Please stop telling people to press spacebar

Cretinus

As it has been stated ad nausem and ad infinitum, in the myriad of threads that already exist on this very subject ( search is your friend), there is a simple solution to fix this problem:

Add a feature in LFG to select "no space bar" and agrigate people into like minded groups. Simple fix. Perhaps too simple. It's obvious really. :rolleyes:

And in the very same threads there is an explanation on why this would only make things worse.

If you have 2 separate queues, the majority of people (those who prefer to skip and those who don't care) will join the option without convos. Which will increase waiting times for the "no space bar" option to the point, where even those who would like to see the story are forced to join the undesirable queue, since a run without cutscenes > no run at all.

How am "I" being a jerk?! "I" am the one willing to go with majority opinion. YOU are the closed minded one who refuses to spacebar. YOU are the elitist in this scenario, not ME. I suggest you be a team player if you wanna group with others. If you don't, I really have no sympathy for you at all.

I love this post.

So if you want to play through a flashpoint the way it's supposed to be played (else there wouldn't be any cutscenes there in the first place), then you are close minded and an elitist. If you are willing to bend under other people, to sacrifice your own fun in order to make the run a couple of minutes shorter for them, then you are a good man.

Edited by Trollokdamus

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How am "I" being a jerk?! "I" am the one willing to go with majority opinion. YOU are the closed minded one who refuses to spacebar. YOU are the elitist in this scenario, not ME. I suggest you be a team player if you wanna group with others. If you don't, I really have no sympathy for you at all.

Did I call you a jerk? No. I said don't be a jerk. Where did I say I personally refuse to spacebar? I said "I" in my earlier post as an example. Again, I usually do spacebar. But that's beside the point. You have presented no evidence that your opinion is the majority, only speculation. You are talking about vote kicking other people for playing the game the way it was intended, and I'm the elitist?

I know right, who the hell wants to enjoy the story content that this game is marketed for? right guys?

:rolleyes:

This-this-this.

Don't like the story? Then you just skip it yourself and wait for the rest of the group to hear the story, or you leave the group and find one willing to spacebar. There is nothing, repeat nothing, wrong with waiting for someone to listen to the story? Only BT/Esseles have serious story - the others have, what, maybe five minutes of story total? There's a thing called patience, right? Mmm?

And in the very same threads there is an explanation on why this would only make things worse.

If you have 2 separate queues, the majority of people (those who prefer to skip and those who don't care) will join the option without convos. Which will increase waiting times for the "no space bar" option to the point, where even those who would like to see the story are forced to join the undesirable queue, since a run without cutscenes > no run at all.

And the solution to that is Cross Server Queues. Works just fine. Game is dead, and dieing, people have to quit using the "community" meme to counter Cross Server Queues. Don't complain about wait times if you want to keep Queues single server only. The extra option plus cross server is the answer. If there is one group of people that can't find others to play with then TOUGH. They will have to go with the majority and either press or NOT press the space bar as the majority stipulates. If they don't like it then THEY can do the WORK to put together a group of like minded people ( may be even join a freaking guild ) instead of QQ'ing and being lazy and whining over not being able to play the way the want without ANY effort on their parts what so ever. :cool:

You can't eat your cake and have it too! :rolleyes:

Edited by Urael

I don't have a problem with people who choose to watch the cutscenes, while I have seen them a lot, I don't pay for their account and refuse to tell them how to play.

Problem I have is when I created my first pub toon that I actually took through flashpoints, I had never done Taral 5 and Maelstorm. I was up front about this and when I chose to watch the cutscenes, I was kicked out of the group as it was 3 guildmates that were the group and myself. Again, I told them I had not seen the Taral 5 stuff and was going to watch it, no reply, kicked out of group and this was story mode.

Edited by Gaoree

I pretty much spacebar because everyone else does. However there is one cut scene which I will not spacebar through. When you tell the trooper in Boarding Party to shut the captain up, and she cops a pistol whip right in the face :D Must watch lol I never get tired of it.

And the solution to that is Cross Server Queues. Works just fine. Game is dead, and dieing, people have to quit using the "community" meme to counter Cross Server Queues. Don't complain about wait times if you want to keep Queues single server only. The extra option plus cross server is the answer. If there is one group of people that can't find others to play with then TOUGH. They will have to go with the majority and either press or NOT press the space bar as the majority stipulates. If they don't like it then THEY can do the WORK to put together a group of like minded people ( may be even join a freaking guild ) instead of QQ'ing and being lazy and whining over not being able to play the way the want without ANY effort on their parts what so ever. :cool:

You can't eat your cake and have it too! :rolleyes:

I have always been a supporter of cross-server queues, though i don't see how they are a solution for this. A short-term one maybe, but in the long run the "no spacebar" queue is still going to reach an unplayable state and become abandoned. It will just slow the process.

Really... I just don't see why this is a big deal. I'll spacebar but if someone wants to watch the cutscenes, HM or not, it shouldn't be a problem. Even if it takes more time, it shouldn't be a problem. After all... what are you going to go do with your minutes saved.... jump around on the fleet?

No... its simple. Everyone plays the way they want to play. If the spacebar maniacs start whining who cares. And if they want to kick someone for it and I have anything to do with it, they better kick me too.

This is a game, not a job, it should be enjoyed in whatever way you see fit. And if that means a speed run, talk to the group up front about it.

And for those that are arguing that not "spacebarring" takes too much time? BS. With all the mobs we can skip and in some cases bosses, you make up that time.

If you don't have time to play? Then... why are you playing?

I stand by my first post on this topic. I will add that I will usually ask as we enter if a speed run with spacebars is ok. Most of the time it is, but sometimes we get the occasional new player that hasn't seen the content before. I will continue to reserve my wrath for those that insist that spacebar is the only way and insist that it must be used.

It's ok to ask, it's not ok to demand.

Scream spacebar repeatedly in one of my runs and you'll be the one vote kicked. Ask nicely and you will get a lot farther.

I will tolerate a lot of things, treating fellow players like crap is not one of them.

Yes, I'm a tank. Don't like playing nice with others? Want to be rude and abusive? Go find another group because you're not worth the effort to try to reason with.

It's not about you requesting that we hit the spacebar on conversations, nor is it even about the length of time it takes to do the run, it's about the minority dictating to the majority and demanding it go their way. Your right to spam "spacebar" is blocked by my ability to vote kick you for being a self entitled dick if it becomes too irritating.

Being a geared tank running with a geared guild healer means that no matter how much ragequit aggro you bring, the group at large is likely to survive any rage you bring and ensures that I'll certainly be doing my best to make known to anybody paying attention on fleet all about your whiny entitled baby attitude and indefensible attempt to bully a group into doing your bidding.

Here's another fact: When the tank and healer agree on the subject, guess how far your wannabe mega hyper speed run will get and guess how much longer it'll take in group finder if you ragequit and have to start over.

YOU do not dictate to ME how I run, how I tank or play. Period. I don't mind spacebar runs and I don't mind story runs, even in hardmode. It's not your place to tell me or anybody else in the group how to play. Don't like it? Don't queue.

Again: I started this topic NOT as a discussion about whether to spacebar, or not to spacebar.

It was intended to be about people TELLING other people to spacebar. Because it is absolutely pointless, since everybody is aware of the spacebar option. So if you see that someone is not spacebaring, just live with it, or quit, or try a kick vote. To keep writing into the chat "pls spacebar" is absurd because the reason why the guy isn't spacebaring is simply that he wants to see the story and surely not that he doesn't know how to skip the cut scenes. To tell him to spacebar amounts to telling him not to want to see the story, instead of wanting. This doesn't make any sense. This is what this topic was intended to be about.

Edited by Cretinus

I understand that. But if people don't press spacebar because they don't want to, for whatever reason, it's still pointless to tell them to do so. It is mega annoying to have to read the press-spacebar-flame-spam when it's clear that one member simply wants to see the scene. He won't spacebar because he doesn't want to, not because nobody told him to do it.

I read you. I havent had this happen to me yet but i'm sure it will. When it does i'll just ignore them :) I havent played since january so there are lots of FP's and OP's that i hadnt done so yeah i'm gonna enjoy the story. Just that once but i'm not gonna spacebar that first time anyway.

I'm also not about to bug someone else to do so. I mean ..enough time is saved with all the mob skipping people do these days.. its nuts.

This-this-this.

Don't like the story? Then you just skip it yourself and wait for the rest of the group to hear the story, or you leave the group and find one willing to spacebar. There is nothing, repeat nothing, wrong with waiting for someone to listen to the story? Only BT/Esseles have serious story - the others have, what, maybe five minutes of story total? There's a thing called patience, right? Mmm?

Exactly. its not even that long. Go to the bathroom or something. Its amazing how someone " not " hitting the spacebar hurts peoples feelings. heh wow those are the same people who prob have a problem with people who accidentally pull some " skipped " mobs. I mean there are more groups of skipped mobs then downed ones now anyway.

Putting my 2 cents in here :p

If its a FP I really really love (like the Foundry - I'm a KOTOR fan) I will sit there - on HM and watch as the bad-*** droid comes out - or as Revan is talking. I will NOT hit the spacebar if you are having a hissy-fit and can't take 2 minutes out of your time to watch something that I thoroughly enjoy. I remember one time I was with my tank friend and this guy was so rude about the whole thing we literally RP walked through the entire FP :p

That being said - I usually run with my friends (we are a TANK/HEALER/DPS) combo. We do have the common courtesy to let people know if we are not going to be skipping mobs, cutscenes, ect. Usually we'll say 'Hey - we're not spacebaring - if you'd like to leave nows the time'.

Edited by NightBlizzard

Here's a little hint about using spacebar:

If you hit it, or do not hit it, it hardly matters. Why? Because there's an automated delay already built into the game for the server to the client dealing with cutscenes. This delay can't be avoided, and takes almost as much time as playing the entire cutscene in some cases.

Some of us have tested this, for instance, on BT when you ride the shuttle over. You can pound the spacebar but it forces you to wait for the exact same amount of time as it takes to watch the cutscene.

That's good because it makes no sense. The story dialogue is there. If the player does nothing, the story will play. Spacebarring is the anomaly. It is offered for those who wish it, but it is not how the Flashpoint works by default. You are asking to change the status quo. You should take the responsibility to find a group that wishes to play that way.

The problem for you is that the majority of people spacebar because the majority of people have already seen this content a mass amount of times. So, it is you that needs to find like minded people, not me.

And players are also 100% entitled to use the spacebar key - using your logic, it's been put there to be used, so I suggest people USE it. I also suggest you take your own advice and ask if people mind watching, if not, deal with it. Neither of you is 'right', it's a group preference. If you can't play well with others, you're free to find another group.

Generally, I'll accept either choice.

This is spot on. Group majority is what counts. If 3 people want to skip then odd man is out. If 3 people want to watch then odd man is out. I would say if 2 people want to watch and 2 people want to skip then either break up or suck it up and watch.

There's clearly 2 very strongly opinionated groups for this topic.

There really just needs to be 2 separate GF queues with convos enabled and disabled.

Personally, I'm one of the ones that has done every flashpoint about 1000 times and has no need for social points. I wish they'd go away along with all the noobs that like to watch them.

If you hit it, or do not hit it, it hardly matters. Why? Because there's an automated delay already built into the game for the server to the client dealing with cutscenes. This delay can't be avoided, and takes almost as much time as playing the entire cutscene in some cases.

Some of us have tested this, for instance, on BT when you ride the shuttle over. You can pound the spacebar but it forces you to wait for the exact same amount of time as it takes to watch the cutscene.

This is not true at all. Barring server lag, the delay is about 1/20th as long as watching the entire convos in most cases.

Edited by ViciousFett

I don't have a problem with people who choose to watch the cutscenes, while I have seen them a lot, I don't pay for their account and refuse to tell them how to play.

Problem I have is when I created my first pub toon that I actually took through flashpoints, I had never done Taral 5 and Maelstorm. I was up front about this and when I chose to watch the cutscenes, I was kicked out of the group as it was 3 guildmates that were the group and myself. Again, I told them I had not seen the Taral 5 stuff and was going to watch it, no reply, kicked out of group and this was story mode.

If you were kicked out of a guild group then you have a ****** guild.

This may be true about the shuttle ride. This is not true of convos. Go storm through black talon by space barring and time it then watch every cut scene and time it. There will be a huge difference.

If you were kicked out of a guild group then you have a ****** guild.

It wasn't my guild, I was the extra. Now it did upset me because of the fact that I was kicked because I wanted to watch the cutscenes (asked why I was kicked), the big issue here is that while I am a pre launch player and pretty much said oh well and requeued, if I was a new player, this could be what drives me away from the game.

It wasn't my guild, I was the extra. Now it did upset me because of the fact that I was kicked because I wanted to watch the cutscenes (asked why I was kicked), the big issue here is that while I am a pre launch player and pretty much said oh well and requeued, if I was a new player, this could be what drives me away from the game.

I don't really get that kind of attitude. o.o For story modes FPs, I always ask if anyone hasn't been there before (because if they have I ask everyone to spacebar); for HMs, I'll only ask that for The False Emperor and Kaon Under Siege, two exemplary FPs with interesting stories.

Pretty much this.

Also, conversations are just pointless delays

He/she is probably the player you have to keep running back for because they have to attack EVERY mob. Though personally I let them die. Just like the GOGOGO marauder/sent tanks. I dont even try to pick up the mobs, and my healer wont heal them. We stand back until he is dead.