Parsing, ability lag, and attacks per minute

Ssaffin

I've been doing some parsing and comparing to the top vengeance parses from the 2.4 dps leaderboard thread. I top out at about 200 dps lower than the top parses. When I look at the rotations and how hard their abilities are hitting, I'm doing the same thing they are. Then I noticed the APM number on their parses. The top parses are all at 37 APM and mine are almost always 35. When I parse, I always notice substantial animation delays, and sometimes get that bug where the global cooldown triggers, but the ability doesn't happen. I know 5-6 months ago, my ship wasn't as laggy when I parsed. My ping is very stable and stays at 48ms, so I really don't think it's my Internet. Also, when I look at those top parses, they all show up in French on torparse. Does that mean those people are on European servers, and perhaps they are more stable? I'm on The Shadowlands in U.S.

So is it likely the lag I experience on my ship is causing the reduction in APM and is there anything I can do to overcome it? I guess I could try a parse in the middle of the night when nobody is on and see if it makes a difference. I already have my ability queue set to 1 second in my preferences.

The APM is so incredibly high is because they are using the clip master strike trick, where you clip it right as the 3rd tick lands. This needs REALLY good latency. I know kisheksun has said he has some 15ms latency -_-

36 is your ballpark average APM.

I think you are right Lordbadtamaru. I went back and looked closer at Kishekzun's parse and he is definitely clipping his master strike/ravage early. Comparing his log to mine with no clip, it appears he saves about .5 to .6 second every master strike. Since the top parses have 18 or 19 master strikes, that's roughly 10 seconds of time he saves by doing it, and that is more than 1 APM for sure.

Now I just need to test and determine if clipping is possible for me without losing that last tick. Thanks for the info.

Its definitely a DPS gain but its not revolutionary. Most players will only be able to shave about .3 seconds.

Its kinda impractical on a boss too.

The most reliable dps will be stuffing your impale and shatter on CD 100 percent with scream as much as possible, while using ravage within the 6 second window. After that its up in the air.

Edited by lordbadtamaru

So here is what I found:

After practicing clipping my ravages, my typical APM has gone from 35 to 35.8, with some as high as 36.2. Before, my most common parse was about 3150 with 3255 being my best. Now, almost all of my parses are around 3250-3300. My best was 3379.9 dps (4m56.137sec on dummy) and it had 36.06 APM. So I can say with confidence that just clipping the ravages has added 100-120 dps to my parses.

Next is to try a few crit enhancements. I've been running all power up to this point because I run rage spec on 8 of the hardmode boss fights and don't feel like swapping enhancements everytime I respec.

Thanks again for your help Lordbadtamaru

The APM is so incredibly high is because they are using the clip master strike trick, where you clip it right as the 3rd tick lands. This needs REALLY good latency. I know kisheksun has said he has some 15ms latency -_-

36 is your ballpark average APM.

Have to disagree with you slightly here; clipping MS is a neat trick but does not require great latency. I play on 250-300ms and can consistently clip the 3rd tick. While it won't be shaving off as much time as if I had 15ms, I can still average to about 36 APM even with my latency. Just have to adjust for the ping you're used to and you'll be right.