Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F2P thing doesn't bother me by itself but when you look at how much money they screwed everyone out of with the game dropping to 15 dollars not even a year after release, that gets me mad. $60 for the game even if you just played the 30 day trial sub. The collectors edition people got screwed the worst not only did they pay like 100 bucks for the game, all the perks that came with it are basically garbage now especially with the server merges. I only bought the standard edition and I'm pissed. I want the extra 45 bucks I spent refunded back.

You will be back when you realize this isn't a bad thing, they always come back when they realize their assumptions were wrong due to being illiterate.

I never went back to LOTRO after it went F2P, I know for a fact I won't be back. I've done so with other games also.

Honestly, im getting sick of these people, they're raging over nothing. Not like the game will change massively, just a vanity item shop and more players. With alot more content updates.

Its not our fault that we are right.

The games going to change big time. The only reason they are keeping the sub option now is so they still have some cash flow while they test out the F2P. If the F2P doesnt work then they will close shop. If it does work then they will stop the paid sub option and make it completely F2P so you have to spend more money to play.

There will not be much if any new content that is exclusively for sub players. EA/Bioware only care about money so they are going to do what makes more money and adding in mounts or other garbage that people can spend real money on is alot easier then making OPS that they cant even get the bugs out of in 8 months.

They are giving the F2P players enough access to FPs and WZs so they can get enough tokens for BH gear etc (well just as much token as you can get).

Wonder how much HK51 is going to cost lol

I'm curious if this means it's going to be solely f2p or a "freemium" model. Very little info on this is annoying.

edit: nevermind looks like something showed. up.

WHAT???

Bioware isn't being "forthcoming" with valuable information??? ...the HELL you say...

Edited by Jaavik

Newsflash: Any MMO that is in production or has recently launched will either:

A) launch as F2P

B) Be F2P within six months to a year

It's just the way the gaming industry is now.

It's not like you're losing anything by still paying.

All you're doing is looking at the negative. How about the positives like FAST queues, more raids, a TON more world PVP and so on.

I suppose if I did any of those things, it would be a positive. I certainly like the idea of more content and possibly more customization (even if I have to buy it), but I know I'll be dealing with those other things, too.

You do realise Trotsky was much more ideologically driven than dear old Stalin, and would probably have been a greater mass murderer?

In fairness to Trotsky he was far too busy supressing the Russian anarchists and other dissident left wing groups to really get round to persecuting his own party. But I'd agree there wasn't much to choose between Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin in the blood thirsty maniac stakes.

Anyway back to F2P not good in my opinion, hopefully it won't end up as bad as LOTRO is now but I'm not holding my breath to be honest :(

Edited by AidenCast

• Dev Post
What happens to our existing characters if we go F2P Allison? Nothing is mentioned about when we down grade. What inventory slots will we keep? What access will we have?

We have some information about this in the FAQ (http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6526). Here's the question and answer for you:

What happens if I decide to change from being a subscription player to a Free-to-Play member? What will happen to my credits, inventory, bank items, and characters?

Your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access. Furthermore, you will be able to see, but not use, your excess credits, inventory slots, bank tabs, and extra characters.

Hope this helps clear it up a little!

Well I have to say I am very disappointed by this news about going free to play. Not to the fact I would give up my sub yet but I have lost a little faith in Bioware from this. Just keep those free to play ads about buying the coins off of the sub payers loading screen. I know LOTR's even sub payers have to put up with ads for buying in game items.

If it's done right and sub payers still have the same experience as now I'll stay but if it gets worse to the point we sub payers have to pay more for items and such then I'll leave.

TOR requires about as much skill as breathing does.

Yet some people still are able to do that only with their mouths... and that will be the community on each and every server once the game is free to download and play.

To be honest, I'm definitely disappointed.

Although, in my opinion, they are going about it in the right way. It looks as though subscribers will receive benefits from cartel coins, without having to pay extra (which was what i was worried about). It also looks to be fluff stuff, not top of the line gear ( I hope).

Free players will have limited access which is how it should be. If it brings more players to this game, I'm all for it!

OH AND IF THEY ACTUALLY GO WITH WHAT THEY ARE SAYING I WILL BE BEYOND EXCITED

"Over the coming months there will be more frequent Game Updates, including group content like Flashpoints, Warzones, Operations, and dynamic in-game events and more included in your subscription."

the problem is these are the exact same words they used after 1.2 so i will believe it when i see it.

We have some information about this in the FAQ (http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6526). Here's the question and answer for you:

What happens if I decide to change from being a subscription player to a Free-to-Play member? What will happen to my credits, inventory, bank items, and characters?

Your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access. Furthermore, you will be able to see, but not use, your excess credits, inventory slots, bank tabs, and extra characters.

Thank you!

And for this reason I choose subscription over free to play. Free to play nickle and dimes you with everything and you get MAYBE access to half the game.

You actually proved his point. Before everyone was on the same level above 15. Everyone could get everything. Now people with subscriptions, who are paying more money, will actually have an advantage over those who don't. And it's possible that those who pay tons of money will be on top since you don't know what the shop will entail. I hope and think BioWare is smart enough to not go do down that path but its possible.

I tell you this if the game becomes who spends the most wins I will go to GW2 so fast...

People are glossing over the fact that people with subs might be exponentially more powerful than people without. That's the exact same thing as pay to win.

People with subs are going to be more powerful than free to play? Even if that is true that just encourages more subscribers. I don't consider subs being more powerful pay to win, pay to win means you bought an Item with no work put into recieving it.

If you count pay to win as subbing and havign access to better gear than WoW is pay to win in that expansions give you more levels, better gear, more quests, more money, more flashpoints and at $60 a pop.

Point being : No overpowered gear in the 'VANITY ITEM SHOP" then there is nothing to be concerned about.

As for the GW2, its f2p as well beside the 1 time purchase, whats to say they don't add an item shop to increase revenue I mean the game isn't even out yet.

Honestly, im getting sick of these people, they're raging over nothing. Not like the game will change massively, just a vanity item shop and more players. With alot more content updates.

That's the same BS lie that Cryptic tried to sell on the CStore for STO. Before long, there will be P2W items in there, just like STO. I quit that game the second it announced it was going F2P, since P2W stuff was already in the CStore.

Actually at first I was worried about F2P. But now not so much. Yeah it's not the best situation in the world, but it could be worse honestly.

I am going to stick with it as long as I get some more dang content.

So a runescape style model, works for me :p

i love this game, i have been a 100% paying customer from day one, never have i missed renewing my monthly , and i did not get a six month plan, even when i stopped playing for 3 months i kept paying , because i think it was deserving of at least 50 cents a day as support to see where you guys took this game...

now after all this time this is what you chose to do? i feel not only disgusted and dissapointed , but also insulted, i feel the need to express my utter discontent with this decision, as expected , EA has done it yet again, and i doubt i will remain a paying subscriber for too long now.

nothing short of the announcement of legacy (paying) players-only servers , or the decision to not go F2P is very likely to make me remain a monthly subscriber

thank you bioware, and i hope you can pull it off, but i do not want to deal with the f2p gaming community , ive experienced it in other f2p games and its the reason i dont play them

:mad:

Anyone ever play the Phantasy Star Universe xbox 360 online demo? That was free, online and just awful. The community sucked, it was a market place for pr0n.

Don't end up like this star wars, Dont.