Marauder PvP questions.

dinnaya

Hello people,

I had, as a noob, some questions about Pvp as a marauder. This is my first MMO and I feel like I'm just not getting better at it, which gets annoying at times. I've been PvPing for a little while now, and I do feel like I'm getting better at playing a marauder and I do feel like I've come to understand warzones better but my results just don't get any better. I rarely win a warzone. I never complete my Weekly quest within a week, because I oftenly literally have to play for hours before I win a single warzone, which oftenly makes me just wanna call it a day for this game.

I mostly play either the Rage or Carnage spec. I've tried Annihilation several times, but it just isn't for me, I'm prolly not good enough at it or something :rolleyes:. I like rage because it has some nice damage, and you're not to dependant on healers. You can just build up rage through choke/crush/berserk, charge/oblterate, smash, and get away and repeat without getting to close to people for too much time. I like Carnage because of the nice burst it CAN have, with berserk,gore,massacre, and I know other players appreciate the speed buff. It's just that I can rarely actually perform this burst, because I always get stunned instantly, and keep getting stunned untill I die (Tell me if it's me, but I do think there are too many stuns in this game :rolleyes:). It is almost as if on the other side they're like "kill it immediately if it carries 2 lightsabers!!!". :(

Now I've heard that getting the proper PvP gear can make a huge difference in this, in which I horribly failed, because I was getting the PvP gear that is meant for marauders (How silly of me :o). So I was halfway my WH weaponmaster gear when I found this out, and now I'm on my way getting the WH vindicator set, for the bonus and everything, after which I will have to augment and min/max with the glove mods (I've read the guide on this forum :D). This process is going terribly slow of course because of my winrate. But in the end, will it make the huge difference people talk about?

I also heard the key to victory is grouping up with people and talk on teamspeak. Is that true?

Bottomline is that I'd greatly appreciate the greater marauders/sentinels around here to give me some advice on the issues I've mentioned here, and maybe give me some tips, so that I can improve my results in PvP before it starts ticking me off too much and just wanna give up at some point.

Thanks guys! :D

Youtube youtube youtube. No one is going to be able to present in a wall of text, a viable way to play your toon. Look at the good folks who post videos on youtube. And don't just watch the video, slow it, pay attention to what abilities they are using and when. Then look up some videos about how other classes counter Marauders. Go to noxxic and check out a basic rotation. Use it so that it becomes muscle memory. Then once you've done that, learn when NOT to use it.

I'm sorry but the forums are just not a good medium of communication for passing along knowledge. People need to see you play to know what you are doing right/wrong. To that end, if you are in a WZ with a Mara that melts people, and happens to not be a douche, add him and ask him to spend some time dueling with you. The best way to learn any class is to play that class, the second best is to play against that class. You can multiply your learning by dueling someone of the same class as you, over and over, but only if you discuss what you did right/wrong after each fight.

As I said, the only thing you said that gave insight into your play style, is that you don't want to stay close to people for too long. That is not a Marauder's approach. We are melee, the only time we should be alone is when everyone around us is dead.

But from a general feedback standpoint, Rage is the "easiest" tree. Stick with that until you feel comfortable. Carnage and Annihilation are harder, and plus they just nerfd the most useful part of Annihilation.

And of course, if you are keyboard turning and clicking, stop.

As for grouping and teamspeak, yeah that helps. But it isn't going to make a bad player good. But the easiest way to accomplish all of the above, is to join a non-elitist pvp guild. You're gonna get a lot more help from guildies than random strangers.

The stuns? Welcome to CCWTOR...

Edited by criminalheretic

Thanks for the answer, I'll try to look up some video. And Maybe I can find someone who will help me in-game.

Just a question: What is keyboard turning? Also, Does Carnage for example being harder to play than rage means that Carnage has more potential?

Just a question: What is keyboard turning? Also, Does Carnage for example being harder to play than rage means that Carnage has more potential?

Keyboard turning: using your S+D keys to turn your toon. Most people use W to move forward, then control direction with the mouse...which is a much more responsive way to play. "Keyboard turners" are considered noobs.

Carnage has the best single target burst in the game. A full rotation will take just about anyone down. The problem is pulling it off, because if you get stunned or interrupted, most of your damage potential just went out the window. You have to play Carnage very carefully unless you have a pocket healer. Pick targets who are already stunned or engaged in a fight with someone else so you can get your rotation off. It's kind of like a pseudo-stealth class where you need to be selective with who you engage.

Carnage works best on a coordinated team. It can be difficult to play in PUGs.

Edited by TheronFett

You need to learn around 30 keybinds and play with a relaxed mentality if you want to be a good marauder(anni or carnage spec). You can't hesitate or use your defensive cooldowns prematurely. Also know where the Health buffs are so you can camo and med up to have minimal downtime. Lastly learn when the third or second hit comes off of ravage to combine with other attacks to increase your burst and keep up the healing debuff. The rest just comes with experience.

Or you can role derpsmash spec with a healer.