Possible theory on how superior end game gear is crafted

SgtSplacker

Was thinking of how the crafting system works and if it is possible to make really good end game gear in it's current state. What inspired this theory is the ease with which you can get critical successes (when using the right companion with high loyalty). I'm an artificer so the below example is with this skill in mind. Now i'm not sure if this is how it really works so the purpose for my post is to confirm my theory or not. This is based off of the understanding that I can have a critical success when performing a RE and also when performing an item craft. And that if the epic item is crafted having a critical every step of the way (crafting and REing) it will be very good.

Craft a green item x10

RE (reverse engineer) the green items

Crit the RE to blue schematic (possibility to get an additional stat here, superior blue item.)

Craft that blue schematic x10

RE the blue items

Crit the RE to receive purple schematic

Craft the purple schematic x10

RE the purple items

Crit the RE to gain an additional stat on the item

Craft the new schematic x10

RE the +stat purple items

Crit the RE to a second additional stat on the item (not sure if you can proc twice but I don’t see why not)

Craft the new schematic with 2 additional stats x10

Get a critical craft so now the item has a total of 3 extra stats…

Questions:

-Is it viable to craft blues until I can crit the RE of a superior blue item? so when it goes purple both additional stats are raised even more?

-Is it viable to RE superior purple items to get a schematic with even more stats?

-So basically the idea is to end up with a purple item that was critted during every crafting phase?

So basically the best items will be crafted like such:

Green Recipe +10STR, +10END

Crit craft green +10STR, +10END, +10Will

Crit RE green +15STR, +15END, +15Will, +15AIM

Crit craft blue +15STR, +15END, +15Will, +15AIM +15FORCE

Crit RE blue +20STR, +20END, +20Will, +20AIM +20FORCE, +20POWER

Crit craft purple +20STR, +20END, +20Will, +20AIM +20FORCE, +20POWER, +20ALACRITY

Edited by SgtSplacker

From what I can see the sticky goes into the basics and does not exactly address what I put in this post. Did I miss something?

Does the sticky address stacking stats like this?

Theres alot of complaints here about crafting not being useful end game, would this make it useful endgame?

I could see it being useful in end game if your theory holds true.

Can purples be RE'd to make better purples? I thought this was not true.

Armoring 5 (green) > Armoring 5 (blue) > Armoring 5 (purple) - And that's that, as far as I know.

In regards to other things like earpieces, I thought the same held true.

Green > Blue (4 variants) > Purple (15 variants) - That's that.

I've often wondered why even have the option of RE'ing a purple? I guess to reclaim mats?

I'm definitely interested in your theories.

I could see it being useful in end game if your theory holds true.

Can purples be RE'd to make better purples? I thought this was not true.

Armoring 5 (green) > Armoring 5 (blue) > Armoring 5 (purple) - And that's that, as far as I know.

In regards to other things like earpieces, I thought the same held true.

Green > Blue (4 variants) > Purple (15 variants) - That's that.

I've often wondered why even have the option of RE'ing a purple? I guess to reclaim mats?

I'm definitely interested in your theories.

This is not completely accurate. The base blue is 3 variants and not 4.

Also, some base recipes (at least for Synthweaving) starts at the blue quality and follow this pattern :

Blue > Purple Tier 1 (3 variants) > Purple Tier 2 (15 variants)

From what I can see the sticky goes into the basics and does not exactly address what I put in this post. Did I miss something?

Does the sticky address stacking stats like this?

Theres alot of complaints here about crafting not being useful end game, would this make it useful endgame?

The sticky is really detailed and accurate. If it's not in the sticky, to the best of my knowledge, it's not in the game. REing gets you different (new) stats on an item. There is not more to it than that. There's no complex method to max out end or a main stat by REing, it will be whatever it is.

Edit: the picture linked in the sticky makes it really clear exactly the effect of REing: http://oi42.tinypic.com/23r1rgm.jpg

Edited by Ithril

Hi OP,

Whilst I would love to think your theory was true, so far we have seen no evidence that RE'ing a Purple Tier 2 item gives you any further schematics.

Obvoiusly it is far easier to prove something than disprove, so I shall not categorically say you are wrong, but I am not a believer at this point in additional Tiers 3/4 being available.

Regards

Wolf

I would love to see a write up from the devs on crew skills similar to what they have done on mods and more recently PvP. Something that would provide insight to questions like these as well as others floating around the forums (ie can you crit on an orange item and add an augment slot?) etc.