Adaptable weapons

Xienive

Although I have never been dying for this to happen, many people playing would like the ability to choose their weapon type and class for more personal customization. In the Star Wars universe, the weapon has always been a key point of character fighting and personality.

The problem with this is how stats work. Obviously it would be inferior to use one lightsaber over two or a double bladed. However what if there were adaptable weapons like there is armor? For instance, a Jedi Sentinel's damage output would be the same as him using two sabers but the vanity would be a double bladed lightsaber. Of course the only restriction to this would still be that melee classes must use melee adaptable weapons and vice versa for ranged. (I know how many of you BH's want a carbine/rifle)

Thoughts? Anything to add to the idea? Just kind of passed by as a thought from seeing so many threads over time on this topic.

/signed

Though, I think there may be animation conflicts unless they take specific steps to address this (I can think of a few with assassins wielding single sabers). That said, while I like my polesaber, it would be nice to have at least had the option to take a single saber (or even dual wield provided the overall dps remains the same).

I am really confused right now do you mean to make it so that jedi knights can use double bladed swords and bounty hunters to use rifles if so I agree :D

And if you do not mean this sorry for posting wrong =)

If I understand the suggestion correctly, he's saying you have an item. The item has the appearance of a blaster rifle, for example, but has the "Adaptive" property. Meaning any character can equip and use it regardless of weapon proficiencies, similar to how adaptive armor scales based on the character wearing it.

I really like the idea, but coding it might be a nightmare.

If I understand the suggestion correctly, he's saying you have an item. The item has the appearance of a blaster rifle, for example, but has the "Adaptive" property. Meaning any character can equip and use it regardless of weapon proficiencies, similar to how adaptive armor scales based on the character wearing it.

Another problem with it is that certain Abilities require certain/specific Weapon(s) to be equipped in order to use.

They would likely need to code it by advanced class. If a Shadow equips an adaptive melee weapon, then that weapon gains the base damage of an equivalent level double-bladed lightsaber. If a Sentinel were to equip that same adaptive weapon, it would gain the base damage of an equivalent level single bladed lightsaber.

The nightmare would come with coding in new attack animations. If a Bounty Hunter were to equip a rifle, there would need to be new attack animations for every pistol attack of the BH. Likewise with every other class.

This makes coding adaptive weapons a more arduous task than coding adaptive armor. That said, I think it's a great idea. It's something the players have been after for a very long time.

-Macheath.

Glad some of you like the idea. I realize that doing something like this would be challenging and time consuming, especially with new animations for classes. However I think if something like this or similar were implemented, it would make a lot of players very happy to be able to customize their characters more. Especailly in a game as focused around story and character personality as this one.

There are actually very few animation issues relating to the concept of adaptive weapons if, and only if, they are grouped into range and melee specific classifications as a previous poster mentioned. At that point, they would simply need to code for abilities to use an alternate animation for the weapon equipped with relation to the power used. That could be as simple as an "if-then" statement in the code for a power or it could be as arduous as reanimation of entire character models (tho unlikely).

To take the example of the bounty hunter using a rifle, the rapid fire animation could simply be replaced with the one used by the trooper. We know there is a missile spread ability used by certain elite and strong enemies, then could attach that as an animation while using a rifle instead if using the jet pack during death from above.

Again, not being a programmer (but having taken some basic programming classes in college), I can't say for certain how complicated it would be, but it seems to me they already have the tools available. It's simply a matter of time, resources and priority.

There are actually very few animation issues relating to the concept of adaptive weapons if, and only if, they are grouped into range and melee specific classifications as a previous poster mentioned. At that point, they would simply need to code for abilities to use an alternate animation for the weapon equipped with relation to the power used. That could be as simple as an "if-then" statement in the code for a power or it could be as arduous as reanimation of entire character models (tho unlikely).

To take the example of the bounty hunter using a rifle, the rapid fire animation could simply be replaced with the one used by the trooper. We know there is a missile spread ability used by certain elite and strong enemies, then could attach that as an animation while using a rifle instead if using the jet pack during death from above.

Again, not being a programmer (but having taken some basic programming classes in college), I can't say for certain how complicated it would be, but it seems to me they already have the tools available. It's simply a matter of time, resources and priority.

This is kind of what I was thinking. Most things like blaster shots and saber swings are pretty generic, and npc's even use some animations that we as players don't have.

I don't see why if say a Shadow used a single bladed lightsaber, why they couldn't just attach some Guardian animations to it.