NO Addons please. There is another solution!

I read a lot about people missing addons. "I need healbots, dpsmeters, threatmeter..." You can do just fine without these, it's just a different game, we just have to adapt. Healbot, for instance, turns a very interesting game into something pulled out of a 90's Nintendo!

As for the meters, I have a suggestion: an <End Flashpoint/Operation Report>, just like in the end of Warzones. Voilá, you can consult who's doing their jobs right. DPS, Healing, Protection, MVP vote also (why not?)... It's all there.

Please NO addons. Don't turn this very enjoyable game into a big load of numbers popping out of my screen...

P.S. I do admit that some customization options on UI are needed.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's more to addons than the various stupid pve metrics addons. I don't want to be unable to customize the ui to the extent I want to for the sake of avoiding the existence of a few pve addons that are probably harmless anyway.

And no, they can't just add more customization options to the ui instead. There's a million different ways to go about setting up your ui and they can't possibly build all of them into the game.

Edited by Zlodo

Why exactly do you not want addons available? If you don't like them, don't use them.

The problem with add-ons is that they change how the game evolves. I've played WoW, I didn't have a problem with add-ons at start. Hell, I even used them. But eventually, they became so widely used and made so many raid encounters easier, developers started to design encounters with the use of these add-ons in mind.

In reality, it became sort of obligatory to use add-ons if you wanted to compete in any way.

Add-ons give individual add-on developers the power to influence game evolution. I want that power to remain solely in Bioware's hands.

Not to mention the whole gearscore debacle/drama that wow has seen.

I personally hate those DPS/heal meter programs.

They ruined WoW for me. I played a ret pally from day one and I did pretty good except for solo, which was a PITA having no pulling ability.

But 5 mans, raids, did what I was supposed to do, what hybrids are meant to do. Fill in where ever there's a need. Very few wipes in any group I was in. I could be DPSing then stepping back and throwing some extra heals around, even off tanking when needed.

When ever some one had a look at the percentages I was in the middle for DPS, but same for heals. After BC it was "your a ret pally you should be putting out more DPS", etc. Playing became more of a formula with rotations, and burst damage, and less about paying attention and reacting as needed. H@ll a trained monkey could play a pally after awhile.

Those meters and PVP ruined playing a ret pally for me.

Isn't a game supposed to be about having fun? I've found most add-ons are for either the lazy (can't pay attention to who needs heals or buffs) or anal retentive (we all have to play this way) and they suck the fun out of playing a MMO.

I had a crap oad of addons on my wow char, none of them however were related to raiding.

3 different quickbar addons

unit frame addon

loot addon

bagspace addon

map addon

all that kind of stuff. it made the UI bearable and more to the point. didn't use the raid stuff thouh liked doing that without a warning popping up ever 2 sec. never swaw the point of healbot, just look at the raid and see who needs a heal/has a debuf and get rid of it.

nothing wrong with addons that change the layout of stuff, there is something wrong with addons telling you what to do though.

Not to forget that addons set the standard of the games future updates, which basically means that you in time are forced to use some of them for raiding, what ever you like it or not.

Just like people already specific look for tank/healer roles to do low level mission, which even are designed that to do as 2 players and companions with what ever class/spec.

Makes one sad with them WoW Pandas that are stuck to their old way of thinking game mechanics.

I would like 4 stacking bottom bars , but I rather want the option for GUI rearrangement as an integrated game option.

Edited by Mineria

DPS meters are needed to craft builds. This isn't a different game, it's a typical loot based themepark MMO and as such those who wish to optomize, need the information.

Just because previous games in the same genre have done it, isn't a reason to do it with this one.

Fine, you want to optimize with actual game data. I can understand that wish, Bioware can supply that data just as well as add-on developers. As stated in my previous post, I'd highly prefer if Bioware builds something to accomodate this if they judge the cause worthy rather then enabling add-ons.

Why exactly do you not want addons available? If you don't like them, don't use them.

The thing is, people with them will start insulting other players - did you never play wow?

I kinda like the idea of a summary at the end, but addons that make it possible to flame others - no, never - we dont need a second wow.

I mostly didn't mind addons in WoW until GearScore. That freakin' thing being mentioned for almost every PuG raid or whatnot, when anyone who can play knows gear doesn't automatically make you a better player. I saw people in amazing gear who could barely compete with people in blues, yet all anyone wanted was a GS of over <insert current patches average GS here>.

I never installed it, which meant I could only really raid with friends... Not actually a bad thing.

My point of view when it comes to add-ons.

Add-ons like Gear Score and DPS meters should never be allowed in the game..

First you need to be invited to a raid, and when add-ons like Gear Score exist it doesn’t matter if you know the tactics and if you would be an excellent member in the raid. High Gear Score becomes the only important component to gain a spot, I have seen in the other game one 4.5k GS out performe a 5.2k GS player.

Second, while in the raid, you need to keep the DPS at the very highest, above everyone else even. Otherwise, it will be allot of whining about that. So it becomes more important to make damage than move from the red/green stuff on the floor, and then the raid gets wiped due to that the tank and healer can't keep up with dps getting aggro or taking damage from the green **** they stand in.

It would be better to have some kind of statistics window which appears when the boss is down or when the raid has wiped. That statistics should also show how individuals has performed regarding standing in sh*t etc. not only how much DPS individuals has done.

For example, following statics could be good to have statisics on:

DPS done.

Healing recived. (Not over healing received)

Healing done.

Aggro time.

When it comes to add-ons that help with friend’s lists and UI re-customization etc. would be nice to have.

This. Why ruin other people's game play because of something you don't like. Until the day that a developer can make a UI that caters to the preferences of millions of different users, add-ons will have their place.

And if something like Healbot is really an issue, the developer can simply break the add-on through the API.

I mostly didn't mind addons in WoW until GearScore. That freakin' thing being mentioned for almost every PuG raid or whatnot, when anyone who can play knows gear doesn't automatically make you a better player. I saw people in amazing gear who could barely compete with people in blues, yet all anyone wanted was a GS of over <insert current patches average GS here>.

I never installed it, which meant I could only really raid with friends... Not actually a bad thing.

People have been inspecting people outside of instances or looking at their armory profile long before Gearscore.

Not to forget that addons set the standard of the games future updates, which basically means that you in time are forced to use some of them for raiding, what ever you like it or not.

Just like people already specific look for tank/healer roles to do low level mission, which even are designed that to do as 2 players and companions with what ever class/spec.

Makes one sad with them WoW Pandas that are stuck to their old way of thinking game mechanics.

I would like 4 stacking bottom bars , but I rather want the option for GUI rearrangement as an integrated game option.

This, Addons become required because their assistance to gameplay becomes the measure of which content is balanced. That's the problem.

people who post about healbot taking the skill out of the game really have no idea what addons like that actually do and are probably remembering it from vanilla wow.

raiding guilds want to be able to (as effectively as possible) analyze what is occurring in an encounter, if not a dps meter, access to the combat log and parsing should be available.

reorganizing and customizing the ui should also be possible. there should be a way to show only my debuffs on a target and on the operations frames it should be possible to not show things like class buffs. it makes it hard to see things like kolto probe and on an enemy when every debuff in the universe is on a target it is pretty difficult to track yours.

i'd be ok with very few addons allowed if the ui was actually arrangeable. it is not very efficient in its current form.

edit: tldr it's not the addons that are the problem, it's the attitude of some people that use them. (meter whores, etc.)

Edited by Ashorian

The problem with add-ons is that they change how the game evolves. I've played WoW, I didn't have a problem with add-ons at start. Hell, I even used them. But eventually, they became so widely used and made so many raid encounters easier, developers started to design encounters with the use of these add-ons in mind.

In reality, it became sort of obligatory to use add-ons if you wanted to compete in any way.

Add-ons give individual add-on developers the power to influence game evolution. I want that power to remain solely in Bioware's hands.

Not to mention the whole gearscore debacle/drama that wow has seen.

This. The same reason why many substances are forbidden in professional sports (even ones that are not illegal per se). As soon as enough contestants start using them, they would effectively become mandatory if they gave any competitive advantage.

Why do people want to blame addons, particularly gearscore and DPS meters, for people being jerks?

Those people, will be jerks without them. The difference is, without a DPS meter you won't be able to prove they're wrong.

DPS meters and UI customization need to happen. ASAP. Be it BioWare's design or addons, I don't care. I never used gearscore anyway. My "not optimal spec" and "low gear score" kept me in the top 3 DPS in everything I did in WoW.

Grow a thicker skin and learn to prove people wrong instead of trying to get useful tools avoided because you don't like the pressure. You don't want to focus on how to be the best you can? Spend your time crafting, not in operations.

This is a ridiculous argument. People who want to improve need tools like DPS meters and UI customization to do so. People who don't want them, spew BS about having fun and not being judged poorly. If you want to improve, you'll like the tools. If you don't, you don't really need to be in the situations where people find the tools useful, as they're specifically progression and improvement based - not story or social.

Edited by DarthGlitch

When add-ons can be used, don't use them. That's a pretty simple solution. Let those who prefer add-ons to use them.

I prefer them, not just for meters, but to customize my UI. I did it for WoW and I'd like to be able to it with SWTOR. Kgpanels ftw!