View Single Post

JediBoadicea
10.07.2019 , 11:08 PM | #15
It took me a while to get to this, but here we go.

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Do you understand how to access the Materials Inventory?
Yes. It took a little bit of poking to figure it out, but it wasn't terribly hard. If you want to eliminate any confusion, a single tutorial pop-up should cover it.

Do you understand how to put items in, and to withdraw them?
Yes. This also took a little bit of poking to figure out, but wasn't too hard.

Do you understand what can or cannot be placed into the Material Inventory?
This one is a little less clear, not helped by some buggy behavior. If putting a tag/tooltip on each item is too complicated (that does seem like a big task), I'd suggest adding a single line in a tutorial pop-up or in the interface itself that lists what qualifies as a crafting material. Basic mats seem obvious, but I can see people wondering: do white screw skill items count, does jawa scrap count, do conquest mats count?

But to be honest, if you've got limited time for tweaks, I wouldn't worry about this one, because worst case scenario a player just right clicks and goes, "Welp, guess that doesn't go in, okay." You've definitely got bigger fish to fry.

Is the way items are displayed in the Material Inventory clear?
Clear, but far from ideal. This is where the most refinement needs to happen.
  • All categories should default to collapsed whenever you open the inventory. Having to close categories or scroll through hundreds of mats to find the category you're looking for is tedious and unnecessary.
  • Sorting options are absolutely pivotal. Even if this was still broken down by category that would be all right. We need to be able to sort, ascending or descending, on the following parameters minimum:
    • Grade of the mats (1-11)
    • Name (which is the current default)
    • Amount of mats
  • The materials grade needs to be clearly noted to be seen at a glance in the list.
  • A color outline to indicate mat rarity needs to be visible in the base list.
  • The ability to easily move a full stack of items needs to be insured, in whatever form that takes after the dust has settled.

I agree with others that a grid would be preferable, because many of us really enjoy playing inventory Tetris. But I will take infinite storage over a grid if that's the trade off, so long as we have the ability to auto-sort upon the multiple parameters already mentioned.