charge Mastery talent). This also allows me to guard a healer and tell him to watch my *** (which also nets more medals). I crit for over 3500 on Assassinate and about 3200 on Mauls. I start off a little slow, but once my target dips down to sub 50%, they're probably going down without a lot of heals and CC. The crit Maul/Assassinate combo will take nearly anyone out at that point except for tanks.

Death Field also crits for 2500+ to 3 targets. Meanwhile, I'm randomly dotting people up with Creeping Terror, and any procs I get for instant Crushing Darkness.....

This is why you have to be careful listening to ppl on the forum and just try things for yourself. He's telling us that he runs Dark Charge and then in the next paragraph tells us that he waits for Crushing Darkness to proc.

I call BS

Raze is the ability in the madness tree that procs CD, but you must have your Lightning Charge's Discharge effect on a target. Let's ask the poster exactly how he gets this effect on a person when he's in the Dark Charge stance? Are you swapping stances during the middle of a fight or something?

http://www.torhead.com/ability/vnZNe6/raze

P.S. Prior to 1.2 (if remember correctly), anyone could use Raze; so, Darkness Sins were running hybrids to get the instant CD proc. Those were the glory days....150% armor, CD proc and Death Field!!

Edited by thefishdude

I regularly dish out 300k+ damage, about 20k heals, and anywhere from 10-20k protection as a L50 Madnassin.

I use Dark Charge, not Lightning Charge, for PvP. Use a shield, not a Focus. This increases survivability quite a bit (especially with the Charge Mastery talent). This also allows me to guard a healer and tell him to watch my *** (which also nets more medals). I crit for over 3500 on Assassinate and about 3200 on Mauls. I start off a little slow, but once my target dips down to sub 50%, they're probably going down without a lot of heals and CC. The crit Maul/Assassinate combo will take nearly anyone out at that point except for tanks.

Death Field also crits for 2500+ to 3 targets. Meanwhile, I'm randomly dotting people up with Creeping Terror, and any procs I get for instant Crushing Darkness. Thrash/Shock until the target is low enough to burst, randomly taunt other enemies that are wailing on team-mates. If you're in a large battle, liberal use of Overload, and the AoE taunt will reduce a significant amount of damage (unless they get smart and try to focus you - then pop defensive CDs or try and Force Cloak out).

Recklessness if you can afford to throw a full Force Lightning at a critical health target, etc. Creeping Terror is also especially useful for kiting enemy melee - allowing your short-ranged attacks to whittle away their health until you get them into "execute" range and finish them off.

All of my gear is built for high willpower, crit, and surge. It's also excellent for PvE.

I've never lost a straight-up fight with a 50 Deception Sin (it's usually not even close, even with CDs down). I frequently kill players 1v2, 1v3, even a few 1v4. Hell, I had a game earlier today where I did 330k damage with 49 kills and Zero, yes, Zero Deaths.

You are full madness in Dark Charge, your opinion is now invalid. Here's a few things, 300k damage is nothing to brag about, you should never use force lightning as madness spec, you won't get a crushing darkness proc unless someone has your lightning discharge on it, and if you win 1v4s with the current tips you're giving out I'm guessing you're playing people either half your level or without arms. Try a different spec, like one that actually makes sense to use with dark charge if you're worried about being less squishy. The tips you just said made me smh dude, I don't know if you're a troll but this post is ridiculous.

Lol at the derps quoting near year old posts and pointing out errors that are only errors because of changes made over time. You used to be able to get raze procs in dark charge. Before it was changed due to hybrid sins being even more unstoppable than they are now.

For a so called leet player, damager. You took this hook, line, and sinker. Derping it all the way to the bank. Oh, and 300k damage was a lot, IN DEC 2011!!!

Successful necrotroll is successful.

9/10

Edited by Cowflab

If you think the shock damage is nasty from that... you should see the shock damage from a full Deception/Madness assassin :) That spec can also acquire the potential second shock per shock thrown out there... on top of boosting it's damage AND critical damage by rather extreme amounts.

I agree, Ive got a level 50 sin using this spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200ZfGMRkfrRbkZf0c.2 and it does pretty well in pvp and pve. My rotation is Voltaic Slash x2, then shock, then maul (if behind the target) then discharge. Because of discharge's cooldown i can only use it once every 2 rotations, which isnt bad because it allows more of the damage bonus stacks from static charge. Chain shock gives me 2 shocks about half the time, and the second shock still benefits from the shock damage bonus of voltaic slash.

Which seems better Mad Maul or Deception?

Thanks

Mad Maul has the capability to do mass damage to many targets, has semi-strong single target damage but has a longer ramp up time, but is a bit squishy. Deception has the capability to kill a single target very quickly through burst damage, lacks AoE, but is a tougher spec defensively. Both specs lack team utility but are good in their role. In the hands of a good player, both specs are extremely viable.