What I hate about the Jedi's in the Movies...

Janeos

Okay... finish the line? :)

They are consistantly portrayed as being selfish idiots that dont really care about peace, truth or justice .

I.E

We are more interested in trade taxes and will sit on our rear ends while sending TWO Jedi to liberate Naboo even when we suspect the Sith are there.

I.E

Leaving Anakin's mother behind, sure you can justify not being able to take her in the movie the first time... but 10 years later and noone bothered to go pick her up or save ANY of the slaves ?

Oh no... instead Yoda likes to 'meditate' or play with 'younglings' using lightsabers. Good job there Master useless.

That they are peace loving hippies that hold no issues killing their opponent in the heat of combat yet when they disarm their enemy and have them at saber point find issues with killing, which more often than not ends up as a fatal mistake.....

That and they are a Group of Space Hippies who Are for some reason in charge of commanding the military during a large scale war when prior to that had no such training aside from diplomacy and keeping the peace.... It's like putting the Peace Core in charge of strategic warfare when a major conflict arises

They are consistantly portrayed as being selfish idiots that dont really care about peace, truth or justice .

I.E

We are more interested in trade taxes and will sit on our rear ends while sending TWO Jedi to liberate Naboo even when we suspect the Sith are there.

I.E

Leaving Anakin's mother behind, sure you can justify not being able to take her in the movie the first time... but 10 years later and noone bothered to go pick her up or save ANY of the slaves ?

Oh no... instead Yoda likes to 'meditate' or play with 'younglings' using lightsabers. Good job there Master useless.

I would like to piggy back on your answers with my own that go hand and hand.

1. Why didn't the jedi send someone with Obi-wan and Qui-Gon after the latter exposed a sith trained fighter.... qui-gon was not a battlemaster nor was Obi a KNight, what was mace windu doing but sitting on his butt, had he gone with them he could have handled Darth Maul, and personally witnessed the chosen one's courage when blowing up the trade ship

2. If anything, you't think the rich world of naboo would flip the bill in freeing Anakin's mother, i mean this young boy not only won the boonta eve for you, but he also saved all your people from droid death. I think the royal queen would be able to spare a few riches to buy off watto..? And if anything imagine how well she'd be treated on naboo after her son saved their people!

They're piss weak. I could probably kill one.

This, actually. Obi and Qui-gon speed off from two droidekas? For real? They can fight and kill Maul (sure, qui-gon fell asleep and died, but hey...), but some scrap metal with a small shield isn't even worth the attempt?

Same with arena on geonosia. "We're jedi, strong in the force. But we can't undo these handcuffs with the force, oh no. I mean, I throw stuff around, crush stuff, push hude loads, and the dark side, man you should see what they can do, lightning, choking, flying, but handcuffs? Well out of the force's capabilities, sorry. What's that? Leap to the top of the pole? No can do, sorry. Not sure why though..."

Also, the scene 4 jedi go to arrest sidious. He does some wierd *** vertical flying leap and kills 3 of them in 1 hit each."Hurp, someone overdose on sleeping tablets last night guys? What's up, heavy night in the cantina? Better lay off that juma juice or Sidious gona crap on you again. All that training to reach master and the 3 of you were little better than dolls in a window."

It's like this. Jedi vs Sith - Super powerful, amazing duelist (See Obi/Anakin on Mustafar).

Jedi vs anything else - Piss weak, lucky to survive. Spends more time running and hiding that actually doing something. (See Obi/Quigon getting to naboo from droid ship.)

i was annoyed in the Prequels how they could just wave their light saber around and deflect anything. That and the wearing of the robes.

In the Original Triology Obi Wan is wearing the same robes as Uncle Owen. So that means either while hiding from the Empire Obi Wan still wears Jedi Robes and so does Uncle Owen OR Obi Wan is just wearing the robes that normal people wear.

Somewhere along the way they got called Jedi Robes and EVERY Jedi wears them. It should be more like this game where the Jedis actually wear armor.

They don't use the force enough. Why not use Force Speed? Why not hurl debris while you are fighting with the lightsaber instead of separately like in Ep2 and Ep5? I'm sorry but with the exception of the Obi/Anakin duel in Ep3, the Jedi/Sith battles in the SWTOR trailers were more exciting then the real fights in the movies.

They don't use the force enough. Why not use Force Speed? Why not hurl debris while you are fighting with the lightsaber instead of separately like in Ep2 and Ep5? I'm sorry but with the exception of the Obi/Anakin duel in Ep3, the Jedi/Sith battles in the SWTOR trailers were more exciting then the real fights in the movies.

that goes with out question the fights in SWTOR trailer are amazing

i was annoyed in the Prequels how they could just wave their light saber around and deflect anything. That and the wearing of the robes.

In the Original Triology Obi Wan is wearing the same robes as Uncle Owen. So that means either while hiding from the Empire Obi Wan still wears Jedi Robes and so does Uncle Owen OR Obi Wan is just wearing the robes that normal people wear.

Somewhere along the way they got called Jedi Robes and EVERY Jedi wears them. It should be more like this game where the Jedis actually wear armor.

I think sometime prior to '97, George looked at the end of ROTJ again and went "Wait, so, Sebastian Shaw's wearing Obi-Wan's clothes. And Yoda's wearing tattered robes similar to Obi-Wan's. I forget what we had everyone else on Tatooine wearing in the first film, but they couldn't possibly look like these guys, right? Ben & Yoda weren't in hermit robes, they were wearing their uniforms! Perfect for Jedi-in-hiding! Anakin couldn't possibly be wearing the same clothes as Obi-Wan because he felt a renewed kinship with his old friend in the afterlife and there were really no alternatives in the wardrobe budget, could it?"

Luke's outfit in ROTJ was dubbed "a Jedi Knight's uniform" during production. To an extent, it IS somewhat like what many Jedi wear in the PT, except they have the whole big shirt with giant sleeves, not just a vest over a long-sleeved shirt (or onepiece suit, I forget which it actually is in ROTJ). PT Jedi clothes tend to be more billowy, and with a lot more layers up top. Luke's outfit, in many different colors and cuts, would've made a nice Jedi look that's more functional. Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon's boring beige outfits lessened my excitement for Episode I considerably. All the earth-toned robes got pretty dull, even though there were a variety of looks for them in the Jedi Council. Ki-Adi's was probably the most interesting one, but it still had the dull colors. Thankfully EU wasn't so restrictive in the color schemes (I loved getting blue robes in the first KOTOR) or attire in general (most of Luke's order, outside formal occasions)

Force Speed was barely shown in Ep1, and conveniently forgotten by Obi-Wan late in the same film to ensure Qui-Gon had a one-on-one with Maul. If Obi-Wan had just pretended there were droidekas behind him, he may have made it through the shields in time to aid Qui-Gon. I wanted to see more Force powers, too... I always wished Maul would've done some flashy move to knock the Jedi back, then spun and zapped them with lightning.

What I hate about the Jedi in the movies is they're so strict. I know that's what led to their downfall, being so blinded by their rules & rituals, particularly their views on emotions and attachments. Yoda's excuse of Luke's age in Ep5 was obviously a stalling tactic, but then we discover that even being 9 is "too old" in Ep1! We also took for granted that the Force could run strong in families, until we were told Jedi aren't supposed to have families. Even TOR is pushing that on us with most Jedi flirtations & romance netting us Dark Side points, though it's only a few centuries after Jolee Bindo proved to us that love & marriage among Jedi isn't always a bad thing.

is that they say "we cant fight a war for you"

and then they fight a war for you

is that they say "were keepers of the peace not soldiers"

and then conduct wars all alone with the help of one actual soldier who is controlled genetically by them anyway.

*** guys?

Force Speed was barely shown in Ep1, and conveniently forgotten by Obi-Wan late in the same film to ensure Qui-Gon had a one-on-one with Maul. If Obi-Wan had just pretended there were droidekas behind him, he may have made it through the shields in time to aid Qui-Gon. I wanted to see more Force powers, too... I always wished Maul would've done some flashy move to knock the Jedi back, then spun and zapped them with lightning.

What I hate about the Jedi in the movies is they're so strict. I know that's what led to their downfall, being so blinded by their rules & rituals, particularly their views on emotions and attachments. Yoda's excuse of Luke's age in Ep5 was obviously a stalling tactic, but then we discover that even being 9 is "too old" in Ep1! We also took for granted that the Force could run strong in families, until we were told Jedi aren't supposed to have families. Even TOR is pushing that on us with most Jedi flirtations & romance netting us Dark Side points, though it's only a few centuries after Jolee Bindo proved to us that love & marriage among Jedi isn't always a bad thing.

Who said Obi-Wan didn't use Force Speed?...All we see of Obi-Wan is him jumping up, and just starting to run before it flips to Qui-Gon and Maul and then when the fields come up we see Obi-Wan come skidding to a halt almost running right into the field. I mean...I guess I can give you the 2nd time, but the problem with that is the force field hall seems to roughly be about the same as with Obi-Wan and Jinn with the droidekas and the fields seem to come up every few seconds. Not to mention that there was a pit which if Obi-Wan used force speed he might have not been able to stop in time to stop himself from falling in.

Anyway the only thing for me that does kinda annoy me, is that some jedi were not really shown that much outside of the main jedi(Yoda, Mace, Obi, Anakin etc) well a few, but only for a few seconds.

is that they say "we cant fight a war for you"

and then they fight a war for you

is that they say "were keepers of the peace not soldiers"

and then conduct wars all alone with the help of one actual soldier who is controlled genetically by them anyway.

*** guys?

Actually no they didn't, only Qui-gon said that he said.

"I can only protect you, I can't fight a war for you."

Meaning HE can't fight a war.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Actually no they didn't, only Qui-gon said that he said.

"I can only protect you, I can't fight a war for you."

Meaning HE can't fight a war.

do you think he meant that he, personally, one man with but a single beard, could not fight an entire war against one million robots? i think he meant it a little more abstractly. obviously a single man cant fight a war.

do you think he meant that he, personally, one man with but a single beard, could not fight an entire war against one million robots? i think he meant it a little more abstractly. obviously a single man cant fight a war.

Well its what he said, guess he was trying to say that the jedi weren't one man armies.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

that's more of a cliche in Fantasy. Any time they have a prophecy everyone tries to avoid it but ends up fulfilling it in the end.

Like horror movies, those are especially cliche.

"Oh..the car broke down in the middle of nowhere."

or

"My phone which just a few minutes ago was working, suddenly has no signal."

or my favorite(which also annoys the hell outta me.)

"Hey the police showed up!" *Seconds later the police officer is killed*

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

The fact that they break their own rules.

Episode I Qui-Gon to Padame : We can't fight a war for you.

Episode III Geivous to the promoted Kenobi who is sent to end the war: General Kenobi. You are a bold one.

Honesty was the first responsibility that aspiring Jedi were taught.

Obi-Wan to Luke: Vader betrayed and Murdered your father.

After being caught in a lie instead of owning up to it Obi-Wan: What I said was true from a certain point of view.

Conquer Arrogance

Jedi were required to learn that, although they were able to use the Force, they were no better than those who could not.

Qui-Gon to Boss Nass using force persuade: We could use a transport.

Boss Nass : We sa give yousa bongo.

Qui-Gon to Wado using force persuade: Credits will do fine.

Wado : No they wont

Qui-Gon to Wado appearing annoyed agian trying to use force persuade: Credits will do fine.

Wado: NO THEY WON'T.

Honor Your Padawan:

A Jedi Master was required to know that they must treat their Padawan with respect. They should never reprimand his Padawan in public

Obi-Wan to Anikin in front of Padame and her Securty: You will learn your place young one.

A Jedi will not kill an unarmed opponent.

Mace Windu to Anikin with unarmed Palpatin on the ground : He is too dangous to be left alive.

Palpi: I'm too weak

Anikin : You can't it's not the Jedi way.

Mace raises sword

Palpi: Please Don't

Anikin:I need him.

Mace starts to bring sword down

Papli: Please don't

Anikin: NOOO !!

Anikin cuts off Maces hand.

Quoted : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Code

Edited by Diamonddug

...because they're extremely stupid.

"K so we at least suspect there's a sith lord in the senate....hmmm...well we shouldn't worry about it. senator palpatine just came in out of nowhere and got elected chancellor, and now the senate pretty much does whatever he tells them too. heh, it's almost like mind control! so we can ignore that problem."

That's because there has been many variations in the Jedi code. In certain eras of the Jedi order marriage was allowed, and sometimes under certain circumstances. Like how Revan, and Bastilla were able to become married (as long as Revan promised to not teach his teachings to other Jedi within the order), or like you mentioned in the new order that Luke had established: marriage was allowed. I forget the name, but there was a rogue Jedi order that allowed for marriage, as well.

The reason marriage was not allowed in most cases was to prevent family dynasties of force sensitives who inherited a strong connection to the force. This could lead to the dark side if those dynasties sought power over one another. This was prevented in certain times with strong regulations of marriage. Attachment is also a path to the dark side.

In SWTOR for example you can romance your companions to a certain degree. Just not fall in love with them. Which is perfectly legit in the Jedi code.

Jedi do not marry (with some exceptions), in order to avoid attachment and—according to Vergere—so as not to create dynasties of those strong in the Force. However, in many periods of the Order's history, such as the era prior to Exar Kun and in Luke Skywalker's reformed Jedi Order, marriage was not forbidden. That being said, celibacy was enforced in many periods of the Order's history.
Edited by EnsignSorrow