Lvl 75 Gate Splits Game In Two, Undermining "Play As You Want"

Joonbeams

Take a look at the article just posted. It doesn't mention anything about the character level. There will be Renown Crates, and they will be viable from Rank 1 (which is nice). But it doesn't say whether this will happen at level 1 or not. I really hope others can see why having to wait for these until level 75 (again, where a level 75 character can be playing the exact same content as a level one player) will be bad for pre-75 game play. There's really no logic to block this off at level 75, given the way the game is now set to make all content viable...

I just posted a comment to Daniel's post about that article. Hopefully we can get some additional information. I can understand them wanting to keep things vague in the early stages, but there is a lot changing with far greater implications than just new set bonuses.

...long dramatic post...

• Just use an XP pack and/or level your toons during double xp.
  • Galactic Renown should allow you to achieve Tier 1 when under level 75, imo. This would prevent power-leveling GR. So I agree with you this far. It would be nice to level while I'm leveling.
  • What do you need to level GR for if you never plan to get the toon to 75?

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Not to be funny, but you do get a reward sub 75. You get XP, wich translates in new abilties every other level.

Not to be funny, but this is not reward enough to get people to play the content - which is why lowbie PvP (one of the most fun parts of the early game for me) are dead and you cannot get a queue for a lowbie match in a reasonable amount of time (if at all). Sorry, but he is 100% correct, they need to add incentive to lowbie PvP in order to make it a worthwhile use of your playtime as you are leveling up.

I saw one of the posts in this thread that made a statement, along the lines of gear drops based somewhat on current ilvl. So if my current ilvl is 254, which applies to most of my alts, then I can expect loot, crates, quest rewards, whatever to drop in range with 254ilvl.

It’s not a new concept, it’s current world of Warcraft. Using ilvl, to determine gear somewhat random gear drops, creates a slow rolling gate system. It’s hard to get a better piece of gear based on an average, ilvl, of your current gear. In such a system, you get just as much worthless 230, 244/248, as we get in the current system. Without real data, I can imagine we will all be saving up chuckle points, so we can slowly buy gear that is 262, whatever the next tier is.

Ilvl, is an average of 14 pieces. A current example, my alts have a right side legacy set, all 258, ie my main’s armor, ripped into a legacy set. All of their left side is 252, so 7 pieces of 252. 236 augs in all of it, for an average ilvl of 255.

Personally I prefer some token system where I can work for and buy, craft, whatever required, to get a better piece. First and foremost, this eliminates duplicates.

My Sage is still in her 242 implants, because the 252 bracers randomed 8 weeks in a row. Yes I know I can spend MDC and buy her 252 implants. That’s the point right there... it’s slow mode, to direct buy her 252 implants.

From what I read and saw, just change the names. UC is now chuckle points, and will ultimately be needed to get those last few slots. Loot drops based on ilvl, may be quick at first to get some better pieces, but it sounds like it gets back to what we have now, random, duplicate city, slowed gate based on ilvl.

Another peeve... now that most of my toons are gc300, BioWare is just gonna give it away, again. I earned tier 5 crates, fresh 65s, or 70s, or 75s get em for free. Yes, I know, there will be no tier 5, no GC. Now your fresh toons, want it from level 1.

Not About Gear

As to being argumentative, I felt as if you were. But then I saw this last part and I understand. So, on this we're cool. I'm not trying to argue, not trying to prove anything. I actually hope I'm wrong about my interpretation of the livestream. But again, I don't see how I can be clearer that I'm not talking about gear.

Even taking the parts you quoted that are "riddled" (i've edited them out for simplicity), I'm repeatedly talking about "RXP" and "currency". Over and over and over again: "RXP" and "currency." I actually went back and looked at the post and the only times I mention the word "gear" is in the section on "counter arguments" that I wanted to address up front. I don't see how it can be any clearer that I'm not focusing on gear than the fact that I don't even use the word. So again, this really is not about gear, other than the fact I suppose since this is an MMO - everything is about gear in some way. If that's your point, fine. Noted. But let me try again (since you say I've done a "very poor job") to explain what this is about.

Different Rewards for the Same Gameplay

Let me offer an illustration that you can think about over the rest of the post. Starting with GC (and especially with the Master's Datacron), you could take a toon, start it at level 70, and do nothing but base class stories from Tython to Corellia and earn CXP, UCs, crates, etc. just doing this content, i.e. without doing "endgame" content. Another player, doing the exact same content, but doing it at level 1-69 wouldn't earn any of these things. So again, 'endgame' and 'max-level' are not synonyms. The devs intentionally wanted people to be incentivized to play any content they wanted to in the game -- and that's a good goal. But doing the same content and getting nothing does not create the same incentives as doing that content and getting at least something. This made doing content pre-70 feel unnecessarily walled off, and discouraging.

The Base Game Playstyle

What Trixx, Lhance, and others have pointed out is that there is a playstyle out there (I'm not alone with it) that involves re-rolling toons and trying new things in the base game. For me, it's replaying class stories, leveling slowly, doing low/mid PvP. Low/mid PvP was one of the most fun parts of the game for me (as someone with very very little time to play) because I could try out new classes and styles while leveling. It's also worth noting that low/mids PvP requires a different set of tactical considerations, and actually is a unique gameplay option in it's own right from lvl 70 PvP.

That's what's kept me subbed since launch. If this isn't your playstyle, you may be unable to empathize. I know many people think of this game as the game after level 70 (usually for endgame "content" reasons). I get that. And understand it. But there is a substantial portion of the player base (not a majority prolly, but more than a trivial minority), that think of this game mostly as vanilla class stories, heroics, and mid/lows PvP. For us, the game kinda dies after reaching max level, and so we re-roll and start over. We enjoy this playstyle. But, like many, we also enjoy parts of the "endgame" so we'd like easily pivot to the endgame (where it actually would be more about gear) whenever we decided to use our currencies and not feel like our previous play was 'wasted.' This is quintessential "play as you want."

Why 5.0 Was a Step Backward for the Base Game

Now, recall the illustration above. The principle problem with 5.0--for my playstyle--is that there were new game currencies, rewards, ranks, and XP that were only available after level 70. To be clear, we've always had gear that was only available at max level (hence why this isn't about gearing), and we've always had content that was only max-level (hence why this isn't an "endgame" issue). What 5.0 did that was new, and IMO a step backwards, was that it: a) separated the ability to earn game currencies from pre-max level players, and b) actively discouraged playing base game content before being a 70 (for at least the reason in "a"). Which leads to the final point.

This Simple "Fix" Hurts No One

This has had a substantial negative impact on the game pre-70, particularly in low/mid PvP, but not only there. It made leveling to 70 feel like a chore, because, unlike pre-GC, you couldn't progress your toon. And this 'gating' doesn't do anything to make the game better for people of other playstyles, so it's one of the many areas where the fix I'm requesting doesn't harm anyone, but it could help some. I usually advocate for these. So my ask is to please make the currencies and RXP available from level 1....

So the only thing you could buy with the comms from PvP was deco items? You see, you can edit all day, but the point is, all the currencies that you lamented the loss of are directly tied to what? Gear. Specifically, end game gear, or you wouldn't be lamenting the loss of them, or even be bringing them up, since they've been gone for a very long time.

So you PvP from x level to cap for all those comms back in the day, what is it you were going to buy with them?

Or, you PvE from x level to cap for all those comms, and what is it you were going to buy with them?

The answer is, in both cases, "Gear", so explain how I'm supposed to buy into "I'm not talking about gear" when what you're talking about is literally currencies used to buy gear.

Its true that the game basically starts at max level when it comes to gear and this was different in the past. It would be nice to have this again.

However, as for PVP they will be introducing max bolster for PVP, which makes gear irrelevant. For PVE they have introduced the Masters Datacron, which will make you max level right at start, so you can basically play the story but already collect gear for max level.

Not to be funny, but this is not reward enough to get people to play the content - which is why lowbie PvP (one of the most fun parts of the early game for me) are dead and you cannot get a queue for a lowbie match in a reasonable amount of time (if at all). Sorry, but he is 100% correct, they need to add incentive to lowbie PvP in order to make it a worthwhile use of your playtime as you are leveling up.

Not to be funny, but if one is having fun doing something, how are they wasting their time?

I used to be way into amateur dirt bike riding. I took all the spills, all the thrills, and some of the epic fails associated with motor cross racing, but I never got paid, and I never considered it a waste of my time. I leveled my toons to 50 for HM FPs back in the day too, and never considered it a waste of my time. Despite the hyperbole about "nobody is playing alts", I've spent the majority of my playtime the last few days doing exactly that, working on alts, and working on alts that aren't even level 70. In a very literal sense, I did waste all of that time, however, I can apply that same reasoning to every toon I've ever played in any MMO or SP game since the invention of gaming, and I can do that because, as an entertainment medium, that's precisely what gaming is supposed to do, waste some time.

Back in the day of Planetary comms, I wasn't upset that I wasn't getting Corellia comms on Tython or Korriban. Then all the comms were merged into one set, and then they were eliminated altogether. But for their entire lifetimes, in whatever state, they had one primary purpose, obtaining gear. So, in context with the opening post, what of it I could actually read, and the ensuing conversation, I'm still not seeing anything that convinces me that this isn't about not being able to bank currency from beginning to end for gear.

I am also curious how this system will work for lower levels.

When i run Esseles/Black Talon on my lowbie character, will the bosses be dropping me that new loot? And if they are will it be my characters level? And if i run same place again on say level 40 will i get lvl 40 new loot then? Or is low level activities loot going to be same than it is now?

Will i get those GR boxes when i am leveling? Will they contain armor of my own level or top level? If set bonuses are actually on shells does it mean i could get set items on lower levels (ofc having low levels mods in them at the time) and use them while i level?

It will be shame if Spoils of War is limited to just top level characters. It would make low level activities bit more interesting when getting new and interesting loot. :)

So the only thing you could buy with the comms from PvP was deco items? You see, you can edit all day, but the point is, all the currencies that you lamented the loss of are directly tied to what? Gear. Specifically, end game gear, or you wouldn't be lamenting the loss of them, or even be bringing them up, since they've been gone for a very long time.

So you PvP from x level to cap for all those comms back in the day, what is it you were going to buy with them?

Or, you PvE from x level to cap for all those comms, and what is it you were going to buy with them?

The answer is, in both cases, "Gear", so explain how I'm supposed to buy into "I'm not talking about gear" when what you're talking about is literally currencies used to buy gear.

What's In a Coin? (a play by J-)

Boss: "Congrats everyone! We want to make sure you all feel appreciated no matter what job you do here. And no matter whether you're a red vest, a green vest, or a blue vest. So starting next week, we're going to be offering everyone Happy Coins as rewards for their work."

Worker: "Thanks boss! What are Happy Coins?"

Boss: "Happy Coins allow you to purchase stuff from the shop, but especially Elixirs of Happiness (EoH). And we all know how much everyone loves EoH, amirite?

Worker: "You betcha boss, I love me some EoH!"

Grump: "Nobody cares about anything else but EoH!"

Worker: "So how do we get Happy Coins?"

Grump: "You mean, EoH don't you?"

Worker: "No, I literally mean Happy Coins."

Grump: "And by that, you mean EoH!"

Worker: :rolleyes: (look at this guy)

Boss: "That's the beauty folks. You can earn Happy Points for doing any jobs in the company. The more Happy Points you have, the greater the Happy Coins you can get for your work.

Worker: "So wait, Happy Coins and Happy Points?"

Grump: "You mean EoH - stop saying Happy Coins!:mad:"

Boss: "If you have 100 Happy Points and you do and hour of assembly line, you'll get 1 Happy Coin. If you have 200 Happy Points, and you do an hour of assembly line, you'll get 2 Happy Coins. Harder jobs earn Happy Points faster that easier ones too. We want you to be able to do any job here and get rewarded."

Worker: "This all sounds great! I'm gonna try out docking bay work with a blue vest, instead of my red vest! I'm getting bored with the red vest."

Boss: "Ahhh...that's the thing. If you change vests, you'll have to wear that vest for 75 days to get the 75-day badge before you start earning Happy Points (Or maybe not, we're not ready to say yet:p)"

Grump: "You mean EoH! Stop saying Happy Points! :mad::mad:"

Worker: "Dude, no one is talking about EoH. We literally mean Happy Points and Happy Coins."

Grump: "That's what I said, EoH!"

Worker: :rolleyes: (this guy). So lemme get this straight. If I work docking bay in this red vest, I will get Happy Points--"

Grump: "--EoH--"

Worker: "--I will get Happy Points right away no matter what job I do. But if I change to a blue vest, I have to wait 75 days to get Happy Points even if I do the exact same job I was doing in my red vest with the 75-day badge?"

Boss: (silence)

Grump: "Because endgame"

Worker: "Huh?"

Grump: "Sorry, wrong play. I mean EoH! Raar, everything is about EoH!"

Worker: "So that means if I want to work in the Garden of Happiness, I have to wait 75 days before I can start getting Happy Points for that?"

Grump: "Yep. You know you can't work in the Garden once you have the 75-day badge. Who cares about the Garden anyway?! I don't work there anymore, so who cares? EoH! FTW!"

Worker: "But I love the Garden. And all of the new guys work there. And boss says they want us to be rewarded for working anywhere in the company we want to work. But who wants to work there now if we have to wait 75 days till we can get Happy Points for it? If they got rid of the 75-day requirement, then we could really work anywhere we wanted."

Grump: "You know you're only saying that because you want EoH. That's the only thing you care about. For you, this is all about EoH. Because since Happy Points become Happy Coins and Happy Coins buy EoH, you must only care about this because you want EoH!"

Worker: "Wait whaaa? Bruh, you do realize I have every vest already, each with 75-day badges, and if this was about EoH, I could just swap into one of those...You know what? Nevermind."

Grump: "EoH, EoH, EoH, EoH, EoH!!!"

Tl:dr: The moral of the play is that Grump is unable to distinguish between the concept of wanting all jobs to be a viable path to Happy Coins from the concept of the utility of Happy Coins themselves once they're obtained. Would Worker's point change if Happy Coins couldn't be used for Elixirs of Happiness, but instead only for other items in the shop (like decorations)? Hint: No, it wouldn't.

Boss: "Congrats everyone! We want to make sure you all feel appreciated no matter what job you do here. And no matter whether you're a red vest, a green vest, or a blue vest. So starting next week, we're going to be offering everyone Happy Coins as rewards for their work."

Boss: "Happy Coins allow you to purchase stuff from the shop, but especially Elixirs of Happiness (EoH). And we all know how much everyone loves EoH, amirite?

Boss: "That's the beauty folks. You can earn Happy Points for doing any jobs in the company. The more Happy Points you have, the greater the Happy Coins you can get for your work.

Boss: "If you have 100 Happy Points and you do and hour of assembly line, you'll get 1 Happy Coin. If you have 200 Happy Points, and you do an hour of assembly line, you'll get 2 Happy Coins. Harder jobs earn Happy Points faster that easier ones too. We want you to be able to do any job here and get rewarded."

Worker: "This all sounds great! I'm gonna try out docking bay work with a blue vest, instead of my red vest! I'm getting bored with the red vest."

Boss: "Ahhh...that's the thing. If you change vests, you'll have to wear that vest for 75 days to get the 75-day badge before you start earning Happy Points (Or maybe not, we're not ready to say yet:p)"

Worker: "Dude, no one is talking about EoH. We literally mean Happy Points and Happy Coins."

Worker: :rolleyes: (this guy). So lemme get this straight. If I work docking bay in this red vest, I will get Happy Points--"

Worker: "--I will get Happy Points right away no matter what job I do. But if I change to a blue vest, I have to wait 75 days to get Happy Points even if I do the exact same job I was doing in my red vest with the 75-day badge?"

Worker: "So that means if I want to work in the Garden of Happiness, I have to wait 75 days before I can start getting Happy Points for that?"

Grump: "Yep. You know you can't work in the Garden once you have the 75-day badge. Who cares about the Garden anyway?! I don't work there anymore, so who cares? EoH! FTW!"

Worker: "But I love the Garden. And all of the new guys work there. And boss says they want us to be rewarded for working anywhere in the company we want to work. But who wants to work there now if we have to wait 75 days till we can get Happy Points for it? If they got rid of the 75-day requirement, then we could really work anywhere we wanted."

Grump: "You know you're only saying that because you want EoH. That's the only thing you care about. For you, this is all about EoH. Because since Happy Points become Happy Coins and Happy Coins buy EoH, you must only care about this because you want EoH!"

Worker: "Wait whaaa? Bruh, you do realize I have every vest already, each with 75-day badges, and if this was about EoH, I could just swap into one of those...You know what? Nevermind."

Tl:dr: The moral of the play is that Grump is unable to distinguish between the concept of wanting all jobs to be a viable path to Happy Coins from the concept of the utility of Happy Coins themselves once they're obtained. Would Worker's point change if Happy Coins couldn't be used for Elixirs of Happiness, but instead only for other items in the shop (like decorations)? Hint: No, it wouldn't.

So the only point to the comms was to have them in your inventory even when you weren't going to use them. We've been there and done that. "But I want to hit level 75 and buy all my gear for end game all at once" does not negate "the primary function of said comms was to get end game gear". This isn't a SP game, it's an MMO. Now I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but one of the primary functions of a gear treadmill is to keep players playing as long as possible, with an apparent goal in mind. Granting all the gear for one stop at a shop doesn't accomplish that goal.

As we can see from posts in this thread, people didn't play the content because it was fun, they played it so they could achieve one stop shopping for the prize. Hence "PvP was fun back then, but then they took away the incentive to play because no comms". Here's another interesting point: Being level 1 and having enough (insert currency name here) doesn't really matter. It translates to "Look at all this gear that I can't use until I'm max level". I'm not arguing that the system should only work at max level, I'm arguing that the premise of this thread is wrong, and why I see it that way.

IF I find (insert content here) fun, the rewards are a bonus to all the good times I had while playing it. I enjoyed tanking for my guild, from World Bosses to NiM Ops, even when I didn't win the roll on a custom mount, or a piece of gear that I actually needed. When it wasn't something that I actually needed, I had no issue with passing on a roll either. I had fun getting to that point, so it didn't matter. What that actually means is that, I am rewarded with fun for playing whatever way I enjoy, whether that's goofing off with the PvE space stuff, or NiM Ops, or running alt number 40 through the vanilla story. So even under the current gearing system, I'm not locked out of playing as I want, and so, under any other system that's similar, I won't be locked out either. It doesn't matter if I have all the currency in the world, if what I'm going to buy with it is beyond my ability to use. I have cargo holds full of gear on toons that haven't leveled to the point where they can use it, yet. It's neither adding to, nor taking away from my enjoyment of whatever content I'm playing.

Lol, I enjoyed this! I'm back and excited for the expansion. But we need to kick up PVP again in lowbies. This will help a lot if ppl don't feel like leveling is worthless. Devs, we need to start getting the new XP at level one!

• 1 year later...
TL;DR ..................

I've read posts like this before and all I read is "blah blah blah, game too hard/boring/not how I think BW should do things (how dare they, right?) now, want free gear without working for it or earn it" CXP was DESIGNED for max level reward from quests that would normally give you nothing but credits at max so it makes perfect sense for RXP to also not be available til new max level of 75.......Play your way means just that, play your way........shells are available to you at level 1 with more powerful mods/armoring etc available as you level.

With all due respect, all I hear is a RP/PVP'er complaining because they have to level to 75 and start all over with RXP... the whole point of any game is to PLAY IT. You're argument indicates you've forgotten that lil part.....just my 2 cents adjusted for inflation :-)

I Agree, New Level to achieve and they add some motivation to go for it. I appreciate the fact they still support and add new material to the game.

Considering the main Onslaught arc missions grant like a million XP (literally, I think it is 1M) which is nearly a level of XP each at 70, and it takes something like a day to get from 70 to 75 (tops), isn't this all a big nonissue?

The level cap raise was basically a mechanic to grant another Heroic utility slot and an additional skill. It's the least grindy five levels in the game after the starter planets.

Assuming you play the expansion anyway. If you don't, well, that's your choice.