Differences between Jedi Knight and Consular

Black_Rabbit

Hi guys, I am not the biggest Star Wars fan, I yet have to watch the first 3 episodes while I have watched the original episode 4, 5, and 6.

I wanted to ask in relation to the movies, is there a real difference between Jedi types? I though you either are a Jedi or are not, is it ever made clear the difference between knight and consular, or is just for the sake of game mechanics?

Cheers

The knight is more about lightsaber techniques, where as the Consular is more about using the Force.

Think like Obi-wan is a Knight, Yoda is a Consular.

See, I see Obi-wan being consular because of his clothing, while Luke the Knight.

So I guess there is no actual reference in the movie, it is something they did for SWTOR I guess?

NO. There is not specific type of jedi.

-You are a jedi, then you you are a jedi. There is no title as councilor in the wars lore

-You are a sith, Nothing more except your title.

They said palpatine was a inquisitor but hes the only sith lord in the saga that uses lighting, who else are they going to relate that class to for the people who dont read lore.

Obi-Wan is most definitely not a councilor in my opinion since he rarely uses his force powers in combat.

I remember reading some lore that a few jedi masters found lightsabers barbaric, and would only use the force to defeat foes.

Edited by Adapterr

-You are a jedi, then you you are a jedi. There is no title as councilor the the wars lore

They said palpatine was a inquisitor but hes the only sith lord in the saga that uses lighting, who else are they going to relate that class to for the people who dont read lore.

Obi-Wan is most definitely not a councilor in my opinion since he rarely uses his force powers in combat.

I remember reading some lore that a few jedi masters found lightsabers barbaric, and would only use the force to defeat foes.

didn't dooku use lightning?

-You are a jedi, then you you are a jedi. There is no title as councilor the the wars lore

So in a way a Knight are the more modern versions of Jedi?

I was only assuming that about obiwan because he only wears robes, while Luke wears pretty much anything with pants, even soldier's armour.

Edited by Black_Rabbit

didn't dooku use lightning?

Lol, pwnd me. yah i forgot about that. He was also considered a top duelist in the order, they said he could only be defeated by a select few jedi in a dual, including master yoda and mace windu, it made me so sad to watch anakin just swipe him down.

Jedi Knights are more fighters than the Consular. Consular are scholars, and tend to try to solve situations diplomatically, while Jedi Knights would tend to use physical force to solve problems. At least in-game. As far as movies are concerned, I think all Jedi are taught to really use restraint when dealing with intense situations.

Jedi Knights are more fighters than the Consular. Consular are scholars, and tend to try to solve situations diplomatically, while Jedi Knights would tend to use physical force to solve problems. At least in-game. As far as movies are concerned, I think all Jedi are taught to really use restraint when dealing with intense situations.

Ya I think they are supposed to tune their emotions out. Would be funny to see Jedi charging into battle frothing at the mouth screaming curses though.

Ok this is a question sparked by the fact that Lucas didn't pay any attention to what people had created with his lore when he set out to make the most recent films. This is partly because the first one aired before this section was actually added to the lore. In the original movies saber colors meant nothing it was just Lucas' way of telling the idiots in the audience (not everyone just the select few who wouldn't have gotten it otherwise) who the good and the bad guys are.

Bioware took it a step farther, for Knights of the Old Republic (and those of you who haven't played it should) they create a caste system of sorts telling you the roles each type of jedi play in the universe. These roles are suited to the jedi's personality. You choose to be a guardian, one who focuses on saber skills and martial matters, choosing force over finesse. You could also choose to be the Consular, one who uses the force and diplomacy to solve issues. Consular's usually are very in touch with the force and its workings and are likely to go with the flow of where they think the force is leading them. Sentinels are a middle ground. They are apt in the force and martial skills alike. They aren't as good at either as the ones who specialize, but they are more versatile. Consulars become scholars, diplomats, and counsel members. Guardians are military leaders, body guards, and linesmen. Sentinels stay the middle.

As such we cannot evaluate which a jedi from the movies is based on their clothes or their saber color. For instance Yoda is obviously a Consular, it just so happens he has the green saber. Windu is a sentinel, he uses his saber as much as his control of the force. Obi wan is a guardian he rarely uses his control of the force and prefers his saber. Same for Anikin. Luke is a problem to categorize he was taught by a guardian and a consular. He far to often leans towards one or the other practice depending on who is writing him at the time. In the zahn books he is a sentinel, and rather well balanced despite using a blue saber.

There isn't too much of a difference. All Jedi can use the force as a way to manipulate objects or situations but there are some Jedi who are more sensitive to the force and are able to command it on a higher level.

Yoda would be considered a Consular while Obi-Wan would be a knight.

The different classes of Jedi (and Sith) were originally developed for the Star Wars D20 Pen and Paper RPG released back in 2000 by WoTC.

Bioware adapted the classes for their own use when they released Kotor in 2003 and have pretty much stuck with them in one form or the other over the years.

Ok this is a question sparked by the fact that Lucas didn't pay any attention to what people had created with his lore when he set out to make the most recent films. This is partly because the first one aired before this section was actually added to the lore. In the original movies saber colors meant nothing it was just Lucas' way of telling the idiots in the audience (not everyone just the select few who wouldn't have gotten it otherwise) who the good and the bad guys are.

Bioware took it a step farther, for Knights of the Old Republic (and those of you who haven't played it should) they create a caste system of sorts telling you the roles each type of jedi play in the universe. These roles are suited to the jedi's personality. You choose to be a guardian, one who focuses on saber skills and martial matters, choosing force over finesse. You could also choose to be the Consular, one who uses the force and diplomacy to solve issues. Consular's usually are very in touch with the force and its workings and are likely to go with the flow of where they think the force is leading them. Sentinels are a middle ground. They are apt in the force and martial skills alike. They aren't as good at either as the ones who specialize, but they are more versatile. Consulars become scholars, diplomats, and counsel members. Guardians are military leaders, body guards, and linesmen. Sentinels stay the middle.

As such we cannot evaluate which a jedi from the movies is based on their clothes or their saber color. For instance Yoda is obviously a Consular, it just so happens he has the green saber. Windu is a sentinel, he uses his saber as much as his control of the force. Obi wan is a guardian he rarely uses his control of the force and prefers his saber. Same for Anikin. Luke is a problem to categorize he was taught by a guardian and a consular. He far to often leans towards one or the other practice depending on who is writing him at the time. In the zahn books he is a sentinel, and rather well balanced despite using a blue saber.

Thanks, I think I have a better understanding now, however, you say Yoda being Consular, true, but doesn't he start jumping gall over the place and fighting with his lightsaber at some point, which actually means he can fight just as well as a knight? (Maybe he is dual-specced :) )

Seems to me the Knight/Consular split is there mostly to serve as a game mechanic, and to provide more interesting specialization choices for players. I don't think its very easy to draw comparisons and apply gaming splats to characters from the films. In the games, its seems there's a strong split between consular=magic/ranged attacker/mystic/scholar, knight=melee/lightsaber/all around tough guy. In a movie, you can afford to give a character powers from both areas if it serves the story.

Awesomeness and the truth

I don't know how to describe it any more clearly, except on the KoTOR Sentinel and the TOR sentinel. Sentinel has always been the odd one out in the discussion and gets misconstrued a lot. In KoTOR his force powers and feat gain were average, but, his skill gain was higher. This meant the Knight could fight really well, the sage can use the force really well, but the Sentinel can handle all the tricky little details like locks, computers and repairs.

Lore area, skip if you want! The whole point of this was so that the sentinel could do it's job, Jedi Space police. They were the ones who spent most of their time dealing with the peoples of the galaxy and rooting out the Darkside. They were the starting step for most of the Jedi Watchmen and Shadows. Because they were the ones who so often dealt with people, Sentinels often did a majority of the recruiting. Lore Over!

In TOR they're like the Knight's kind of crazy brother, two lightsabers and a whole lot of fanaticism. Want to be a Knight who hits stuff more? Take the Sentinel Advanced class.

Wow.. sorry for the rant on a small issue... I feel better now!

:ph_cheers: