Why a 1.0 Player is Finally Leaving.

Kai-Del_Serromis

When cancelling my subscription a moment ago, I decided to put more than a simple, one word answer into the full description portion of my reasons. This post isn't meant to be whiny, nor is it meant to be a "Doomsday for SWTOR" message; I suppose this is just a roundabout way of saying I to SWTOR, "I love you, and I want to love you more, but you're making it too hard". And no, none of you can have my stuff; I already gave it all away. :rak_03:

I know this cancel subscription message is going to get lost in the masses, but I am going to put down my full reason in here just in case someone with some sort of influence actually sees this.

The reason I am leaving for FFXIV is certainly because all of my friends have moved to it, but it's also for a much larger reason. Put simply: This game is so far behind in content creation compared to other games. When MMOs like ESO and FFXIV release expansions like Elsweyr and Shadowbringers, respectively, how am I to stick with swtor when all it has released in the past year of any substance are two planets that are as small, if not smaller, than CZ?

I love swtor, I will ALWAYS love swtor; but it is now too far behind the content curve compared to other games. I desperately want to see this game's studio given the resources and manpower it needs to make this game great again, but I can't wait around bored out of my mind until that happens.

So do you want to know what the game needs more of? Crafting, Flashpoints, Live Events, Open World PVP Areas, Operations, Story Quests, and Warzones. It needs more of everything if it is to survive against game studios like Zenimax and Square who learn from their own mistakes. Farewell, and may the Force be with you.

In other words another whiny complaint. If you want to leave you can, nothing stopping you. You have no obligation to make an "i quit thread" about it. But on the same token you can return whenever you feel like. Stay or leave? your choice.

Edited by Celise

In other words another whiny complaint. If you want to leave you can, nothing stopping you. You have no obligation to make an "i quit thread" about it. But on the same token you can return whenever you feel like. Stay or leave? your choice.

Nothing about what they said was whiny. They're just sharing their reasons for leaving. I've never understood why people take it on themselves to insult those who are sharing that they are departing.

This... is probably the most pointless post I've ever seen on this forum.

I understand a bit of your reasoning, but that reasoning is the same with most MMO's as some mentioned. Sure other MMO's launched stuff quicker in the past but I have the feeling that SWTOR lately is picking up with more content on a regular base. If you look back at 2017 and 2018 the content has been drying up fast. But 2019 has seen a few new planets and there is an expansion coming. Which is on par with what ESO brings out. Maybe you jumped too soon ?

ESO and FFXIV are both great games I played them both alot but I keep coming back to SWTOR since launch. Maybe its the Star Wars theme but I believe that SWTOR is one of the most complete MMO's out there with many different game aspects which other games dont offer.

Anyway good luck hope to see you back as both ESO and FFXIV even with all the content they provide might become boring once you done that all.

I completly understand you OP. I´d love tons of content but I also understand why we don´t get it.

I wish you fun and luck with the other games - (I left them because they are too grindy and boring for me).

SWTOR is the only whole MMO for me, so I´ll probably stay :)

I take your point, but you could always do what I do. I haven't touched this game since May 20th, when ESO introduced Elsweyr. Well, truth be told, I did log in once to buy a sale item on the CM. With that said, I had no problem paying U.S. $45 over the summer so that the forums may benefit from my keen insight and pathbreaking forum posts. :rak_03: <<sips martini>>

No one (well, maybe you know who on this forum) will dispute that content release is behind other games. With that said, I can't think of any MMORPG that releases content faster than players can consume it.

But you are making this post two months (or so) before they release their first major new content update in years. It's not my place to tell you what to do, but my guess is it will probably be worth U.S. $15.

Bottom line: I don't think there is a problem with taking breaks from games and coming back when there is new content.

Regardless, best wishes, May the Force be with you.

Dasty

I too am now firmly ensconced in ESO.

One of the reasons I still return to SWTOR is to read Dasty.

All The Best

OP here...

A common question asked of my post, for clarification purposes, is why I am "Coming to this conclusion now" or what the problem is with the content in the game now. The answer to me is rather simple if a bit long winded:

I have long known the issues the game faces, but I always had one reason or another to keep me here; when I got bored of one thing I went and found something else to keep me busy. For instance, when I felt I had my fill of Warzones I went and learned Starfighter. Also... I mean... lightsabers. Yet when you have been doing that for 7 years, EVERYTHING gets old... and then they release the pitiful Dantooine and Ossus. I fully understand that they are just filler to keep us occupied until something meatier comes along, but I have endured nothing BUT filler since 4.0; I try to block out KOTFE and KOTET... Perhaps 6.0 will be the start of something better? I can only hope. But I will not be returning this year as I have 37 Classes and Jobs to level up on one character in FFXIV.

[EDIT] I would also like to add that this post is a personalized reason for leaving. I understand that people might be enjoying SWTOR right now, but one only needs to look at what remains of the very depleted server population to know that I am far from the only one that feels the way I do. Case in point: It took the devs of SWTOR how long to finish GotM? Two-three years? ESO, alone, releases 2-3 new raid and flashpoint equivalents EVERY year. The same can be said of FFXIV.

SWTOR should add jobs to the game

I do Share alot of your sentiment here. The Zakuul story was way out in Left field for SWTOR and the Content Droughts were very long (Funny it was an Influencer that brought that term up to begin with :)). 2-3 Years for the GOTM, Dantooine's size, Umbarra, Copero only as Flashpoint size Those spanned how long?? and comparing that other games level of content additions it is very telling. I actually Blame E.A. mostly for this in their Throttling SWTOR down to this level and building their own clone to everybody else's game (Again, copying). SWTOR got what all the other EA games didn't want. I have high hopes for Onslaught that it is enjoyable and gives *Hope in the right direction, minimal bugs considering Faction Traitors, Initial Comps reactions to treason and other code heavy changes. We'll see :)

Hes not talking about story, hes talking about content and lack of development content that is needed in order for MMOs to mantain there population. The Zakuul story is not why people left the game lol

I understand a bit of your reasoning, but that reasoning is the same with most MMO's as some mentioned. Sure other MMO's launched stuff quicker in the past but I have the feeling that SWTOR lately is picking up with more content on a regular base. If you look back at 2017 and 2018 the content has been drying up fast. But 2019 has seen a few new planets and there is an expansion coming. Which is on par with what ESO brings out. Maybe you jumped too soon ?

ESO and FFXIV are both great games I played them both alot but I keep coming back to SWTOR since launch. Maybe its the Star Wars theme but I believe that SWTOR is one of the most complete MMO's out there with many different game aspects which other games dont offer.

Anyway good luck hope to see you back as both ESO and FFXIV even with all the content they provide might become boring once you done that all.

If SWTOR didnt have the Star Wars theme people wouldnt play this game, its the same reason why you always come back. SWTOR is our only oppurtunity to live in the star wars universe. Its unfortunate too because other game companies cant make Star Wars games due to licensing so were stuck with this.

Hes not talking about story, hes talking about content and lack of development content that is needed in order for MMOs to mantain there population. The Zakuul story is not why people left the game lol

Agreed...

There were several items. Some of which just happened to be a part of the KotFE format : 8 stories reduced to one theme for all 8 (even the dialogues were much the same). Many of the interactions were texts with a selection of which decision to make to complete those conversations... PvP implosion and many, many more items all of which continued to snowball into the situation we have today.

Agreed...

There were several items. Some of which just happened to be a part of the KotFE format : 8 stories reduced to one theme for all 8 (even the dialogues were much the same). Many of the interactions were texts with a selection of which decision to make to complete those conversations... PvP implosion and many, many more items all of which continued to snowball into the situation we have today.

I love that they did 8 different class stories honestly but as customers, we cant expect them to make 8 different variations after the 1-50 content. Its too much work, money and time consuming.

I love that they did 8 different class stories honestly but as customers, we cant expect them to make 8 different variations after the 1-50 content. Its too much work, money and time consuming.

Possibly.. But there again.. couple that with the loss of all companions and some of the other restrictions.. and a lot of people got really upset !

IMO.. I LIKED KotFE / ET.. and IMO it catches a lot of heat ... but also for the wrong reasons.

As for the 8 stories ... I think you find that the community at large really does miss the individualized story for each class. That does not mean that from time to time they wont cross paths .. or even share some of the same content... BUT for now .. IMO ... permanently blending those into one story line (litterally .. and some times the conversations were exactly the same regardless of what class of character was involved) that might be just the wrong button to push.

At least that's my thought on the matter.

BTW... it should also be noted that I'm not trying to be argumentative .. just my thought on the matter. I do understand where you are coming from !

I totally understand, though right now is probably a bad time to do it as a new xpac is about to come out.

Though, yes i agree. SWTOR expansions are more like big patches.

SWTOR is the most fun to play MMO imo. But, it doesn't have the content development support it deserves. I see the "new" team is definitely trying to do all they can, and they are doing a good job with the resources they have.

But if this game had the same content support that ESO or FFXIV have, wich a full expansion every 2 years, this game would gain a lot more popularity. But EA is filled with incompetent managers. Papa Keith is the exception, and i don't know what else he can do, but i know that supporting the release of Onslaught will be the best thing we can do. If numbers look good maybe then he can start expanding the team.

I know that Bioware still believes in the game but EA obviously doesn't. So, we got to prove to EA they are wrong.

Nothing would make me happier than to make SWTOR my full time MMO. Atm i play it for a few months and then go play something else. But SWTOR is the only mmo where when i get in bed, i actually feel like playing. Cause it's so fun. I want it to be my only mmo.

I haven't played ESO, but i am playing FFXIV and i will tell you, a lot of it is hype. The game is boring to tears. Dungeons and raids are fine, but the questing experience is terrible, at least so far (i'm about to start Stormblood).

No one in their right mind should experience all that. I tell you now, it is a waste of time. The game is super grindy and boring. Nothing like SWTOR, much much much worse.

I don't recommend FFXIV to anyone cause i don't recomend things i know are super boring to my friends, but i do recommend SWTOR and say it's really fun, cause it is. It just doesn't have the same level of content support as WOW/ESO/FF.

Both ESO and FF were disasters at launch. Their launch stories may actually be worse than SWTOR's, but the companies kept supporting it. EA didn't. The minute EA hears backlash, they immediately cut the cord.

And it's not only that. EA is only interested in huge ROI. So, anything that isn't making what FIFA is making, they don't care about.

Hopefully, lootboxes get banned and FIFA stops being able to take advantage of the vulnerable and EA will have to find other, more honest ways to make money. It will only be good for the players if that happens, and maybe they will take another look at what they have that is untapped potential.

Edited by Nemmar

When BW launched KotFE there was a big FanFare, alot of people returned and others started, BioWare claimed a Landmark in subscriptions (That means a high amount). But on into the story SWTOR *Lost subscriptions due to its narrow format many claiming their class('s) were no-longer represented (Funneling), odd story and other issues; SWTOR lost more subscriptions then they gained at KOTFE's start. I Like the story aspects of SWTOR to the point of excluding other aspects but even I thought it wasn't their best choice. The "I Hate Zakuul" mantra is still quite popular here to the point BW has stated after Nathema nothing of that story will remain (Story-wise atleast).

Like the OP the lack of content is a big issue here for me and again its E.A. I Blame mostly for that. BioWare divided did not/ has not the personnel, machines or money to develop both SWTOR and Anthem at a continuous pace with other games. *Hopefully now with Onslaught and getting back with traditional B.W./ SWTOR story-lines things here will pick up and gain subscriptions to a point where E.A. will again look this way with interest. Hopefully the "Traitor" theme will give players a chance to play their character in the faction they like or would have *Preferred in the first place.

I too am now firmly ensconced in ESO.

One of the reasons I still return to SWTOR is to read Dasty.

All The Best

15.58 a month and you get to read Spuds and Dasty.....oh... and you can log into the game as well if you want.

I have been in ESO the last few weeks myself. FINALLY got my first CL160 toon last night......

but...

back to SWTOR discussions.

• 3 weeks later...
Sometimes it's good to take long breaks from the game. I started playing at launch( also did beta), and I've taken more than a few breaks that have lasted from 2-10 months. It's nice to get away to refresh your enjoyment for swtor. You're 100% right on SWTOR lacking compared to other games though.

Sometimes it's good to take long breaks from the game. I started playing at launch( also did beta), and I've taken more than a few breaks that have lasted from 2-10 months. It's nice to get away to refresh your enjoyment for swtor. You're 100% right on SWTOR lacking compared to other games though.

I too played swtor beta and from launch then I took a break for a long while. I returned just before KOTFE launched - I'd been a WoW player for years wow started to cater for a different crowd and went downhill hence my return to swtor.

Unfortunately, there are too many things wrong in swtor that remain unfixed and/or ignored. I just re-subbed WoW so I could access the WoW Classic stress test that's running today & tomorrow. I'd forgotten how brilliant a game could be; in just a couple of hours I am hooked on old WoW again. I immediately resubbed my WoW accounts for 6 months each as WoW Classic will definitely hold my interest. As an example of the difference, the wow team identified an issue just now, did a server downtime to fix it and were back up in around 5 minutes. And that's just the stress test!

Just taking a break from swtor is not going to fix my problems with it. As someone else said, I play because it gives me the opportunity to be part of the Star Wars universe. It really bothers me that some excellent feedback from players (on the PTS and on the forums) is just ignored. I'm afraid swtor 6.0 (Onslaught) is going to have to be spectacular to keep my interest (and keep me paying). Fingers crossed.

Dasty, Spuds & Trixie, you're all awesome but my sensible brain just won't let me stay subbed to read your posts! :p

• 2 weeks later...
I forget where I read it, but one of the most major issues is with something BioWare hasn't come right out and stated, but apparently believe internally:

They are perfectly ok having a business model where players take a break and then come back.

I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading that this was an official BioWare/EA mindset regarding the game.

And without outwardly stating that, it leads to a disconnect, where players don't want to take that break, but instead want content to keep them here, but the developers are ok with players leaving, counting on them to come back when major updates occur.

Can't say I agree with the BioWare business model, but if their hands are tied, not much can be done. The thing with Final Fantasy and ESO is they are run by the companies that own the product. In SWTOR's case, EA is the owner, BioWare is the producer - so BioWare doesn't have the freedom to scale up production like the other 2 entities do.

Honestly I think funding (or lack of) for this game dictates what stance they take openly regarding player retention. I mean, what are they supposed to say?

I'm definitely on the opposite end of the spectrum. I recently (within the past few days) resubbed to SWTOR after being away for 8 years. The last time i played was when level 50 was the cap. (pre-Hutt Cartel Expansion) I resubbed because I was getting that KoToR itch and since KoToR 3 doesn't exist resubbing and playing SWTOR was the next best thing. I'm currently in love with the game again after 8 years.

This is also due to be being primarily a FFXIV player. It's been my mainstay MMO (still is) since the Heavensward expansion launched. I Decided to come back to SWTOR because I finished the Shadowbringers Story and have nearly every class at max level so I was thinking of another side-mmo to come back to until the Story for FFXIV continues. I've been able to decide that during FFXIV lulls (every mmo has them) I'll still be playing SWTOR. I'm also excited for the new expansion story.

Since I've seen it brought up several times, and not just in this thread about how part of SWTOR's business model is them wanting players to take breaks. SE actually has the exact same mindset. The lead Developer Naoki Yoshida has said in interviews that he wants players to take breaks from the game and play other games. Obviously this mind-set is spreading to other MMO's as well. I just don't think, that in this day and age companies really want people to just brute force 1 MMO and 1 MMO only, because they will never be able to put out the level of content to satisfy those types of players. It's also the reason I play Multiple MMO's.

Whether that's a good direction for a MMO like SWTOR to take...who knows honestly. I've been away for too long and have way too much to do in this game now to make that call. Just wanted to throw my experience into the mix. Cheers.