Don't buff commando healers

General_Aldo

They're hard to take down because you can put points into the skill tree to increase all healing you receive. This means that they can sit their and heal themselves under their bubble for 12 secs and be a meatshield.
Only under ideal conditions (shield + 30 charges + available ammo/heat + no or few stuns). We're harder to take down than the other two trees, but healer merc/mandos who claim to be able to solo multiple good mdps without assistance are talking through their hats or not mentioning other factors (gear disparity, opponents at low health and/or no cooldowns, teammates peeling & healing, etc). Current Ammo/heat limitations don't permit burst healing + meaningful dps against attackers in the fairly short TTK window, and the amount of cc a good assassin can lay on you means you'll probably be unable to heal or attack for a big part of your healthbar depletion. The worst is when you pop your shield & Supercharge Cells/Gas for some burst healing only to get stunned through much of the duration. And note that you're popping almost all your cooldowns to pull it off (because you'll want to stun them and knock back if those abilities are not already on cooldown, then if they break your stun you'll want to instant-cast your mez), so by the end of it you've played your keyboard like a piano, you're all out of cooldowns and ammo, and you're a sitting duck. So the whole song-&-dance buys you a bit of time but in the end you still need to be rescued. Edited by klham

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can agree on this. Commando needs to heal allies better, but not their self stronger. If commando is able to heal themselves stronger and more efficient now, good ones will be invincible. As of right now, I will only die when it's a 1v3 (The 3 MUST be above average players). When classes get nerfed and resolve gets addressed, I will only be more harder to kill. On my current server, I hardly see any commando/merc that actually knows how to heal. This only applies to the good players that understand the class completely.

I don't agree. I think the trade-off for being a perma-snared zero-escape sitting duck interuptable leap-able "non-turret turret" single-target healer should be that we shine in at least ONE area. Make us difficult and costly to take down. Or make us more slippery to corner. Getting focused already forces a single-target healer to make a choice to either kite & heal themselves or sacrifice themselves and keep their tank/dps up as long as possible. Lots of merc healers choose the latter because they know their survivability is zilch once the players they're healing go down.

I'm also very skeptical about claims that a lone heal-spec merc/mando routinely wins against multiple good & geared mdps. The burst from one pyro-Pwrtech alone is crazy, let alone two, nevermind the string of cc from any combination of Operatives, Assassins and Juggs. I just don't see how some merc/mandos can continue to claim that they regularly solo multiple skilled mdps in high-level PvP, simultaneously kiting, self-healing, and putting out meaningful damage all the while. Even setting aside incoming burst damage and cc, the burst-dmg rotation on a heal-spec (such as it is) is very resource-intensive. Something's gotta give. The math here just doesn't add up.

As of right now, I will only die when I'm focus fired.

FYP.

Play rated WZ much? If not, come back after you do and then tell me you hardly ever die.

focused fire is the exception in regular WZ and the rule in rateds. Picking target, separating him from the herd (e.g. his tank) and burning him down is rated WZ 101. Of course your own team tries to disrupt this. E.g. by friendly pulling the focus target back to the herd.

Just my opinion :

My main toon is a concealment operative, and I can assure that the hardest class to take down is commando healer. Good ones are not killable for me 1 vs 1. If they are buffed they will be very OP.

For one, the 1v1 durability of a healer is not a good way to judge their strengths. If anything, healers need to be hard to kill in a 1v1 just because they draw so much attention in WZs (especially Mercs with their green bullets and beams). If a single DPS could mow through them, imagine what 3 focused DPS would do.

Second, Merc healers are actually pretty easy to kill. The trick is knowing what to do when they pop Shield. If the Merc is low enough (30% HP or so), then you can use your CC and burst combo (for Scrappers, it is Kick, Sabotage Charge, Backblast). Of course, this involves a bit of foresight on your part to make sure that all these abilities are up at the same time. On the other hand, if the Merc is higher than that, just switch to a very energy neutral rotation and let him heal back up. There is no point in burning through resources on that Shield CD. Heck, you can even just leave and come back later when the ability is down. Knowing what to interrupt (and when) is also important.

As to the OP, Commands should probably get a buff to raw healing but maybe at the expense of some survivability. In the "team healer" department, you would almost always rather have an Op or even a Sorc. Commandos need to fill a unique healing niche to be useful, and I'm just not sure they are doing that now.

Edited by ktkenshinx

Look, I play a commando healer, and already 95% of the time out-perform any other healer in warzones. Giving commando healer a utility buff will only make us OP in warzones. Knowing how to correctly play a commando can go very far in PvP/PvE. In warzones, I will only die in a 1v3, which still takes a while and sometimes I can still survive it. Giving a buff in PvP will make good commando healers gods. I like people thinking we are a bad class to play, with in reality, we can do as much heals if played properly. I know the learning curve on commando healer is huge, and it takes extreme skill to play properly. If any buffs are going to be given to commandos, then give it to the dps. :rak_01:

Troll or never played competetive match ...

like some1 said show me 1400 hps pics in rated ...

Edited by mrekxxx

My experience playing a Commando healer vs playing other healers is that Commandos post-nerf just don't have the healing power to compensate for their lack of mobility/escape tools.

They were great stationary healers before. Now they're pretty much gimped Sages.

Edited by Helig

Look, I play a commando healer, and already 95% of the time out-perform any other healer in warzones. Giving commando healer a utility buff will only make us OP in warzones. Knowing how to correctly play a commando can go very far in PvP/PvE. In warzones, I will only die in a 1v3, which still takes a while and sometimes I can still survive it. Giving a buff in PvP will make good commando healers gods. I like people thinking we are a bad class to play, with in reality, we can do as much heals if played properly. I know the learning curve on commando healer is huge, and it takes extreme skill to play properly. If any buffs are going to be given to commandos, then give it to the dps. :rak_01:

FALSE. I play all 3 healer classes, and commando was my 1st healer. Regardless if you're top healer or not, its PUGS. Try that in rateds. There is a big difference. Commando simply does not have the action management to sustain long drawn out fights like the other 2 healer classes do. Which in the end gimps their healing potential. Yes commando has the best burst healing, and can be very hard to take down, especially with a guard. However its main problem is action management. You will run out of action in heavy fights much faster than the other two classes.

Queue your commando for rateds, see how you do. Better yet, if you're on Pot5, I'll join you. I want to see this "leet commando healing" 1st hand.

I can regularly hit 750k+ healing in most warzones on my Sage. Scoundrel is capable of that as well with little effort. And both can clear a million healing at times. The average on my commando healer is 450k'ish. With my personal best of 650k healing....and that was in a long drawn out Novare Coast.

Commando simply doesn't have the action management to hang with the other 2 healers.

commando cant do squat on any spec in RWZ. multiple skilled melee opponents = dead commando real quick

I wouldn't be able to comment on that. I stated I only play Reg Warzone, So I wouldn't know how they preform in ranked. I can't do rank, since my guild died. This is all off of reg pug warzones. I know this isn't much, but I can't see why with a coordinated team and a dedicated tank that commando healer can still be viable in rwz.

I wouldn't be able to comment on that. I stated I only play Reg Warzone, So I wouldn't know how they preform in ranked. I can't do rank, since my guild died. This is all off of reg pug warzones. I know this isn't much, but I can't see why with a coordinated team and a dedicated tank that commando healer can still be viable in rwz.

The point of bringing up RWZs is to direct attention to the fact that they are still severely gimped healers. They need a good chunk of attention, and it'd be really swell if they got it soon because mine is 41; I don't want to hit 50 and then sit there collecting dust. The only time a near-my-level scoundrel can't run circles - literally - around my healing is if they're, uh. Terrible, or the one being focused. You can't assume that all people who PVP are people who will let healers sit in the back and freecast and never throw an interrupt or CC at them.

The point of bringing up RWZs is to direct attention to the fact that they are still severely gimped healers. They need a good chunk of attention, and it'd be really swell if they got it soon because mine is 41; I don't want to hit 50 and then sit there collecting dust. The only time a near-my-level scoundrel can't run circles - literally - around my healing is if they're, uh. Terrible, or the one being focused. You can't assume that all people who PVP are people who will let healers sit in the back and freecast and never throw an interrupt or CC at them.

I agree. I think if the Commando/Mercenary healing class is going to be extremely dependent on casting abilities, then those casting abilities need to be faster and stronger (Compared to other healers) :rak_03:

commando cant do squat on any spec in RWZ. multiple skilled melee opponents = dead commando real quick

FALSE. I play all 3 healer classes, and commando was my 1st healer. Regardless if you're top healer or not, its PUGS. Try that in rateds. There is a big difference. Commando simply does not have the action management to sustain long drawn out fights like the other 2 healer classes do. Which in the end gimps their healing potential. Yes commando has the best burst healing, and can be very hard to take down, especially with a guard. However its main problem is action management. You will run out of action in heavy fights much faster than the other two classes.

well i cant a gree to this.

when i compare the outcome of a ranked match between two of the best teams of my server, one with a comando healer the other one with a scoundrel - both by far the best healer of their classes on my server i´am unable to see the disadvantages everyone claims the commando is haveing, as they result in a meager 2k hp difference while both healed over 1,3 milion hp...

http://s7.directupload.net/file/u/29426/d349gfp2_png.htm

from my perspective the reason why comando and scoundrel in ranked matches are extreamly close in their effectivity is quite simple - the main advantage the spammable instant heal when your target is below 30% of its HP is not as effective in ranked matches as in nonranked due to the fact that a char hovering around 30% of his hp is dead within a sec against a coordinated team with assist. while it is quite easy with hots and the instant to heal against a group where everybody is attacked by another enemy but that simply doesnt happen in ranked matches...

the survivability is comparable as well, if you are not supported by your team you can either stealth or pop your shield - if you cant you will be dead regardless if you are a comando or a scoundrel when facing an assisttrain.

to keep it short - the advantages and disadvantages are completly neglected by team play from your team aswell as the opposite team.

The Commando healer only died twice, which suggests he was either left alone to free-cast or he had good peelers looking after him (the Scoundrel died 5 times).Combat Medic/Bodyguard, like GunneryArsenal, does well under *ideal* conditions. But the healing tree is still no less a house of cards that collapses under focus.

The Commando healer only died twice, which suggests he was either left alone to free-cast or he had good peelers looking after him (the Scoundrel died 5 times).Combat Medic/Bodyguard, like GunneryArsenal, does well under *ideal* conditions. But the healing tree is still no less a house of cards that collapses under focus.

not saying mando's dont need love (cause Mine definitely could) But everyone collapses under focus fire.

Major Kilo Crackroxx

I'd be willing to validate your opininion if you could post a ss of doing 1400+ hps right now the other 2 classes can do 14-1500+ hps in a great game all be it where as the commando heals having an outstanding game is around 900-1100ish. Also as a commando healer if someone interrupts you your heat management really takes a big impact on that. That being said commando heals atm only need a slightish buff. If the new changes go forth for aoe heal sages the order of pvp healers will be: AoE Sage, Bubble Sage, Scoundrel Healer....whats the point of a commando healer again? In order to make them viable for pvp they need to give them a unique buff something that other healers can't do and the other team needs or helps the team. If they are designated support healer make it so their kolto missle can increase healing received by 5-10% or give a damage reduc buff as well as healing received. Something new...unfortunately BW most likely won't do this :(

1400+ heals? I do twice that as an arsenal spec merc.

well i cant a gree to this.

when i compare the outcome of a ranked match between two of the best teams of my server, one with a comando healer the other one with a scoundrel - both by far the best healer of their classes on my server i´am unable to see the disadvantages everyone claims the commando is haveing, as they result in a meager 2k hp difference while both healed over 1,3 milion hp...

http://s7.directupload.net/file/u/29426/d349gfp2_png.htm

1st off, that screenshot was taken from a Novare Coast it looks like, where game length can be increased due to not capping the nodes. Therefore there is extra time to rack up stats. 2ndly those 2 healers (likely the commando) had an amazing guard with over 600k guarding from just one guy on the team. And the commando had only 2 deaths.

I'm not saying anyone with a guard on them in an novare on a commando can put up those numbers, but it certainly helps. I wasn't in the warzone but I bet that scoundrel put up that 1.3mil healing with more deaths and no guard. Thats the difference between commando and other healers.

Also notice the sage healer on that team as well. Had 1.2mil healing. And I bet he was a bubble stun spec. Meaning if he was a true all healer tree vs the bubble-hybrid that 1.2mil prob would have looked more like 2.2mil with salvation. Regardless of how good that commando healer may have done or may be, commando healer is not on par with the other two healers.

And your comment about the scoundrel anti-dispatch ability heal isn't entirely accurate. That is a CLUTCH heal to use in rateds. Especially on the healer himself when guarded, making him nearly unkillable, even when focused.

I'm sorry, commando just isn't as good a healer as the other 2. And i feel its main problem is action management.

Edited by SOULCASTER

Lol Dude this is post is funny. I started as a pvp commando since the launch of the game. Yes it was possible to stand still as a commando with 5 people attacking you but those glory days are long over. They arent good for ranked as Scroundrels/ Sage's/ Operatives/ Sorcs. Those 2 are way better then Commando. Commando needs a major buff Imo. Like the other say Try doing ranked as Commando healer and compare to scroundrel/ Sage. Id like to hear you talking then

not saying mando's dont need love (cause Mine definitely could) But everyone collapses under focus fire.

Major Kilo Crackroxx

Not necessarily. The other healing classes have escapes that give them a chance. Corner an Op healer and he can pop his instant AoE mez and/or stealth, corner a Sorc healer and she can bubble & force speed away. A merc/mando can do nothing of the sort.

Edited by klham

Lol Dude this is post is funny. I started as a pvp commando since the launch of the game. Yes it was possible to stand still as a commando with 5 people attacking you but those glory days are long over. They arent good for ranked as Scroundrels/ Sage's/ Operatives/ Sorcs. Those 2 are way better then Commando. Commando needs a major buff Imo. Like the other say Try doing ranked as Commando healer and compare to scroundrel/ Sage. Id like to hear you talking then

No, a major buff will make the class OP (By a skilled player). This class needs a minor buff, that will help with surviving and not so dependent on cast times.

No, a major buff will make the class OP (By a skilled player). This class needs a minor buff, that will help with surviving and not so dependent on cast times.

Yeah, a major buff would be nice for a lot of lazy days but it's definitely not what the class *really* needs. I think most people just want to see a little bit of tweaking, not a lot, to try and put all healers on par. Or at least closer to 'on par' than where they currently stand.

I mean, it's already been said: commandos can keep up with ops/sorcs so long as the commando isn't under much pressure, is guarded, and is allowed to freecast most of the time. Which isn't what happens at all in RWZs, or in regular WZs with a handful of people who aren't braindead.

As funny as it is to tank 4-5 people because none of them use an interrupt, I know I can't assume that's going to be the norm for all WZs, that's silly.