Why the Ecceles FP is Hard for me to Go Through

I simply must inquire to you, the star wars community - what is with this desire to kill the engineers by releasing them into space!? It's dumb, i know, but every time that cutscene plays I have to cut off my pc screen and audio. I just can't stand hearing people scream as they die in a cutscene like that. I guess I'm wondering why pick republic when you want to kill innocent bystanders? (and yes, i know they're computer generated.) Discussion on the choice you have in the conversation is desireable.

I simply must inquire to you, the star wars community - what is with this desire to kill the engineers by releasing them into space!? It's dumb, i know, but every time that cutscene plays I have to cut off my pc screen and audio. I just can't stand hearing people scream as they die in a cutscene like that. I guess I'm wondering why pick republic when you want to kill innocent bystanders? (and yes, i know they're computer generated.) Discussion on the choice you have in the conversation is desireable.

Republic at times is as evil as empire.....dark Jedi were not uncommon. You are approaching it from perspective that empire is evil, republic is good...which is simply not the case. Both sides have good and evil people...its just a choice you make as to with whine you would prefer to ally....

And the answer is why not....you always try to do the right thing in life, so why not mess around and have some fun in a video game....don't see how that's any different then Assassin Creed or any shooter...really...

It's not evil to kill them. A commander knows that sometimes, for the good of the many, he has to send someone to certain death. Doesn't mean he/she relishes that idea. True, it's a darker option than the alternative in game. But the first time you go through the FP, you don't know that the other option won't get more people killed. That's why it's called a moral dilemma.

The way I play, is I've turned off the indicators to know which response does which. This way I'm playing the game based on gut feelings rather than, I want to be light or I want to be dark. Try it, it's a lot of fun.

I personally hate the dark side option in this. It has literally no point at all yet people for some reason always pick it. I have had only one party that did the light side option, and you know what happens? You fight like two or three mobs. Narlock's group is fine, the engineer's don't die and Asara is still a *****.

Not sure if troll.

If not, I also used to cringe if that option wins. Now, I've seen it far too many times to care.

Not that you will see this as you are running Esselles and are therefore Republic, but during the Bounty Hunter class quests you get to converse with the Supreme Chancellor and his Jedi advisor.

The lack of regard for human life (other than their own) that those two display in that conversation is simply stunning. Put that together with some of the things that, as a Republic player, you will see if you choose to do the quests, and you will see that the Galactic Republic is not peopled solely by people who are good, do good, and put other people's needs ahead of their own. They just happen to be on the side that only tramples on individuals for personal gain behind the scenes out of the gaze of the wider populace.

"Sacrificing this poor helpless individual for the greater good? Well it is for my good, and that is greater than his so as long as I can get away with it, I will not think twice" seems to be the order of the day for the people in power in the Republic.

In that sense, this is quite a dark game - if you come in hoping for a simple, well-defined good versus evil story, you will be disappointed. This is not good and evil, it is not left and right, or right and wrong. It is them and us.

Why are you in a group that always picks that choice?

I guess you haven't done the Mandalorian Raiders flashpoint, because there is a similar lightside/darkside choice in that.

similar to a small extent - Nothing in the FP says you need to kill them. Plus the engineers there are clearly enemies since they hijacked the ship. Dealing with them one way or the other is a bonus to the interaction IIRC.

Edited by Sildroni

The development team did an excellent job designing a story with personal choices of light and dark. The story lines feel truly personal and make the players feel like the star of the show. I play a republic Jedi knight and normally only see players select the light side options. But I do agree not all republic personel you come across are happy shiney people of goodness.

To clarify, this was not an attempt to troll. Many of you make valid points. I agree, the games choice between light and dark is what makes the game. My main thing I was trying to ask was, why do people choose dark so often? Granted we don't ever get these choices in rel life with Little or no consequence, so i can see hy people would want to expirament. Anyway, I guess i'm too good hearted for some things. -_-

I do get intrigued by the notion that the notion that the republic is not good in its entirty, and that the sith empre has the potential to be good. I guess i'm too attached to the movies to grasp the concept just yet. what's weird is that i had no problem with the evil path in kotor... Quite inconsistant that is.

Black Talon has a LS/DS choice that actually impacts gameplay. Lightside gets you a boss fight with 3 linked strong mobs plus standard adds, Darkside gets you a single Elite/Champion that spawns standard adds over time that can be AoE'd or ignored.

DarkSide also nets you more droids to scavenge ;-P.

Ive never run Esseles so Im not sure if those choices have the same boss changing outcomes.

Choices have a bit of morality involved, but if you are a By the Book Imp or at all bloodthirsty - Choice one is easy. The second choice is a bit sticky - end it quick (with malice) nets DS points. Retrieve the target for long term incarceration AND definite torture nets LS points. Weird...

Its one of the things that makes playing a By the Book IA tough RP wise - Black Talon will net me 0 gain LS/DS points wise.

Edited by Sildroni

Light... And darkness. Wherever there is light - there is a shadow. Wherever there is darkness- there is small glimmer of light. That is the nature of yin & yang - The nature of the force. Even the purist of the jedi can fall. Even the darkest of te sith may once again see light. Remember this as you continue your journey. The force be with you brothers.

I think choices like that add to the amount of evil in the world. And I believe that our thoughts form reality. Which is why the thought of 500.000 people making this decision makes me feel uneasy.

Up next:

Dear Sir, can I have back my Kitten?

1 - Yes. (100 light side)

2 - No. Kill the kiiten by ripping out it's teeth and letting it starve. Then torture the girl to death with the Kitten's teeth. (100 dark side points)

And this is why I do not play Empire. Its disgusting, and there are too many Sith in the real world already.

They missed an opportunity here I think. There should be something major that is affected by the choice, more than what it actually does. The fact that there is no actual downside to taking the lightside option (as implied by the ambassador) makes this choice seem silly when you know the outcome.

The dilemma here is supposed to be that taking the light side option and running around to disable the thingies spread out around the ship to spare the engineers could potentially get more people killed in the long run. The choice is supposed to be will you willingly sacrifice some innocent lives to save a majority, or will you take the higher path even if it means more risk. But it affects nothing. The only outcome is the trip takes an extra minute or two. They dropped the ball on the other choice as well. It feels like there is no reason to leave the ambassador behind because as a player you know when the flashpoint ends you're all going to be fine.

Just feels like missed opportunities to me. I mean, compare that to the Black Talon where the choice to spare or kill the captain has a direct effect on the story of the flashpoint.

I've always picked the darkside option in esseles. (for the record I don't just pick an alignment and stick to it. I make choices on a case by case basis. There really isn't anything on the vendors that is so important I would sacrifice my enjoyment of the story for.) Here's why: My character doesn't know that everything is going to be all puppies and rainbows either way. Having to sacrifice a few to save many is not something my character would enjoy but they see it as necessary to save as many lives as possible.

My main thing I was trying to ask was, why do people choose dark so often? Granted we don't ever get these choices in rel life with Little or no consequence, so i can see hy people would want to expirament. Anyway, I guess i'm too good hearted for some things. -_-

From my experience...

I've ran the Esseles flashpoint 9 times, all pickup groups.

Jedi Consular Sage = 2

Jedi Knight Guardian = 2

Trooper Commando = 3

Smuggler Gunslinger =2

Out of those 9 runs, I saw darkside option being chosen on 3 runs with 1 run having two and two runs actually winning.

Breaking down numbers...

38 choices total for 9 runs.

33 chose lightside and 5 chose darkside (3 Jedi Knight + 2 Smuggler).

7 lightside won and 2 darkside won.

So from what I experienced, more people chose the lightside than the darkside.

Edited by Quiet

I think choices like that add to the amount of evil in the world. And I believe that our thoughts form reality. Which is why the thought of 500.000 people making this decision makes me feel uneasy.

Up next:

Dear Sir, can I have back my Kitten?

1 - Yes. (100 light side)

2 - No. Kill the kiiten by ripping out it's teeth and letting it starve. Then torture the girl to death with the Kitten's teeth. (100 dark side points)

And this is why I do not play Empire. Its disgusting, and there are too many Sith in the real world already.

Can I just say that not all the empire is all that bad. I look at the empire like the Germans in the second world war. You had your Wermarkt (sp?), the everyday soldier. And then you had your SS, the true evil gits. The normal german soldier usualy did not like the SS but they had a job to do, just like the allied forces.

There are plenty of instances that you come accross this on the empire side. I look at classes in this game lsuch as the IA like the normal german soldier who has a job to do and does not do things for the sake of being evil. You can see this plenty of times when you interact with the normal empire soldiers dotted around the worlds.