State of the Game #3

CourtneyWoods

Matthew: Well we’re committed to: about every six weeks, doing a major update for the game — which would be a new Warzone, a new Operation, a new Flashpoint, a new event — and to doing that on a really frequent cadence, every six weeks. So we’re going to stick to that.
(Link)

SIX......not eight.

Edited by TUXs

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This all seems great and everything but one thing that i have noticed as well as a lot of my friends, is that we can not play half the time thanks to server overload and LAG almost 6 hours a day i can not log into my main server thanks to so much overload, and if i manage to get into my server its so laggy that i can not even go into combat period, if i do i can not react at all i LOVE the game but this killer, absolutely love all the new content and i really do like the game i just wish that i could enjoy it more and play withoutt the frustration of lag.

"And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!) using Cartel Coins. Look for it in early summer."

I don't see anywhere that says it's in the Cartel Market. It's just going to cost Cartel Coins, which most of us get already for being a Sub. Could we all at least WAIT until they announce more before we start getting mad for no reason?

o.k three things.

1: If they do it from a vendor but still use cartel coins not really a big difference

2: It will still cost people real money, yes people get a free CC stipend etc etc

3: what current game mechanic see's you using Cartel coins in anything other than the Cartel Market, after all that is what they are for.

I will be the first to admit as long as they dont go crazy overboard with how much certain changes cost you in CC's it might make things a little easier, but at the end of the day it is my belief and my opinion that it should be a core game system that shouldn't exceed the cost of your subscription to use, if the changes are price right to fall within the free stipend of CC's all the better.

ad who's getting mad ? just trying to have a discussion :cool:

Edited by rykiana-ferina

No, it wasn't. It was 6. They said they were going to commit to 6 weeks. If they need 8, I'm fine with that, but I want them aiming for 6. If they aim for 8, does that mean 10 becomes their "wiggle room"?

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/29/swtor-patch-1-6-livestream-qa-transcript/

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/22517-bioware-livestream-q-a-coverage

Tell me where it says "6 Weeks" and not 6-8 weeks.

(I can not believe I had to look for these...)

Jeff Hickman: In fact, our major focus after Rise of the Hutt Cartel launches is going to be on "quality of life" improvements. We will keep at it, I promise. We’ll keep listening to your feedback and continue to dedicate ourselves to making the game the best it can be. Nothing is more important to us than getting it right.

Well Mr. Hickman, the last time you all introduced "quality of life" improvements you effectively "decreased" my "quality of life" with your "graphics improvements" in 1.4. I would rather you all NOT work on quality of life improvements. :rolleyes:

One QoL change I'm hoping they'll consider is a restructuring of ship boarding/take-off/landing. This wouldn't really affect gameplay but would reduce unnecessary loading screens AND make the player feel more in control of his shipboard experience.

Here's the suggestion:

1) SHIP STAYS IN HANGER UPON BOARDING

Ship interiors are already instanced. It becomes problematic to board your ship, deal with the take-off animation, then deal with "space" loading -- especially when some missions require you to use your holo-terminal and then immediately disembark back to the planet you just left, including dealing with landing animation and the arduous re-loading of the planet.

The hanger interior already exists, so this wouldn't require new art assets. It would make it MUCH simpler to deal with any on-board mission requirements (that don't require travel to another system) plus conversations with companions.

From an RP standpoint, the ship shouldn't automatically take-off on auto-pilot just because I walk in the door.

2) PLAYER MUST MANUALLY LAUNCH THE SHIP FROM THE COCKPIT

This way the ship will stay in dock/hanger until the player wants to leave.

The transition can be handled one of two ways - either the player activates take-off from the cockpit, the animation plays and orbital space loads (the way it does now) OR the player sets course from the cockpit, the take-off animation plays, orbital space loads up then immediately plays the hyperspace animation that transitions to the orbit around the destination planet.

Holo-terminal calls could either take place now or wait until the player has landed the ship in dock or planetary hanger.

3) PLAYER MANUALLY LANDS THE SHIP FROM THE COCKPIT

The landing animation would play as normal, followed by the usual planet loading. The difference is that the ship doesn't auto-land while the player stands idly at the door.

After loading, the player would still be in their cockpit with the hanger/dock viewable through the window. The player could then perform whatever shipboard functions he chooses before going to the door and disembarking.

Not only would this QoL change make more sense from an RP standpoint (which is part of the gameplay) but also avoid the inconvenience of unnecessary load times - especially in circumstances where the player has forgotten to use the holoterminal before leaving the ship and then has to deal with double load times when going back inside because of the auto take-off.

Bioware please employ this person, Great Ideas :D

Any chance that older cartel packs will include the reputation tokens ?

Currently nobody buys the older cartel packs, Malak gear outfit is filling the GTN while Despot, Revan, Phantom etc outfits dwindles.

Seems a bad idea to include the reputation tokens in just ONE pack, dont you think ?

That's the point. They're increasing the value and rarity of the old items as they remove the packs. They will be removing shipment one packs soon anyway.

And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!) using Cartel Coins. Look for it in early summer.

Wow... so the people who have been here since day 1 and have been "stuck" with their current look they will be shafted?

Here's a suggestion, everyone with 6 months of playtime get 1 free customization for that toon.

Holy crap! Sorry for the double post but I went back and read all the responses in this thread complaining about the barbershop feature only being available on the CM.

Based on what I've read, I have come to the conclusion that the vast majority of you are completely new to F2P MMOs. Because I also play DCUO and Tera and have dabbled in LOTRO. And pretty much any character customization you want you have to purchase from the in-game store.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending it, just saying this is standard practice. Do you guys not play other MMOs?

I came here from Everquest II after playing there for almost 9 years. I still play there on occaision. SOE pretty much has set the standard for games and the FTP model over the last couple of years and Everquest II allows you to do a full body remake ( face, hair, colors, size, etc ) for in game currency and they always have. It costs a little over 1 gold piece, very trivial considering the in game economy. They do charge for a race change though via the station store ( same thing as our cartel market here).

I would be completely in favor of Bioware charging us for a species change, especially if they are planning on releasing more species in the future. As far as just using a "barber shop" feature to change hair style or eye color I would rather see that done with in game currency. They could add a beautician NPC to be placed around the various planets, on fleet, or even as a ship companion.

I'm happy about the re-customization features coming, but damn that read was uninspiring.

No mention of any new content? Just a focus on quality of life?

And the 6 week content update was suddenly changed to an 8 week? Without any mention as to why? Just acting like that's the way it's been since it was announced...

We know that there are still a lot of things we need to do to make playing Star Wars: The Old Republic the best experience it can be. We hear you on features such as hood toggle (as one example of many), Asia Pacific server populations (we are actively looking into solutions that make the most sense given our current tech and should have an announcement soon.

Thank you Mr. Hickman! :')

I wonder if the new re-customization will allow us to sport new hairstyles, scars and faces!

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I'm happy about the re-customization features coming, but damn that read was uninspiring.

No mention of any new content? Just a focus on quality of life?

And the 6 week content update was suddenly changed to an 8 week? Without any mention as to why? Just acting like that's the way it's been since it was announced...

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/29/swtor-pa...qa-transcript/

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/s...m-q-a-coverage

It was more of "6-8 weeks" and not just 6 weeks.

"We are hitting our 6-8 content release schedule pretty good. There will be a 9 week window between the game update (1.6) landing before the holidays and the update after the holidays (1.7) since we want to give our guys the holiday off since they were all here last year. We will aim for 6 weeks but will go for 8 weeks for quality issues etc."

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/29/swtor-patch-1-6-livestream-qa-transcript/

Customizing your character (post - rolling) is pretty cool but I don't think they should charge cartel coins for it. It seems they're really pushing everything with cartel coins which is ok but prices are expensive. I think they should push the cartel market just a little less with the current prices in the sense that they should lower prices or add more defining things rather than just cosmetics. Give us something that really gives us an edge, something really worth our money. I'm already paying $15 a month so I don't need to buy weekly passes or anything but I do like to buy stuff like XP boosts or the cartel rep stuff. Those are good, because they progress you through the game like better gear and more items. Cartel coins for legacy perks is good though, that's cool. Something cool would be paying cartel coins for the ability to do a long quest chain that leads to a really great item that will change gameplay like rocket boots that can be used in PVP; something that really changes the game...not just a speeder with camo on it or a pet that follows you around. Although, a speeder that's faster than any other speeder and only in the cartel market, that would be good. Once again, just make more useful things sold in the Cartel Market. Overall, I think Bioware is on the right track. Keep improving the game and I'll keep playing. :)

I think generally that's a bad idea, and it's stuff like that that has killed other F2P mmo's for me when I went in (and it killed WOW), luckily it's not a pit they've fallen into...yet. Some of the ideas are good like faster speeders, but they shouldn't offer anything like super good gear because that would have a huge negative impact on game balance. If you let really good items be sold on a public market like that for real money you're giving an unfair advantage to a certain demographic of players. The very thing that ruined WOW for me and made it super casual. MMO's are about community and character progression and I firmly believe you should have to work for gear, otherwise it turns into a boring easy mode button masher like WOW has become.

we were starting to lose subscribers and players were growing frustrated. In fairness, many of the complaints and worries were justified..

At the end of the summer, we announced that were going to make the game more enjoyable than ever before

This is exactly why I hate the way you communicate. You do recognize the game was crap, but you claim right after that it's gonna be more "awsome" than ever before. Absurd communication. Just try to be humble and say : "We are working as hard as we can to learn from our mistakes and we're gonna give you the best we can." We and only we have the right to say the game is awsome or enjoyable. You can not congratulate yourself. Just don't.

player feedback, in general, has been very positive about the new things in the game.

At first i laughed. Can I see you statistics, seriously? Or did you remove every negative feedback? We are not reading the same forum.

And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!) using Cartel Coins. Look for it in early summer.

Can you tell me why I am paying a subscription?

STOP making content subscribers have to pay for ON TOP of their subscription fee. We are NOT getting our money's worth!

Agreed. We're all probably better off unsubscribing tbh, since a subscription is now worthless.

Sad to see no mention of PvP updates anywhere.

:(

What do you mean? The new "revamped" Ilum was our content for the year...they want "organic" PvP...what we have is what we were told would be our final update of 2013...except for potentially a new WZ or 2.