One planet is not an expansion

Darth-Rammstein

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like mentioned before, there are likely a few teams who work on content. There is probably a larger, 6 week dev team who has the sole job of add all the little things on the list of must do. Then there is likely the 6 month team who is dedicated to larger content, similar to the events we see, like the Gree or Space Zombie stuff we have seen. Then we probably have the year long cycle team who has the job of creating smaller expansions to tie players over and give them some new content. Then we have the off the cycle dev team who has no deadline but can't create larger full feature expansions and take the game forward in leaps and bounds. They would be working on projects like the new secret "space" project that we all caught wind of.

If this is the case, then we will be looking at an mmo that has a regular turn out for content like BioWare had said they will try to do. These things aren't always possible, as we all know, Murphy's law applies to everyone.

I do see Makeb being worth $10 or $20 because its just like any other DLC out there, it is something more, it is inexpensive and it will tie me over.

The rest of you who gripe about it, either need better paying jobs or to grow up and stop being so self entitled. Hold your breath and stomp your feet, I would let you pass out.

Like mentioned before, there are likely a few teams who work on content. There is probably a larger, 6 week dev team who has the sole job of add all the little things on the list of must do. Then there is likely the 6 month team who is dedicated to larger content, similar to the events we see, like the Gree or Space Zombie stuff we have seen. Then we probably have the year long cycle team who has the job of creating smaller expansions to tie players over and give them some new content. Then we have the off the cycle dev team who has no deadline but can't create larger full feature expansions and take the game forward in leaps and bounds. They would be working on projects like the new secret "space" project that we all caught wind of.

If this is the case, then we will be looking at an mmo that has a regular turn out for content like BioWare had said they will try to do. These things aren't always possible, as we all know, Murphy's law applies to everyone.

I do see Makeb being worth $10 or $20 because its just like any other DLC out there, it is something more, it is inexpensive and it will tie me over.

The rest of you who gripe about it, either need better paying jobs or to grow up and stop being so self entitled. Hold your breath and stomp your feet, I would let you pass out.

So you start with a whole load of perhaps, possibly, maybes then turn to insults, nice post.

I would be more than happy with a 'Major update the size of Makeb' every 3 months and paying for it, however what I will not buy is unclear content that is unknown as to its completeness simply to pad a quarterly set of figures (my opinion).

That's fair, I wouldn't doubt that that is part of it. I'm sure the devs are under pressure to show good financial gains before the end of the year. I don't think it's inherently evil or deceitful personally, it's a business. I save my indignation and outrage for things that matter, gaming isn't one of them. One of the reasons they probably haven't released more details is that all the details are probably not locked down yet, especially if we're not going to see this for 3-4 months. As things become finalized they'll release more info. As it is I feel what we know so far and knowing that not everything has been revealed already warrants the 10 dollars for me. If it helps their 3rd quarter bottom line then good for them.

Totally agree (except some of the last part). Basically what I was trying to say.

Edited by DaRoamer

To give you all a better idea of Makeb's scope, it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets and it contains a variety of areas – sprawling mesas, underground caverns, garden estates, and more. It introduces faction-specific storylines, new Heroic missions and bosses, repeatable mission series, and new Datacrons! The 5 new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time, and there's plenty of content to get you there (including a lot of stuff tucked away for the explorers out there). Keep in mind that this announcement is just the start – as we approach Makeb's launch, you'll see more details about the content coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel!

So no extra chapters in a classes story? Just a lame amount of 5 levels, seriously! Guess bioware is taking page our of WOW's experience by stalling for more time by only increasing the levels by 5 instead of 10. But this would mean they would have to get off their butts and actually try to make a good expansion instead of a stalling tactic...

i have afraid ...

old flashpoint revamped to 55...

5 level in 3 day

many daily to farm ("section X" style)

4 datacron maybe 5

1 or 2 ability 5 talent point --> 3+2

and no more .........

it's becoming boring i need more

more event

space mission pvp

cooperative space mission

arena

pazaak

swoop

a duel floor on fleet

a good open pvp

chance to attack different planet faction maybe with a guild ship

different skin tier ... 1 ops -> 1 tier pls

only normal and hard mode ops....nightmare is boring i realt hate repeat 3 times a boss

let normal mode to group finder.

give me more.....and more is differet than FARM

there's realy a galaxy of possibilities....but you are not exploring it

i'm sub from the early access, and i realy hope on the rise of swtor..but you must give us more

To give you all a better idea of Makeb's scope, it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets and it contains a variety of areas – sprawling mesas, underground caverns, garden estates, and more. It introduces faction-specific storylines, new Heroic missions and bosses, repeatable mission series, and new Datacrons! The 5 new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time, and there's plenty of content to get you there (including a lot of stuff tucked away for the explorers out there). Keep in mind that this announcement is just the start – as we approach Makeb's launch, you'll see more details about the content coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel!

So its a second Belsavis or Taris. Included 4-5 main hubs + 3-4 more for bonus. Add fancy "faction-specific storyline", which is basically some mumbo-jumbo that nobody cares about...

As for the fair amount of time.. you can either calculate XP to give 5 levels worth of XP for all content - which means basically calculating the amount of xp needed/awarded per mob / quest + heroics, or whatever levels you want to force us to "grind" flashpoints/ops for level cap.

So, basically, you ask us to pay for another Belsavis / Taris / Hoth.

Now, please do come in here and explain to me why am I wrong, with clear specifics, so we can compare what you say with what we`ll see in the actual "expansion".

Also, if my game is not running from planet to planet eating all the useless content... what else have you got for me? Anything "end-game" related in there?

Edited by Styxx

For now they will receive no money from me for a pre order, unless they show me something special, and out of the ordinary for this expansion.

And this is the best way to show you feel unhappy with the amount of content announced so far for RotHC. Not pages and pages of whine and entitlement so many other posters have shown in this thread.

Bravo you crazy old mystic, for being one of the few with something against this thing who is showing some clear decency and intelligence.

"Unable to retrieve server list. Please follow the help center link below for more information" This was my Christmas gift from EAWARE. And they are trying to sell an "expansion pack". Can the defenders defend this...please try, I dare you.

Sorry EAWare but a single planet is not considered an expansion for any mmo. $10 isn't a lot of money but it shouldn't cost anything to subscribers to be honest. You have made a killing with the f2p shop, it's not like you're not making money off this game already! Not to mention you can't even purchase it with CC coins, just seems to me like another nickel and dime grab from your loyal fans.

When Trials of Obiwan dropped, Sony simply gave SWG players one planet. When Burning Crusade dropped, Blizzard simply gave players one planet.

This is what MMO companies have been doing for years. I don't see what's wrong with it.

Sorry EAWare but a single planet is not considered an expansion for any mmo. $10 isn't a lot of money but it shouldn't cost anything to subscribers to be honest. You have made a killing with the f2p shop, it's not like you're not making money off this game already! Not to mention you can't even purchase it with CC coins, just seems to me like another nickel and dime grab from your loyal fans.

Please for the love of all that is the force, DO NOT listen to this badger! He knows not what he has done!

One big planet with several zones is so much better then 10 planets which equals one zone each. Think about it OP and others that agree with the badger, it's pretty much what ruined the game in the first place, to feel isolated in one zone all alone with only 4 people around you, and everything seems desolated like a bad case of a wasteland in the Fallout series. Boooh badger, go awai and repent your sins evil demon! You heathen blasphemer!

You don't know how big Makeb is. Stop with the damn hyperbole.

Well guess what, no matter what people speculate people usually go through a planet in about an hour and they bigger planets maybe 4-5 hours. A 5 level increase just shows me that the planet is going to be small enough to just add more daily crap, more of same looking gear and weapons, and 1 Fp, 1 opt and 1 more pvp thing. So YES it is nothing more than a content patch and not an expansion. So if anything subscribers shouldn't have to pay whereas the F2P should have to. Most who are defending this so called "expansion" are being nothing but optimists. Just face facts, this new content seems like a rush job considering they have all of these outstanding bugs already they have yet to fix and yet focus more on the cartel market than anything else....

Well guess what, no matter what people speculate people usually go through a planet in about an hour and they bigger planets maybe 4-5 hours. A 5 level increase just shows me that the planet is going to be small enough to just add more daily crap, more of same looking gear and weapons, and 1 Fp, 1 opt and 1 more pvp thing. So YES it is nothing more than a content patch and not an expansion. So if anything subscribers shouldn't have to pay whereas the F2P should have to. Most who are defending this so called "expansion" are being nothing but optimists. Just face facts, this new content seems like a rush job considering they have all of these outstanding bugs already they have yet to fix and yet focus more on the cartel market than anything else....

Sure, but at least we're getting something, it's been a year already and we haven't been getting much but small pieces here and there in some patches. Still no sign of chat bubbles :mad:

When Trials of Obiwan dropped, Sony simply gave SWG players one planet. When Burning Crusade dropped, Blizzard simply gave players one planet.

This is what MMO companies have been doing for years. I don't see what's wrong with it.

Sigh, why do people keep comparing Makeb to wow continents like they are even remotely similar in size. Outlands was just one world yes, but it had 7 zones to explore. Makeb is one zone and at most covers as much area as two of those wow zones. With that said Makeb is only $10 and it seems to be a fair price in comparison to a $40 xpac...the question I have on my mind is what else is included in Makeb? I don't want to spend money on just a quest zone and be back on the fleet by dinner time if you know what I mean.

I'm reposting this, my reply to another similar thread because I think it's relevent and appropriate here:

Although I think it is rather sleezy and cheesy to just offer one planet, one quest line and "up the level cap" to make it look like they actually did something for the players (which they did not), I have to admit.... it is only $10

I know I, and a lot of you (whether you want to admit it or not), paid a lot more than that for two separate one planet expansions of another Star Wars MMO, and we were all bouncing in our chairs waiting for them to go live too. You don't have to admit it, but we both know :rak_03:

This expansion may not be on the scale of JTL, but it does sound comparable to ROTW or TOW, and the price is at least a bit closer to reasonable for what we're getting.

Sigh, why do people keep comparing Makeb to wow continents like they are even remotely similar in size. Outlands was just one world yes, but it had 7 zones to explore. Makeb is one zone and at most covers as much area as two of those wow zones. With that said Makeb is only $10 and it seems to be a fair price in comparison to a $40 xpac...the question I have on my mind is what else is included in Makeb? I don't want to spend money on just a quest zone and be back on the fleet by dinner time if you know what I mean.

Sounded to me like Makeb was the size of planets like Coruscant, which is actually 5 or so zones. So Makeb is larger than Outand.

Sounded to me like Makeb was the size of planets like Coruscant, which is actually 5 or so zones. So Makeb is larger than Outand.

Coruscant is not as big as outland, have you even played wow? Coruscant is just repetitive alley ways in an enclosed environment. Either you have a distorted perception of size or you are a troll.

It's possible but unconfirmed, the world Varl, the original homeworld of the Hutts, may also be included in the expansion. It was originally planned for 1.4 but got pushed back, would make sense to include it, particularly since the expansion revolves around the Hutts.

http://www.torhead.com/guide/leaks

If you look at 1.3 in that link, you'll see a lot of it was split up and made into 1.3 to 1.6. That's why I'm certain Varl could be considered to be included with the expansion, but this is only based on presumption.

I'm reposting this, my reply to another similar thread because I think it's relevent and appropriate here:

Although I think it is rather sleezy and cheesy to just offer one planet, one quest line and "up the level cap" to make it look like they actually did something for the players (which they did not), I have to admit.... it is only $10

I know I, and a lot of you (whether you want to admit it or not), paid a lot more than that for two separate one planet expansions of another Star Wars MMO, and we were all bouncing in our chairs waiting for them to go live too. You don't have to admit it, but we both know :rak_03:

This expansion may not be on the scale of JTL, but it does sound comparable to ROTW or TOW, and the price is at least a bit closer to reasonable for what we're getting.

Do we know if we are getting class quests, seeing as our lvl cap is being raised and all. That alone would be a lot af work, since we have like 8 separate story for each and everyone. Loads of dialog and animation and stuff.

Do we know if we are getting class quests, seeing as our lvl cap is being raised and all. That alone would be a lot af work, since we have like 8 separate story for each and everyone. Loads of dialog and animation and stuff.

Nope, we get two separate story lines (one for each faction) and that's it.

"The Five new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time"

That may last most players an hour, maybe two. Sorry, that made me laugh, but I do agree with everything else. Its still an expansion with all the new stuff. Can't wait to check it out.

It's possible but unconfirmed, the world Varl, the original homeworld of the Hutts, may also be included in the expansion. It was originally planned for 1.4 but got pushed back, would make sense to include it, particularly since the expansion revolves around the Hutts.

http://www.torhead.com/guide/leaks

If you look at 1.3 in that link, you'll see a lot of it was split up and made into 1.3 to 1.6. That's why I'm certain Varl could be considered to be included with the expansion, but this is only based on presumption.

I think they would have already announced that, if Varl was to be included. There's no way they would have left out a planet if it's on the way with Makeb. At best, there might be a quest that takes you there briefly, but I don't think Varl is coming in the expansion.

A proper expansion would be better, but if we get new skills and maybe a new AC, alongside a WZ, FP and Op, I'm okay with $10. I would prefer 2 WZs as a PvP'er, but that's not going to happen.

A real expansion with the new space game should have class stories, imo, and that would be in 2014 I'm assuming, if it happens.

Honestly, I don't mind this model, adventure packs, if it means new planets/story on a faster face, like 2-3 planets a year. The story and questing is the best part of SWTOR, even the planetary arcs. They are generally well done, and, in some cases, I liked them better than parts of the class stories. At the very least, I didn't think the class stories were written better.

So: if we get a planetary story with quests as good as the Revanite quests, for example, it will be a fun week of casual leveling with good story, and will bring some other new things into the game.

This is good for SWTOR. I just wish they'd stuck to their original announcement and we were playing Makeb now. :)

Edited by arunav