Ninjas getting worse

I had a ninja looter this weekend, I noticed he was rolling need on Med Cunning gear when he was a Sin. I tried telling him to stop ninjaing the loot. Then I initiated a Vote to Kick and he tried claiming that he wanted gear for his companions, which we all told him is unacceptable, and he should be asking first before needing on stuff that isn't for his character. He said who cares, so when the vote to kick failed I dropped group, let my guild know his name, added him to my ignore list, and moved on.

I know its been said but there needs to be a system that lets you only need on it if its your main stat since we apparently cant trust people to be courteous about it, especially since you can trade loot even if someone "Needs" for companion the winner can just give them the item sure its an extra step and gamers are lazy but i think we can manage....maybe.

This has been discussed 1000 times over on this forum.

The last time Bioware commented about this was over a year ago, and then they said they would probably change the system.

This topic has been met with silence the last 16 months or so, eventhough players bring this subject up many many times.

Edited by Icestar

I dont know where u guys are or who your playing with but I have never had this problem once, lmao nothing needs done with gear rolls, sucks u guys are havin bad luck lmao

Actually I think that they should add a +100 points to needs on same stat gear, such as Inquisitors would get +100 for Willpower gear, and of course the other classes would get the same. It would at least keep it so that if a Bounty Hunter tries to roll need on a peice of gear that the Sorc Healer needs at least the Sorc would only have to contend with other Inquisitors for it.

This has been discussed 1000 times over on this forum.

The last time Bioware commented about this was over a year ago, and then they said they would probably change the system.

This topic has been met with silence the last 16 months or so, eventhough players bring this subject up many many times.

So 16 months of no comments from Bioware means we should lay down and take it? Sorry it doesn't work like that, the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

So 16 months of no comments from Bioware means we should lay down and take it? Sorry it doesn't work like that, the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

I am one of those that has argued very hard against the current anarchy loot system in many previous threads.

I have not given up, simply accepted that this is one of those topics Bioware does not want to touch for some reason.

I have my theories about a sociological experiment but that is for another thread another time

Edited by Icestar

Companion design also seems to affect how much your class suffers this. As a Sentinel, my stuff rarely if ever was taken for stupid reasons. With Assassin and Powertech, it happened ... pretty much never.

With my Sage, I frequently watched stuff disappear to Jedi Knights. Since it was always a male Jedi Knight, I'm assuming it was related to desperately trying to coerce Kira Carsen into having sex with him.

As Operative, it's just non-stop — it feels like every other group I run with (if not every group, some nights) has someone who thinks they can Need on every Cunning piece, because:

• It's for Mako
  • It's for Quinn
  • It's for Gault
  • It's for Talos
  • It's for Vette
  • It's for Andronikos

Lesson: don't roll a class that uses the same prime stat as everyone's favorite Companions, in a game that offers zero protection against stupid, confused, inexperienced, or just consciously-selfish players endlessly abusing the Need button.

Actually I think that they should add a +100 points to needs on same stat gear, such as Inquisitors would get +100 for Willpower gear, and of course the other classes would get the same. It would at least keep it so that if a Bounty Hunter tries to roll need on a peice of gear that the Sorc Healer needs at least the Sorc would only have to contend with other Inquisitors for it.
This is such a sensible suggestion, I can't comprehend why the system doesn't have it implemented this way baseline.

Of course you'll remember THAT ONE TIME someone stole your goodies in an fp. What you don't recall is the people passing on mounts so you can have what you don't have yet, people not taking gear because it's better for you than them....

On the whole the majority of GF peoples seem to be fairly decent, with only one or two groups a week being bad for me. I get my loot ninja'd? Ignore the guy and drop group right then and there. As I'm the guy tanking, the entire group will likely rag on him for it and hopefully when it disbands rather than waiting 40 minutes for another tank, he'll realize it was a bad idea.

But, as I said, on the whole, people seem fairly courteous and even generous when it comes to loot. But of course, there's always that one guy....

As to why there isn't an advanced class bonus roll or something... Personally, I like rolling need on dps / other gear if my companions can use it AND NOBODY IN THE GROUP ROLLED NEED. I believe it's perfectly fine to either watch the rolls go and need on whatever you want if nobody cares, or ask if you really feel obligated. An advanced class bonus to your roll might impact the ability to get gear for when I respec or to gear out my comps. It's a small issue, but it's there nonetheless.

I suppose if everyone hits greed and you hit need that advanced bonus wouldn't need to be applied since you're the only one that wants it so naturally it can default to you. However, if you completely lock out certain classes rolling on certain stats, there's the issue.

Edited by CyberTronX

I never did like guild groups that all roll on each other's gear so they get what they want for sure.

If I'm playing my assassin for example and I get two sorcs in the group from the same guild needing EVERYTHING with willpower, I'm gonna leave, because there is an extremely high probability I'll get my tank items needed off me "for the mods" or something.

it could slow things..but you can have the lead and switch loot system making people roll.. or run with guild and start needing everything so you have the possibility to catch 50% of the drops and split later

If I leader in a PUG switch lootsystem I instantly leave and place that player on ignore, that is never a good solution.

A guild can never be available 24/7 in all levelranges so groupfinder is a must for the majority of the playerbase.

Split later, sounds complicated. What if someone crashes with all the loot....:tran_angel:

Edited by Icestar

Personally, I like rolling need on dps / other gear if my companions can use it AND NOBODY IN THE GROUP ROLLED NEED.

It will still get you in trouble and probably get you kicked and placed on ignore if you dont ask first.

It is up to you but in the end it is not a good solution to do this.

The majority of the playerbase follows the social rule "greed is for companions" by needing you simply break that

Edited by Icestar

I have found the same on my Server,I tend to just voice my annoyance and then if they do it again just leave the group and place the person on ignore.

That's about all you can do. I follow up by putting the name in guild chat as a ninja so the rest of the guild ignores them too.

I do wish that ignore was account wide, working both ways.

As to why there isn't an advanced class bonus roll or something... Personally, I like rolling need on dps / other gear if my companions can use it AND NOBODY IN THE GROUP ROLLED NEED. I believe it's perfectly fine to either watch the rolls go and need on whatever you want if nobody cares, or ask if you really feel obligated. An advanced class bonus to your roll might impact the ability to get gear for when I respec or to gear out my comps. It's a small issue, but it's there nonetheless..
That doesn't really make sense, because if the person doesn't Need it, they'll roll Greed or Pass. So you can still Need and get it for your companion — you just can't get it over someone who would actually be equipping it for their player character.

If your argument is, "But now stuff might get ninja'd from my companions when everyone's fully geared!" ... well, I'm sorry, but I'm going to argue that is an astronomically more trivial concern than stuff getting taken from actual players to feed a disposable NPC used only on solo missions or gimmick FP runs.

As for "when you respec", no one changes what armor type or primary stat they use when they respec. So that's just flat-out a non-issue.

I agree that WoW's solution — gray out the Need button completely for certain classes — is ham-fisted and unpleasant, and prone to mis-categorization errors locking out legitimate gear from people. IMO, the "+100 to your prime stat rolls" is the correct solution here and would basically close the topic down completely as far as Group Finder is concerned.

A guild can never be available 24/7 in all levelranges so groupfinder is a must for the majority of the playerbase.
This is true, as I've said I play at completely unpredictable times so while I do have people I like to group with, they're not always available / online. And sometimes, it's just fun to meet new people — I've met a lot of cool people in Group Finder.

I guess my opinion here is that while yes, ninja'ing / etiquette issues are always a danger in "blind date" gameplay situations like Group Finder — that doesn't mean you should deliberately ignore a chance to improve the system. And a +100 bonus to prime stat rolls is am improvement with near-zero negative repercussions that would flat-out solve the issues almost completely.

You would still have people taking gear they don't actually need anymore (just to take it), or friends/guildies of the same class Needing everything to hoard for themselves, but these are more minority situations and they're also almost impossible to identify / sort out mechanically. So this enters "lost cause" territory.

On the other hand, It's essentially impossible to be wrong about a Marauder rolling Need on a Heavy Aim chestpiece.

Edited by SW_display_name

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a level 53 Marauder take a pair of Black Hole Cunning pants from my Operative healer in False Emperor.

He insisted they were "perfect for a Marauder" because they had "Endurance", then became angry at me when I pointed out my prime stat was Cunning because he claimed "his prime stat is Endurance". He told they were "much better for him" because he got "400 more Health" from equipping them.

He then immediately dropped group.

~~~

You can argue "well don't use Group Finder". Yes, that's true, and I'm very nearly at that point — I like to use it when no one I know is online, but my Ignore list can only get so long, and it's not prescient. Maybe it is time to stop bothering with random groups.

But here's the problem — think about that statement. That's not a healthy thing for someone to be feeling. The more people that get driven out of Group Finder with these frustrations, the lower the quality of the queue pool and the more threads from confused DPS going "Why are my queues so long?!?!".

Or, BioWare could just improve the looting system to prevent clueless and/or stupid and/or selfish people from doing abusive things to their party members. Yes, you'll still have the frustrations of making PUGs work tactically, and that will still drive people away from the queue system to some degree.

But I'm personally willing to work with rough groups and explain tactics. I'm reaching the edge of how much more I'll put up with people being able to freely take gear upgrades from me just because they feel like it. When people don't trust the queue system to protect them from being betrayed, they're much less motivated to queue with random people. Think about that.