Dread Guard nerf - Catering to the Casual

You don't appear to realise how few people are like you. There are 12 confirmed kills of DG. That's it. That's not even 100 players. No company that wants to stay in business is going to create content that only 100 people ever see (ie everything past DG).

The fight is still far beyond the capabilities of at least 95% of the playerbase. It is hard by any reasonable definition of the word. If you don't find it hard, then you're just very unusual.

If the fight is beyond people's capabilities..then the course of action is simply to improve their game, or suffice to clear hard mode..until the next tier releases and kell dragon gear drops on easier fights.

Nightmare mode, again, is not 'everyone can do it immediately' mode.

The entire concept of top tier raiding is to provide a true challenge and thus attract players who want that kind of challenge. If people cannot clear content and quit the game (which in my experience has never happened with anyone I've ever raided with)..then I dunno, sounds like a personal issue to me - I play the game for a challenge though, and most, if not all of people I've played with appreciate that as well.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this were a solo game, I would love content as hard as pre-nerf DG. As it is, though, you need at least 7 other people to do ops, and most people have jobs and whatnot and simply don't have the time required to complete that level of difficulty.

Personally how I overcame this obstacle was to level from scratch, on the opposite faction, late into the game just to join a guild where I'd have a proper raiding experience.

So..the guilds are out there, for those who really put in the level of effort needed to thrive.

Correlation is not causation.

Strange argument to bring up though, given that the most popular games on the market are generally considered dumbed down for casuals. It's clearly a rather successful strategy. (and no, I don't like it - I'm not a casual player at all).

If this were a solo game, I would love content as hard as pre-nerf DG. As it is, though, you need at least 7 other people to do ops, and most people have jobs and whatnot and simply don't have the time required to complete that level of difficulty. So for the sake of me ever doing such content, I'm happy it's easier. It's still bloody hard though. Anyone who says it isn't has a *very* unusual conception of difficulty.

You know it is NiM your suppose to be challenged, novel idea in todays games. its not like they put a ton of money into just the NiM Mode, you have story so you can do the encounters and you still have hard modes . They pushed their sliding bars over and added a mechanic or 2. So the money thing is meh. So am hearing a lot of whoa is me, gimme loot cause I deserve it for beating the payment boss, where is my medal for participation.

So am hearing a lot of whoa is me, gimme loot cause I deserve it for beating the payment boss, where is my medal for participation.

This line made me giggle because the guy you quoted actually had a pretty logical and well-stated argument, yet your response is this pile of refuse. Some of the new nightmare fights are most certainly not "easy mode", unlike the way the HM versions were when they were released. So your comparison of nightmare mode to getting a gold star for showing up is completely off base.

You know a lot of these issues could be solved if bioware would actually release HM at the same time as Nightmare.......would satisfy all levels of raiding guilds. But as someone mentioned earlier, content is released at a snail's pace so either the "hardcore" guilds will get bored or the "casual" raiding guilds will be bored.

16 man DG are still difficult. We killed it tonight, but we did it with 40 seconds before enrage so I don't think the loss of HP really made much of a difference if we had cleared it a week earlier. It was mostly having to do with finding positioning that worked for red circles. We figured that out on our own and downed the guys a few attempts later. Those adds were the only other difficult hurdle to deal with, but they didn't lose any damage If I'm not mistaken.

Honestly I don't know how I feel about the nerf. We totally could have done it with the 30 second nerf alone and I wish we could try that level of difficulty again. Either way it is what it is and I hope keph/TfB is as difficult as it seems.

DnT are going to wildstar it seems. They will probably be around until it comes out, and more power to them. The raiding scene seems pretty epic as long as it doesn't trip on it's own dick or go the direction of casual raiding. Edited by mastirkal

Aside the same conversation over and over again: Who actually enjoys the Dread Guards, nerfed or not? Personally I think it's an awesome boss on NiM. Before that it wasn't that much of fun but the minor changes on mechanics made it fun.

That was Krazy_karl from the grey order on the shadowlands. Not from DnT.

No it was DnT, well members of DnT not all of DnT.

Anyhow its about the money at the end of the day bioware is a business and to stay afloat you need to make money.

I wish all content was tuned to make people cry and people didn't clear it for weeks.

I believe only 5 8M guilds have killed NM styrak and I believe severity is only 16 which unfortunately will lead to a nerf. Hopefully I'll get to take being the only sorc dps (on 8) to kill it prior to a nerf with me once I'm done with swtor. :p:p:p

DnT are going to wildstar it seems. They will probably be around until it comes out, and more power to them. The raiding scene seems pretty epic as long as it doesn't trip on it's own dick or go the direction of casual raiding.

lol DnT doesn't just play 1 game you realize right? We are represented in WOW,GW2,SWTOR as well as other games. Also look for our guild in the new final fantasy mmo.

This is Nightmare mode. This fight has been cleared by multiple guilds now - why nerf it? This decision simply robs the ability to compete for other guilds who still want challenge.

Because the fight was considerably harder than all the other fights in the operation. That's obviously not supposed to be the case.

Really, it's not rocket science.

Raiding in this game at its highest difficulty has always been at a casual level to complete it in under a month.

I don't see how anything in the future will be different.

True Dreadtoot 10 Stack + Bonusboss Asation HC (Original Version), were downed in under a month....not.:D More like several Month, I would like more Content like that. Somethin like, there are these super cool bosseencounters, but we won´t tell you how to trigger them.

I personally would like more 24 Man encounters in the game;) Maybe something like Endor were you need 3 8 Mann Raidgroups at different positions fighting there way through to the central room were they meet to encounter the ultimate challenge. I am getting ahead of this thread^^

True Dreadtoot 10 Stack + Bonusboss Asation HC (Original Version), were downed in under a month....not.:D More like several Month, I would like more Content like that. Somethin like, there are these super cool bosseencounters, but we won´t tell you how to trigger them.

I personally would like more 24 Man encounters in the game;) Maybe something like Endor were you need 3 8 Mann Raidgroups at different positions fighting there way through to the central room were they meet to encounter the ultimate challenge. I am getting ahead of this thread^^

Don't worry that's what Wildstar is for:P

Because the fight was considerably harder than all the other fights in the operation. That's obviously not supposed to be the case.

Really, it's not rocket science.

Before you denigrate the thread with a condescending tone, you may want to read prior discussion.

This was covered - other fights should have been equivalent or greater difficulty.

'The enrage timer for The Dread Guard has been increased by 30 seconds in Hard and Nightmare Modes.'

Nice to see Bioware caving to the casuals (Attn, this pro-nerf thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6425376#post6425376 - started by Death and Taxes, in which several members of this guild and others declare the fight impossible, to be proven wrong a few days later).

Not really.

This is Nightmare mode. This fight has been cleared by multiple guilds now - why nerf it? This decision simply robs the ability to compete for other guilds who still want challenge.

This speaks poorly to Bioware's intent to provide challenging content, in my opinion.

Will future content be continually nerfed to the point of Nightmare mode being 'everyone and their mother can clear it in a day-mode'?

Seems someone forgot about their original post to start this thread. Stop playing the holier than thou game.

Why not just buff the other 4?

I think BW would have to answer that but the only thing they have demonstrated is the desire to change it and make it slightly easier. I guess their metrics showed them more wipes than they cared to see on the fight. Seems they are pleased with the other fights as they havent received any changes though they could use a little buffing.

was referring to her condescending tone and insulting nature of the entire thread. No room for the holier than thou attitude. And aerro by select few I guess you mean everyone that did it even the people that put in the 20+ hours to down it before the initial change who admitted it was overtuned. I dont think the big nerf with lowering hps and dmg was needed but I guess BW looked at the metrics breakdown of how many wipes were occuring on the boss and thought it would be a good idea to bring it down a notch. Maybe you should think before you speak?:p

GL on thrasher and terror I hope you get them one day:P

PS I'd also like to point out that the OP is incorrect. No one beat the enrage timer pre first change. I win again!

Edited by Ansalem

Just popped in to say we beat you to another title, Aerroh. Two weeks ago, now.

Don't give up, I'm sure you'll kill terror before 2.3. Just keep pumping out that 4600 dps.

8man.

k you're the best at everything. We get it. Move on.

Edited by Aerro

8m > 16m pewpew lazers

No, 16>8 in challenge and difficulty. Lighter DPS check, harder tanking and healing. Much more emphasis on group coordination, group availability, raid damage and pride. I say pride because there is LITERALLY NO REASON TO DO 16 MAN OVER 8. We don't get anything more other than the pride from killing something on the hardest difficulty setting.

8>16 in popularity and availability. Hard as **** DPS check, Light tanking and healing. Much more emphasis on group composition and synergy. I like 8 man because its about the individual players performance over the group performance so everyone is taking much more responsibility upon themselves. If it was easy to get 16 individuals on the same page as it is in 8 man. 16 man content would be widely more popular.

No, 16>8 in challenge and difficulty. Lighter DPS check, harder tanking and healing. Much more emphasis on group coordination, group availability, raid damage and pride. I say pride because there is LITERALLY NO REASON TO DO 16 MAN OVER 8. We don't get anything more other than the pride from killing something on the hardest difficulty setting.

8>16 in popularity and availability. Hard as **** DPS check, Light tanking and healing. Much more emphasis on group composition and synergy. I like 8 man because its about the individual players performance over the group performance so everyone is taking much more responsibility upon themselves. If it was easy to get 16 individuals on the same page as it is in 8 man. 16 man content would be widely more popular.

except that 16m content is easymode joketown. 8m ftw.

Also tough luck in tfb tonight airwolfe. Saw you guys wiping on DG for over 3 hours made me feel sad for you guys. I guess even with the nerf the DG are able to block all but the most hardcore guilds