Hardest class to play.

Neptune

I started as a Sith Sorcerer. Made it to level 13 before I became entirely bored with the class and its mechanic.

Now I play Sniper. I absolutely love the class, but it would be difficult to imagine a harder class to play. Zero heals. High DPS, but energy management to keep it in check. Crowd control that is spotty at best. Cover, has to be one of the quirkiest ability mechanics I've seen yet in an MMO. Couple that with low armor and you really need to be on your game in all situations.

PVE is fairly similar, we can do great damage, but are super squishy and have few solutions to those "oh crap" moments.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys are kidding right? scoundrel/op is the easiest class ever. 50 scoundrel here, maybe its so easy because they are op by far but all i have to do is chainstun and backblast suckerpunch and my target is dead its so damn easy.

Well you dont play the same scoundrel as many of us.

31/3/7 Sawbones here.

Energy management, watching upperhands, cooldowns, debuffs, triaging, interupts, trying not to be interupted, energy management, having to be in melee range to cc... but you dont want to be in melee range of some classes for long, kiting... trying to close gap on ranged who knockback.., fine line of energy management, cant dps or heal too much. Oh yeah and if in a group, make sure you manage your energy to heal other people.

I have 36+ buttons i use regularly

most of peopel say sentinel/marauder because its

#1 what everyone else says on the forum so they go with the flow without having an opinion

#2 the only class they played fully (over lvl20)

I dont really think they are hard to play, the rotation is pretty straight forward if you read your talent carefully but i do agree that you need to press more skills on the bar compared to one or two classes. Their difficulty is because the class survivability. You need to burn the mobs/players before it/he/she burn you.

I cant really say for the hardest , they all got a small challenge but nothing is truly hard

Powertech/Vanguard pyrotech: You really need to watch your heat/ammo when you first get incendiary missile. I screwed myself countless time with this tool until i learned about patience.

Ops/Scoundrel healing : it was not tricky but frustrating for me to heal with that class at first. I wasnt specced for it so it really didnt help my case but you need to learn your mecanic good. You need to accept the fact that someone will perhaps die because you dont want to nerf your regen. You need to carefully watch for your upper hand buff and it can be a headache sometime to play that compared to a sage/sorc healer

Guardian/Juggernaut tank : Alot of people seem to have a problem with this but wow vanilla warrior are surely fine... i am. The knight tank have problems with AOE threat because of a lack of tools (even for range threat) So you need to do alot of running around and tab targetting to ensure that you got aggro on everything. It is doable but you need to put double the effort of a Vanguard for a crappy result. Now about pvp... until you are 50 and geared, this AC tank is terrible at pvp. Low damage, bad survivability up to 40 (compared to the other). Once again, people too look good or because they think so will say " but i play a knight and im fine! " ... then go play something else, youll see what you are missing on.

Shadow/Assassin deception spec : It can be a tad hard to solo quest around 30 or to pvp at higher level with this spec now that you cant be in tanking mode. It is doable, you can rack up the kill count if you are smart but you go down quite fast... and your tank pet too

Gunslinger/sniper : It is not hard but you need to learn to not be greedy and chase someone with those character. You are meant to be a stationary turret. You can deal incredible damage but you need to watch yourself, mostly in pvp. For me they are more of a free kill when i see one but an intelligent one can give me trouble.

Here is a list of what I (my personal opinion) find that can pose a challenge to a player, not necesseraly what i find challenging.

Edited by Wrathoran

MM Sniper the Most.

No heals, Defensives CD's are complete garbage, No stealth, 1 Knockback which requires cover and doesnt always work.

-Cover system

-Hardest energy management in the game.

Requires strategy because of the LOS problems...

Mostly White Damage which can be dodged/deflected..

Long changeling abilities.

Requires 4 quickslot filled with abilites to play....

Edited by DestyOwn

I find the gunslinger to be a pain in the butt for PVE. So few of my abilities work when I'm not in cover that I always have to be in cover. Unless I'm behind natural cover. I'm very squishy. Most cut screens dump you into combat just standing five feet from the enemy, often with no natural cover to be found. And once I hit the 30's I started encountering more and more enemies that can knock me out of cover with various different methods. Having the range is nice, and I'm sure that part of the sentinel/marauder is a pain. But given that the gunslinger really only works in cover, and that cover is scarve and easy to be knocked out of I don't really see how the sentinel could be much worse. I've played a Guardian to 25 and I think mechanics wise its much easier then the gunslinger. Are the mechanics so different between the guardian and the sentinel?

Lastly, I'll say that as a gunslinger I literally don't have enough slots on the two lower bars for all my abilities. With 20 abilities that I keep track of it just becomes annoying. I think this is by far the lesser of my issues with the gunslinger.

I've recently started an operative healer, and while I'm only level 16 I so far find the experience to be significantly less tricky than the gun slinger. We'll have to see how that holds up as more abilities get added to my bar.

• 4 months later...
I'm a 17 Sentinel and I agree... so far anyway. So many buttons to push. My Bounty Hunter simply pushes 1 button every 2-3 pulls, Death from Above, all dead. And 1 of those in between pulls is Fusion Missile + Explosive Dart + Mop up.

No such I-Win Buttons for my Sentinel. I don't think I care though.

Yup i think the same thing. Only problem with your post is that your a bh and im a commando...rival!

There isn't really a hard class to play. My two mains are a 50 sniper and 50 scoundrel and they're not hard to play at all. In PvP, I can take down someone with my sniper(not even full BM) in 4-5 shots without heals while scoundrel healing is really simple with only a few heals available. Once you choose an advanced class and get used to the play style of the class then there shouldn't be any problems.

I would probably say Guardian/Juggernaut Tanking or Gunslinger/Sniper. I've played both of these (Jugg 50) as well as PT, Sorc, Commando, and Operative extensively, but not to 50 yet. PT and Commando DPS are easy, Sorc DPS is a bit harder with less armor, and Operative Healer is getting better, but figuring out how to survive longer.

There really isn't much of a rotation for the tanking Guardians/Juggs in PvP, it's a lot of thinking on your feet and actually knowing the class to know exactly what you need to do to survive and help your teammates survive. In PvE it's a little easier, but still hard with AOE and taking care of range enemies. Everyone says you should take all DPS gear for the Guardians/Juggs in PvP even if they are tanked specced, but if you actually know what your doing, which a lot of people don't, you are a true force in the warzones.

The Gunslinger/Sniper from what I've seen and tried so far, have the hardest mechanics to deal with, mainly cover. The resource management is sometimes and issue, but with a good player, it is easily a non-factor. I'm still trying out my Gunslinger and figuring it out more and more, but that's all I got for now.

Edited by BanetheDarkLord

Personally, I found the Smuggler the Hardest. Not only is it on the more complicated side of skillsets, but you also get only Tank Companions until after Chapter 1. A lot of people seem to fizzle out because lugging along the deadweight of Corso or Bowdaar for the first 30+ levels is just a bit more of a headache than it's worth.

Making a new thread based off similiar to Best class for beginners. This is a question asked for your honest opinion or experience so please answer truthfully of what you think is the hardest class to play.

My opinion is Sentinel and Marauders. They're hard to catch up when the skills keep showing up. You had to focus.

Marauders are incredibly simple to play. They're highly mobile, do great damage, and have a really straightforward resource mechanic.

My vote for hardest to play is the DPS Operative, by a mile. First of all, all Operatives have the Tactical Advantage mechanic, which amounts to a secondary resource system which requires constant maintenance, in addition to the already hard to manage energy mechanic. You have to keep your TA stack up. You have to keep stim boost up. You have to make sure you don't go below 60 energy, unless you're going to use Adrenaline Probe. You've got to keep your best abilities on cooldown. You've got to keep maximum time on target, and you still have to pay attention to the fight mechanics. I'm a 10 year MMO veteran back from EQ, a main-tanking warrior from a WoW raiding guild. I can handle complex gameplay. But the melee operative is such a mess, I had to give it up for a bad job.

Edited by Canis_Anubis

Marauders / Sentinels, no contest.

I personally feel marauders are one of the easiest classes to play. I would say with 1.3, shadow tanks are one of the most difficult to play. I say this because Shadows/Assassins don't have much going for them that helps them tank. They wear light armor, their self heals are useless, their armor boost from their tank ability was nerfed. Really, the only advantage they have over any other tank, is that they hit harder.

Not saying they are no longer good tanks, just saying they are class that requires more skill.

Edited by cool-dude

I have a 50 jugg and 27 scoundrel. The jugg is by far harder to play. They have way too many situational abilities. A macro system like in Rift would really improve the class.

I spend more time staring at the cooldowns on my hotbar than the actual fight.

I think abilities like Retaliation are not thought out well since they force you to constantly look at your ability bars waiting for it to activate. I switched to a vengeance spec and dropped the ability completely and it made the class much more fun to play as it allowed me to spend more time focusing on the fight rather than ability procs. Waiting for ability cool downs is not such an issue since you get a good feel for them after a while.

Edited by mahnmut

Making a new thread based off similiar to Best class for beginners. This is a question asked for your honest opinion or experience so please answer truthfully of what you think is the hardest class to play.

My opinion is Sentinel and Marauders. They're hard to catch up when the skills keep showing up. You had to focus.

This has been asked several times in the past.

The general consensus was Marauders and Snipers (and their Republic counterparts) were the most "difficult" mainly due to their high number of different and situational abilities.

From my experience playing both a Marauder and Gunslinger - the Marauder is easier for new players, but gets a bit more complex as you level. Not by alot though - its still pretty faceroll at 50. Gunslinger on the other hand, starts off pretty random in terms of rotation, but slowly gets more complicated - particular when it comes to resource management. The key, it seems to me, is not going all out, but carefully decide when to go a full circle rotation and then wait again (otherwise you just spam Flurry).

From my experience playing both a Marauder and Gunslinger - the Marauder is easier for new players, but gets a bit more complex as you level. Not by alot though - its still pretty faceroll at 50. Gunslinger on the other hand, starts off pretty random in terms of rotation, but slowly gets more complicated - particular when it comes to resource management. The key, it seems to me, is not going all out, but carefully decide when to go a full circle rotation and then wait again (otherwise you just spam Flurry).

I think resource management on sniper isn't all that hard to where you can do your rotations. Actually, if they are up; you probably better as you never know when you are going to die anyway. I guess from a PvP perspective anyway.

The thing is with sniper, is even a bolstered noob can do well if left a lone. The real skill is when you get experienced enough to find the next most tactical position when you have to move in order to keep other players off you.

Other than that, so far after trying all advanced classes to an extent; none of them are really THAT hard when it comes to pushing buttons. It's figuring out when to use them and on how you position/move.