Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

They really need to open up the existing companions before they start worrying about adding new companions. The current companions are tied in nicely to the class story and that certainly helps to build that emotional attachment they want players to have with their companions.

Adding in a set of second hand companions with (at best) peripheral impact on that story simply to throw those who want same gender relations a bone would be rather insulting (though not as insulting as having been excluded from the start).

Not to mention the fact that it would be a lot less work. All that needs done (if it isn't already) is to record the PC VO for same gender romances. All the companion work is already done.

Edited by Nozybidaj

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure that Bioware has nixed the idea of existing companions being turned bi. I'd still like clarification, though, especially about how these SGRAs will be implemented.

I'm actually heartily sick of Kaliyo, having had her as my main companion for 24 levels (by which I mean, out and following me around, purportedly tanking but spending much of her time lying down on the job!). My Agent is pure light sided, so their personalities clash quite a bit, and I find her just a little too abrasive and stupidly brutish. I sincerely hope when they add SGRA to the game, she's not the only female option available for my Agent.

Also, I think some people are reading too much into Kaliyo's personality. There is a part of me actually hoping she turns out to be straight, not to dash the hopes of the people who like her, but because it would be going against the usual trope of the tough, irreverent butch woman being gay or bi. Straight women can be tough, irreverent, and butch too, you know! (says the soft butch, geeky, gay woman.)

They really need to open up the existing companions before they start worrying about adding new companions. The current companions are tied in nicely to the class story and that certainly helps to build that emotional attachment they want players to have with their companions.

Adding in a set of second hand companions with (at best) peripheral impact on that story simply to throw those who want same gender relations a bone would be rather insulting (though not as insulting as having been excluded from the start).

Not to mention the fact that it would be a lot less work. All that needs done (if it isn't already) is to record the PC VO for same gender romances. All the companion work is already done.

This is what I agree with. Maybe there'd be a few line changes for gender, but otherwise I don't see how much would really have to be done.

I've actually been saving all my Courting gifts on my Consular for Nadia, and once I get her I won't do any of her companion quests until I know what the deal is. Luckily that won't hurt my gameplay too much, seeing as Tharan fits my playstyle best.

However, I DO think BioWare at least needs to give us some indication of not only when this will be done, but how they're going to do it, since there seems to be a good number of people changing their companion gifting strategies based on what may be coming.

Of course we want same sex romances and having romance option with Khem Val on SI, but....

... I would also like to see romances not just between main character and a companion, but a possibility of companions having romance with eachother, so that when you have multiple companions, you should also be able to manipulate two of your companions to fall in love with each other, if you want.

Of course we want same sex romances and having romance option with Khem Val on SI, but....

... I would also like to see romances not just between main character and a companion, but a possibility of companions having romance with eachother, so that when you have multiple companions, you should also be able to manipulate two of your companions to fall in love with each other, if you want.

This can actually happen for at least one class.

For the BH, apparently Mako and Torian can get together, and the player can talk to them about it. If my BH wasn't gunning for Torian herself, that would be the cutest thing ever. :p

This, i totally agree with this, if i want to be gay on one toon and straight on another then thats my prerogative. There never should have been a discrimination between the two in the first place.

I dont even see the need to make any drastic changes to the game anyhow just allow it regardless of the sexual differences. Sure maybe one or two of the conversations might need to be adjusted but it cant be that exhaustive.

Lets be cautious about blaming BioWare for this. Considering this is a licensed Star Wars IP? Any decision to nix same-sex couples would have come from Lucas Arts. BW has championed the cause in the past, and as long as EA gets paid, you can put out whatever for them.

LA has a history of sticking to the conservative side of the line with the IP. I don't really fault them for it, being a money-making venture. Safe bets are better than risks. Especially with something as big as Star Wars. The view is, however, outdated.

At any rate, I doubt we'll see much from the devs about projections, simply because an errant phrase can get misinterpreted and twisted by the community, and backdraft on BioWare a few weeks/months down the road.

LA has a history of sticking to the conservative side of the line with the IP. I don't really fault them for it, being a money-making venture. Safe bets are better than risks. Especially with something as big as Star Wars. The view is, however, outdated.

Perhaps. But by that logic, Lucas himself would hold final say. And Lucas was a huge contributor to anti-Prop Eight campaigns.

2a - Re-write those sections to include the same options for both genders and allow players already past to "Redo" there conversations. (Bit difficult and a lot of reworking)

I honestly don't see this happening because it does seem as though it would be a lot of work and would most likely delay future content that includes more companions and the SS options. However, it maybe delayed anyway if the more companions/SS content is added with either the first or second expansion pack.

(WTB a fully Dark Side/Light Side ship crew as it's kind of hard-ish to RP a fully Dark Side character - or a Dark Side character going Light Side- when you have a Light/Dark Side companion frowning at every choice you make and vice versa for Light Side.) I hope that made sense. :sul_embarrassed:

2b - Create equivalent content for same gender romance at level 50 (or once the CURRENT story arc is finished) So by the end of it EVERYONE has had the same options REGARDLESS of the gender they chose.

This sounds more reasonable. However, that is not to say that the Storyteller Team couldn't try and work with what is already there with some of the existing companions. (Just please don't make them all Bi, BW. This option doesn't seem fit with the personalities of some of the characters, IMHO.)

Edited by LadyNightArrow

My vote is for 2a AND 2b. If I have to pick one, I'd pick 2a.

It would be lovely if romance writing in general was gender neutral. It's not that difficult to do if you plan ahead for it. Additionally, it would also be lovely if every character was theoretically able to be romanced. I liked the suggestion one poster had of letting someone pick their orientation upfront during char gen (or better yet make it a menu option that you can click on and off in preferences).

I'm not interested in male romance options, personally. If I play a male character, he's straight. If I play a female character, she's gay. It's a personal taste. It's also in theory an easy taste for a game designer to satisfy if they choose to.

Yes, I like romance in my rpgs. There's a reason I've never played an MMORPG but I started playing this one; because of my good experience with and therefore faith and trust in Bioware as a company that could deliver more entertainment than simple hack and slash or fetch quests. I hope Bioware continues to justify that faith by expanding this line of content.

Lets be cautious about blaming BioWare for this. Considering this is a licensed Star Wars IP? Any decision to nix same-sex couples would have come from Lucas Arts. BW has championed the cause in the past, and as long as EA gets paid, you can put out whatever for them.

In the end, it doesn't matter who you place the blame on, fact is, its not there. Personally I couldn't give rancor's backside whether it was BW or LA that cut the content, it still results in the same thing.

Back to the OP

2 - Those that happen to pick the "wrong" gender at creation are currently missing out with regards to there story arc, In my example Female sentinel missing out with Kira. There are 2 ways I see to fix this.

2a - Re-write those sections to include the same options for both genders and allow players already past to "Redo" there conversations. (Bit difficult and a lot of reworking)

2b - Create equivalent content for same gender romance at level 50 (or once the CURRENT story arc is finished) So by the end of it EVERYONE has had the same options REGARDLESS of the gender they chose.

Neither of those is a really good option. 2a I don't even see the need for, why would they need to re-write anything? At most, if the companion VO includes use of gender specific pronouns only those lines of VO would need recorded and the same gender PC VO work. I actually wouldn't be surprised at all to find out this was already done and just never implemented.

2b would be terrible. Play the whole way through the game to 50 then getting to initiate the romance? Possibly getting spammed with conversations, etc., and ruining the entire context of the relationship? No thanks.

They simply need to do what they should have done from the start, go back and fix the existing relationships to include the missing content for same gender romances. Why this was so hard to do before release, well, who knows....

Also they do not mention when you create your character that a certain gender is required to be able to get the FULL story available for that class.

Now that isn't true at all. Fem Knights can't romance Kira, sure, but equally, Male Knights can't romance the male love interest meant for Fem Knights, so really, if romancing someone means getting the "full" story then neither gender can experience it.

2a. Since it seems to be both easier and fairer.

And even if true SGRAs would only come with new companions possibly with the next chapter of the story in a few months, at least some of the flirts that you can have with random NPCs throughout the story could be rather easily opened up for flirtations by both genders.

What I find more important is that we get an update on when and how BioWare plans to add SGRAs (a rough estimate like first half of 2012 would be sufficient). If they only come post level 50 in Chapter 4 with a new companion, there is no reason to wait with playing my gay smuggler if they open up Corso it would be better to wait to avoid having to restart.

All I can say is WOW guys/gals.

The response here has been really good and unlike some other threads on the same discussion I have not seen anyone flaming.

So far it seems that Option 2a is most viable due to less work as the Companion Voice overs are already done.

Lets just hope that the guys/gals at Bioware throw us a bone on some details soon, I don't mind waiting But its nice to know what Im waiting for.

Its like your partner goes out to get dinner - You know dinner is comming but in what form ?

2a

tho I certainly would also prefer option 2b - yet that would be.. a bit unreasonable, workwise.

anyway. my poor smuggler feels all lonely and is fighting off many many flirting women.

would love to know when bioware will implement it, even if they say in about 6 months or so I'd be happy to just have a timeframe....

Edited by Doel

2A, for sure. I believe an interview mentioned they planned far into the future, so I think the best bet is to go back and fix all the old companions and dialogue options first before moving forward. Companions would be pretty difficult, so I'd be happy with, as a start, being able to flirt with all the handsome Imperial men on my power hungry little Inquisitor. Lording over an ancient, powerful creature just isn't enough for him.

2A, for sure. I believe an interview mentioned they planned far into the future, so I think the best bet is to go back and fix all the old companions and dialogue options first before moving forward. Companions would be pretty difficult, so I'd be happy with, as a start, being able to flirt with all the handsome Imperial men on my power hungry little Inquisitor. Lording over an ancient, powerful creature just isn't enough for him.

The idea of new companions seems like a very hard and that's just from a writer's perspectives as you'd have to make 8 new characters, all with interesting and different pasts, personalities, dialog and of course relatable missions and scenes when you meet the person for a chat on the ship or something. The extra characters sounds like something that will take quite some time before it's even implimented.

More importantly though, I'd like to see some kind of time frame for implementation.

Hopefully now that they got 1.1 out (because more Rakghouls is really what this game needed /endsarcasm) they can start taking a look at more important things like this. :p

Since I'm a lvl 45 SW that's held off on all other romance as I've been holding out hope for Vette to become a SS romance option, I would definately like to see 2a. Even if i had to pay real money to reset the companion storylines and do them all over again.