Tank powertech

Tank powertech

Heal Operative

Heal Sorc

DPS Mara

DPS Mara

DPS Sniper

DPS Merc

What would happen if we replaced our sniper toon with the same guy on an equally geared merc?

Obviously emergency healing would go up (like calpyhus 3rd phase) but simplification on DP would be trickier. It will also be harder to kite calpyhus in Council.

Maras are very tough dps so that has a real appeal to me. Not to mention that they will be top dps in 2.5

Are the problems not worth the benefits?

As long as there is a good player behind the screen, swapping from a Sniper to a Merc would only result in a very slight DPS loss, sure you lose some utility with the shield and selfcleans and some mobility with roll, but at the same time as you say, you gain a possible offhealer if ***** hits the fan.

Our current dps composition is:

Mara

Merc

Merc

Sniper

We use a pyro merc to kite raptus during the council fight, so if either of your mercs can play pyro fairly well it should not be a problem in HM. Cannot say for NiM for obvious reasons, but spec mastery requirement will probably be higher due to an enrage timer.

As for 2.5, still think snipers/slingers will be top dps. The ballistic shield is also very, very handy as a defensive cooldown.

Edited by Xenphon

Our DPS composition is:

Sentinel (focus)

Gunslinger (hybrid)

Gunslinger (hybrid)

Commando (assault)

Specs vary by fight, but that's what they all run on the dread masters. The commando kites Raptus, but he doesn't kite as aggressively as most groups seem to, so he is actually able to sustain most of his DPS during the first and third phases.

Incidentally, one of our slingers is the second highest on the world leaderboard, but the commando still out parses him on bosses. I don't think mercs are any less viable DPS than snipers, they just have to be played well. Mercs have to deal with some things that snipers don't, most notably pushback, but they gain heavy armor, better CDs and off heals/rez. If your candidate merc is a better player, then I say you should go for the swap.