Consistently Dying

RubberKal

Hi,

Before I start I will concede that I am probably not very good at this game.

As such, and playing a Sith Juggernaught, mostly questing I die very frequently.

If I were designing a game, the questing component would be aimed at the lowest common denominator of player (like myself) who is likes questing, is not especially social, so I do not actually enjoy much of the Heroics (friends arent on often enought to partake regularly) and Flashpoints (take more time than I typically have to play and friends aren't on often enough and are not necesarily the appropriate level to participate).

As a result I am geared ok-ish, but not as well as someone who partakes in those activities on a regular basis.

So generally I find that there is a big difference between general mobs where I have no difficulty, I can take on 5 or 6 at a time, and prevail with very little damage to myself, although my companion with most often take a lot of damage or die (no matter which companion accompanies me).

For the finale of most quest lines be they character quests or otherwise, I typically die repeatedly before I prevail. At the same level I find I can take on 2 regualar mobs and 1 silver of the same level and survive victorious, most often only just.

I have found as the level increases, I am having more and more difficulty prevailing at all in the finale fights because my more useful damage abilities are locked when I take on the more difficult mobs (Pommel Strike most notably). Additionally my companions might as well not even bother as they die almost immediately in most boss fights.

Is this intentional? Am I supposed to be going backwards financially, paying higher and higher repair bills, unable to earn enough no matter what I try? Am I supposed to have to die several times before I win the fight? Is this an intentional part of the game to build character (no pun intended)?

As an example, even with 40+% damage mitigation, and with 3K hp remaining, an elite mob took me out in 3 hits before I had managed to touch half of his remaining 2K. My damage bill was almost 5K .. the worst has been 12K ...

Frustrated. I just cannnot seem to do enough damage.

RubberKal

I guess we need more info about your gear and build to be able to provide effective pointers for you. But generally:

Keep your companions geared. Visit the GT and buy stuff for the one you prefer to use. Is there any of the slots not in use? Buy gear. Choose commendations when offered as quest rewards and use them to buy stuff for your companion (or yourself).

Open your companions skillbar and select stuff you want it to use and deselect lesser abilities. Choose the appropriate stance.

Read the tooltips of your abilities. Pummel only works on immobilized mobs. Act accordingly. That means only use it after you have stunned the mob. Try to work out the most effective rotation and dont waste rage on abilities that are not "worth it"... Ravage seems to be one of them.

Im far from an expert though. You'll get better responses I guess.

Good luck!

I guess we need more info about your gear and build to be able to provide effective pointers for you. But generally:

Keep your companions geared. Visit the GT and buy stuff for the one you prefer to use. Is there any of the slots not in use? Buy gear. Choose commendations when offered as quest rewards and use them to buy stuff for your companion (or yourself).

Open your companions skillbar and select stuff you want it to use and deselect lesser abilities. Choose the appropriate stance.

Read the tooltips of your abilities. Pummel only works on immobilized mobs. Act accordingly. That means only use it after you have stunned the mob. Try to work out the most effective rotation and dont waste rage on abilities that are not "worth it"... Ravage seems to be one of them.

Im far from an expert though. You'll get better responses I guess.

Good luck!

hes a jugger, ravage is very worth it

Edited by WildAce

Jugger is one of the easiest classes for solo PVE, even easier than powertech. Most of the time you didn't need your healing companion, questing with DPS is much faster, I can't say what you doing wrong, maybe didn't use properly your interrupts and CD. Or maybe you agro to much mobs, be careful and al be fine. Try immortal spec, and never forget use guard on your companions, this helps a lot to keep them alive. Edited by Urukkhan

My jugg is 50 now, and I've had little problems leveling. Toughest time was at Taris, wrong build and wrong comp. But I've corrected those and the rest was a blast. Never used Ravage after 25-30 lvl btw, ^_^. Leveled as an Immortal. Wasn't doing flashpoints or heroics, just collected commendations on myself and geared comp with greens that fell out of mobs.

I don't agree that Jugger is easiest. While leveling I felt the lack of DPS, sometimes pretty hard. IMO Nobody beats BH and Sorc in solo easiness.

Edited by Ryzard

Thanks to all of you for your patient feedback and lack of flames that I expected :-P

I'm spec'd as Immortal, and my gear is almost all purple gear from GTN for around my level.

I think my comps prolly need gearing better so I will put a lot of effort into them for a start, and probably try to refine my rotation. Guard on comps - check - will do from now on. I note Broon does on me all the time (only juts got him as companion).

I tend to find with my current philosphy I just go with whatever I have that's ready to go and as such I run out of attacks with everything on cooldown. A pet hate carried over from WoW is that I hate watching cooldowns on everything .. imo it ruins the fun because you can't watch the action while you are watching your cooldowns. I guess I'll have to work on that attitude as well. I've never been a raider in which I would consider rotations and cooldowns imperative as you take it so seriously, but for me, questing is gaming for fun, so I tend not to enjoy watching cooldowns when I just want to relax and have some Star Wars fun.

Thanks again ppl - your good advice is appreciated :-)

RubberKal

Edited by RubberKal

the questing component would be aimed at the lowest common denominator of player

Just commenting, this can frustrate the not-lowest common denominator quite a lot. Ideally, there would be solo content for both :)

As others said, I'd really suggest Quinn for the easiest(but possibly slowest) time leveling.

Also, ravage is worth it for both marauders and juggs.

Edited by Sayc

if you want to start using the healer (quinn), it may not be something you want to do but on mine I hit PVP hard so I had enough Comms to get the higher cunning pvp set for him (at level 40 i believe it is the close quarters combat set, can't remember the other sets), if you get a decent run like I did it doesn't take very long to get enough parts to make a difference to quinns stats. Took less time for me than it would have to farm planet comms/credits to buy gear from venders/GTN.

again, pvp may not be your thing but that is what I did and it made the grind pretty easy when I needed to use Quinn for certain parts...

Food for thought and all that :D

Edited by Etagnirps

I use Jasae when dealing with mobs, and pop out Quinn when Elites are involved. My companions are in custom gear fully modded for their level (mainly for appearance, but saves me time from looking for gear for them). I use Retaliation a lot, since it is undefendable and ignores global cooldown. Which means Ravage is 3 full seconds without Retaliation, so I stopped using that ;-) And guarding your companion is the best advice of all :-)

I'm Immortal and I had a hard time with mobs on Nar Shadaa and Tatooine cause I had to stop channeling hatred after 1-2 packs (!), but I never had problems against single targets, even elites with 3 level higher than me (end of chapter 1, but I needed medpacks and all CDs to be available). Jaesa changed it all for the better, now I have to stop to recover after 5-6 packs. Backhand/Pummel Strike (and I think Sonic Barrier) help a lot.

Ah, I'm using dps gear. Don't know if using tanking stuff can make things easier/harder.

i was also strugling, but tried different things and this is what worked for me.

1. I actually took the Vengeance spec.

2. Jaesa as companion.

3. Have pots as backup if needed. (hardly ever used them)

4. GEAR YOUR COMPANION.

5. Be 1 - 2 lvls higher than the mobs you are facing.

Double dps teams (you and Jaesa) really cut through mobs like a hot knife through butter.

When facing elites, just pop your cd's, and it is easy mode.

next, with regards to gearing your companion. I cannot explain how much it helps. See you and your companion as one, so if you only gear one and gear your companion with greens, its like you are running around in half good gear, and half not. Go to the GT and buy your companion gear.

Your flight missions and the bonus missions really help to be the right level for each area you tackle. Everyday i log on, i first do my space missions, and the amount of xp you get is insance! just be sure to keep upgrading your ship. Also do the bonus missions. it helps with not only xp, but also with your cashflow.

Lastly, as double dps, you know that you are softer, but your dmg output is massive, so each and every pack you take on, see it as a dps race. Whipe them out as fast as possible. (It actually makes the leveling process more fun!)

Jugger is one of the easiest classes for solo PVE, even easier than powertech. Most of the time you didn't need your healing companion, questing with DPS is much faster, I can't say what you doing wrong, maybe didn't use properly your interrupts and CD. Or maybe you agro to much mobs, be careful and al be fine. Try immortal spec, and never forget use guard on your companions, this helps a lot to keep them alive.

I've played every class now to their 30s. Jugs / Guardian is not the easiest class for solo pve. I'm not saying that it's hard to play, but easiest classes would go to any healer. On my operative, or sorceror I can solo any 2+ heroic, as of around lvl 12 , and up, and leveling is a breeze. Especially once you get your cc abilities to help out with that heroic 2s should be a none issue. Champion mobs are no problem at all either. The same can not be done, with the Juggernaut / Guardian class for quite some time, since they don't get a healing companion till a bit later, and the healing companion isn't even all that great, so I'm not sure if the same can ever really be done too.

Warriors are very gear dependant. You need to overgear your content. That means equipping mostly blues for your level. Orange Gear is the easiest way to do this and you can pretty much stay on top of the mod changes with commendations and the galaxy trade network. Trust me, once you and your companion (also get orange gear for) are up to date you will blow through mobs and die less. You will still have to use all your characters abilities, but you will survive 98% of fights

Learn your abilities. Use your taunts to keep agro on you and not your companions. Learn how to mitigate damage when you need to toss up a saber ward or Invincible; don't just slap it on at the start of every fight. Use Backhand, Force Push, and Force Choke to break combat and allow you companion time to heal you. Endure Pain is a great emergency heal.

Develop a comfortable rotation on you abilities. You don't like to watch cooldowns fine...but then you need to develop a logical rotation that will bring them off timer in the most efficient manner. Just hitting any old attack that is off timer will waste rage and be very ineffective. Once you have a system, you won't have to watch.

Quinn, ftw. Others may DPS better but until you are comfortable have Quinn keep you upright.

Target selection... take down the easy one's first. It might take 30 seconds to drop the Elite and 10 to drop each of his buddies. Drop the buddies. You will take less damage if they are down when you focus on the Elite.

Discretion is the better part of valor. Some fights are unwinnable. Avoid them.

Stims are a nice boost. Use them accordingly.

Edited by Zarrot

If you are using Quinn, make sure to always double check that Med Watch is still on. I don't know the reason for it, but it turns itself off at times. That ability makes a huge difference in his healing. If I find I am dying during quests it usually means that Med Watch is off again.

Target selection... take down the easy one's first. It might take 30 seconds to drop the Elite and 10 to drop each of his buddies. Drop the buddies. You will take less damage if they are down when you focus on the Elite.

This is something that I recently learnt. You're absolutely right - always take out the easy ones first or their DPS will take me out before I finish the tougher mob. Very good advise. Thanks for sharing it in the hope it will help me :-)

RubberKal

As immortal you shouldn't have problems at all until Belsavis, on Belsavis is where it starts getting hard.

The most difficulty I've had as Immortal was on Hoth and straight after when u return to DK and Quesh.

I have now switched to Vengence to try it out, and am regearing all of my companions. I've never used Quinn as a companion, mostly used Vette early on then Jaesa, then Pierce and lately Broonmark who seems to be the toughest, although now Pierce is better geared.

Am focused now on gearing Quinn and Jaesa.

RubberKal

i was also strugling, but tried different things and this is what worked for me.

1. I actually took the Vengeance spec.

2. Jaesa as companion.

3. Have pots as backup if needed. (hardly ever used them)

4. GEAR YOUR COMPANION.

5. Be 1 - 2 lvls higher than the mobs you are facing.

Double dps teams (you and Jaesa) really cut through mobs like a hot knife through butter.

When facing elites, just pop your cd's, and it is easy mode.

next, with regards to gearing your companion. I cannot explain how much it helps. See you and your companion as one, so if you only gear one and gear your companion with greens, its like you are running around in half good gear, and half not. Go to the GT and buy your companion gear.

Your flight missions and the bonus missions really help to be the right level for each area you tackle. Everyday i log on, i first do my space missions, and the amount of xp you get is insance! just be sure to keep upgrading your ship. Also do the bonus missions. it helps with not only xp, but also with your cashflow.

Lastly, as double dps, you know that you are softer, but your dmg output is massive, so each and every pack you take on, see it as a dps race. Whipe them out as fast as possible. (It actually makes the leveling process more fun!)

I used to do the flight missions everyday but I've been pretty slack with that lately. I quite enjoy them, and my ship is reasonably well geared, so I'll get back into them - I didnt realise they had such a large effect re xp/credits. Thanks for the reminder :-)

Currently Jaesa is too Squishy but I'll fix that with better gear :-)

Q: Popping CDs? I guess you mean blowing cooldowns, but I dont know what that means. Would you mind explaining please ? Thanks in advance.

RubberKal

I play an immortal specced jug and I didn't really have any issues staying alive. I used quinn a LOT during areas where there were a lot of strongs, or when i had to go up against an elite during a class quest or bonus. With Quinn, i just didn't die, and was able to withstand a lot of punishment. With invincible, endure pain, and shield generator it was a great combination. Sure, i may not have the DPS a maurader has, but I still pretty much plowed through a lot of the content. In fact, I had several friends who were playing as a jug or maura ask me to come help them kill some elite for their class story which i was able to solo.

I was even able to do SOME 2 man heroics solo, i just had to be careful how i pulled. I could kill 2 elites but not 3.

Just use Quinn while questing, or respec more into the immortal tree, its the tanking tree and meant to keep you alive longer.

Cooldowns are you longer abilities.

What I typically do with an elite...

Force charge

Force Scream - gives shield

Sunder - lowers armor

Force Choke (cooldown) - disables them temporarily

Smash - reduction to hit chance

Retaliation

Backhand (cooldown) - Disables them temporarily

Sunder

Force push (cooldown) - shoves them back, disables temp.

Force charge

Force Scream

by this time they are usually half dead. I;ve not used defensive cool downs so I still have the option to and just take them down. I use Vette as companion.

As immortal spec, you don't really need a healer companion. The only time I really bring out Quinn is when I solo the heroic 2+ missions. Just use your stuns and interrupts when the mobs are in the middle of casting, and use your damage reducers. Also, have your companion in the right stance for what you need; as in ae dps for groups and single dps for strong/elites.

For vengeance, I was still able to solo elites by sending my companion in to start to soak up some initial damage, but having a healer for them made it easy. I never needed a healer for regulars. I also used a ton of medpacks.