Difficulty solo levelling

Banicks

Hi All,

I am having extreme difficulty levelling my Marauder solo. I am currently doing the bonus missions of Nar Shadaa.

I have struggled since the start of this bonus line - generally the only way I could complete most missions was to proceed to the mob I need which usually consisted of one strong and 2 normals, kill the normals, die, resurrect and kill the strong.

I am using Quinn to try and stay alive, geared him as best I can but his heals can't keep up with the amount of damage I keep taking.

I've read the basics of this class, doing the correct rotation but I always seem to be lacking in high damage output consistantly waiting for cooldowns, or at the other end of the spectrum having no rage at all.

I can't figure out why I die so quickly, why Quinn can't keep me up and why my damage output isn't quick enough to survive mob fights.

First, what level are you?

Second, what level is the mission you are attempting?

Third, what level is the gear you and your companion are wearing?

Fourth, what spec are you trying to run, and what skills do you have so far?

Fifth, what rotation are you attempting?

Answering those will help people to help you.

I dont know if you have same issue with republic bonus series on Nar Shadda, but Republic bonus series is 31-33 level, while nar shadda is like 23-26 or something like that. You may be beter of going to Tattoine and then coming back for bonus series.

First, what level are you?

Second, what level is the mission you are attempting?

Third, what level is the gear you and your companion are wearing?

Fourth, what spec are you trying to run, and what skills do you have so far?

Fifth, what rotation are you attempting?

Answering those will help people to help you.

1 - Level 31

2 - Mission level inidicates yellow, mobs I'm up against are level 30-31.

3 - Companion is in Rank 66 gear. I'm wearing mostly Rank 50 through to a few 76 items.

4 - Annihilation : http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100MIbRRRZh.1

5 - Rotation below:

Force Charge

Ravage

Battering Assault

Deadly Saber

Cloak of Pain

Rupture

When that lot is on CD:

Assault

Vicious Slash

(1 & 2 rotation and attempting to keep 4-6 rage points ready for CD dumping points with Slash when reaching closer to 8)

Retaliation - when proc

Interupt where possible on harder attacks

1 - Level 31

3 - Companion is in Rank 66 gear. I'm wearing mostly Rank 50 through to a few 76 items.

5 - Rotation below:

Force Charge

Ravage

Battering Assault

Deadly Saber

Cloak of Pain

Rupture

When that lot is on CD:

Assault

Vicious Slash

(1 & 2 rotation and attempting to keep 4-6 rage points ready for CD dumping points with Slash when reaching closer to 8)

Retaliation - when proc

Hit cloak of pain more often. The CD reduction on retaliation can maybe help you having it more often.

Can't remember the level you have it, but Obfuscate, if you have it, can be casted on the strong.

Also I suggest moving Deadly Saber up before ravage, and Rupture needs to be in that Rotation ASAP. If you have at level 31 the kick on slowed immobilized enemies (can't remember the level you get it at) its a very useful dispatcher for normal mobs.

Force charge -> kick -> deadly saber -> battering assault -> rupture -> ravage.

Hitting smash in that rotation can work. Don't forget you also have Force Choke to use against stronger enemies.

As far as rotation goes vs 1 strong 1 normal : force charge/kick the normal, deadly saber, DoT the strong, finish the normal with AoE if its still alive.

Getting Short Fuse (2 extra fury built on rage spender) and Defensive Forms (Carnage tree tier 1 ability, 2 fury build when hit) also help having a maximum Berserk up time.

Also confirm Quinn is on Med Watch stance. It makes a good difference if he isn't.

yep had serous hassle leveling as a marauder -

only thing i can say that might help =

when cloak is up use it,

remember that call on the force refreshes saber cloak and heals you 2% every sec for 6 sec.

when you charge in target trash first - use kick when you land (should kill or severely hurt) then i use smash and use pommel strike on other trash before moving on to champ.

silver champs always gave me more hassle then golds.

remember your interrupts - choke and interrupt - you get notification when they start using a skill - watch for the bar and interrupt - that is the most crucial.

camouflage is handy to take the pressure off yourself - directs attention to your companion. gives you a breather - .

and lastly if you kill something in a story area - it stays dead - handy way to beat bosses - just beat the adds then concentrate on bosses (thats what i did)

bare in mind it gets much tougher to lvl once you hit 40ish

Edited by excaliburhc

Make sure you have Quinn in healing mode and not the default DPS mode.

Common error.

This,

AND

you say you have him geared the best you can, but what type of gear do you have him in?

the only stat you need to concentrate on for him is Cunning, period.

You should be facerolling through those 2 normals and a strong and finishing with 100% health.

In fact, you should be able to take on 2 strongs and an elite all your level, but your gear has to be pretty good.

bottom line, it all boils down to gear.

First off, you need to hit deadly saber in the middle of your charge. You need to get that 3 stack as quick as possible. Then go rupture to get your bleeds up and going so you can get some heals rolling in. Also, don't forget obsufercate. It drops melee and range accuracy down 90% for 6 sec. Also, even though your anni, using slam on normals helps, it stuns them for a few sec. My rotation for that situation is.

Charge (deadly mid charge)

Rupture strong and 3 stack deadly.

Slam

Ravage on strong

Refresh deadly

Rinse repeat.

Throw obsufercate if needed, cloak of pain ect.

I noticed my wife having problems dieing, or almost with her sorc. Her problem was rotation, and spec. Also this game does get tough when your fighting even level stuff.

Gear is important, but with this class esp, rotation is key. Don't forget your bleeds are healing you. Keep them up at all times. Also slam, and scream will stun normals, use them. I'm steamrolling content with this class, I am supported by my cybertech main so I can stay pretty well geared, but rotation is most important. Practice on some lesser stuff. You'll get it. And when you do, you'll love the class.

Try popping deadly saber while in mid air from your charge. This will make sure that your first attack when you get to the mob adds a stack from it. I have personally never found any use from the kick ability. Also, I forget when you get pommel, but it is great when teamed up with force scream. Granted it will only work on standard/weak targets like kick does. I honestly dislike these abilities due to the fact that they are not useable on players when they are incapacitated. Pretty much makes them worthless since they have very limited use.

How is your gear, and your companions gear. Have you done all of the heroics to get the commendations and Orange quality armor? I can see how it might be difficult if you are only wearing regular quest greens.

Also I found that if you are using your skills right, Vette makes a much better companion than Quinn. Sure he can heal, but it takes forever to kill something. I just point Vette to the first target and let her start before I jump in. Usually the first mob dies in like half a second. Then I turn and put my dots on the second which makes him die fast also. Rinse and repeat.

From what I have heard the Sith Warrior class is very gear dependent. Just make sure you take the time to gear up for the level and area you are at, and you will be a killing machine.

Good luck.

I just noticed your spec as well. Take those 2 points out of cloak, and put them in quick recovery. Cloak is more of a carnage filler talent. Also, you need dual mastery, but I would take those 3 points and put em into annahialation tree. The quicker you get to annahailation the better. I would post my build but I'm on my phone, and its a pain.

Also if your having trouble staying alive, I would keep Quinn out. And don't forget, you can pvp to get a nice full mod'ble set of gear at 40 that will help you. It sounds like you might not be a pvper, and you will prob die a lot, but its worth it if you need a full set of gear. By all means keep posting, the mara board is full of helpful players.

Try popping deadly saber while in mid air from your charge. This will make sure that your first attack when you get to the mob adds a stack from it. I have personally never found any use from the kick ability. Also, I forget when you get pommel, but it is great when teamed up with force scream. Granted it will only work on standard/weak targets like kick does. I honestly dislike these abilities due to the fact that they are not useable on players when they are incapacitated. Pretty much makes them worthless since they have very limited use.

Kick works wonderfully in a BG setting because everyone is stacking abilities that cause movement slows-- including Ruptre if you take that skill in your tree. Kick and Pommel hit very hard and are on different timers as well.

Plus they are really cool to chain.

I'm about the same level as the op and having no trouble at all leveling, in fact its almost as easy as my sorc, and I solo champions easy.

Force charge ---- deadly saber mid charge ----- battering assault ----- rupture --- slash or assault Untill 3 charges ---- ravage

Rinse and repeat, I usually will pop cloak of pain early and then saber ward towards the middle to end, at 30 Stacks of fury I make sure I have 3 deadly saber dots rolling along with rupture and then bam pop berserk and with a force choke things will die and Quinn has no probs keeping me up, I also have him in the IA pvp gear,

I also pop my relics and I'm biochem makes the leveling experience so much easier, just keep with it

I just noticed your spec as well. Take those 2 points out of cloak, and put them in quick recovery. Cloak is more of a carnage filler talent. Also, you need dual mastery, but I would take those 3 points and put em into annahialation tree. The quicker you get to annahailation the better. I would post my build but I'm on my phone, and its a pain.

Also if your having trouble staying alive, I would keep Quinn out. And don't forget, you can pvp to get a nice full mod'ble set of gear at 40 that will help you. It sounds like you might not be a pvper, and you will prob die a lot, but its worth it if you need a full set of gear. By all means keep posting, the mara board is full of helpful players.

Kick works wonderfully in a BG setting because everyone is stacking abilities that cause movement slows-- including Ruptre if you take that skill in your tree. Kick and Pommel hit very hard and are on different timers as well.

Plus they are really cool to chain.

What is a BG setting? If you are referring to Battlegrounds (Warzones), neither Kick nor Pommel will work there.

I started leveling as Annhialation as well and had all of the same problem you did. I suggest you give Rage a try. I leveled as rage and it is a joke for solo leveling. It goes like this.... charge the elite, force choke to 3-4 smash. If the regular adds are not dead.... they will be very close to it .... finish the normals off an polish off the elite. It gets even easier at level 40 with force crush.

something that I have found with annhialation ( if you really want to level as anni) is that when oyu have multiple mobs (3+) it works better (for me anyway) to use a DPS companion

I started leveling as Annhialation as well and had all of the same problem you did. I suggest you give Rage a try. I leveled as rage and it is a joke for solo leveling. It goes like this.... charge the elite, force choke to 3-4 smash. If the regular adds are not dead.... they will be very close to it .... finish the normals off an polish off the elite. It gets even easier at level 40 with force crush.

something that I have found with annhialation ( if you really want to level as anni) is that when oyu have multiple mobs (3+) it works better (for me anyway) to use a DPS companion

I forgot to add this , bit this guy is right. Rage is an easier spec to play. It also does well in pvp. You can get some huge smash and scream crits. I guess it all depends on what you want to do in end game. Since I planned on pvping at 50 with anni, I chose to lvl with it so I could get used to it. It's a tougher playstyle because you have a lot of tools at your disposal, and it can get confusing as to what your supposed to use, and not use. Just don't go carnage, and you should be fine.

1 - Level 31

5 - Rotation below:

Force Charge

Ravage

Battering Assault

Deadly Saber

Cloak of Pain

Rupture

When that lot is on CD:

Assault

Vicious Slash

Retaliation - when proc

Your doing it all wrong, I'm a level 35 mara, I don't have trouble leveling and I dont use Quinn. First thing understand the way they made the game, you will always be fighting multiple enemies at once. To take less damage you must kill them ALL quickly.

First thing wrong pop Cloak as soon as your health his < 90%, retaliation will get it back.

Next thing use Ravage then use SMASH -- this move stuns all the enemies SO THEY CANT ATTACK.

Third thing, get rupture up immediately so you start healing yourself sooner.

Those are the main things, also you might want to switch your talents up

tier 1 : Move 1 point into QR more smashes = more dead and stunned enemies. You want to pull another point from somewhere up the line to add to this too. I just dont mind 66% in Enraged Slash.

Tier2: Rupture will be come a refresh-able spam-able slow. I pvp alot so this is nice for me.

tier3 : cool

tier4: I have 2 in shortfuse and 1 in close quarters and none in subjugation, Why?

shortfuse = should not have to explain. ( IF you dont get it switch classes )

close quarters makes Charge a rage builder now and flipping is always cool, but under 5 yards you should just run.

subj: I dont know what obfuscate is and we have extra interrupts like choke and smash.

That should do it. ALSO screw Quinn and get Vette some better guns. Seriously look at her damage....

1 - Level 31

5 - Rotation below:

Force Charge

Ravage

Battering Assault

Deadly Saber

Cloak of Pain

Rupture

When that lot is on CD:

Assault

Vicious Slash

Retaliation - when proc

Lots of mostly good advice here, I'll add my own...

1) Update your gear, you should be wearing all oranges/blues of level, or close to it. Check the GTN for gear, or ask your guild (if no guild, find one) to help out. Get lvl 31 mods if possible. Mara are a very gear dependent class, you'll notice a huge improvement just doing that. Updating your pet to max is very important also.

2) Build advice: lose the 3 pts in dual wield. That is a builder talent for carnage, and a filler talent for anni/rage later. Your offhand accuracy just isn't good enough to make that talent matter until you can get some +acc mods in the mid to late 30's. Spend those 3 pts in your anni spec, I suggest a point in close quarters, and the other two pulverize. malice could be useful, but getting the 31 in your main spec is more useful.

3) Rotation: As others said, move saber up, you can cast that while in the air of force charge. And get rupture in soon after. Follow it up with a batter and a vicious slash, as VS will now help you get rupture back quicker. Ravage is more of a filler talent for anni than a bread & butter move (that's carnage). Anni is all about the dots, you want them ticking away non-stop to get maximum effect.

4) Obfusicate is one of, if not the, best debuffs in the game, use it early, use it often. If it is a gold with some friends, use it on the gold, if it is a silver with some friends, use it on the silver. Use your interrupts when available on channeled abilities, it doesn't take long before you know which ones are the important ones to stop.

5) Savage kick: ignore talk of this, you don't get it until 36 or 37 iirc.

Now, if all this doesn't help, or perhaps you can't update the gear, then I suggest you skip the bonus series, and move on to the next planet in the class quest, and come back after. It will be much easier with a level advantage. If you are having troubles on that planet too, then I suggest a spec change might be in order. Personally, I switched to rage from anni, and found it more my style of play.

When killing strong mobs the trick is to allways prio deadly and rupture. When facing a strong and a few standards the trick is to keep the standard ones from attacking you.

charge

smash

pommel strike

(battering assault if low on rage)

force scream the other mob to cc him

slash

ravage to kill other standard

then you just got the stron left but your hp should be fairly high (esp if you used cloak of pain) and you should be able to finnish him fairly easy. if you are low consider using force choke or camo to get a breather.

The main focus here is not to insanely nuke and kill them off as quick as possible but to keep the weak ones from attacking you. This will lowerdamage taken significantly as both weak mobs should be dead before they can do barely anything. In other words dont waste rage on putting deadly saber on standard mobs they die before you get use of your charges and use the rage for additional cc.

Also something to look out for, somtimes quinn starts to cc the standard mob and let the strong one dish out damage without you healing. attack the mob if so to interupt the cc. If he ccs the strong mob though it´s a good thing