PVE DPS: Picking one class and sticking with it

mykaelmjr

Hello all and Happy Holidays,

I recently came back to SWTOR and I've been debating on which class to go with. I'm mainly a melee dps type of guy is which why I've leveled a sentinel, guardian, and vanguard. I did level a gunslinger to 50 but I found that I just enjoy melee much more. I want to pick one class and stick with it since I'm a min/max type of person and am willing to really sit down and master a class. Like I said, I mainly want to dps but having another role would be a bonus since I can always fill different roles and not miss content. I am looking at also pvping once in a while. Here we go:

Vanguard (Assault)

Pros: Can produce some of the best dps, can also tank, great utility

Cons: Lack of a distance closer, lack of a distance attack after patch a while back

Sentinel

Pros: Can produce top dps, only focuses on dps, has a range closer (force leap), great buffs/utility

Cons: So many sents, can only dps

Guardian

Pros: Can dps well if played correctly, can tank, has a range closer (force leap), has armor debuff

Cons: Even played correctly dps isnt as good as it could be, lack of utility

Well there it is. If anyone can provide their insights or advice, that would be great. At this time it does feel like its between my vanguard and my sentinel. If guardian was more competitive, I think it would easily be my main.

Thanks for your advice and Happy Holidays!

Guardians can be very good, Vanguards can top charts. Only problem is both of them require guards because the vanguard has no threat drop, and the guardian has a terrible threat drop, the only threat drop in the game that actually costs resources.

Honestly there's no bad DPS classes in the game, Bioware actually did do a decent job when they said all classes are within about 5% of each other. There may be a bit of a learning curve for some classes, but I've seen great DPS of every class.

Tanks are fairly well balanced too, mercs kinda trail as healers unless they can just concentrate as tank healers. Mercs are amazing when they can just tank heal.

I know this may seem like a weird question but what about the other two melee classes avaliable?

Scoundrel

Pros- Stealth, High burst, ability to heal

Cons- DPS hard to learn and doesn't get good until level 36, already seen the story [as you have a level 50 gunslinger]

Shadow

Pros- Ability to tank, stealth, high burst potential, can solo flashpoints

Cons- Um... i honestly can't think of a con for shadows personally, they have quite a bit going for them, im surprised there aren't more running around.

The vanguard does have a gap close(pull) granted it's effected by resolve. Also, the nerf you speak of was nothing, playing the class correctly means your within 10 meters at all times and 4 meters most of the time in order to get your rail shot procs. You can't go wrong with a vanguard, as long as you don't get sucked into tanking forever like me.

I know this may seem like a weird question but what about the other two melee classes avaliable?

Shadow

Pros- Ability to tank, stealth, high burst potential, can solo flashpoints

Cons- Um... i honestly can't think of a con for shadows personally, they have quite a bit going for them, im surprised there aren't more running around.

Ssshhh....... don't tell them that, the last thing the shadow community wants is a fleet full of shadows :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guardians can be very good, Vanguards can top charts. Only problem is both of them require guards because the vanguard has no threat drop, and the guardian has a terrible threat drop, the only threat drop in the game that actually costs resources.

Funny that, i personally think its ruddy brilliant. Granted, it does cost resources, which makes it cumbersome to use. The perk of it however is the fact that if you use that thread dump and still have aggro, taking dmg will reduce it further. however, the best thing about it is the fact that its actually useful outside of a PvE environment, as its use in PvP is really quite nice.

• 4 weeks later...
The vanguard does have a gap close(pull) granted it's effected by resolve. Also, the nerf you speak of was nothing, playing the class correctly means your within 10 meters at all times and 4 meters most of the time in order to get your rail shot procs. You can't go wrong with a vanguard, as long as you don't get sucked into tanking forever like me.

I think he's talking PVE gap closer. If you're doing PVE DPS, you don't want to use Harpoon - it's a high-threat move and you don't want to pull a mob away from the tank anyways. Vanguards DO have a charge, but it's in the tanking tree.

I think he's talking PVE gap closer. If you're doing PVE DPS, you don't want to use Harpoon - it's a high-threat move and you don't want to pull a mob away from the tank anyways. Vanguards DO have a charge, but it's in the tanking tree.

Meh, rapid shots does over 1k DPS (something like 1200 using rapid, rail and explosive date at 30m. Plus they can do full.damage from 10m instead of % Ptech/vanguard doesn't really need the gap closer for pve, though it'd certainly be nice in many situations.