Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

I don't know how correct this is, but someone on another thread said it could have been something about either being IN game while doing the transfer via their account tab here and it caused the game to freak out. Or that someone else mentioned that they were able to move 7 of 8 characters hassle free, but had to create and then delete a new toon to make way for their 8th toon.

But as I said, I have NO idea what happened. Just speculation from people on another thread.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in the process of testing the fix and preparing for deployment, and we're working to make the downtime for this as minimal as possible. Unfortunately, it's not an issue that we can correct without some downtime. We're also eager to get back to opening up more transfers, but we can't go forward and risk subjecting people to this issue.

Thanks for the update on this. IMHO I'd rather this go smoothly when my server comes up either as a destination or origin server. I'm in the same boat as a lot of people with this and over 75% of my guild has taken a hiatus waiting for increased server population and patch 1.3. If anyone is having issues finding this, here is the latest list of servers Server List and here is an explanation of the issue that they are patching Maintenance Patch.

How about this BW?

Your transfer system was a bad plan and look, it has presented the perfect stopping point.

Man up and do forced server merges, I don't care if people want to stay on Veela with a grand total 12 republic members logged on. Stop catering to those foolish enough to decline transferring and merge your servers.

A simple way to view this is as such: would you prefer them to rush everything so that everyone who complains on the forums is temporarily satisfied, but with the very high probability of things going horribly wrong? Or would you prefer them to slowly roll everything out, fixing encountered bugs as they go along so that every successive transfer runs that much better? The answer is pretty simple. We've been playing this long, I don't think another week or two is going to kill anyone.

As for mergers, do you have any idea how incredibly complicated mergers are compared with transfers?

These forums are littered with people who do nothing but complain. I think BioWare has done an incredible job. Yeah, the game ain't perfect, but few are and MMOs never are, but they have responded rather quickly to major issues and concerns. The reason we're in this position in the first place is because people complained and yelled, then BioWare did a good thing to try and remedy that issue by creating more servers... I'd say it's ironic, but that would be claiming that I'm surprised that the same people who cried foul play when servers were full are the same ones that are sobbing because they haven't been picked to move to a more crowded server.

Edited by LeGoat

• Dev Post
Is the quantity of servers listed today approximately what we can expect on a daily basis going forward?

The quantity will very likely change as we monitor the transfer process, so I can't really give a good estimate right now. We'll be adding new origin and destination servers with the goal of ensuring that destination server populations are healthy. This may mean sending more origin servers to a destination or opening up new destinations. Because of the nature of the process, it's hard to predict how many we will during a specific timeframe.

Edited by AllisonBerryman

:( Been waiting for these transfers for awhile now, but now I know that you will be treating us like refugees during the transfer process, not so happy about it. I have a guild that I love and friends on this server, but when they are not on, it is a ghost town for social play...that has been a problem for awhile now especially when I want to buy or sell gear/weapons, do more challenging flashpoints, etc. If you are just throwing us at servers like darts, we can't bring what little social unity we have been able to muster while customers bled away and servers emptied out. I would say that is a pretty unfair way to treat the people holding on, inviting friends in, all without even being able to use the auction. Now I guess it will be reroll and throw away all the hard work I put into my toons and the money I pumped into my guild, expect someone else to do the same for me, or continue to suffer SWTOR ghost servers. Seems like you are punishing players who have been around since the beginning to profit those that just got here and I am sorry, but this is exactly why you are losing so many customers in the first place-foster your relationships with the faithful before you convert more. I really love this game, but I like many I have already talked to about this, I will likely go back to WoW.

For those of you that are currently eligible for character transfers, in order to prevent this rare issue from occurring, please log out of your current game session before you initiate the character transfer process.

Guys, there is obviously some issue with transferring characters if you are logged in to the game, and they won't add more servers until they secured it. Is that really worth all this whining? I can't believe all the complaining going on here, things like that bring out my inner fanboi ;)

Mental note: if any MMO maker offers me a job...RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Edited by JohanGill

The quantity will very likely change as we monitor the transfer process, so I can't really give a good estimate right now. We'll be adding new origin and destination servers with the goal of ensuring that destination server populations are healthy. This may mean sending more origin servers to a destination or opening up new destinations. Because of the nature of the process, it's hard to predict how many we will during a specific timeframe.

Thank you.

Is there a target time frame to try and complete this process? Are we talking in terms of a week? A month?

I would just like to know the upcoming Origin servers. I don't need to know the destinations yet (i know you guys don't want anyone tampering with the destination servers if you give full details.).

I would like to be able to inform my guild ahead of time and find out who will continue or not.

Let's call this what it really is, it's not a "character transfer"... Its server merges. If the player base is not given a choice aside from ONE server... its a merge.:mad:

Not even a standard merge, but an OPTIONAL merge. What about the people who elect not to transfer? Or the people with toons on the "select servers" who are currently unsubbed? Seriously, it's an example of a fuster-cluck at its finest.

I shouldn't be punished for re-rolling to a different server. As it stands there is still no way for me to combine my characters onto one server. I re-rolled because my server was dead ... this was well before Bioware made any announcement on transfer policies / server types. So, because my original server was RP-PVP and the server I re rolled to is just PVP I am more than likely going to get screwed over. My options were to either play alone on a dead server, re-roll or un-sub. I chose to keep playing because I genuinely LOVE the game. So if BW can't make the process simple for someone like me who has been here paying since day 1 then they are telling me I am not important thus neither is my business. Let's say they allow me to move my characters over for a fee of $5 per character ... That will end up costing them $15/Month for the next 2 - 3 years easily. When I find an MMO I stick with it for YEARS.

Wasn't the obvious choice just to combine servers? Why give people the option to transfer to only one other server?

• Dev Post
Thank you.

Is there a target time frame to try and complete this process? Are we talking in terms of a week? A month?

We will continue the process of monitoring and releasing new origins and destinations as long as we need to. I know that's vague, but it really is a process that requires us to proceed by reacting to the data we have. When we can get more specific, we will (it's always the goal to give details as soon as we're able to), but right now I don't have an estimate as to when we would be done opening servers to transfer.

When you say, "adding new destination servers," do you mean adding brand new servers? If not, will new servers be opened later as transfer destinations? Those of us who care more about keeping our names than playing on a more populated server would prefer a new server to on with old, unplayed characters.

We will continue the process of monitoring and releasing new origins and destinations as long as we need to. I know that's vague, but it really is a process that requires us to proceed by reacting to the data we have. When we can get more specific, we will (it's always the goal to give details as soon as we're able to), but right now I don't have an estimate as to when we would be done opening servers to transfer.

I guess we will have to accept that. However the very vagueness of this process is going to affect the data you are reacting to. Server activity is likely to be negatively impacted by people waiting around to see what's going to happen over an indeterminate period of time.

All of the whining in this thread is ridiculous. People keep saying, "4 servers to start with is completely unreasonable, they could at least do 10" and other such ridiculous claims. Honestly, it is completely irrelevant how many servers bioware posted at the beginning, this forum thread would look almost exactly the same.

"What?! Bioware only opened up 10 servers for transfer?! there's over 120 US servers!!! /ragequit"

Or, what if Bioware gave the from --> to and allowed (even flawless) transfers of 1/2 of the servers. Guess what, players from every single server NOT on that list would flock here and flame away.

Bioware has 3 options:

1) Start small, find errors (like the one encountered today), fix them so they affect the minimum # of players, and get a smooth transfer process, while getting bashed by everyone not allowed to transfer immediately in a "gradual over time" system.

2) Enable large numbers of server transfers and deal with the fallout of problems from large populations.

3) Immediately allow all servers to transfer resulting in population imbalances, large numbers of problems, and possible database crashes/losses. Even if THIS went smoothly, they'd have 1000s of players complaining they're not on the server they WANT to be on.

What exactly would you have Bioware do?! My server (Belgoth's Beacon) which averages maybe 50 people on empire side at peak was not allotted transfers today, nor were they promised them. I will be looking forward to transfers in the coming days when they're made available.

I would just like to know the upcoming Origin servers. I don't need to know the destinations yet (i know you guys don't want anyone tampering with the destination servers if you give full details.)

This, would be nice, it would allow us so much more time to plan these mergers, and to ensure all of our guild can get moved as things open up. That being said, if they are really treating this like a process and doing it right (one can only hope) that list may be changing on a near daily basis.

• Dev Post
When you say, "adding new destination servers," do you mean adding brand new servers? If not, will new servers be opened later as transfer destinations? Those of us who care more about keeping our names than playing on a more populated server would prefer a new server to on with old, unplayed characters.

We do not plan on opening new servers. The origin and destination servers will be chosen from the pool of existing servers. We understand that some players do not wish to undergo a name change, and aren't requiring players to transfer.

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate that you want to keep the down time as minimal as possible. However, the down time for my level 50 has been a few months now. I think its time we spread that burden and bring the servers down now: if the cats on Fatman shouldn't have their play time interrupted, why should the rest of us?

Yes, thanks for giving us some info, but honestly, some of us can't play right now anyway... better to get the patch done and bring the servers down now so that transfers can resume than to make people who already can't play the game wait longer and lose more people.