J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Hardwear

IGN

Wired

USA TODAY

So what does ToR community think of the news, Abrams was obviously good for Star Trek is he just as well suited for Star Wars or do you think one guy taking on two of most iconic space franchises in history is too much for one guy?

Also with the immanent marketing zerg in the wake of these new movies what will be the effect on ToR since this is the only MMO representation of the galaxy far far away?

Will EA/Bioware be able to capitalize "hopefully in a good way"?

Edited by Hardwear

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Disney is definately aiming to collect on their 4 billion dollar investment and if their past aquisitions like Marvel and Pixar are any indicator they have a good track record.

..but I'm really curious how ToR will play into (if at all), this resurgent Star wars franchise

Haven't seen the new Star Trek as it doesn't have Picard and thus isn't proper Star Trek :p If Abrams did that movie well though, there's no reason to think he can't do Star Wars well also. I'm very happy to finally see a continunation of the series, wasn't expecting that till Lucas passed away, so yay for Disney. Since TOR is set in a completely different timeline, I can't imagine the new movies will have much effect on it.

Since TOR is set in a completely different timeline, I can't imagine the new movies will have much effect on it.

Yeah I realize that the timelines are melleniums apart, but I still think EABioWare has an opportunity to take advantage of the publicity the new movies will generate.

Edited by Hardwear

Is this serious???

Worst news possible.

Abrams is the king of forgetable shlock. He is not a story teller; he makes cheap roller coaster rides.

No. Worst news possible would be George going "Meesa back!" and taking over as director himself :)

OK, Abrams isn't Joss W or Gullermo Del T, but he's no slouch. And his pacing's good; a roller coaster ride is exactly what a SW film should be. And the story is not in his hands; it's being written off of GWLs notes by the guy who wrote Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine. So his influence over the actual storytelling will me mitigated somewhat, I suspect.

Cant say that I am impressed. None of his movies and only 2 of his tv shows have been to my liking. Revolution and that spy tv show on years ago if I recall.

He is a well respected Film man though I am not a fan of his movies someone seems to think he can do the franchise good.

I am not a fan of relaunched/rebooted or reimagined tv shows or movies..he seems to be in the thich of them.

Will I watch the movies? Probably..with many reservations

Turns out...the Secret Planet they spend 2 movies searching was actually RIGHT above the magic place in space where the Opening Crawl texts eternally crawl about:O:O:O

ÖMFG:O

*Mind humped like harlot come saturday:O*

*lost logo*

Edited by Stradlin

Come on, this guy is about the worst possible choice for Star Wars. The last three were bad because they focused too much on action and politics, and too little on story. That's EXACTLY the kind of movies this guy does best, they might as well just name the next movie The Phantom Menace Returns.

Alternatively they could name it The Lens Flare Strikes Back.

Gah....damn you Disney execs....

Come on, this guy is about the worst possible choice for Star Wars. The last three were bad because they focused too much on action and politics, and too little on story. That's EXACTLY the kind of movies this guy does best, they might as well just name the next movie The Phantom Menace Returns.

Alternatively they could name it The Lens Flare Strikes Back.

Gah....damn you Disney execs....

I think you have no idea how much worse it could have been, there are plenty of really bad directors around. The issue with episode I to III wasn't the story, it was that Lucas lost his mojo, he didn't knew anymore how pacing works, how practical effects are sometimes better, and he had never been really good in telling the actors how to act, which got really terrible when they had to act in front of greenscreens for most of the time with the prequels. The original trilogy had also quite a simple story and was big on emotions and had nice action, all the things that J.J. Abrams is capable of delivering (only the lens flare thing he is doing can be annoying).

I think you have no idea how much worse it could have been, there are plenty of really bad directors around. The issue with episode I to III wasn't the story, it was that Lucas lost his mojo, he didn't knew anymore how pacing works, how practical effects are sometimes better, and he had never been really good in telling the actors how to act, which got really terrible when they had to act in front of greenscreens for most of the time with the prequels. The original trilogy had also quite a simple story and was big on emotions and had nice action, all the things that J.J. Abrams is capable of delivering (only the lens flare thing he is doing can be annoying).

Oh I realize there are much worse, but Disney isn't stupid enough to give a project like this to Uwe Boll or Paul W. S Anderson. They're just blindly jumping on the Abrams bandwagon. I mean, hey I enjoyed Alias, early Fringe, and early Lost. I can even enjoy Star Trek when I can get my brain to shut off. But frankly he's only a step above Michael Bay.

I get it, they see how he "revitalized" the Star Trek franchise and hope he can do the same here. But in my opinion Abrams has KILLED the Star Trek franchise, from now forward we're likely to get nothing but schlocky action movies/series there. And now it seems likely Star Wars will be the same.

Good choice in directors, bad choice in titles. I really hope they set the new film/s in The Old Republic era to tie-in with this game. Not only would that boost sales for this game but this era is far more interesting with its cold war, Machiavellian politics and corruption. Jedi and Sith at the height of their powers battling on a scale not seen before; Battle of Gondor with lightsabers anyone?

Yeah I realize that the timelines are melleniums apart, but I still think EABioWare has an opportunity to take advantage of the publicity the new movies will generate.

Why do people write EABioware?

Just write one or the other, as it is the same thing.....:rolleyes: