Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

This is a good point. Partial information that gets the community at each others' throats is never good. But neither is assuming things that aren't explicitly stated.

Again with the insults. Why? Completely unnecessary. How is stating that assumptions made here are largely baseless in any way, whatsoever, failing to understand the actual concerns?

Because concerns != baseless assumptions.

Nothing I've said is baseless everything I've said comes directly from their very own Posting. Its not my fault you fail to comprehend everything thats been said. I'm not trying to be insulting merely stating the truth from everything you've said you've entirely missed the point of why people are angry.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently there are multiple issues, other than just my own, with the otherwise welcome and indeed quite anticipated character transfers as they are planned now. At least:

• The guild issues
  • The name issues
  • Consolidation of characters -issues
  • The server type -issue. Especially RP-PVP.
  • Legacy issues
  • Grouping friends from several servers -issue

I think the character transfer not working out will be a rather big issue for SWTOR going forward. I certainly have made my mind unless BW changes their plans very soon. It is a shame if they can't see reason as there are solutions to these issues.

I can immediately see at least:

Consolidation of characters should be a no brainer. If BW were simply to allow people to choose from all of their characters - up to 8 of course - to be moved to a server they have characters eligible to be moved, problem would be solved. This would not mess up with their plans, since none of us can play on more than one server at a time anyway. :) Bioware really owes this to us too, for suggesting that we reroll on higher population servers while we wait, anyway. The whole problem is largely the result of their earlier solution. There should be no restrictions of server types between the characters of a single player.

RP-PVP issue really shouldn't be an issue anyway. Making it one is mind boggling. There is just one RP-PVP server for each language in Europe anyway and none of those servers are even medium loaded. Simply let people choose either RP-PVE or PVP server. Choice of two would be enough.

Its completely unequal treatment that only one portion of the community is gaurenteed to get a free transfer. Please learn to read.

It's impossible to satisfy everyone as we've all seen on numerous issues. So they have to satisfy the vast majority of players. You are in the minority and so you will have to deal with it. That's life.

They're restricting the first-round of free transfers to same SERVER TYPE because that makes the most sense and satisfies the vast majority of players. Only a very small portion would decide to change server types 6 months after launch and have this affect them.

To most people this system is done correctly. Sorry, if you don't like it.

You are mistaken. What if people have their own characters on a different types of servers? What exactly is the benefit of this restriction, anyway? It does nothing but annoy the people it affects. A thing I think we can at least agree that BW can't afford at the current situation.

You are mistaken. What if people have their own characters on a different types of servers? What exactly is the benefit of this restriction, anyway? It does nothing but annoy the people it affects. A thing I think we can at least agree that BW can't afford at the current situation.

It may be a technical reason rather than a philosophical one.

It affects very few. :rolleyes:

Its completely unequal treatment that only one portion of the community is gaurenteed to get a free transfer. Please learn to read.

There only doing server transfers to boost population not to accommodate someone who chose to to play on a server type they no longer like. So if you want to change server types you do the same thing everyone will have to do, pay to transfer servers or start new characters on the server type you want and please suck it up since you made the bad decision to get on a server type you don't like anymore.

To most people this system is done correctly. Sorry, if you don't like it.

And no, "most" people are not happy with the transfers just as they are. Most are probably not as POed about it as me and some others here, but plenty keep asking for a change here or there. Whether it be pre-launch servers as destination servers, server type changes, guild moves, multiple server/character transfers, or all out free transfers, "most" people want a little flexibility. Unfortunately Bioware isn't being even the slightest flexible.

And how long have some people been stuck on dead servers? 1.1.5? 1.1.4? Even earlier? I remember the quiet pleas of some subscribers for server transfers months ago because they could never get into a single queued PvP match within their 4-hour gameplay sessions.

Yes, it has been that bad for some.

So now that free transfers are finally here, they're extremely limited and putting all of the work on us to handle guilds and still be unable to consolidate our characters across multiple servers.

Edited by Qishari
removed rude comment

It's impossible to satisfy everyone as we've all seen on numerous issues. So they have to satisfy the vast majority of players. You are in the minority and so you will have to deal with it. That's life.

This. I agree. Though transferring issues are not my concern as I'm not transferring but there will be no way any company can please everyone at the same time. You can have 5 differnt opinions on the same topic so finding a middle ground can be difficult for any company, not just bioware.

This. I agree. Though transferring issues are not my concern as I'm not transferring but there will be no way any company can please everyone at the same time. You can have 5 differnt opinions on the same topic so finding a middle ground can be difficult for any company, not just bioware.

I think this would probably please 99% of the people...

Free transfers of any character and any guild to any server, limit once a week for each character.

Guild moved automatically if desired.

And yes, it's being done right now in Rift: http://www.riftgame.com/en/community/character-transfer.php

I think you're confusing the word "most" with "fanboy" or "easily swayed". :p

And no, "most" people are not happy with the transfers just as they are. Most are probably not as POed about it as me and some others here, but plenty keep asking for a change here or there. Whether it be pre-launch servers as destination servers, server type changes, guild moves, multiple server/character transfers, or all out free transfers, "most" people want a little flexibility. Unfortunately Bioware isn't being even the slightest flexible.

And how long have some people been stuck on dead servers? 1.1.5? 1.1.4? Even earlier? I remember the quiet pleas of some subscribers for server transfers months ago because they could never get into a single queued PvP match within their 4-hour gameplay sessions.

Yes, it has been that bad for some.

So now that free transfers are finally here, they're extremely limited and putting all of the work on us to handle guilds and still be unable to consolidate our characters across multiple servers.

They're being as flexible as they can be at the moment. They have to direct the flow of players strictly during the first-round or our population issues will not get any better.

If everyone was allowed to choose whatever server they wanted 90% would want to move to "The Fatman", including myself. But that would be a terrible idea. And so we have to have restrictions.

They're being as flexible as they can be at the moment. They have to direct the flow of players strictly during the first-round or our population issues will not get any better.

If everyone was allowed to choose whatever server they wanted 90% would want to move to "The Fatman", including myself. But that would be a terrible idea. And so we have to have restrictions.

Will this stop all the lag or add more lag.

I sit back and read all this and I just cant help but to lol... everyone complaining about how they cant move their 8 servers worth of toons onto one server and how the server type they or the system selected for them is not a good one well you have had 6 months to fix that and choose your server type you want and its not BW's fault for you have toons across several servers so SUCK IT UP and deal with whats going on now you dont like it deal with it most of us just want on a server with people not a server with only 10 people on fleet at all time... sorry that BW is not letting you move you toons to one server or select the server type you want if you dont like it quit otherwise SUCK IT UP! Edited by Buche

Okay, at this point, I have to clarify to make sure we're still talking about the same thing. The first post of our discussion is me quoting specifically about the RP-PvP servers. Not guilds, not Legacy names, etc.

Here's what they said:

Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process.

What does that mean? Scenario:

The first thing is to combine RP-PvP with RP-PvP. Observe population levels. Not good enough? Move to step 2 of phase 1:

Open up origin servers to include one or two RP-PvE servers. That, in itself, would probably take care of it, but for the sake of argument, let's say it doesn't. Move to step 3 of phase 1:

Open up origin servers to include one or two PvP servers until the RP-PvP server(s) are adequately populated.

Nothing any mod has said precludes this possibility. There is more indication that this will be the case than not, simply because of what I quoted above.

Edited by Qishari
quoted removed content

Okay, at this point, I have to clarify to make sure we're still talking about the same thing. The first post of our discussion is me quoting specifically about the RP-PvP servers. Not guilds, not Legacy names, etc.

Here's what they said:

What does that mean? Scenario:

The first thing is to combine RP-PvP with RP-PvP. Observe population levels. Not good enough? Move to step 2 of phase 1:

Open up origin servers to include one or two RP-PvE servers. That, in itself, would probably take care of it, but for the sake of argument, let's say it doesn't. Move to step 3 of phase 1:

Open up origin servers to include one or two PvP servers until the RP-PvP server(s) are adequately populated.

Nothing any mod has said precludes this possibility. There is more indication that this will be the case than not, simply because of what I quoted above.

I get what he means, They are going to keep the same sever names.

.. and its not BW's fault for you have toons across several servers so SUCK IT UP and deal ... SUCK IT UP!

Nice post mate! I just want to point out that it, indeed, is Bioware's fault that people have characters on different servers. After all, they did tell us to roll on a higher pop server while we wait for this character transfer. Also, I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen anyone asking for extra character slots here.

Can you deal with these facts? Or do you have to suck them up? :)

Nice post mate! I just want to point out that it, indeed, is Bioware's fault that people have characters on different servers. After all, they did tell us to roll on a higher pop server while we wait for this character transfer. Also, I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen anyone asking for extra character slots here.

Can you deal with these facts? Or do you have to suck them up? :)

did they hold a gun to your head and make you re-roll? no, your choice you didnt have to

Really? Why? You never questioned that did you? It seems people at TRION have no problem allowing for free server transfers to wherever people want to go, for whatever characters they want to move. Rift has the same type of server layout: a bunch of "worlds" which use to have their own population issues as well. Now that is changing.

If you let people go wherever they want, multiple transfers, but limited by time, they'll eventually reach an environment where they're content or even happy. Some want to be in a place where the server is packed. Some want activity, but not sitting around an open world waiting for others to finish their quest first. And yet others want just enough to do some PUGs. And of course some people are happy on isolated servers since they do only PvE solo content.

You can't possibly tell me that choice is harmful to people's gaming. You either won't have a straight face when you say it, or you're lying to me and/or yourself.

Edited by cipher_nemo

Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.

Thats a really big mistake. I admire your attempts to maintain server types, but speaking about RP-PvP servers: we have only ONE english speaking RP-PvP in EU and its light-populated. We have no possibility to improve the situation if you won't allow us to transfer to other server types or players from other server types transfer to us. Please think about it, because its really unfair, if we 'd have no possibility to have a good game experience(on high-populated servers), while everybody else will.:(

Edited by DimaDelete

Thats a really big mistake. I admire your attempts to maintain server types, but speaking about RP-PvP servers: we have only ONE english speaking RP-PvP in EU and its light-populated. We have no possibility to improve the situation if you won't allow us to transfer to other server types or players from other server types transfer to us. Please think about it, because its really unfair, if we 'd have no possibility to have a good game experience(on high-populated servers), while everybody else will.:(

Why do you think it is mate.:)

did they hold a gun to your head and make you re-roll? no, your choice you didnt have to

They held a metaphorical gun to our heads called a monthly payment, if we wanted our moneys worth we may of had to reroll.

No, I can't say that they did hold a gun to my head. They did, as a service provider, give me this advice though. Obviously as services go, there is the obvious thing to do, which I have follwoed. However, I quite like the game, so I am looking for solutions. When all is said and done, I do think mine are better than your "suck it up" as far as Bioware and their customers are concerned. You are of course free to disagree.

Thanks for the update.

I do have a question. Is the naming prioritization ONLY based on whether there is an existing legacy/character? Because I don't think it is fair to ask subscribing players to rename their characters for inactive accounts.

There should be at minimum prioritization for active players. If the inactive player decides to resubcribe, they can change their name instead.

Please let us know if this is being taken into consideration.

Thank you.

this.