So when are we getting that free name change?

Soobydoo

This we noted back a few months ago, but we have yet to get it for us subscribers, what gives BW?

I had done a search for "free name change" in the forum search but every link that was in old post that showed them saying this have been replaced with new links. So, don't have a links for you but if you do the same search, i can assure you that they did post that subscribers were so post to get a free name change.

Here the best one i found, so from now on I'm just going to have to screen shot the information they post because they seem to go back on their word often.

Quote:

PLAYER CONVENIENCE SERVICES

Take advantage of a number of new Convenience Services that further enhance your gameplay experience. You can individually purchase the ability to change each of the following in the Consumables section of the Cartel Market:

Character Rename

Legacy Rename

Guild Rename

Escrow Deduction: If you are a Free-to-Play or Preferred Status Player who is at your credit cap, you can transfer credits from your Escrow (overflow) account to your game account. For more information, visit: http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/free/features.

NOTE: Subscribers receive one free Character Rename. Not a Subscriber? Subscribe now.

Edited by Soobydoo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still waiting for it as well. I have just one character i want to rename, so not wasting CC nor credits on something i was promised to have for free.

Yeah i know right, I too just had one guy i wanted to change, but when it came out they said we would get our free one on a later date. My guess is that they wanted to get as much money as they can before giving out the well deserved free name change to their loyal subscribers that have been paying them. I would assume that it would just take a week after it went live, to get all of the people who just couldn't wait for the free one and just cave into spend their money, so, what give BW?

• Dev Post

Well timed, I just got an update on this today and didn't want to have to necro a thread on the topic!

If you look at our landing page for Game Update 2.1 we mentioned that all subscribers will be getting their free name change in June. Around that same time I made a post on the forums that our target was to get that in for Game Update 2.2. Unfortunately it looks like that we are still working through some things to get that in place and it will not be coming with 2.2.

Our current plan is that this will still happen in June, just not with Game Update 2.2.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Well timed, I just got an update on this today and didn't want to have to necro a thread on the topic!

If you look at our landing page for Game Update 2.1 we mentioned that all subscribers will be getting their free name change in June. Around that same time I made a post on the forums that our target was to get that in for Game Update 2.2. Unfortunately it looks like that we are still working through some things to get that in place and it will not be coming with 2.2.

Our current plan is that this will still happen in June, just not with Game Update 2.2.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Quick question, one free name change per account or per character?

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Thanks for the fast reply Eric, appreciated. :cool:

Thanks everyone.

-eric

And why don't you just grant the ammount of CC it costs to every subscriber? While i appreciate the reply, i do think it's pretty bad to actually promote being a subscriber with the sentiment of "Get a free name change, sign up today" when it's in fact not so.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Wouldnt it just be easier to send all subscribers a rename token from the cartel market to use?

Wouldnt it just be easier to send all subscribers a rename token from the cartel market to use?

No kidding.. This is a pretty simple fix if you ask me. Personally I have the "Those that don't want to wait will buy it instead" mentality.

BAIT and SWITCH.. or as Styrak would say "Smoke and Mirrors..."

Edited by dscount

How, exactly, would that work? What if someone has toons on multiple servers? Where does BW send the token?

And for the CC idea... not good. What's to stop people from spending those CC on something else? The idea of what they're doing is not to provide us with a certain dollar value... it is to provide a nice service that people have been crying about for ages.

No kidding.. This is a pretty simple fix if you ask me. Personally I have the "Those that don't want to wait will buy it instead" mentality.

BAIT and SWITCH.. or as Styrak would say "Smoke and Mirrors..."

How is your lack of patience a bait and switch?

Unfortunately it looks like that we are still working through some things to get that in place and it will not be coming with 2.2.
Wow, what a very simple solution to a problem that is SOOOOOOOOOOOO HARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD.

I know he can't, but I'd love for Eric or any of the community people to finally admit that ANY of the decisions made that screw the players in some way is really all about money. There's no other legitimate explanation as to why we didn't all receive tokens or some other form of free rename the minute 2.1: Cash Money dropped. There's patience, and then there's simply not getting what was promised because of 'miscommunication' time and time again.

Edited by Octom

• Dev Post

Actually, this is sort of how it is going to work! The problem we run into with just sending a rename token is where do we send it? Let's say you have characters on multiple servers, how could we know which server you want the character rename on? If everyone only played on one server, it would be a bit simpler.

What we are going to do in order to solve this problem is launch a character rename page on the website. From there you will be able to select exactly which character you want the rename for on your account. Once you have selected that specific character, we will mail you, in-game, a token to rename them. This will allow us to get around the potential issue I highlighted above.

I agree the solution you proposed is a fairly simple one, but unfortunately it just wouldn't work for a portion of our playerbase.

Edited by EricMusco

What we are going to do in order to solve this problem is launch a character rename page on the website. From there you will be able to select exactly which character you want the rename for on your account. Once you have selected that specific character, we will mail you, in-game, a token to rename them. This will allow us to get around the potential issue I highlighted above.

What a great idea! That way, people who don't want to rename won't have that annoying flashing icon in the UI like we had with the legacy rename, and we can still make use of it sometime in the future. :)

It's always good to hear updates, keep it up!

Actually, this is sort of how it is going to work! The problem we run into with just sending a rename token is where do we send it? Let's say you have characters on multiple servers, how could we know which server you want the character rename on? If everyone only played on one server, it would be a bit simpler.

I agree the solution you proposed is a fairly simple one, but unfortunately it just wouldn't work for a portion of our playerbase.

So.. Give all SUBS 1k CC's instead and spend the time/labor on something else. Some folks don't care about the rename and others would be excited to see this resolved finally.

Wow, what a very simple solution to a problem that is SOOOOOOOOOOOO HARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD.

I know he can't, but I'd love for Eric or any of the community people to finally admit that ANY of the decisions made that screw the players in some way is really all about money.

Looks to me that in this case, they're actually taking time and resources to do it right and give everyone a fair option, rather than just taking the easy route.

So.. Give all SUBS 1k CC's instead and spend the time/labor on something else. Some folks don't care about the rename and others would be excited to see this resolved finally.

Just because you don't want a free rename, it does not entitle you to getting something else free instead. If a restaurant is offering a free slice of pie, would you go in and say "I don't like pie, just give me a free sandwich instead"?

Edited by chuixupu

Just because you don't want a free rename, it does not entitle you to getting something else free instead. If a restaurant is offering a free slice of pie, would you go in and say "I don't like pie, just give me a free sandwich instead"?

I've got a rename all ready to go. I was waiting for Tuesday to do the swapping out of my name, but apparently that's not going to happen now.

If said Sandwich is just as easy to deliver and of equal value then YES I would go in and say that, but that's not the case here.

How is your lack of patience a bait and switch?

To be frank - They deployed a cash version of this, but the free one was not available at the same time. Now we are going to wait a couple more weeks. Annoyed is the term I would use, but not lack of patience. I've had my name saved for awhile now waiting for this promised free feature.

Edited by dscount

Looks to me that in this case, they're actually taking time and resources to do it right and give everyone a fair option, rather than just taking the easy route.

He can ask for the sandwich. It's up to the restaurant whether he gets the sandwich or not. It's not up to the other guy eating at the restaurant aka you.

Add the token as an unclaimed item in the Cartel Market. That is account wide and can only be claimed once.