Merc is TERRIBLE

Shredit

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If left alone they do amazing damage. Trouble is, everyone knows their garbage in PvP and attacks you. If only we as a PvP community could agree to just collectively leave mercs alone, as an act of mercy and respect for their suffering.

That's what made me cry... We're in terrible condition indeed. Please don't attack us, we're dying even when you look at us, dear marauders.

I play a Merc... have it spec to arsenal... I do just fine in a 1v1 fight. I'd say I win eight out of ten matches of a 1v1. Its all in how you play it. I think the one thing that got nerfed that pissed me off was the rockepunch knockback. losing that really ticked me off.

I play a Merc... have it spec to arsenal... I do just fine in a 1v1 fight. I'd say I win eight out of ten matches of a 1v1. Its all in how you play it. I think the one thing that got nerfed that pissed me off was the rockepunch knockback. losing that really ticked me off.
Commando / Merc is a clunky and deficient AC no matter what the spec. Even Assault / Pyro (the "kiting" spec) is unimpressive relative to its Vanguard counterpart. Combat Medics are sitting ducks and Gunnery gets completely shut down by any good melee dps player. I win lots of 1v1 fights too, but I know that's because I got the jump on them by a sufficient margin, they're under geared, or they are inexperienced players. All things being equal, a *good* mdps will always win vs even a good commando / merc. The AC simply doesn't have a full tool kit.

When I play as my Merc dps, I am top damage dealer 90% of the time. But that is because the current game is filled with bads. When I am on my non-Merc dps classes and I fight a Merc, I lose to them in a 1v1.....NEVER. Merc dps is the worst subclass in the game. There's a reason why no ranked team will take them.

I think every commando/merc is wondering that. I imagine it would take a lot of work to overhaul the AC, but other more incremental improvements (like moving CM's talented no-interrupt on Reactive Shield lower in the tree, or including a movement buff with it) would probably be relatively easy (no new animations required, etc.) since these are abilities that already exist in the game. But what do I know.

I think every commando/merc is wondering that. I imagine it would take a lot of work to overhaul the AC, but other more incremental improvements (like moving CM's talented no-interrupt on Reactive Shield lower in the tree, or including a movement buff with it) would probably be relatively easy (no new animations required, etc.) since these are abilities that already exist in the game. But what do I know.

it actually wouldnt take that much work: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=562010

I love Merc. I hope there are little to no changes with the class overall in the next update.

Are you a hardcore masochist? Or do you just not PvP? Perhaps sarcasm?Has to be one. I sincerely hope there are an abundance of changes and perhaps even a complete overhaul of the terribly dysfunctional and frustrating class. Yes I like the play style and flavor of the class but the moment you step into any kind of competitive PvP, it all falls apart and you realize the class is absolute trash.

Edited by LeonHawkeye

My L18 Gunslinger has:

- 30m AoE stun

- 30m root

- 4m stun

- 4m AoE KB+root

Furthermore, Cover:

- Makes me immune to interrupts

- Melee can't leap or pull

- Increased ranged defense

- With talents, 30% more defense

My L50 Commando has:

- A big gun

Do the math.

Edited by TheronFett

Well, not going to lie, play commando in pvp is a challenge. However, its my favorite class to pvp with. In full adjusted WH gear for max power, i run between 350k-550k depending on the other side makeup. Thats not super dps compared to some other classes, but look at it this way. The nerf bat will not be coming after your 8k smashes and dispatches. Eventually, we will get some love ). You will be a better player for it.

The secret to playing this class is LoS, LoS, LoS !!!! If you stand in the open, you deserve to get owned. Cut corners, use wierd angles, jump and shoot over walls, est. Run assult spec, dot everything and their brother, tab target for squishies, then throw the sink at them...Then, move your *** private !!! Out of sight, out of mind...Hammer shots until you fingers bleed, the stronger crits with your dots running on a target add up. If your running and not hitting hammershots, rage quit and roll and new toon...Watch for you target to cure themselves...If they do, redot...If they are good at curses, find a new target and dont waste your time.

I am sure all this has already been said, im just too lazy to read it !!

From a gunnery standpoint

IMO all we need is Cryo back to 30m not this pissy little 10 m and a damage buff.

Yes we will get facerolled off good players in good specs but it's not quite as bad as some make out I've managed to beat every class 1v1 over the last few days it's all about using the tools at our disposal correctly, stun at range with concus they WILL break it such is how bad players use stun break they will then close so get your gravs off then cryo, KB unleash hell and LOS when you can.

Not saying we are perfect far from it but we aren't as bad as some make out although we will never get to ranked level as we simply do not offer enough damage so even with a viable escape we still won't be wanted. The bigger issue for me is our damage we took an almighty nerf way back at launch when we were FOTM that was far and above what was needed in fact people just needed to L2FP and shut us down as they now do.

If we had the damage we had back then we could still be shut down but we would at least be wanted in warzones not seen as the bastard cousin that you let play games with you just so he doesn't cry to you mam.

Personally i'd rather see a buff to our damage than our mobility or some talent that stops grav being interrupted and locked down akin to hunker down for sniper/gunslinger. That's how I see a commando not some ***** that runs from the fight but someone who marches into it laying himself on the line and getting off as much carnage as possible before going down akin to the cinematics.

We actually had this in Voidstar yesterday with a 4:16 remaining run where myself and another commando held each choke point through LOS, stuns and KB allowing for non attacked plants on nearly every occasion and it was the 1st time I've felt like a commando in ages.

From a assault standpoint

make a skill high in the tier that makes charged bolts or such like instant so assault has a mobile valid railshot reset like VG does.

Edited by thamightyboro

• 3 months later...

My Merc got kicked from a flash point after the tank died and I was back pedaling from the boss. I was called a coward - end of game - go now. All I could do was stand there with rapid fire and die more quickly with everyone else or buy some time wait out the cool down and have less of chance of being interupted and try to pull a rabbit out of my armor.

Not everyone is the star. the merc if used in a team setting is a group multiplier. In soccer we see the Forwards and Goalies, but the halfbacks are in the middle and can tend to cover more ground. They aid both offense and defense, but get a lot less credit for scores or saves. They make both offense and defense work better. This type of organization will not happen in PUG WZ for the most part but a good repeat group should be able to use the mercs skills to the teams advantage.

As for the Merc itself,

Stay out of direct combat, but know it will come your way. If you know the end is coming go to the center of as many players as possible and create that beautifull fireworks show . Then spam BioWare about not having in game mandalorian death threats. It draws attention your way and sets the other players up.

Tthink about it as a performance ability for mvp votes. Cause that is probably the only way you can try to get an numbers edge over other specs.

BH's do have higher look cool abilities and looks do count

Its a game have fun and literally die trying.

Mando'ay

My Merc got kicked from a flash point after the tank died and I was back pedaling from the boss. I was called a coward - end of game - go now. All I could do was stand there with rapid fire and die more quickly with everyone else or buy some time wait out the cool down and have less of chance of being interupted and try to pull a rabbit out of my armor.

Cool down of what ability? I really can't think of any that would honestly change the outcome of a wipe other than a battle rez.

Not everyone is the star. the merc if used in a team setting is a group multiplier. In soccer we see the Forwards and Goalies, but the halfbacks are in the middle and can tend to cover more ground. They aid both offense and defense, but get a lot less credit for scores or saves. They make both offense and defense work better. This type of organization will not happen in PUG WZ for the most part but a good repeat group should be able to use the mercs skills to the teams advantage.

The question is, why bring a merc to do that when there are a number of other classes that can do it better and without the babysitting?

As for the Merc itself,

Stay out of direct combat, but know it will come your way. If you know the end is coming go to the center of as many players as possible and create that beautifull fireworks show . Then spam BioWare about not having in game mandalorian death threats. It draws attention your way and sets the other players up.

Tthink about it as a performance ability for mvp votes. Cause that is probably the only way you can try to get an numbers edge over other specs.

BH's do have higher look cool abilities and looks do count

Its a game have fun and literally die trying.

Mando'ay

As for the rest of this.....what?

Edited by DariusCalera

I play a commando as do alot of other 50s on my server. We are some of the most wanted players. 1v1 I can almost kill anything that has the same or slightly better gear then me. You just need to learn how to play your class.

Or your server is full of scrub players.

really? yes I admit that the class is in need of some help after playing it in PvP more but only if you do not have smart players on your team. Also the changes that are being implemented in 2.0 will give us the defenses we need.

really? yes I admit that the class is in need of some help after playing it in PvP more but only if you do not have smart players on your team. Also the changes that are being implemented in 2.0 will give us the defenses we need.

It was never defenses that we really needed. While nice, we could have all the defenses in the world but if we can not get our damage out then we are useless.

I would give all of those defensive changes for an uninterruptable Grav Round.