Does the Jedi Guardian Tank not work, or is it good?

DaveMcKnight

Hi, I'm getting ready to choose my advanced class for my Jedi Knight (almost to the Forge), and I'm wondering if the tank choice just has too many problems with it, considering the number of complaints I've seen on the boards about not being able to deal effectively with a boss. I ask because right before heading to the Forge, I came across the one Jedi who has you take out the Horranth hordes, and instrad of the Aspiring Knight Gloves that I was expecting, I received a pair of Sentinel's leggings.

So I'm just wondering, is the Sentinel the best option for later on? I ask only because I've always been more of an in-the-midst type of fighter, and standing off to the side casting healing spells isn't my opinion of a good warrior. But that's just me.....

A Gaurdian tank is one of the best melee tanks there are.

You will hear a lot of people complaining about this or that class being broken etc... But in the right hands a Gaurdian tank can be tough as s***... There's nothing really wrong with the class itself. but you gotta take the time to learn the highs and lows. But there are highs and lows with every class.

If, like you said, you like to be in the thick of it, Gaurdian tank is a good choice.

For PVE, the guardian has a lot of strong point for being the MT (main tank).

He has Enure which will give your healers enough time to heal you.

You have no problem of single target aggro, and since 1.3, you have almost none on multitarget packs.

Your Shield is one of the handiest there is, you can refresh it as long as you can use Blade Storm.

You have access to heavy armor.

You have a lot of Defensive CD that makes you nigh impossible to beat.

For PVP though, you have some major drawbacks comparing to Vanguard/Shadow Tank which is primarely a lack of on-demand CC or a heavy damaging burst... Whether be it a slow, a stun, you don't have a lot of crowd control to throw around. Damage wise though, you can deal some single target damage, and more if you are hybrid spec.

Now, if you are like me, you can compensate your lack of cc with at least high resistance through the use of Biochem stims, or you can do like one of my mate, and use grenades from the Cybernetic crew skill.

Edited by DallianWyrd

• 3 weeks later...

For PVP though, you have some major drawbacks comparing to Vanguard/Shadow Tank which is primarely a lack of on-demand CC or a heavy damaging burst... Whether be it a slow, a stun, you don't have a lot of crowd control to throw around. Damage wise though, you can deal some single target damage, and more if you are hybrid spec.

I beg to differ.

Full 31-immortal tanks get backhand, unchanneled choke, aoe mezz, and push (which can be used as a small duration cc-ish ability). Heck, if you pick up stagger, your leaps will root someone for 3 secs, and though it isn;t a cc there are many cases where that leap root is very handy (e.g. rooting an assassin ball carrier over the fire when he has popped force shroud!). Whats more, this does not touch resolve. Jugs also get an 8-sec aoe slow, which can be talented to be 0 cost. 18/23 tanks miss out only on backhand.

As far as defensive cooldowns go, the 18/23 hybrid (which I play) is the most tankiest AC I have played. I have a 50 powertech, and a 41 assassin also, so take my opinion for what it is worth. Jugs get:

** Invincible - 40% damage reduction for 10 sec every 3 mins

** saber ward - additional 50% ranged/melee defense, and 25% force/tech damage reduce 12 secs. Also with blade turning, first 2 secs are +100% defense. (3 mins cooldown)

** endure pain- max health increase by 30%

... use above with pvp medpack (35% max health heal) and intercede (w/ vindicator set bonus 8% max health heal) and you will heal a HUGE amount quickly

** enraged defense - 3% heal per tick of max health for 10 secs... and with 18/23 build, additional 15% damage reduction for its duration

** 20% damage reduction for 4 secs every 15 secs with charge (also 4 sec of cc immunity)

** We also get 52% passive damage reduction, ~7.7k armor, 27-30% defense (+3% w/ retaliate). Shield/absorb is much lower than the other two tanks, but it only accounts for so much in pvp.

To perform damage reduction on target, we get intercede (6s of 20% damage reduce for target every 20 seconds) in addition to taunt and aoe taunt.

As far as damage, tank juggs/guards actually have cr@p damage.... hits like a wet noodle. Even in the hybrid spec, it isn't that great. But as long as you keep to a tanking role, damage won't matter as much.

I've hit 450k+ protection on my juggernaut tank, and I can honestly say it's the most tankiest AC under focus fire. Furthermore, vanguards and sentinels can beat on my healer all they want, I will render them ineffective. The trick is to recognize that your dps will be the absolute lowest in the game, and to not try to be a wannabe dps. So only choose this if you want to be a pure tank in pvp.

Edited by CBRGhostRider

Hi, I'm getting ready to choose my advanced class for my Jedi Knight (almost to the Forge), and I'm wondering if the tank choice just has too many problems with it, considering the number of complaints I've seen on the boards about not being able to deal effectively with a boss. I ask because right before heading to the Forge, I came across the one Jedi who has you take out the Horranth hordes, and instrad of the Aspiring Knight Gloves that I was expecting, I received a pair of Sentinel's leggings.

So I'm just wondering, is the Sentinel the best option for later on? I ask only because I've always been more of an in-the-midst type of fighter, and standing off to the side casting healing spells isn't my opinion of a good warrior. But that's just me.....

I changed my guardian's spec to defense and got him the best shield I could buy for his level and found his survivability went WAY up. I can't speak to the pvp, fp, ops or hm aspects as I don't do any of them but in pve I've enjoyed it as there was only one enemy I couldn't beat

• 2 weeks later...

From my personal observations I'd say:

Van/PT > Shad/Assas > Guard/Jugg

I have a level 50 in each and have completed all content with each. Though in terms of enjoyment of each one:

Guard/Jugg > Shad/Assas > Van/PT

Van/PT is just plain too easy to Tank with and requires so damn little input. Shad/Assas is a slight step up, but with Guard/Jugg I feel like I have to work and think about what I am doing and what abilities I should use and when. It's a lot of fun.

Edited by stephenjohnp

the first time i rolled a JK, i went with the sentinel. it was alright. nice damage, but squishy as a pillow. i got her past chapter one, but then kinda let her sit. later, i decided to try a guardian tank. i must say, i quite enjoy this class more than i expected to. i absolutely love my guardian.

now, i have a level 50 guardian, powertech, and shadow (all tanks). i agree with stephenjohnp that the guardian is the toughest to play (though i would put shadow/assassin tank as easiest in my experience). but that's probably why i like the guardian the best.