Loot rules? need and greed with companions

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do u think we will use the need and greed rule now that we have companions?

Me thinks the player's character should always have priority over any player's companion. So in order to not have "ninja" loots in flashpoints or general group content, everyone must accept and respect that.

If not, prepare yourself for drama.

So the companion is actually really important?

I mean, as much as me?

Is fine for me as far as other ppl are ok with that.

I would never need on upgrades for my companion. The companion will not be there when you are doing instances, PvP, or Raids. Take the companion as a questing "pet/minigame" I would certainly bash you for needing for your comapnion where I need for my say raid gear.

So the companion is actually really important?

I mean, as much as me?

Is fine for me as far as other ppl are ok with that.

This is a touchy subject for a lot of people. Some believe that other players in the group should be priority over someone's companions, while others believe that if a companion can use it, they have a right to need on it.

Personally, I'm going to see how others start rolling and do the same. If people start rolling for companions, then I'll do the same for that group.

i think they should have another need button so theres the "need" button the "greed" button and there should be a "companion need" button it wouldnt stop people trying to ninja gear but it could stop a few people from doing it cause im gonna be really confused when i do the flash point wether or not my companion gear is as important as mine is.

This is a touchy subject for a lot of people. Some believe that other players in the group should be priority over someone's companions, while others believe that if a companion can use it, they have a right to need on it.

Personally, I'm going to see how others start rolling and do the same. If people start rolling for companions, then I'll do the same for that group.

agreed, I always delay my roll to see what the others do. Its the only way to combat ninja's unfortunately.

Edited by Kryptoniic

IMO, only those in the instance can roll a need...like others said your companion is not going to be there most of the time, so they dont get a need roll. However if you only have 3 players and someone is using their companion to fill the 4th slot, then ok that player can roll need for that companion because they are participating in the group.

Though it may become tedious, depending on how often you group, we're all probably better off setting loot rules up front when we group up.

I imagine that I'll ask groupies to please not roll "need" on gear for companions unless no one else needs that gear for their character. That's similar to how I ask groupies to roll for off-spec gear.

Good luck!

Edited by Jorrus

Long story short, check with your group before you roll need for your companion.

Would you automatically roll need on a drop for an alt? Say you're tanking, and there's an item that drops that you'd like for if/when you respec for dps, would you automatically roll on it even though it's inferior or incorrectly itemized for what you're currently doing? The answer to both those questions should be no. If, however, the other group members don't mind after you ask, by all means roll need.

Remember, we don't have cross server junk to deal with, your actions will have reprecussions through the server you play with. Act like a jerk, people won't want to group with you and your name will get out to the rest of the server.

Ask before the FP starts and make sure its ok with everyone else?

I'm torn really, because on one hand, your companion won't be with you for anything but solo content for the most part, so player characters should have priority over gear. However, if I'm a healer and my companion is the one doing a lot of the actual fighting, for me to be able to actual do solo content, my companions gear needs to be up to par.

Plus, what's to stop people from lying about what they're going to do?

I'll simply ask if it's OK, then go with the flow, and if other people start doing it, I will too. Nothing worse than someone in your group throwing a hissy fit and performing badly. Remember no dungeon finder here so remaking your FP group COULD be a real pain in the *** if you piss someone off or kick them.

To be honest your best bet is to ask the group how they want things to go down, but then also delay your rolls until you actually see what theyre doing. Ninjas are common in these games, hopefully server restricted dungeons will help by creating "blacklists" for those who ninja.

I say you can roll need on companion gear if nobody else wants it on their character. For instance, heavy armor in a group of characters that can only wear light and medium? Sure, go ahead and roll need on that for your companion. Have a trooper/BH that rolls need? **** no, you roll need on that you run the risk of winning it for something that you, quite frankly, should only be using when you absolutely can't find other people to play with and being kicked from my group. That's my take on it.

Need rolling for companions when all others greed/pass = OK

Need rolling against someone whose character actually needs it = NO

Need rolling on everything when you clearly don't need it = kick

Greed rolling on everything = fine, you're just a greedy goblin. I'm cool with that.

they really need to put in a seperate roll function for campanions a campanion need is over a regular greed and a regular need is over companion need and also allow in dungeon trading of drops so if someone "ninjas" somehtiing from you for their companion you can trade it and what not

I think this is going to be a hot issue in game. As I see it , should be simple. If the loot is for your player character click need. If for a companion, click greed. Every class has a whole bunch of companions that they can summon at will (all with different gear needs), there for everyone needs everything for all their companions. So .. simple, equip your toon, greed on everything else. Set the expectation at group formation..

Any thoughts?

I included the idea of a "companion need" in the feedback after testing but even then, like someone has said if it's for an alt or someone who is not in the active party then a need roll shouldn't be used.

Should maybe have a need button that can only be pressed if the loot is for your character like other games and have that button accept loot that is for your active companion if they are in the current group.

Just glad I have a large guild of friendly players that all think the same way on this subject so I can avoid pug's altogether until a better loot system is in place.

Well-said i will do the same. or if people start rolling for alts as-well

Edited by Thordar