Power Shot useless

otterscrubber

I have thought about this many times before and I have come up with an answer. The only logical reason to use this move would be to fake someone out during a duel or in a WZ. Since most interrupts have a lock out period, and you know which classes might be using that move, you can cast Power Shot with the intention of them interrupting. Once they do you're free to use Tracer Missile until their interrupt is available again. You can also do the opposite of what I said but Tracer Missile is better than Power Shot, it's better mainly because it never misses (unless a shadow uses Resilience). Other than that, there is no reason to even use the ability.

This is assuming you are using the Arsenal build of course. I have never played the right tree, but since the right tree is a burn tree and makes no real use of Power Shot, I am going to assume you aren't using that skill.

The better question is what is the point of Missile Blast. Now that my friend, is a useless move.

Edited by LiquidSix

Some arsenal users use power shot to bait interrupt.

The only time you'd use Power Shot is if you are doing PvE ops as Merc Pyro. But most people will respec as Arsenal for PvE ops. So the basic answer is *never*.

I didn't play my pyro for a long time, but we did use it in PvP too(if we haven't anyone on our back) in hopes to proc rail shot.

Edited by MelodicSixNine

I actually use Powershot a lot in pvp:

this is for 3 reasons:

#1 to proc a free rail shot

#2 it does more damage than rapid shots, so it's a great ability to use when you're nuking down someone on a distance (in group fights)

#3 I hope that they interrupt powershot instead of a more usefull ability.

I actually use Powershot a lot in pvp:

this is for 3 reasons:

#1 to proc a free rail shot

#2 it does more damage than rapid shots, so it's a great ability to use when you're nuking down someone on a distance (in group fights)

#3 I hope that they interrupt powershot instead of a more usefull ability.

Not to burst your bubble, but....

1) Proccing RailShot with PS is incredibly inefficient from a heat and success standpoint. And when you finally succeed, what did you accomplish? You just delayed your 2 RailShot burst move (RS/Unload/RS), which is your best combo in the game.

2) No, it doesn't. The damage from Rapid Shots is greater than from PS once you take into account the much greater chance of CGC proccing.

3) They'll just stun you instead, or push you back. Or cc you. Or Force Leap to you. The whole point of the current game is that everyone has multiple ways to stop channeled abilities. Even Mercs have multiple ways to stay channeled abilities. We just have less ways than anyone else. Because, you know, Mercs need to be worse than everyone else.

Wrong, Missile Blast is great for interupting node caps since it does splash damage on nearby enemys.

Hmm good idea. But I still think sweeping blasters is king of cap-stopping. I love it when people pile into the bunkers on NC. Its as if the bunker was designed around the size of an AoE target lol

And if we really want to get into it, Missile Blast "can be used" as an instant cast Tech attack when your ranged accuracy has been debuffed. Its still not worth keybinding...but technically that would be a legit use. Like when an opponent uses Obfuscate on you. -90% ranged accuracy. Rapid Shots and Power Shots will miss but a Missile Blast won't.

And as far as a use for Power Shots, all of the following must be true but when it is, I'll spam Power Shots:

1) All my main attacks are on CD

2) My heat is very low

3) There is no one attacking me

Edited by DarthBloodloss

i dont use, MB, PS or sweeping blasters and Power shot isnt useless its better than nothing when you can use it.. but for a merc its worth using a 4 pc for a RS increase.

Arsenals Mercs are better off using medic bonus and PVE Tm crit bonus in PVP.

Edited by Henu

i dont use, MB, PS or sweeping blasters and Power shot isnt useless its better than nothing when you can use it.. but for a merc its worth using a 4 pc for a RS increase.

Arsenals Mercs are better off using medic bonus and PVE Tm crit bonus in PVP.

I love sweeping blasters for stopping caps. Half the time I'm facing a different direction and so it can take the enemy an extra couple seconds to realize its me stopping 3 people from capping. Even though I'm 28m away and facing the other direction!

Anytime I'm on a melee alt and have to stop 2 people from capping, I miss sweeping blasters.

Of course its only the first tick on SB that's important. Sometimes I cancel it after the initial tick, unless the other team pulls the "I'll keep trying to plant until I die! technique". I find that I use sweeping blasters more than DFA since it deals its damage instantly, with no tiny delay like DFA. Not to mention that SB is low-key while DFA begs to be interrupted just on principle. (There's a dude flying and shooting rockets...get em!!)

Edited by DarthBloodloss

I love sweeping blasters for stopping caps. Half the time I'm facing a different direction and so it can take the enemy an extra couple seconds to realize its me stopping 3 people from capping. Even though I'm 28m away and facing the other direction!

Anytime I'm on a melee alt and have to stop 2 people from capping, I miss sweeping blasters.

Of course its only the first tick on SB that's important. Sometimes I cancel it after the initial tick, unless the other team pulls the "I'll keep trying to plant until I die! technique". I find that I use sweeping blasters more than DFA since it deals its damage instantly, with no tiny delay like DFA. Not to mention that SB is low-key while DFA begs to be interrupted just on principle. (There's a dude flying and shooting rockets...get em!!)

I understand how useful it can be but my personal game style is all about quick keys and i just dont have the spot for 1 more ability... going to be tuff when we get 5 more levels and some new moves :p

I understand how useful it can be but my personal game style is all about quick keys and i just dont have the spot for 1 more ability... going to be tuff when we get 5 more levels and some new moves :p

Yep true. Do you use a gaming mouse? I found that once I did, my Merc is the only toon I can actually bind all the abilities I want, and they are within reach / easy to use. That's not even possible on my Assassin or Mara! lol

Just having as little as 4 side buttons on the mouse (used with your thumb) gives you 8 extra hotkeys when you add in a +Shift modifier.

Sweeping Blasters is ok. I mean it has it's uses. Just rarely happens. But explain to me why Sweeping Blasters uses more resources, does less damage, has a smaller radius and doesn't snare its targets like Force Storm does. Everything Merc has is crappier than what other classes have.

Yea, its "ok" at best. And not for damage. I use it strictly for stopping a cap or bomb. Its great in those scenarios where you have maybe 2 or 3 defenders on NC, and the other team has 6 or so attackers. They are trying to ninja the base right in front of you, due to their numbers. Sweeping blasters can single-handedly stop any number of people due to being instant cast, instant damage affect, and spammable.

Or you know when you plant a bomb on VS, and 2 seconds later all 8 players on the other team come out of the spawn point and run to the bomb to disarm? All huddled up?

Edited by DarthBloodloss

You know you can bind keys with modifiers, i.e shift, ctrl and alt.

Bind some abilities that require you to stand still to shift+1-5. It's almost as fast as pressing 1-5, and since you have to stand still anyway, might aswell bind your movement keys the same way.

You know you can bind keys with modifiers, i.e shift, ctrl and alt.

Bind some abilities that require you to stand still to shift+1-5. It's almost as fast as pressing 1-5, and since you have to stand still anyway, might aswell bind your movement keys the same way.

I do this if you zoom in on my SS http://imgur.com/9lXudlb i have shift +1 -4 use E for knock back and razor binds are top right and Hutt ball pass is bound to R.