Gunnery Commando PvE Guide

jesseleeca

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the 2nd one in DF not DP.

Edit: In other news, we're now 5/5 HM DP and I'm rocking a brand new 78 mainhand :D.

Grats on the mainhand! I'm super jealous.

And my bad, you're right I did read DF instead of DP. Is why I like to use Fortress and Palace to avoid confusion.

On our Tyrans kill I was on my slinger, though I tried both DF and SS, which are somewhat comparable to Assault and Gunnery. Our next time in Palace I'll go gunnery and let you know how it works if you haven't done so already, but honestly that fight is way more about raid awareness than which spec you bring. I'm willing to bet both gunnery and assault are 100% viable on that fight.

Nice write-up. Wanted to mention something I found out during HM Brontes the other day. During the second phase with the lightning spheres. Gunnery spec'd commando's can CHEESE the sphere. We need to spec into DECOY. Its the talent that makes it so when you pop DIVERSION you absorb the next force/tech attack. Pop it just BEFORE you run into the sphere. If you activate diversion too early it will absorb the ticks that the sphere does instead of the explosion, and you will take a 40k+ hit instead of nothing.

<snip>

General rotation: (EN in beginning of fights)->FA->GR->DR->GR*2 (FA when CoF procs)->HiB...

<snip>

this is how far I got in your guide.

I looked for a glossary of acronyms, there doesn't seem to be one. as a n00b player, i don't know all the thousands of acronyms used, so a primer in a guide is very useful.

i can't comment to the rest of teh guide, as I haven't read it, because I don't know the acronyms, because you didn't include a glossary.

I looked for a glossary of acronyms, there doesn't seem to be one. as a n00b player, i don't know all the thousands of acronyms used, so a primer in a guide is very useful.

i can't comment to the rest of teh guide, as I haven't read it, because I don't know the acronyms, because you didn't include a glossary.

EN = Electronet

FA = Full Auto

GR = Grav Round

CoF = Curtain of Fire

HiB = High Impact Bolt

RP = Reserve Powercell

PG = Plasma Grenade

TO = Tech Override

Sorry about that. Adding it now.

@Arc: Thanks for the list. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We finally got a decent enough group and finished Brontes, got the pet :D.

I'll start adding stuff after I finish my hellish finals.

As a side note, I'm getting a new desktop, finally updating from a 3 and a half year old laptop. Getting more than 5 fps in a fight should help my DPS immensely :).

• 5 weeks later...

Did a bit of editing, will start finishing the guides to HM DP when I'm done with my 2 midterms and 2 essays next week.

We finally downed Hateful Entity (the secret boss in S&V) last night :D and got the best title ever: The Eternal Warrior. As usual the issue was too much DPS in the start which screws stuff up. I might add a guide to it later, however it will have to be a rough guide as you have to play Assault for it and I suck at that.

Fun side-note: While the Nightmare Pilgrim debuff you get after downing him says you take 200% damage sounds manageable it is not, since, contrary to what it says, it does not do just 200% extra damage, I died to a 400k AoE. ;)

Edited by jesseleeca

Okay, I'm new to the game, and there certainly is a lot to learn. That being said, I have a level 12 Commando, that I'd to be a DPS dealer, with a possible exploration of a healer mode. Most of what I've seen for leveling appears geared to a much higher level players.

I'm not a stranger to MMORPGs. I've played WoW, Rift, Might & Magic, Everquest, FF just to name a few. I know it takes time to figure out best ways to advance characters, and I've been fortunate in having friendly, kind advice from various sources.

I'm asking for basic guidance from my level 12 perspective, i.e. skill tree, target rotation, et.al. So if someone would be so kind to offer their expertise? Thanks for listening.

Okay, I'm new to the game, and there certainly is a lot to learn. That being said, I have a level 12 Commando, that I'd to be a DPS dealer, with a possible exploration of a healer mode. Most of what I've seen for leveling appears geared to a much higher level players.

I'm not a stranger to MMORPGs. I've played WoW, Rift, Might & Magic, Everquest, FF just to name a few. I know it takes time to figure out best ways to advance characters, and I've been fortunate in having friendly, kind advice from various sources.

I'm asking for basic guidance from my level 12 perspective, i.e. skill tree, target rotation, et.al. So if someone would be so kind to offer their expertise? Thanks for listening.

Well, at your level there's not a lot in the way of rotations. You have Charged Bolts and Full Auto, and not a whole lot else that's Commando-specific versus Trooper in general. That said, I'd start off by replacing Explosive Round with Charged Bolts as your basic filler attack when everything else is on cooldown; you're going to have to get used to using that, and it's less ammo-intensive than ER. That said, ER's knockdown will still come in handy on some normal mobs, so don't take it off your toolbar just yet. If you haven't noticed yet, Full Auto's stun will often (if you're quick) let you follow it up with a High Impact Bolt on the same mob if you hit it immediately at the end of the channel, and that's handy.

Personally I would recommend Gunnery. I love that tree. Even with that said, I would stay in Plasma Cell until you have Grav Round. Plasma Cell's dot is, aside from knockdowns and stuns, what lets you use High Impact Bolt; when you have Grav Round, though, you can use HIB on any target that you've hit with a GR.

As far as a leveling *build*, surprisingly the endgame Gunnery build doesn't skip many useful leveling talents. I'd go with that, getting Steadied Aim and Havoc Rounds first. Reducing the pushbacks on your casts is essential in a caster class.

Added small note to Tyrans fight. Summary: hold back DPS at the start of the fight since Gunnery's initial burst is substantial.

JimmyTheCannon has pretty much said everything you need to know. The only thing I can add, it's been forever since I levelled my commando, is that Mortar Volley is (slightly) OP when levelling, at least at low levels when a lot of the mobs get knocked down by it. Along the same line of reasoning, Plasma Grenade is also useful against groups since it can stun normal and weak mobs.

Feel free to ask if you run into other issues/need advice, I'll try to help however I can.