Pets in raids taking heals?

So when I first heard about the Taunlet you must catch I busted my butt for a month to get it and I've had it out ever since. Lately my guildies have been on me to dismiss it in raids because it "eats heals". Can someone confirm this or do they just feel like breaking my balls?

I can confirm that pets do *not* "eat heals". Additionally, they no longer cause server lag, which was a big problem following 1.4. (and 1.3…oh, and 1.2!) They can cause client-side graphical lag on lower-end machines though, or in fights with a lot of particle effects (e.g. nightmare pilgrim). For fights where they have a noticeable effect, we ask everyone to put them away. On other fights, we just don't care (our NiM Kephess kill shot had at least one pet out, possibly two).

As for click healers… They need to learn to heal by more effective mechanisms. I'd probably pull a pet out pro-actively to train them out of their bad habit. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
As for click healers… They need to learn to heal by more effective mechanisms.

explain what you mean by As for click healers ?>>>> I know a few click healers as they are Called who heal NIM EC including me Just fine as click healers ...:)

explain what you mean by As for click healers ?>>>> I know a few click healers as they are Called who heal NIM EC including me Just fine as click healers ...:)

What a person is capable of and what is optimal are two different things.

Sure, people CAN click, but it is very impractical and if the person learned how to use key-bindings they'd probably do even better.

What a person is capable of and what is optimal are two different things.

Sure, people CAN click, but it is very impractical and if the person learned how to use key-bindings they'd probably do even better.

Can't expect everyone to own a Razer Naga or use lots of their keyboard keys, the people who are able to do that are a very small minority in this game. Most players I consider good would resort to a combination of both, using about 10 keyboard keys in conjunction with clicky activating their situational abilities (like Heroic Moment, or defensive cd)

Edited by Ephesia

Can't expect everyone to own a Razer Naga or use lots of their keyboard keys, the people who are able to do that are a very small minority in this game. Most players I consider good would resort to a combination of both, using about 10 keyboard keys in conjunction with clicky activating their situational abilities (like Heroic Moment, or defensive cd)

Yeah but clicking their situational abilities and keybinding the rest isn't considered clicking. Clicking is less efficient than keybinding and is bad. Clicking main abilities should never happen.

Yeah I am a hybrid clicky healer. Maybe it is the hybrid part, but I have no clue how people could target pets being a clicky healer unless they are manually targeting raid member for heals. If doing that, targeting outside of ops frames…then I am truly impressed. Only time I manually heal target anything is other peoples companions, because I don’t have them set in UI because it is set for actual raids and not heroics or HMFP were someone quit. Even then I think I can tell the difference between a pet and a companion.

The reason healers use to ask people to put up pets is because they would take AOE heals. On a sawbones where it only hits four at a time that was a fairly big deal, but that has been patched.

Although I still think pets are stupid it raids, but to each his own.

i will add in our group there is a rule Party Jawa out means you do not want heals from me. Has nothing to do with clicky healers or pets taking heals...I just hate the party jawa.

Edited by mikebevo

clicking raid frames and abilities is what most consider a normal clicker... by reading this it sounds as if his healer is trying to physically click on toons to heal them...thatttt is not going to work well.. i mean think about how much a pain in the *** the orb in TFB HM can be to click

clicking raid frames and abilities is what most consider a normal clicker... by reading this it sounds as if his healer is trying to physically click on toons to heal them...thatttt is not going to work well.. i mean think about how much a pain in the *** the orb in TFB HM can be to click

Yeah, it will not work....so if people can do it, then they are really good clickers.

However, someone guessed it was clickers hitting pets with heals, but I really it is just being carried over since before the patch when pets could suck up heals from AOE heals. I still believe pets have no business in ops, just something else to get in the way and distract people from the real objective. Not a big deal, but there is no reason to have them out either. Yes, you have a pet...I am so impressed and jealous I don't have it...Happy? Now put it away and lets kill something.

Edited by mikebevo

As a clicky healer myself who's healed through all HM's and Nim (other than NiM EC), what type of keybindings are useful for a Sage helaer?

It is all going to depend on you. I tried the entire key binding thing, bought the fancy mouse, but I am happy with how I do it now which is a hybrid of clicking and key-binding. DPS I pretty much have everything bound to key, but I am faster and more proficient at healing using the mouse and keys.

Don't know enough about sage healing, but any sawbones I would recommend Diagnostic scan being on a key...even pure clicker would be smart to put that one on there.

Yeah but clicking their situational abilities and keybinding the rest isn't considered clicking. Clicking is less efficient than keybinding and is bad. Clicking main abilities should never happen.

How about using ops frame with heals bound to a razer naga? Is that impractical as well?

I've never heard of pets sucking up AoE heals, but I'm glad they patched it, cause that is just.. blah.

that said, I'm genuinely tired about this belief, that keybinding will always be better then clicking.

NO.

it depends on an individual.

if said person cannot type blind (aka without looking at a keyboard) keybinding for them will actually be less efficient, as they would have to glance down every single time they have to hit an abilities and deal with messups when hitting a wrong button. clicking keeps their eyes on the screen 100% of the time, allowing them to react faster among other things.

clicking keeps their eyes on the screen 100% of the time, allowing them to react faster among other things.

I don't want to argue the issue, but I have to respond to this. They have their eyes on their hotbars, not on the action. I'm sure there are many fine click healers, but there's no way they can react faster.

I don't want to argue the issue, but I have to respond to this. They have their eyes on their hotbars, not on the action. I'm sure there are many fine click healers, but there's no way they can react faster.

as a click healer who cannot type without looking at a keyboard (and beleive me I've been trying to learn for decades for reasons other then gaming) I can tell you right now that the difference between switching your attention between raid frames, hot bars and the rest of the screen versus having to look down to press a key, look up to target, look down again ad nauseum - is huge. because when my eyes are already on a screen? seeing things happening with a peripheral vision is not that difficult.

and the difference between good click healer and good keybinder, considering global cooldown? is negligible.

I'm not saying that clicking is better then binding, 100% all the time. YOU are saying that binding is ALWAYS better then clicking, for EVERYONE. and I'm telling you - not always, not for everyone. on case to case basis, some people as individuals are more effective as clickers, and others are more effective as binders. someone who cannot type without looking at a keyboard is not going to get more effective if they try to keyboard bind. on the contrary.

How about using ops frame with heals bound to a razer naga? Is that impractical as well?

I'm sure your trolling, but i believe that'd be the optimal way. I started this game as a clicker, i was ok avg at best. I've since invested in the Swtor Razor mouse, best investment i've ever made hands down. Having 12 buttons at my thumb is wonderful. All my abilities are bound to 1-12 and shift+1-12 some times depending on the toon ctrl+1-12 as well. It took me about a week to get used to it(a phone call from my brother while tanking Zorn and Toth HM months ago) was really all it took to learn quick. If im hitting dc's and such that are off of GCD i can hit them all before the next GCD is finished. After a few weeks it becomes second nature. I've become 5-10 times better at the game because of this.

I understand not everyone can afford one, also i'm sure there are cheaper ones out there that do the same($140 bucks i wanted to kick myself in the nuts) I encourage everyone to invest in something along the lines of a gaming mouse. Even if its only got 5-6 buttons(how many classes really have any sort of rotation more than 4-6 abilities) it will make life much easier and i'm sure you'll see an improvement in your gaming abilities.

Edited by wetslampigduex

I could be mistaken as I haven't tried recently, but I know when I tested it before it ate up AoE heals. Normal heals aren't a problem, the problem is the AoE heals.

Again, not tested it for months, but I know it used to be like that.

Was that way, has since been fixed.

A long time ago I would always tell my guild to dismiss pets. The reason was as a healer I click the raid frames to heal but also use tab targeting. The way it use to work (but has since been fixed) if you tab target, the mini-pets that were out would end up being cycled threw. This was the reason we dismissed pets and I only bring it up because a guildie recently told everyone to dismiss pets forgetting it had been fixed. This might be people thinking it's still a problem...