8/2 - PVE Sniper community questions

paowee

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PM'd you my first-pass revisions for the PvE questions.

And my votes!

PvE 11

PvP 3

General: PvP 10

thanks sands! it's been a busy past couple of days for me. i will go check them now.

What we have so far

PVE

Question 3 - 9

Question 5 - 7

Question 8 - 6

Question 11 - 4

Question 12 - 1

Question 10 - 1

Edited by paowee

Popular PVE questions

#3 about Lethality vs Hybrid careof SandsS - 9

Old - There seems to be an DPS imbalance between a 5/18/23 ybrid spec and full lethality. Are these 2 specs performing according to their intended DPS? [Other version of question:] A specific 3/23/26 hybrid spec appears to be quite popular at current due to higher dps. In your play tests, do you have any numbers that support this theory in comparison to numbers for full lethality snipers?)

New(?) - A specific 5/18/23 hybrid spec appears to be quite popular at current due to higher dps. In your play tests, do you have any numbers that support this theory in comparison to numbers for full lethality snipers? Is Lethality in a good place right now in relation to the Hybrid and what, if any concerns, do you have about balance?

#5 http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6535681&postcount=13 AngelsFlutterSky - 7

Old - Engineering: Is there chance it could receive some additional alterations to make it more viable for all end-game content, or was it your intention for it be more limited in its end-game execution compared to other specs?

New - Engineering PvE Viability careof SandsS

Engineering snipers currently use a strategy of rolling Cluster Bombs to target a large or predictable boss. However, this strategy becomes unworkable when encountering less predictable opponents like Kephess the Undying or multi-target fights like Cartel Warlords and Dread Master Styrak. Engineers tend to fall behind Marksman and Lethality snipers in situations when they are unable to set up Cluster Bombs. Tight DPS requirements to clear Nightmare Operations can lead to players feeling forced to choose the “safer” option and switch to Marksman or Lethality, instead. What are your views on this perception of the Engineering sniper? How would you assess the Engineering sniper’s PvE performance – both strengths and weaknesses – in relation to Marksman and Lethality, and what might be done to address those weaknesses?

#8 http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6599141&postcount=20 Synavix - 6

Old - A lot of work has been done to shift the emphasis away from PvP grinding for the sake of PvE gearing with recent changes made to many relics. However, many Snipers and Gunslingers are still finding it far more advantageous to stack a 2 piece PvP set bonus along with their 2 piece PvE set bonus. The PvP set bonus not only provides more DPS in most single target situations, but provides significantly more utility in giving our best AoE a longer uptime... Our 4 piece PvE set bonus, on the other hand, is almost useless for every spec except for pure Lethality... Are there any plans to (once again) rework any of the set bonuses with a future tier?

New - retain.

#11 http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6604723&postcount=47 - 4

Old - How do you see the following specs compared to each other in terms of viability, strengths/weaknesses in high end content (HM, NiM Ops): MM, Engineering, Lethality, Engineering-Lethality hybrid?

New - Sniper Spec-Design

Marksman, Lethality, and Engineering are all unique skill trees with unique playstyles. What are the guiding design philosophies or goals for the performance of each tree? How do these goals change or evolve when designing for all levels of endgame PvE content, and how do you know if each spec is meeting those goals? Finally, where do hybrids figure in the design process?

Edited by paowee

Synavix's revision on the set bonus question is very good - detailed. I used some tricks in generalizing concepts.

What you could do with the top question in the running would be to retain the spec (and provide a link to it in TORhead!) and combine that with the better parts of my general phrasing -- designed to fish for information.

For the others, I think it'd be possible to further workshop them (and you have my revisions to those).

Edit: I'm particularly satisfied with my revision to questions about Engineering sniper PvE viability (I do a lot of endgame PvE and was able to provide the specific examples there).

Edited by SandsS

Synavix's revision on the set bonus question is very good - detailed. I used some tricks in generalizing concepts.

What you could do with the top question in the running would be to retain the spec (and provide a link to it in TORhead!) and combine that with the better parts of my general phrasing -- designed to fish for information.

For the others, I think it'd be possible to further workshop them (and you have my revisions to those).

Edit: I'm particularly satisfied with my revision to questions about Engineering sniper PvE viability (I do a lot of endgame PvE and was able to provide the specific examples there).

I dont think i have any of the revisions for the other questions :|

Hurr. I did a bit more fiddling with this one, anyway.

Engineering PvE Viability

Engineering snipers currently use a strategy of rolling Cluster Bombs to target a large or predictable boss. However, this strategy becomes unworkable when encountering less predictable opponents like Kephess the Undying or multi-target fights like Cartel Warlords and Dread Master Styrak. Engineers tend to fall behind Marksman and Lethality snipers in situations when they are unable to set up Cluster Bombs. Tight DPS requirements to clear Nightmare Operations can lead to players feeling forced to choose the “safer” option and switch to Marksman or Lethality, instead. What are your views on this perception of the Engineering sniper? How would you assess the Engineering sniper’s PvE performance – both strengths and weaknesses – in relation to Marksman and Lethality, and what might be done to address those weaknesses?

Edited by SandsS

And here's a reworked-for-PvE version of the PvP-version about balance between the three specs:

Sniper Spec-Design

Marksman, Lethality, and Engineering are all unique skill trees with unique playstyles. What are the guiding design philosophies or goals for the performance of each tree? How do these goals change or evolve when designing for all levels of endgame PvE content, and how do you know if each spec is meeting those goals? Finally, where do hybrids figure in the design process?

Edit: You might want to pull 'executive decision' and make sure the question about the roll gets asked. >_>;

Edited by SandsS

I'm still of the opinion that #3 and #11 both represent the same set of answer with #3 being a subset of #11.

#11 looks into all specs and forces Hybrid to be compared to all specs not only Lethality while #3 asks for a focus on the relation Lethality / Hybrid. And in the end both will cover the same base answer with #3 maybe receiving more details because both are asking about the current state of specs and their relations. #5 also dips a little into #11 but asks for focus on possible improvements for Engineering.

So the important thing to note here is focus: Do we want a more open/general answer or a more focused. Sadly we don't know how much time they'll have to answer, so possibly questions like #3 might get better answers.

I am still thinking if I can help with #11, possibly add a line to asks for a focus on hybrid vs the other specs (if that's what we want) or instead asks for a detailed view on the specs relations to each other.

And here's a reworked-for-PvE version of the PvP-version about balance between the three specs:

Sniper Spec-Design

Edit: You might want to pull 'executive decision' and make sure the question about the roll gets asked. >_>;

Actually this is very close to what I had in mind for #11, but I would add a line for them to also discuss the relation of the specs regarding performance in Live servers. Something in the lines of:

"What changed between design and Live performance for each of the four specs have occurred and how do you see their performances compared to each other?"

I'll cast my votes as such, noting that the first question is on row 3:

PvE= question 6 (row 8)

Wildcard= question 9 (row 11)

A note on question 9, if it wins wildcard, we can rephrase like so:

How do you see the following specs compared to each other in terms of viability, strengths/weaknesses in high end content (HM, NiM Ops, Ranked PvP): MM, Engineering, Lethality, Engineering-Lethality hybrid?

Sneaky, right? :cool: