Who else creates a backstory for their character?

FortuneHost

For my two, both of them have a little mental character sheet, a sort of origin story that I use to inform their choices in the game.

For example, Ymara, my new trooper, was a small town girl (living in a lonely world) whose hometown was attacked by the Empire. Bombs and fire and all the usual rough times. However, the place was saved when an army of Republic Troopers came and fought the Empire back. As a little girl she viewed these valiant souls as knights in white, and told herself she wanted to join their ranks and be a proud soldier of the Republic.

She lands on Ord Mantell and sees all the corruption, finding that her white knights have some real bad eggs... she's furious. She is enraged and resolves that she is going to be "one of the good ones." To be that valiant ideal she grew up believing in, that white knight who swoops in to save the day. She follows her heart, true to her word and her duty, never harming innocents. She has absolutely no qualms disobeying her superiors, for she believes she answers to a higher authority of truth and justice.

However, when it comes to corruption and/or the Empire, she is merciless. Anger and disgust for the people who ransacked her home... when speaking of the Empire I go for the more ruthless angry dialogue choices.

So what about you? What little side stories have you written for your characters?

Edited by FortuneHost

My personal favourite class is the sith warrior so naturaly I made up a story for him because in m mind he is a male human marauder and the inquisitor is a female chiss sorceress.

He was born to a emperial war hero and a powerfull sith lord coming from a long line of powerfull force users. They both fought in the first war an he was raised on a hidden compound on a backwater world to hide him from rivals. There he was trained in the wilderness in both the arts of the sith and the art of survival. Living in that wasteland having to compete with bomas zakkegs and various other beasts forced him to evolve his potential to its fullest from a very early age which explains why he was able to compete with sith lords and overseers when still on korriban.

When his parents were killed in a border skirmish he took the family name and traveled to korriban at the age of 17 where everyone knows what happened.

After this is where I take a lot of the story in my own hand I would like to believe that he studied for a couple of months on korriban at the most judging by the speed of the story there and theat he studied for 2 years under Baras on Dromund Kass.

The reason for this 2 year period is because there is a lot to do on Dromund. While there he befriended the future Darth Occulus/Imperius/Nox and that they taught eachother what the other was learning from his/her master cpmplementing their training. And of course they infiltrated the revanites and did that heroic quest where you prevent an invasion from a rouge sith lord and make a name for yourself among the sith.

So he is around 19 when he goes hunting for Jeasa, a hunt that takes about half a year (always do the Balmorra story arc to cover up the fact that im hunting down Baras spies it seems so stupid not to and the BAlmorra arc seems to take some time) then he spend maybee 3 or 4 tears between act1 and 2 to train Jaesa and build a name for himself (doing flashpoints space missions and all those things you can not really put a date stamp on gaining the experience that is required to become the Wrath) untill he is called upon again to perform act2 where he is now Darth Baras unstopable enforcer and the on worthy succesor to lord Scourge the age of 24.

PS. Yes this is a lot of stuff but i play a lot of RPG:s otherwise D&D, Fantasy Craft World of Darkness etc and I really like to evolve my characters background thouroghly.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to create a backstory for my characters, but I'm not exactly good at this:

1. Kelsynora

profession: bounty hunter, mercenary specialty

species: zabrak

allegiance : Mandalorians

birthplace: unknown, probably Hutta

alignment: neutral

likes: money,Mandalorian armors & stronghold decorations,challenges

dislikes: hypocritical Jedi ( Jun Seros), the Republic, the SiS

relationship: in a romantic relationship with Torian Cadera

2. Cyriwen

profession: Jedi consular sage

species: human

allegiance: the Jedi Order

birthplace: unknown

alignment : Light side

likes/dislikes: never talks about that

relationship: in a romantic relationship with Theron Shan

I have two Sith Warriors that I have a backstory for. They are both Sith Pureblood brothers Siox and Niox, the older one (Siox) killed their father to advance through the ranks of the Empire and slowly learns the ways of becoming the ultimate Sith Lord world eater. While Niox is following in his brothers shadow.. plotting to take revenge and overthrow his brother to bring a more stable Empire.

While this is happening my Jedi Guardian Parax is on the hunt for them both and trying to convert Niox to the light side and help stop Siox from destroying the Republic and the galaxy.

I have a way more IN DEPTH story for this, but this is the simple version. Would love to write it up, alot of my characters play a part in all this (bounty hunter, trooper etc).

I always create "new concepts" for each of my characters, it's guess it's why I still watch every piece of dialog (someone even the old side missions. I am able to differentiate one character to the next, even if all the dialog options are the same.

However, if I was to write a complete history, for a guild, because I'm an avid forum RPer, that will take a little longer.

Name: Kartmatu

Species: Mirialan

Nickname: The Great Stoneface. - Given because of his big angular face and lack of facial emotions.

Previous positions held: Darth, Lord of the sith, Emperors wrath, Empires wrath (unofficially) , Outlander (unofficially).

Place of Birth: Alderaan, Carrisdan City.

Current Residence: Odessen, Alliance Base.

Family: Ce'na (Married), Tingar (Father), Cipher 16 (Mother) [Dead: KIA] *Imperial Intelligence call sign*, Kattemaksu (Sister) [Dead: Murdered], Perustus (Brother).

Kartmatu was born on Alderaan, Carrisdan City, well within the borders of House Organa's territory. This Mirialan family has lived on Alderaan for 800 years serving the Republic and Organa in all that time. Recently Kartmatu the youngest member of this family left home and found a place in nearby Kantaris, a small town, it's from here that Kartmatu's spirit is shown by helping everyone around him and asking nothing of himself until several months before Korriban his talent in the force manifested just like that, it came on very strong.

The unfortunate result of such a strong connection didn't go unnoticed by a sith lord; Lord Damris, who was a few miles away when he felt this new tremor in the force. He quickly contacted Korriban academy after discovering and confirming Kartmatu is strong in the force. Kartmatu was taken aboard an imperial ship, tortured, forced to perform basic dark side attacks and given a weapon over that time by an overseer; Tremel. From OVerseer Tremel Kartmatu was given basic challenges and was passed to the Academy.

Because of Kartmatu's strong connection to the light side of the force, no amount of training in the dark worried Kartmatu in the slightest on his journey from acolyte to apprentice after murdering Vemrin. Kartmatu isn't cocky or arrogant to presume is is ready for even a fraction of the stuff in the galaxy and despite his demanding taskmaster Baras, Kartmatu overcame the challenges with his honesty, dedication to doing right behind Baras' back. Even when the pressure was on, Tremel survived his encounter to see his original favored acolyte become a true master and witness the fall of Baras. Despite the dark traditions, Baras was locked up instead of being murdered by Kartmatu.

In the process Kartmatu fell in love with a Twi'lek who calls herself "Vette", but it's discovered later on her name is Ce'na. Kartmatu very much enjoys her jokes, her general disposition to life and her willingness to do the right thing.

Loves: Sticking it to the dark side users by proudly showing his lightside alignment.

Likes: Honesty, a person owning up to their mistakes, lightside choices.

Dislikes: Foolish behavior, dishonorable tactics, hypocritical actions, killing innocent people, abuse of power, dark side force users.

Hates: Cowardly fighters who hide behind others and kill others to make some point and fall so hard in the fighting.

Name: Marino

Age: Unknown. - Caused by dark side corruption, plus face mask has never been taken off since found.

Species: Cathar

Nickname: Mr. No Nonsense . - Given because Marino has shown zero tolerance for any action counterproductive no matter how small.

Previous positions held: Darth, Lord of the Sith, Darth Nox (unofficial), Outlander (unofficial).

Place of Birth: Dromund Kaas, Kaas City.

Current residence: Gravestone (Ship).

Family: Astiir (Father) [Dead: Parricide], Mesha (Mother) [Dead: Parricide]. Kavan (Foster Father) [Dead: Murdered], Shalis (Foster Mother) [Dead: Murdered].

Marino was born on Dromund Kaas to a mother who was heavily pregnant, but because Marino was born on this planet the Imperials kept him as he is imperial born. The Mother and Father were forced off world and ended up on Tatooine scrubbing junk and selling it to traders and jawas, Mesha was never the same after losing their own son, most days she is an empty shell of her former self but there are times her husband manages to get her back.

Marino grew up as an imperial, but most importantly he was raised by a notable imperial family who were murdered when Marino came of age, Marino himself killed them because they were not his family and because they had the audacity to call him their son which he hated unconditionally since he was small and old enough to understand. Marino was already force sensitive as a child and got some minor training from Lord Phastar. Marino killed Phastar in his house for his incompetence in teaching him incorrectly.

Marino's kill streak didn't end there but it drew the attention of Sith high up, notably Darth Marr who saw a lot of potential, he anonymously sponsored Marino to become Sith. In the Academy Marino murdered quite a few students and an overseer, everyone knew it was him but had no proof. the few students he killed were incompetent at their tasks and Overseer Grevin got in Marino's face a few too many times. Even so Overseer Harkun had to keep training this young man of the age of 16. Zash spotted his young man and took him as apprentice.

After that map and Dashade, Ffon's hand taken and given to Harkun after being shouted down by Zash. Marino was giddy and thrilled at the same time after showing the hand to Harkun and his shocked and disappointed facial expression showed up. Zash started using Marino in her plans but being blind sighted by two potentially dangerous foes he almost lost his body and life in a ritual. After being revived Marino learned of where his biological parents are, he visited them and was immediately disgusted and insulted by what they do and who they are. After a short conversation where they admitted their love for their son, Marino cut them both down and hung their parts in their house and then returned to his business, using that guilt, anguish and pain to sharpen his abilities to the point he managed to take out Thanaton, so blood thristy he was denied by a dark council member.

After his journey he has manipulated his crew, especially ashara to such an extent that they only know frustration and anger. Marino claimed the title of Darth and become a council member for a short time, between his actions on Yavin 4 and Ziost, Marino found and murdered one of the two dark council members for killing Thanaton.

After 5 years in a block of ice wasn't enough to stop Marino, the death counter continued as former allies, companions belonging to others and new allies were cut down due various failings, Marino can not abide anyone messing about. Marino has also developed a big arrogant streak, but he competely tempers this with his intelligent actions and as a result he a bottom line person, never one to mess around.

Loves: Duty, Diligence, Dark side, Sith Empire, highly ironic and perverse actions that end up with an intense dark side moment that is thrilling to watch.

Likes: Strength, Power, Manipulating others, killing fools, killing incompetents, arrogance, intelligent actions, creulty, showing off.

Dislikes: foolishness, inaction, incompetence, sychophants, light side actions.

Hates: Excuses of any type no matter how big or small they are.

I do have pretty extensive backstories for mine, especially my SW, as well as stories to fill in the gaps in the class story and afterward (like in my SW's story, she DID kick Quinn off the ship and replaced him with a cyborg). It helps create a context and makes it easier to make some gray area decisions for them.

I do have pretty extensive backstories for mine, especially my SW, as well as stories to fill in the gaps in the class story and afterward (like in my SW's story, she DID kick Quinn off the ship and replaced him with a cyborg). .

lol

And yeah, I thought most made back stories for their people automatically? I just can't help it. If I don't have a back story, I'm not making a character, cause otherwise, it feels like a grind to level.

I would never share mine, though, they're so eye-roll :D

I never thought of making a back story for my character, I feel like if it isn't "official", it doesn't matter!

Not that there's anything wrong with others finding it appealing, if it makes your game more fun, then more power to ya!

:)

One character of mine per class has a backstory and many extra scenes and writings to fill in gaps, but I work very hard to find any in-game dialogue stuff about backstories/fmaily already written in and have gone through class stories many times through trying to find as much dialogue as possible so that I can build a backstory for my characters around what is officially given to us in their class stories or anywhere other dialogue. So far it's going well, only got a couple of classes left to double check any history, past experience and family dialogue or comments for :)

I like to write, not where it's seen by others, but when it comes to 'fan fic for a already presented story' i try to stay as close to the story and known information as possible. I don't like changing things about the story, but I'm quite fine adding more to it. Lots of blank spots between planets, class story arcs and crew missions etc to fill out as well as more to the character histories.

I do but not in the context of Star Wars ^^

I use their physical appearance and general character to make characters for other, personal stories.

In some cases, their skill translate to the new setting, in other case (Mostly the Jedi and Sith character) it's the physical appearance that does.

But that's mostly because I have a terrible visual imagination and I can't invent a character's physical appearance without a dedicated tool.

I do love this type of thing but the only character I put real effort into a backstory for is my main character.

keeping with the core story basics of her base class, my primary is a human female the Sith inquisitor.

in my head canon, I try to follow the existing lore and only tweak smaller details.

Name: Ambrosiel

Class: Sith Sorceress

Alignment; Light rank 4.5 as due to some pragmatic decision making she is unlikely to be truly pure light side.

(In my head She is fully capable of using the Assassin abilities.

infact they were her initial focus up until studying rituals and secrets of the force took priority during the events of chapter 2 as a necessity to avoid being killed by the much older more experienced Darth Thanaton.)

please note that her raw power was always superior to Thanaton but as he explains early in chapter 2 he is many times her age and thus far more knowledgeable in using his power effectively)

She spent her childhood on a remote passive planet unaffected by the cold war until one of the Ruling politicians began picking unnecessary fights with the Imperial diplomats who had until that point been rather civil in discussions regarding the proposed construction of a mutually beneficial relationship between the planet and the empire.

As one might expect even when the empire tries to play nice they do not tolerate blatant and unprovoked disrespect so the Sith Lord leading the diplomats lost patience with the minister killing him and enslaving most of his family as an example to the population before in stating forced Imperial control. (the only exceptions to this were his youngest relations under 12 years of age who were sent to Imperial aligned military prep schools.)

Ambrosiel at 14 years old and a great granddaughter of the deposed prime minister was not qualified for the exception and quickly detained.

experiencing a potent fear and anger for the very first time in her life, Ambrosiel, strapped to a table with restraints. she observed as a particularly cruel slave handler prepared his branding tool to mark her face.

as he drew closer the burning brand approaching her face she lost consciousness.

upon awakening, she was confronted by an overseer who explained that to her that before she could be branded her body released a burst of force electricity that incapacitated and ultimately killed the slave master.

exposed as a force sensitive she was offered the same deal all empire receive. Train as a potential future Sith or die.

a year or 2 of basic combat training and studying the basics of the dark side of the force she arrives at Korribaan where the class story begins.

so to keep this from getting much longer lets end it here with a note that the rest of the story takes place over less than 3 years as she ascends to the dark council at an unusually young age of 19. (Darth Marr calls her a child in the chapter 3 cutscene so it makes sense.) and ends up locked in carbonite a maximum of 2 and a half years later probably a bit less... where she remained for 5 years.

As an author IRL... I tend to mentally write up a background story for all my characters, of which I have many. *just don't ask for names, I suck at remembering what I don't write down.*

My question is this:

At what age doe Force Sensitive kids get sent to Korriban for training? And, well, is some of t hat training done off world?

I have backstories for all of them. Some even tend to get pretty long. I do not speak of them though, unless it seems in-topic or the person I am talking to seems interested in talking about OCs and sharing their own backstories. I know that some people get annoyed when another keeps talking about their OC all the time, so I try not to force this upon others.

I don't RP any of my characters as the class pc (the memorial holoprojectors aren't just cool looking decs, you know?).

..but since the topic is still on backstories, I'll bite.

Main is an Operative - (Chiss) Field Medic/Commando with the First Expansionary Fleet, and is based in a relatively unknown system in Wild Space (yeah, it's an EU reference, too)

Commando - (Human) ex-Justicar who plea bargained his way into just being banned from Republic space, and is exiled on Tatooine

Sorcerer - (Human) former Darth Victus apprentice that went into deep meditation after the occupation of Korriban, (SoR prelude), and has only been recently awoken after draining 5 or so years worth of lost acolytes; now spends time between Alderaan (homeworld) and DK

Juggernaut - (Pureblood) Sith Lord who lives in the DK rainforests, and is also a participant in a PB breeding/soft eugenics program

Guardian - (Miralukan) Jedi Knight (also probably going to make a Jugg alter ego, soon) embedded with the Coruscant Security Forces, and is locally known for his "tough on crime" approach (DS af)

I haven't developed backstories for the other characters I have, but probably the way it's looking, Sage will be a spelunking cron hunter, Scoundrel will be a vanilla Corellian smuggler/all around ancap, and Assassin will be Imperial Guard; the rest I haven't made, or figured out.

:rak_cool:

Edited by Augsust

I guess I don't have a main... I play my Legacy as a family story. So they're all my mains...

I'd love to do that with my characters... but what happens when all of them are a mixed bag of species... Perhaps someone got on the wrong happy meds and revved up a Rakata machine for giggles and grins?

I have a "mixed bag" of species, genders, and stories to go with different "families"- they all aren't from the same family.

For instance, I have a Dark side purebred Sith who is Sith assassin. his younger brother is a lightside SW. And his younger sister is a dark side jedi knight. All purebred sith.

The story for these 3 is as follows:

All 3 grew up on Ziost, although the younger 2 were very young (toddlers) when their parents ended up (because of Sith politics) on the wrong side) being killed and the children sold into slavery. They ended up separated and on different planets throughout the empire and Hutt space because of this. The oldest, Totendanz (he who dances with the dead- or ghosts) - who had the most memories of his parents - ended up on an Empire controlled world and, through some crafty force manipulation, managed to "convince" his new owner to sent him to Korriban - and thus - "liberating" himself. He in turn after his ascension to the Dark council tried to find his siblings, and in both cases, made contact. He is out to become an Emperor himself, and will make powerful positions for his siblings.... if he can. He is somewhat of a pragmatist .

The younger brother, Barzel, ended up being sold to another powerful Sith couple on Ziost who were childless - and when the original Darth who had killed his parents ended up dead (fighting the republic), they adopted him and raised him as their own. So.... long story short, when the Emperor destroys Ziost, he also killed my SW's adopted parents....

My dark side jedi knight Mazella ended up sold to an unnamed Hutt-owned mining colony world. There, she adapted to the harsh conditions by her innate force abilities. Having a clever overseer, this one figured he wouldn't be able to control her very much longer, and knew that the Jedi were always looking for more force-sensitive youths, so "sold" her, at the ripe age of 8, to them. So, she ended up being raised by the Jedi, but knew, every time she looked in the mirror, that she in her features, and in her mind, and in her heart, was Sith. And would always be Sith. (For that reason, you can guess who she will eventually ally with on Iokath). For now, "Offstage", she has had many conversations with Scourge on exactly what being "Sith" is all about, and although she presently (hasn't gone thru KOTFE or KOTET yet) is on the Republic "side", she does not exactly share Republic Ideology! She has now had "contact" with her olderbrothers, and knows that the eldest is "on the Dark Council", and that her other brother became the "Wrath" after Scourge. Which gave her some additional (Off-camera, in other words, not in the "canon story") conversations with Scourge.

My 2 chiss have a family story of their own as well. (one is DS IA, other is LS JediKnight).

My 2 cyborgs (LS BH and LS RT) have their own family story as well.

Right now on my Solaris Legacy I have 4 Republic Characters Fem LS JC Shadow, a Male LS JK Sentinel Watchman, Twin Bro LS Smugglers, one Gunslinger, one Scoundrel, and an LS M Vanguard tactics. They all have Raven Black hair pale skin and blue eyes and trace their Ancestry back to my original LS Fem Revan and Carth Onasi's Daughter. On the Imp Side, I have one LS Male Sith Juggernaut, and Two Operatives, one LS Male Doctor, and a LS Female Infiltrator. They have Deep Red hair, bright green eyes, and very pale skin. They're first cousins to my Republics and very much haters of the Sith, but don't like the politics of the republic either. Quite Frankly NONE of my characters like the politics of their factions or the other. They like diplomacy not politics. Edited by JakRoanin

K'azhmyr was a Nightsister that was enslaved by the Empire during their occupation of Dathomir (my own head-canon, not facts of actual canon.) Then as a slave she was sent to Korriban and became a Sith Assassin. She's played along through the politics of the Sith until reaching the conclusion of the Inquisitor class story when she joined the Dark Council and with that power she freed Dathomir so that it no longer was occupied and left to govern itself.

All the while she has made light-side choices. She got to where she is not by making the dark side choices but proved herself while having compassion and empathy for those that have been abused by the Empire on both sides of the war. All along her hopes were to bring the galaxy together in a unified form.

She was able to further her goal when she became the Outlander, leading the Alliance and will in this canon playthrough I'm in right now, will ultimately become the Commander of the Eternal Fleet where she will continue her work protecting the oppressed and misused.

I know this ignores a lot of the real canon of the Nightsisters, but yea, it's my own head-canon and not imposed on anyone but myself.

Edited by deFafnyr