do you think with the new update that people are going to come back to SWTOR?

meierme

i just came back after about a year of not playing because i now have more time on my hands but when ever i go to a planet theirs only 10-20 people there. i enjoy the game but it makes it really boring if theirs no one to play with. so im just wondering if i should just cut my losses and find a new MMO or stick around and hope for the best.

It really depends on you honestly. Ask yourself are you having fun? If not then find something else that is enjoyable. Also keep in mind, that during different times of the day the general population is bigger or smaller.

Getting people to come (back) and try the game isn't Bioware's problem. Keeping them is where they suck.

man i think i may have made a mistake renewing my membership, if they can even keep the players they have how the hell are they going to get any one to come back?

i really do like the game, but i dont know if i can stick around to watch it fail like this.

man i think i may have made a mistake renewing my membership, if they can even keep the players they have how the hell are they going to get any one to come back?

i really do like the game, but i dont know if i can stick around to watch it fail like this.

I find the game enjoyable, and I intend to enjoy it for as long as it's still around. Or until EA screws the pooch and royally #$&%s something up.

Yeah, you should really find another mmo to play with zillions of people playing at all times of the day.

I think you would be happier.

Dude, ***? You like the game so play it! Join a guild and make friends. The Harbinger server has a decent population and finding and there are always ppl looking to quest so maybe try a different server. I don't suggest asking ppl on forums though, think for yourself and enjoy the game.

It's not failing.

If you want to see a promising MMO crash and burn, follow ESO. The developers there have their heads so far up their behinds that the game is in some serious trouble. It might even break the record of "fastest to F2P".

I just played it for the first free month and it was brutal. Constant 4-6h maintenances, unplayable lag in PvP that only started recently (was fine around launch). People freely exploiting infinite resource spawns for weeks with nothing being done. Skill lines where literally not a single passive works. Completely out of whack difficulty where monsters just get an increased hp pool and damage done across the entire zone with no testing done, resulting in certain mobs taking minutes to kill while others only seconds. Completely unkillable quest bosses because they just oneshot you with abilities that you have no way of avoiding due to lag spikes.

I could go on for a page, but that game is a mess.

Edited by Jandi

Yeah, supposedly the server I am on is almost always very busy and the most crowded of the listed ones, but when I am on a planet (past Tatooine that is, Alderaan and later), there are 8-20 people.

I'm not one of those people who has to play with others to have fun, but I do like seeing people run around.

I don't think people will come back. I subbed for 2 months about 40 days ago. I won't be subbing again, because what's the point? I'll have finished the class stories on a couple of characters and have no particular desire to repeat the planetary quests, yet won't be able to just do the class quest (without having to do KDY a bazillion times). And there's no class or companion story past 50, so no point in continue to play the characters I did finish on.

And there's not much of a community here. It's not bad, but it's like in most other MMORPGs. You have a lot of small guilds that never seem to recruit, you have a few big ones that aren't particular but are aggravating to be in. Trying to do group content in PUGs usually makes you run into the elitists (see all the complaints about bolstering) which isn't worth the frustration.

Yeah, supposedly the server I am on is almost always very busy and the most crowded of the listed ones, but when I am on a planet (past Tatooine that is, Alderaan and later), there are 8-20 people.

I'm not one of those people who has to play with others to have fun, but I do like seeing people run around.

I don't think people will come back. I subbed for 2 months about 40 days ago. I won't be subbing again, because what's the point? I'll have finished the class stories on a couple of characters and have no particular desire to repeat the planetary quests, yet won't be able to just do the class quest (without having to do KDY a bazillion times). And there's no class or companion story past 50, so no point in continue to play the characters I did finish on.

And there's not much of a community here. It's not bad, but it's like in most other MMORPGs. You have a lot of small guilds that never seem to recruit, you have a few big ones that aren't particular but are aggravating to be in. Trying to do group content in PUGs usually makes you run into the elitists (see all the complaints about bolstering) which isn't worth the frustration.

You really need to change servers...on ToFN you get at least 30 people on most planets in the evenings (just Corellia and Ilum are dead for some reason), 100+ on daily areas (minus Belsavis and Black Hole obviosuly), they are instanced all the time.

And no, I have been subbing on and off for over 2 years but never stopped playing and never got the feeling it's failing - on the contrary, it's growing in spite of all the doomsayers.

If you see "recruiting" as spamming fleet general chat with messages of "looking for players for my guild!!", then no, small guilds don't recruit. The guild I'm in is fairly small, but has grown substantially in the last few months. And that was with a lot of the original members leaving several months ago. I'm not sure about other guilds, but we tend to recruit people only after playing FPs or Ops or other content with them and seeing if they are a good fit for the guild.

As for the OP, if you want to see a lot of negativity that will reinforce your decision to leave the game, then by all means, keep reading all the posts by naysayers on the forums. You know where the majority of people who enjoy the game spend their time? Logged in to the game. The forums will always be heavily skewed towards those that don't like the game or have problems with the game, for one reason or another. And that's fine, because a lot (OK, some) of it is good, constructive criticism. However, basing your opinion of the game solely on the forum-talk is never a good thing. Pretty much every game forum is going to be the same way. There are absolutely no games out there that are perfect for every single person. Everyone likes different things, can overlook certain shortcomings, etc.

As someone else mentioned, if you really want to give the game a fair shot, join a guild, maybe try a different server to make sure the prime time lines up with your schedule, and just have fun. If you're not having fun, no amount of people telling you the game is good is going to keep you here. The opposite should be true as well, if you ARE having fun, then no amount of negative talk on the forums should dissuade you from playing.

Anyway, on planet population, yes, most planets can seem fairly bare at times. The major reason is that there's not a lot of reason to go back to planets after reaching max level. Most people hang out on fleet, and do their pvp or FP or Ops from there. If you had logged on during 2xp weekend, I guarantee the planet populations were higher, since a lot more people were running alts through story missions.

I think people are gonna do whatever people wanna do. I think we will get more players when Episode VII hits theaters and people decide they wanna play a dark jedi. Just because a small patch is on the horizon with one new item and tons of rehash and overhauls, players won't just come flocking in droves.

If you want to see a promising MMO crash and burn, follow ESO. The developers there have their heads so far up their behinds that the game is in some serious trouble. It might even break the record of "fastest to F2P".

I just played it for the first free month and it was brutal. Constant 4-6h maintenances, unplayable lag in PvP that only started recently (was fine around launch). People freely exploiting infinite resource spawns for weeks with nothing being done. Skill lines where literally not a single passive works. Completely out of whack difficulty where monsters just get an increased hp pool and damage done across the entire zone with no testing done, resulting in certain mobs taking minutes to kill while others only seconds. Completely unkillable quest bosses because they just oneshot you with abilities that you have no way of avoiding due to lag spikes.

yeah i played it for the first month and after i couldn't progress because of bugged missions i stopped playing. i actually cancelled my membership there to renew this one.

Greetings,

Personally I love this game, I'm playing on ''The Progenitor'' server and around 18:00 (GMT), there's a lot of people playing so I have no complains about population, I suggest you to play your subscribed time and see what you feel afterwards...

May the Force be with you!.

i just came back after about a year of not playing because i now have more time on my hands but when ever i go to a planet theirs only 10-20 people there. i enjoy the game but it makes it really boring if theirs no one to play with. so im just wondering if i should just cut my losses and find a new MMO or stick around and hope for the best.

This is not just an issue for SWTOR but for any MMO 2+ years into its lifespan.

When I first started World of Warcraft is was about 2 years in and I felt like I was the only person questing and levelling up, I just never saw more than one or two players at a time and trying to get into a dungeon was a complete no go.

The main player base are all at end game enjoying the Operations or Ranked Warzones on their main characters, and in SWTOR you don't have to spend too much down time earning credits or crafting potions. Some will go level up alts when they are not doing that, others just turn up for the guild stuff. The last guild I was in had on average 4-8 people on at most times, on an OPs night it went up to three 8 man OPs teams plus the regulars, new content would see everyone and theor dog turn up with 60ish online at once.

I would advise at least getting one character to max level and seeing how you find the end game.

Although, I've just levelled up on my Jedi Knight and have yet to see a planet running a single phase at peak times.

Edited by Vhaegrant

You said that your main focus has been class stories, and it seems you have no interest in end game. Most people end up in guilds either through starter planets, random interaction in FPs, or through running end game Ops and asking to join or being invited along. Sometimes you have to put yourself out there. On top of that, every server on here has a guild recruitment forum. If you truly want to be in a guild, you'll take the time to find one you like. Do you really just want to join up with any that spams on fleet?

as of right now, SWTOR is one of those games where you (subjective, generic) find interest for a month then take 3-6 months of a break, come back and see the same ops. Take another 6 month break, come back and see the same ops.

How in the world is any supposed to give you a legitimate answer to this? No one can predict the future or how many players will join the game or return to the game or stay playing the game or leave the game. Not sure what server you're playing on, but The Harbinger never has any shortage of players. I'm assuming you're aware of planet instances. If not, then you should check the instance when you arrive on a planet and always switch to Instance 1 if you're worried about finding players because you may just be zoning into a lower pop instance of the planet. Honestly, though, there are many players who don't group up for leveling on planets so the raw number of players on a planet is pretty useless info. If a lot of players don't group up for planet leveling, then they won't do you much good whether they are there or not.

In the end, you either enjoy playing the game or you don't. That's not a question for anyone else to answer for you or tell you what you think. It's up to you and, if you don't enjoy playing the game, then move on. Frankly, the fact that you're unsure about whether you enjoy the game enough to even solicit opinions as to what you should do is pretty telling. Seeking validation of either route on the forums is pointless. You should make up your own mind.

+1

This is why companies need long alpha and beta tests. Real testing not another way to pre-sell the game.

as of right now, SWTOR is one of those games where you (subjective, generic) find interest for a month then take 3-6 months of a break, come back and see the same ops. Take another 6 month break, come back and see the same ops.

That is indeed the actual issue with TOR.

Maybe extend the interested for a couple more months but you get the picture.

• First for most of the SW fans the game does not feels that much SWzy and it can even become a very big issue for the geeks.
  • Then too often the side quests content is pretty much boring (especially if you level alternate characters) or totally off depending on what character you play.
  • The Class quest are sadly much like rinse and repeat on each planet.
  • The Companion system is a nice concept on paper poorly implemented, from lack of customization to mandatory companions roles.
  • Too many pieces of gear looks totally non SW and break the immersion
  • Many interactions with the game are tedious, mailing, managing mods, traveling, using maps and so on
  • The game offers less character and gear customization than most MMO out there
  • World PvP is nonexistent and instanced one is a Stun and Gank fest.
  • PVE space sim is getting boring very fast.
  • PvP space sim is designed totally off the PvE one and not as good as former games.
  • Crafting is a click/roll/wait process and takes huge bank space, in the end not really worth it.
  • Finally the Cartel Market is lottery coupled with a rip off (ex: over $10 for a gear dye!)

Seems to me you come, play your class story then leave.

Edited by Deewe

• First for most of the SW fans the game does not feels that much SWzy and it can even become a very big issue for the geeks.
  • Then too often the side quests content is pretty much boring (especially if you level alternate characters) or totally off depending on what character you play.
  • The Companion system is a nice concept on paper poorly implemented, from lack of customization to mandatory companions roles.
  • Many interactions with the game are tedious, mailing, managing mods, traveling, using maps and so on
  • PvP space sim is designed totally off the PvE one and not as good as former games.
  • Crafting is a click/roll/wait process and takes huge bank space, in the end not really worth it.
  • Finally the Cartel Market is lottery coupled with a rip off (ex: over $10 for a gear dye!)

this right here.

and its why people wont be coming back to tor when we have awesome titles like wildstar coming out.

I'm sorry but I am a SW fan and I thin your entire list is completely off base because I think this game is very much in tune with SW mythos. So while I respect your opinion please do not speak for me or anyone else. The game may have a lottery but it is up to you if whether you want to participate in it or not.

Oh and the gear does not break immersion as you can dress up your characters in any look you wish so how is that immersion breaking? Finally, I am a raider and have multiple 55's and lowbies so no it is not a question of logging in playing my class and leaving it is either log in play class pvp or log in play class or raid.

I'm sorry but I am a SW fan and I thin your entire list is completely off base because I think this game is very much in tune with SW mythos. So while I respect your opinion please do not speak for me or anyone else. The game may have a lottery but it is up to you if whether you want to participate in it or not.

Oh and the gear does not break immersion as you can dress up your characters in any look you wish so how is that immersion breaking? Finally, I am a raider and have multiple 55's and lowbies so no it is not a question of logging in playing my class and leaving it is either log in play class pvp or log in play class or raid.

Well to be honest, after having a nice supper, I was about to edit my post replacing it with a "insert useless rant here" but o well..

Speaking of the gear the issues does not lies in how, as a player, I gear my character but how others and the designers dress what can one see in game.

Anyway, game is somehow fun as long, as you don't consider it to be set in a SW setting.

That is obviously a biased statement.

Edited by Deewe

this right here.

and its why people wont be coming back to tor when we have awesome titles like wildstar coming out.

People have been saying things like that since Guild Wars 2 came out. With the mixed reception WildStar is getting, I'm not even sure why you have decided that WS shall be the next bullet headed in SWTOR's direction.

Anyway, whether or not people come back is entirely dependent on the opinion of the individual person. This is true for any update in any game, really.