Male Oricon Consular Voice

redsovereign

Ok

So... this is a new voice actor right because it sounds nothing alike the original one.

Actually I think the new one sounds much better because there is actually some emotion put into the voice work instead of the robot from vanilla SWTOR.

Or maybe it is the old one just that he delivers the lines differently and with a new tone in his voice?

I hope this voice actor is here to stay :)

I always think it's funny how much everyone seems to dog on the male consular's voice, when Nolan North does the voice for some really iconic video game characters. He is in pretty much everything. And yet the consular is considered by many to be the worst voice over in the game.

Just because someone is a good voice actor, doesn't mean he is great every time.

Just like a great actor is not great in every movie.

I always think it's funny how much everyone seems to dog on the male consular's voice, when Nolan North does the voice for some really iconic video game characters. He is in pretty much everything. And yet the consular is considered by many to be the worst voice over in the game.

I've really nothing big against the original by Nolan. The only problem I have with it is that because it lacks emotion (I do understand it's because you are in control of your emotions) it becomes dull to listen to and your character feels more like a robot then a personality.

Even Satele and have some different emotive states going on when you interact with her and for me it's much easier to feel attached to a character that can allow him/herself some emotive state because that is human for me.

I think Nolan does a great job with the dialogue for what it is but I don't necessary agree that being in control of your emotions = being a robot.

What always made me like Kenobi a lot from the Clone Wars series was that sometimes he could feel regret, passion, sorrow and sometimes he could be on a personal vendetta.

That's my only complaint with Nolan, his voice work leaves little to character development (it's a little better when you go gray and sometimes dark) and the new one is really great because there is some different tones and emotions going on when delivering the lines.

As a Consular since Day 1, I claim that Nolan's voiceover is pretty awesome. Yes, it is very emotion-free at times, but you can tell that there are emotions there.

As for Oricon, I did not notice any change in the voice, so it is either Nolan again, or some really good imitator...

Interesting. I've noticed some changes in the voices post Chapter 3. The inquisitor is definitely different, more gravelly, more drawn out. However, I don't think it is a different voice actor.

But honestly, a voice actor is simulating a voice as much as portraying a character. If they aren't getting good direction and a lot of time is elapsing between recordings there can be significant differences despite the talent remaining the same.

You guys do know that voice actors aren't like the crop we see in the latest pixar movie? You know, where Tom Hanks plays a character and uses that Tom Hanks voice? Those aren't voice actors,

is a voice actor.

- Arcada

I find it hilarious when people complain about a voice for a Jedi lacks emotion.... The first phrase in the Jedi code is.... There is no emotion, there is peace.... This is also why I never felt so put off by the more static parts of acting by Hayden in the prequels. Because they are trained to not show emotion, but when he does, he really does show emotion... They are like animals! and I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!!

But haters gonna hate....

I find it hilarious when people complain about a voice for a Jedi lacks emotion.... The first phrase in the Jedi code is.... There is no emotion, there is peace.... This is also why I never felt so put off by the more static parts of acting by Hayden in the prequels. Because they are trained to not show emotion, but when he does, he really does show emotion... They are like animals! and I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!!

I didn't hate ever, I don't understand where this idea is that I "hate" Nolan North's voice acting in Vanilla because that is very far from the truth.

I merely said that I preferred the new one and I've listened to it now through Oricon storyline, it's different in that it's a little more low key, there is a little of a "imperial" almost accent in the dialogue and it's a far less robotic.

If you listen to Kenobi's voice acting esp in The Clone Wars he does have a lot of emotion. The greatest example being his resentment towards Darth Maul and how he tries to remember his teachings to not let his anger with Maul become a personal vendetta.

The Jedi Code has never been about "don't have any emotions whatsoever" but rather about "being the master of your emotions" AKA being in full control never losing that control and act out in violence, anger, fear or selfishness.

A great Jedi Master can't always be on the correct path because as a human you will always have doubts but what a great Jedi Master can do however is that he/she can focus and not let their emotions control their choices instead of logic.

There's a name for ppl without emotions and it's called psychopaths.

Even great Jedi battles everyday with control when you no longer battle with control then you might just be individual that needs to be sent to a mental institute before you hurt someone

Star Wars is easier because there is always the right and the wrong path, unf reality is not as black and white and there is where the Jedi teachings flaws is

Edited by redsovereign

The Jedi Code has never been about "don't have any emotions whatsoever" but rather about "being the master of your emotions" AKA being in full control never losing that control and act out in violence, anger, fear or selfishness

Yea, pretty much this. I think too many people misinterpret the line "there is no emotion, there is peace" and think it means jedi are supposed to be emotionless robots. That's where all the justifications for the consular's "emotionless" voice acting comes from.

Yea, pretty much this. I think too many people misinterpret the line "there is no emotion, there is peace" and think it means jedi are supposed to be emotionless robots. That's where all the justifications for the consular's "emotionless" voice acting comes from.

Exactly, the code is an idea that followers of the Jedi strives for but that's all it is. Even in the Star Wars world everyone have human traits thus you can't be 100% on their chosen path because it's simply impossible unless you have a mental disorder which allows you to get obsessed by one topic.

You an further this by saying; are you left or right in politics? Even if you are voting for a specific politic party you won't agree 100% with their views because there is no organisation that is 100% like you individually.

The only ppl that do agree 100% with something are ppl with mental disorders ppl that chose to follow a church that kills its followers or the ppl who chose to follow Charles Manson and commit terrible crimes.

In real life we vote for the organisation or person that represent most of the ideas and dreams that we want to reach taht doesn't mean that we will agree on everything that person is speaking about unless it's a one question political party.

Even most light sided characters in the Star Wars world question their teachings or the Jedi code, the actions of their master because most of them are not blind followers (even though the Jedi technically are a religious cult).

And even so the masters doesn't always follow the code either, for example Mace Windu who instead of calling upon the Jedi Council chose to face Palpatine by himself and act out in violence. Master Yoda has also went against the code several times and so have Anakin , Qui-gon, Kyle Katarn and Ahsoka.

Edited by redsovereign

Even most light sided characters in the Star Wars world question their teachings or the Jedi code, the actions of their master because most of them are not blind followers (even though the Jedi technically are a religious cult).

Well, lets call a spade a spade: the Jedi Code is wrong. The Jedi are a religious cult that follow an impossible and backwards dogma.

The Sith Code is much more in keeping with human behaviour as it can be used to justify pretty much anything.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

Well, lets call a spade a spade: the Jedi Code is wrong. The Jedi are a religious cult that follow an impossible and backwards dogma.

The Sith Code is much more in keeping with human behaviour as it can be used to justify pretty much anything.

- Arcada

Well... The Sith code goes too far in the other direction. While it embraces emotion it also tells you to follow your and remove yourself from empathy and conscience.

You're angry at your best friend? Hit him in the face till he begs you to stop, then continue to hit him more instead of reason and compromise.

Your other friend doesn't want to go and see the new Arnold movie? Hit them until they gives in and goes to the movie with you.

The Sith code is about you and you only and your removal of empathy and compassion and thought for others feelings and you enforcing your ideas and goals with violence.

You are always the one in the right you deserve this power and those who do not agree will perish

Edited by redsovereign

The Jedi code was loosely based on Taoism, Buddhism and bushido code. Which of course there are some cross purpose ideals in each. While similar ideals, they don't always match up. Now, why is the voice acting the way it is? The director most likely asked them to be contemplative and introspective, as this is the class that is considered to be the archivist or historians of the Jedi order. They spend a great deal of time in meditation. Have you ever talked to someone who spends a lot of time meditating? Neither have I, I generally fall asleep a few minutes in. One of the few I did not fall asleep listening to was the Dalai Lama, he does indeed have a keen sense of humor, most meditationists however do not have the enlightened view he has.

The Jedi code was loosely based on Taoism, Buddhism and bushido code. Which of course there are some cross purpose ideals in each. While similar ideals, they don't always match up. Now, why is the voice acting the way it is? The director most likely asked them to be contemplative and introspective, as this is the class that is considered to be the archivist or historians of the Jedi order. They spend a great deal of time in meditation. Have you ever talked to someone who spends a lot of time meditating? Neither have I, I generally fall asleep a few minutes in. One of the few I did not fall asleep listening to was the Dalai Lama, he does indeed have a keen sense of humor, most meditationists however do not have the enlightened view he has.

Still the Jedi characters in movies, cartoons, tv series are much more fun to listen to to Nolan North. I have great respect for Nolan and as I said it's not that I really dislike it, but comparing it to the other voice actors in the game I rate it the lowest.

The new one I like really much :)

Still the Jedi characters in movies, cartoons, tv series are much more fun to listen to to Nolan North. I have great respect for Nolan and as I said it's not that I really dislike it, but comparing it to the other voice actors in the game I rate it the lowest.

The new one I like really much :)

It was the directors choice, the actor is just following orders :p

I find it hilarious when people complain about a voice for a Jedi lacks emotion.... The first phrase in the Jedi code is.... There is no emotion, there is peace....

That's fine if you play a 100% Light Side male Jedi Consular, but emotionless doesn't work when the player is playing him Dark Side.

And yet that's still how the lines are delivered.

This isn't a diss on Nolan North. If anything, I suspect it was the VA director asking him to do that with the idea that Jedi=Serene and having a tin ear on how it would come off for anything other than that one note.

(It's also not the only time I've heard that kind of thing. Mark Meer as BroShep in ME1 was similar, but he grew beyond the flat delivery in the sequels. The difference with the m!Consular in the content beyond the core game may be due to a similar change in direction.)

The problem is that when you look at all of the other Jedi they too show emotion in their voices. The idea of no emotion seems to be more you dont act on emotion. You inevitably still have them and accidentally display them pretty consistently. I understand your point, but I dont think any other Jedi actually do it like the Consular does. Hell, Yoda shows more emotion in his words and he is one of the greatest consular of all time.

Interesting. I've noticed some changes in the voices post Chapter 3. The inquisitor is definitely different, more gravelly, more drawn out. However, I don't think it is a different voice actor.

But honestly, a voice actor is simulating a voice as much as portraying a character. If they aren't getting good direction and a lot of time is elapsing between recordings there can be significant differences despite the talent remaining the same.

You guys do know that voice actors aren't like the crop we see in the latest pixar movie? You know, where Tom Hanks plays a character and uses that Tom Hanks voice? Those aren't voice actors,

is a voice actor.

- Arcada

Agree, a lot of getting good voiceovers comes from a good director/producer. You can't just throw the actor in the booth and tell them to start talking. It takes proper direction and support so they have a contextual idea of what the writers are going for. I noticed the female consular sounds a bit different in the newer stuff compared with chapter 1-3 even though it's the same actress. Could be a number of factors like microphone setup, having the flu that day, bad director, etc. I also noticed that the smuggler actress sounds a bit flat/depressed on Tatooine.

Edited by Projawa

Could be a number of factors like microphone setup, having the flu that day, bad director, etc. I also noticed that the smuggler actress sounds a bit flat/depressed on Tatooine.

I hope they are smart enough to have a decent setup (and the game does rake in millions a month so they have no excuse for low budget studios). Honestly, I think if you don't tell an actress or actor the context of what they are saying you can get some weird results. It isn't bad, but I almost imagine someone handing the talent a list of 50 lines to say and going (read them! we can only afford you for an hour!).

"We meet at last." -> So who am I talking to? Is this a friend? Or an enemy my character wants to kill? JUST SAY IT TICK TOCK TIME IS MONEY! ;)

"Which character am I again, I voice several." -> I DUNNO, THE WRITER IS GONE! HEY, STOP IT WITH THE BOTTLED WATER, YOU GET ONE ONLY ONE!

The inquisitor voice is quite well done, and an evolution of the voice isn't completely unreasonable. It might not be noticeable except for the fact that they use stock responses so often. I can sort of tell what has been recorded at release, and what has been recorded post release.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus