View Single Post

Sanguiluna
01.13.2016 , 08:44 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Ntol View Post
I completely disagree. IMHO the yuuzhan vong were maybe one of the most interesting things ever in Star Wars. Before that the EU stories were mainly: "oh no, thereīs this dangerous situation, but donīt worry no one will die and everything will stay the same".
Personally the Yuuzhan Vong really felt Star Wars-y to me. And if TFA has shown us anything, it's that "no one important will die" is certainly not true in this new canon; even moreso:

Spoiler

Quote:
Also, I cannot understand how so many people are perfectly alright with so many stories being decanonized. For one, the new canon should at least be better than the old one (if you want to decanonize something, why not TPM?), and for what Iīve seen so far thatīs far from happening.
I was bummed about all the Old Republic stuff being decanonized. I wasn't too broken up about the post-RotJ stuff just because as soon as they announced Episode VII back in 2012, I already knew that they were going to end up rendering most if not all of the post-RotJ EU non-canon, so I was able to prepare myself. Plus, I always understood that the entire EU was based on two principles: 1) the primacy of the films. This has been true since day one; if a film contradicts something in the EU, then the EU thing is non-canon and it's up to a writer to either retcon it or leave it non-canon; and 2) that the EU's main purpose was to serve as a "placeholder" (i.e. since there's no sequel trilogy, here's a substitute) for any future film, and that if any new films were to be made, then the EU could then be "retired" since it will have fulfilled its purpose. So it wasn't a surprise to me when they had TFA override it; that's how SW has always worked. Think of the EU as Denethor, Steward of Gondor from Lord of the Rings, and think of the films as Aragorn.

Quote:
And what if 30 years from now another company buys Star Wars and starts all over again? Will you agree with that too?
When Disney bought Lucasfilm, they kept all the G-Canon stuff canon because they knew that if they decanonized any of it, it would cause the entire story to not make sense. Seeing as how pretty much all material released now is "G-Canon", if Lucasfilm ever gets bought again (btw the chances of this happening are about as high as SWTOR servers becoming lag-free) they'd have to keep all the "G-Canon" material or else the entire story wouldn't make sense anymore.
It is always midnight in the writer's soul.