Thank You GSF and Pilots

Svarthrafn

I PVP'd an awful lot, so I just hopped into a ground PVP warzone queue to see what I have been "missing" since GSF released.

WOW. Apparently all of the hardcore PVPtards and Gearqueers are still lining up to play, while most of the cool players have moved over to GSF for now. Needless to say, I won't be hopping into a ground pvp queue for quite some time.

So thank you GSF for your skill-based gameplay, and thank you to all of the cool players I have been flying with for the past week. The community can really make or break a game mode, and you guys are awesome for the most part.

See you in space!

I PVP'd an awful lot, so I just hopped into a ground PVP warzone queue to see what I have been "missing" since GSF released.

WOW. Apparently all of the hardcore PVPtards and Gearqueers are still lining up to play, while most of the cool players have moved over to GSF for now. Needless to say, I won't be hopping into a ground pvp queue for quite some time.

So thank you GSF for your skill-based gameplay, and thank you to all of the cool players I have been flying with for the past week. The community can really make or break a game mode, and you guys are awesome for the most part.

See you in space!

yep, i love gsf since it lets me out-skill based out play other players.

This makes me wonder if they would ever consider applying a GSF make over or add on to ground pvp.

That is: something based a little more on twitch skills over cool down management, acquiring new gear only means further customization of a play-style rather than linear power boosts, and - most of all - roles that are not PvE elements shoehorned into a PvP environment.

This makes me wonder if they would ever consider applying a GSF make over or add on to ground pvp.

That is: something based a little more on twitch skills over cool down management, acquiring new gear only means further customization of a play-style rather than linear power boosts, and - most of all - roles that are not PvE elements shoehorned into a PvP environment.

Interesting point. Would they be in separate queues? If so, how would they communicate? GSF pilots providing ground support to ground PvP would absolutely rock though.

I think the next stage of GSF gameplay evolution will be true grouped squadrons; and BW won't have to do a thing to the mechanics. Which will lead to more role management. Which is exactly what the upgrade paths are set up for.

True pwnage in GSF occurs when a team of solo pilots goes up against a team of organized and communicating pilots. The best kills I've been a part of were me getting lit up... where I had to outmaneuver 3 attackers who were flying tight & right. I say best kills because by the time they finally got me the sat was ours. Three on me meant two less for everyone else. It took "tail between the legs" skill - not gear - to make that happen.

CD management is tricky, and just one more thing the pilot has to be aware of. I club raced with the SCCA as a hobby for years. Cockpit awareness at speed in a crowd is an exhilarating lesson in twitch-quick multitasking. While GSF will never compare to racing at 150mph, for a video game it mimics a lot of the qualities of a high speed chess match on wheels. The pilot should be busy. Just think about how crazy GSF would be if it was a true flight sim, where every trim and control had to be managed while dogfighting!

Edited by GalacticKegger

So crazy, pretty much nobody would play it.

yep. it's not like Warthunder's historical real battles mode isn't popular as ****.... OH WAIT...

it's not like backers have poured millions of millions of dollars into STAR CITIZEN

O WAIT...

*Doctor Cox voice*

do you ah see...

where ahm ah going

with thees?

yep. it's not like Warthunder's historical real battles mode isn't popular as ****.... OH WAIT...

it's not like backers have poured millions of millions of dollars into STAR CITIZEN

It's not like these two games are actually MMORPGs with a space combat minigame. Or is it? Of course hardcore aces will like these more. But here we have our small arcade shooty shooty, I don't want to care about cooling liquid pressure and stuff, just fly and shoot, fly and shoot.

Edited by Slivovidze

I've noticed that the 'normal' pvp queues are mostly full of the people that had top notch gear and always owned the warzones before GSF launched. I think they dont like the fact that all of their "hard work" getting super gear so they can faceroll people doesnt help them at all in starfighter combat.

I've noticed that the 'normal' pvp queues are mostly full of the people that had top notch gear and always owned the warzones before GSF launched. I think they dont like the fact that all of their "hard work" getting super gear so they can faceroll people doesnt help them at all in starfighter combat.

Actually these same people have high levelled up gunships, no skill required other than 1 shot people from range true facerolling.

yep. geartards HATE space pvp cos they cannot gear their way to victory.

O WAIT...

*Doctor Cox voice*

do you ah see...

where ahm ah going

with thees?

Do those games require that every trim and control be managed in real time by the pilot to dogfight? Or are they relegated to cockpit eye candy? Edited by GalacticKegger

O WAIT...

*Doctor Cox voice*

do you ah see...

where ahm ah going

with thees?

That's two reasons BW would have to think long and hard before trying to step up the "realism". Warthunder and Star Citizen are headed by some pretty talented veterans of those genres. Competition would be tight and I wonder if the game engine can do much in way of decent physics simulation.

Interesting point. Would they be in separate queues? If so, how would they communicate? GSF pilots providing ground support to ground PvP would absolutely rock though.

I haven't thought about mixing the two but a twitch based ground PvP built around the same mechanics as GSF would mesh much better than the current ground PvP would. I suppose they might just queue up separately but mixed ground/air pvp would randomly pop and just take 6 players from the ground queue and 6 from the air queue.

That's two reasons BW would have to think long and hard before trying to step up the "realism". Warthunder and Star Citizen are headed by some pretty talented veterans of those genres. Competition would be tight and I wonder if the game engine can do much in way of decent physics simulation.

it does hawever prove there IS a market, contrary to douche exectives wishful thinking that nearly killed off the genre, and GSF has already shown BW that they CAN make profits out of SPACE COMBAT

I have full min /maxed obroan and a half mastered Scout ship. It doesn't bother me one bit my pvp gear doesnt affect space.(as it shouldnt.) I play both am decent at both and will continue do both.

As for people who were always getting steam rolled in pvp by experienced players...Im glad ya'll are having some fun with GSF, because now warzones have been awesome. Im talking 5-6 huttball scores, winning by 1 point on Civill war. Voidstar going its full length.

It seems there are less whiny people and poor players in ground pvp. Just the people with experience, skill and gear.

Bads will always complain.

Edited by SwiftDuck

I have full min /maxed obroan and a half mastered Scout ship. It doesn't bother me one bit my pvp gear doesnt affect space.(as it shouldnt.) I play both am decent at both and will continue do both.

As for people who were always getting steam rolled in pvp by experienced players...Im glad ya'll are having some fun with GSF, because now warzones have been awesome. Im talking 5-6 huttball scores, winning by 1 point on Civill war. Voidstar going its full length.

It seems there are less whiny people and poor players in ground pvp. Just the people with experience, skill and gear.

Bads will always complain.

yeah. now the players who don't suck are happily farming the bads in space, who cannot into flying, let alone CAM.

it does hawever prove there IS a market, contrary to douche exectives wishful thinking that nearly killed off the genre, and GSF has already shown BW that they CAN make profits out of SPACE COMBAT

Oh yeah, there's definitely a market for the deeper sim. I don't deny that at all. But I argue that War thunder was built with the heavy realism mode in mind first, then pared away modeling features until they got to their arcade mode. GSF is starting from the other end with the arcadish control scheme and pseudo-roll based hit detection. It would take MUCH more time and resources for them to develop more robust physics models and true location based hit-detection.

For me this would also be awesome.

But I would much rather GSF devs focus on improving the direction they're heading in now. Build on the tech and the foundation they have already. Adding a realistic sim mode would be making a 90 degree turn just to climb a different steep mountain that others have started on years earlier.