Padme, innocent as they protray her?

Nataph

As I watch the Clone Wars Series, Padme is the same as always. She cares so much and wishes peace for everyone. She loves everyone and is willing to do everything to create peace for the war, however is she that innocent?

I mean the woman knew Anakin killed Tusken raiders and their children and she kept quiet. Not only that but she falls in love with the killer and marries him. Marries him when she knew Jedi were supposed to not get married going against an Jedi Order's rule. She lies about their marriage the whole time and never tells anyone about their marriage. She didn't even answer Obi when he questioned her that the baby was Anakin's.

But yet, the Clone Wars series leads us to believe she is the perpetual tree hugger and lover of all mankind.... other than the tuskan raiders because of course they were bad savage animals along with the children.

Padme was also easily manipulated by Palpatine and is associated with the Fall of the Republic and the Reign of the Sith.

Innocent? Despite the lies and the knowledge of a killer.

or

The Righteous peace lover who was just so in love she was willing to forego her lover's obvious flaws?

Well, considering that she got into politics while she was just a teenager, then I figure she is a wonderful jab at the entire idea that royalty is in any way inherently good.

The entire prequel trilogy is rather good if you look at it as a jab at traditional morals and the horrors that war drives everyone to.

But i digress, padme was developmentally stunted by politics.

This (imo) was the worst thing that Lucas ever did (maybe 2nd to the Ewoks).

The love story between Padme and Anakin is TERIBBLE!! Not to mention how unrealistic it is! Who would fall in love with a guy who says "You're in my very soul.... tomenting me." That's the worst line EVER!

Yeah, I like a good love story, and I think that AotC would have been WAY better if the love story could have been different.

This (imo) was the worst thing that Lucas ever did (maybe 2nd to the Ewoks).

The love story between Padme and Anakin is TERIBBLE!! Not to mention how unrealistic it is! Who would fall in love with a guy who says "You're in my very soul.... tomenting me." That's the worst line EVER!

Yeah, I like a good love story, and I think that AotC would have been WAY better if the love story could have been different.

The romance is bad, but Anakin's slaughter against the tusken raiders is a good scene, that shows he could do anything for his loved ones, even if it's horrible.

I kinda already explained this through several threads..though can't find my posts, will cover it in my Analysis thread for Anakin. But I don't think innocent is the right word for Padme here, I mean she has fought in battle many times, she does care about her people and the Republic that is for sure. Really though, they spent a lot of time together alone while the movies don't really show this you pretty much have to take into account of what happens off screen of what you don't see(just like any other movie).

This more then likely was refreshing to Padme, as she got to actually KNOW someone rather then being hit on by snobbish senators or princes or whoever, never those wanting to get to actually know her.

As for her being manipulated...not entirely sure where that comes from, she was plotting with others(Bail Organa and Mon Mothma notably) against Palpatine.

To the Sand People thing, they are monsters. They aren't human in the sense that they actually care for anyone who they attack, I mean they train their youths to be killers, having them go out and torture beasts or humans(example Shmi). So them all being killed by Anakin, doesn't really make him a killer...he wasn't kill defenseless people he was killing monsters who go out, raid farms and carvans, kill/capture/torture the people and take their things.

I kinda already explained this through several threads..though can't find my posts, will cover it in my Analysis thread for Anakin. But I don't think innocent is the right word for Padme here, I mean she has fought in battle many times, she does care about her people and the Republic that is for sure. Really though, they spent a lot of time together alone while the movies don't really show this you pretty much have to take into account of what happens off screen of what you don't see(just like any other movie).

This more then likely was refreshing to Padme, as she got to actually KNOW someone rather then being hit on by snobbish senators or princes or whoever, never those wanting to get to actually know her.

As for her being manipulated...not entirely sure where that comes from, she was plotting with others(Bail Organa and Mon Mothma notably) against Palpatine.

To the Sand People thing, they are monsters. They aren't human in the sense that they actually care for anyone who they attack, I mean they train their youths to be killers, having them go out and torture beasts or humans(example Shmi). So them all being killed by Anakin, doesn't really make him a killer...he wasn't kill defenseless people he was killing monsters who go out, raid farms and carvans, kill/capture/torture the people and take their things.

She was manipulated in EP I, Palpatine used her to vote against Valorum. If we add the EU her election as queen was nothing but Palpatine's scheme, of course he underestimated her a bit.

She was manipulated in EP I, Palpatine used her to vote against Valorum. If we add the EU her election as queen was nothing but Palpatine's scheme, of course he underestimated her a bit.

Ok yes she was tricked on that part , but Valorum was an incompetent moron who didn't know what the hell was going on. As for her rise to queen...ehhh yes and no I wanna say on that, she was already popular and opposed Veruna's policies though I won't say that Palpatine didn't give her an extra leg up.

Am speaking more of the manipulation thing during EP 3, not so much the first two.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

She was easily manipulated in Darth Plageuis.

Sand people are monsters to certain people but tell that to the Sand People and their children. The Children can be seen as innocent at the moment but in time would be killers only through circumstance.. but that is an assumption. Tahira Veila was once a sand person but became a Jedi. Anakin despite avenging his mother, did avenger her with hatred, meaning he was no different. I understand why he did it but it doesnt make it right. Padme knowing this, and at the time, still werent 'dating' means someone can tell you at their first few dates they killed ferets because they were angry. Would you still be with them or think them a little weird?

Sand people are monsters to certain people but tell that to the Sand People and their children. The Children can be seen as innocent at the moment but in time would be killers only through circumstance.. but that is an assumption. Tahira Veila was once a sand person but became a Jedi. Anakin despite avenging his mother, did avenger her with hatred, meaning he was no different. I understand why he did it but it doesnt make it right. Padme knowing this, and at the time, still werent 'dating' means someone can tell you at their first few dates they killed ferets because they were angry. Would you still be with them or think them a little weird?

Well that's wrong, but that does not make a person evil. Just like Satele Shan.

Edited by Slowpokeking

You mean Palpatine, though I don't recall other then the Valorum thing to be really manipulating but even then with Valorum he wasn't entirely liked by anyone.

As for Tahiri being a Sand Person, she wasn't actually a Sand Person she was a human and even as a Sand Person didn't seem to be really taught anything seeing as she was brought before the jedi at 9 years old, and the fact she had strong animosity towards the cultural aspects of the Sand People.

I would see them as a little weird sure, but its not like Anakin killed a defenseless human being. He killed those who killed others, and raised their children to be savages. Even then though Anakin knew it was wrong for him to do so, being a jedi he shouldn't have given into his anger. So it was wrong being that he was a jedi and he should know better, but it wasn't wrong in the sense that it was a bad thing being that given the history of the Sand People and them killing his mother.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Ah Padme... My good friend and I have had several convos about her... Our conclusion usually comes down to her being dense and a tease. Mostly the second thing.

She knows how little orphan Ani feels about her, yet one she dances the line between 'no we shouldn't' to playful flirting. I suppose that happens alot in real life, but she outta know the Jedi code and have asked Yoda or Mace for another bodyguard to avoid all the trouble to begin with.

As for the Sand People slaughter... I could go either way with that. She looks shocked by it but she also understands how upset little orphan Ani was. Since in Star Wars the Sand People are views as 'savage beasts', I suppose the folks on Tatooine probably would have hailed Ani as a hero. Of coarse, they are sentient beings despite thier warrior society so its still murder.

Actually, the whole thing with "the jedi betrayed the republic" is where I facepalmed. Of coarse, why Obi didn't bring proof that little orphan Ani killed all those people when confronting Padme is beyond me. Still, she's concerned about the fate of the republic with her 'sepertist talk' but then believes the jedi turned on the republic by trying to kill Palpy.

Eh... I don't know. Maybe thier 'love' wasn't bad writing... And just the SW version of Misery with less kidnapping and broken bones. All that time with little orphan Ani on Naboo caused Padme to develop Stockholm Syndrome. It's the only way I can choke down the 'devoted love.'

But innocent... Probably. I think she loves the ideals of the republic, whether manipulated or not behind the scenes. However, I think her 'love' for Ani made her to dense to see how insane he was becoming.

As I watch the Clone Wars Series, Padme is the same as always. She cares so much and wishes peace for everyone. She loves everyone and is willing to do everything to create peace for the war, however is she that innocent?

I mean the woman knew Anakin killed Tusken raiders and their children and she kept quiet. Not only that but she falls in love with the killer and marries him. Marries him when she knew Jedi were supposed to not get married going against an Jedi Order's rule. She lies about their marriage the whole time and never tells anyone about their marriage. She didn't even answer Obi when he questioned her that the baby was Anakin's.

But yet, the Clone Wars series leads us to believe she is the perpetual tree hugger and lover of all mankind.... other than the tuskan raiders because of course they were bad savage animals along with the children.

Padme was also easily manipulated by Palpatine and is associated with the Fall of the Republic and the Reign of the Sith.

Innocent? Despite the lies and the knowledge of a killer.

or

The Righteous peace lover who was just so in love she was willing to forego her lover's obvious flaws?

• Lets see....Anakin had his mother tortured for a month and probably *****, he got angry and killed them all. A bad thign yes...but it's not like he got bored and decided to kill a camp of Tuskens...
  • Padme friend-zoned Anakin for most of Ep II until she was about to die, after that moment Anakin persuaded her into marriage.
  • Why wouldn't Padme lie about being with Anakin? He'd get thrown out of Order and just complicate things for herself as well.
  • Super obvous body-language told Obi-wan that the child was Anakin's in Ep III and Obi-wan had a feeling that Anakin was the father anyway if you watched Ep III closer.

And you are acting like the Tuskins were good people...

Yup, she is some form of racism ever thogh her uncle was Rodian... :rolleyes:\

I hated her "oh lets try to be peaceful" characteristics, but your description is a tad flawed and limited.

Edited by Eillack

The line is cheesy, and not in a good way. But, the sentiment is a good one. Have you never been in love with someone so much that the mere thought of them hurts because you're not together? Have you ever loved someone, been close to that person on a regular basis, but know that you can't be with him or her? That's what that line means. Anakin was so in love (some detractors might say merely infatuated) with Padme that the fact that he was not with her caused him anguish.

And therein lies one of Anakin's flaws, and it's not a flaw of his character, but his upbringing. I don't believe the Jedi Order really prepared most kids with how to deal with emotions well. Certainly, in Anakin's case, he was poorly equipped for them. Love, anger, fear ... whatever the emotion, Anakin lacked the tools to deal with them in positive ways. And that more than any other thing was what I think fated his downfall.

As to the OP's question regarding Padme herself, I like to think that Padme is the idealist she's portrayed as being. But, I think she also knew that telling anyone what happened on Tatooine wouldn't do much good. No one on Tatooine likes the Sand People. Hell, they'd probably give him a medal. The Lars family certainly would celebrate what happened. On Coruscant, all it would serve to do is bring Anakin's future as a Jedi into question. Better to keep quiet and let him learn the lesson on his own.

Of course, to use the vernacular, all that did was enable him. Perhaps if she had told Obi-Wan, then he could have talked to Anakin about those feelings. It's not as if the Jedi are unforgiving to people who backslide a bit. As far as keeping the marriage a secret, that was probably completely necessary. The Jedi forbid attachments, and Anakin surely would have been kicked out. It wouldn't just be for being married, as a Jedi could apply for a special dispensation for marriage. But, he married a Senator--a politician; that would, I think, be the greater problem.

The line is cheesy, and not in a good way. But, the sentiment is a good one. Have you never been in love with someone so much that the mere thought of them hurts because you're not together? Have you ever loved someone, been close to that person on a regular basis, but know that you can't be with him or her? That's what that line means. Anakin was so in love (some detractors might say merely infatuated) with Padme that the fact that he was not with her caused him anguish.

And therein lies one of Anakin's flaws, and it's not a flaw of his character, but his upbringing. I don't believe the Jedi Order really prepared most kids with how to deal with emotions well. Certainly, in Anakin's case, he was poorly equipped for them. Love, anger, fear ... whatever the emotion, Anakin lacked the tools to deal with them in positive ways. And that more than any other thing was what I think fated his downfall.

As to the OP's question regarding Padme herself, I like to think that Padme is the idealist she's portrayed as being. But, I think she also knew that telling anyone what happened on Tatooine wouldn't do much good. No one on Tatooine likes the Sand People. Hell, they'd probably give him a medal. The Lars family certainly would celebrate what happened. On Coruscant, all it would serve to do is bring Anakin's future as a Jedi into question. Better to keep quiet and let him learn the lesson on his own.

Of course, to use the vernacular, all that did was enable him. Perhaps if she had told Obi-Wan, then he could have talked to Anakin about those feelings. It's not as if the Jedi are unforgiving to people who backslide a bit. As far as keeping the marriage a secret, that was probably completely necessary. The Jedi forbid attachments, and Anakin surely would have been kicked out. It wouldn't just be for being married, as a Jedi could apply for a special dispensation for marriage. But, he married a Senator--a politician; that would, I think, be the greater problem.

You make a good point.

However: you say many of Anakin's flaws have to do with his upbringing (essiantially the Order's fault). I strongly disagree. I remember reading a book about when Anakin was a young padawan, and compared to the other padawans (who were also brought up by the Order) Anakin's character was still bad.

That kid was just messed up. If I had to use one word to sum him up, it would be selfish.

Sorry. This has been off topic.