Where is this going ?

OrionSol

I recently went to the community cantina event in Phoenix a month ago or so. What I realized from attending that event is that there does not seem to be any real plans, at least ones they are willing to discuss, about improving the game the way the community has been asking for.

Well.. duh.

What is lacking for me is a sense of connection to my environment, a way for me to have a real impact on the game world around me. With no sandbox, player housing, guild capitol ships et cetera…

OIC.... this is a cleverly disguised demand statement, more so then a genuine discussion. :p

So… I ask. Where is this game going?

If they did not answer to your satisfaction at the Cantina Event..... surely you can deduce that repeating the question here is largely pointless...right?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did read it and there is nothing there indicating they're even trying. NIM's? Space pvp? 1 new map for huttball? By any mmo standards that's almost nothing.

Yeah, guess you missed the part about two new flashpoints, biggest content patch ever , and epic conclusion that will leave the galaxy shaking. check reddit page for the data miner with more details.

Edited by Nickious

Yeah, guess you missed the part about two new flashpoints, biggest content patch ever , and epic conclusion that will leave the galaxy shaking. check reddit page for the data miner with more details.

And two expansions this year, one like RoTHC and one like GS.

Is that anything like last year's "Summer of TOR!"? Well there was a summer, and there was a TOR, so yeah... technically correct, I guess.

Yeah, guess you missed the part about two new flashpoints, biggest content patch ever , and epic conclusion that will leave the galaxy shaking. check reddit page for the ddata miner with more details.

Why, I did. And learned nothing new from that. Oh I'd just appreciate some honesty and would rather hear official confirmation that epic conclusion = swtor over / servers off / thanks everyone, sooner than later.

No one is saying change the whole game from Themepark to Sandbox. People are merely suggesting that some elements of Sandbox get put into the game. Ya know, to take a break from the themepark grind.

Absolutely.

"Sandbox" and "themepark" are not mutually exclusive. Adding elements of one has no affect on the other. In much the same way that if your favorite pizza joint added an octopus pizza, it would not mean you could no longer get a pepperoni one.

No, they are not mutually exclusive, but like anything in the game, it will take time and money to create said content. That means that is time and money that is not being used to develop Themepark content which is why I play the game. When I want to take a break from the grind, I go outside and read a book while watching my daughter play in her sandbox. Sorry, but if the choice between using the limited time and resources the development staff have is between adding Sandbox content or Themepark content, then I choose Themepark because that is what this game is and that is the content I enjoy.

Oh yeah? Where? Where, where and where is this playable content? Dev's either have nothing to say or say that something will be too difficult to code. We got Makeb which was a year ago and which playtime was artificially extended by adding amounts of mobs beyond any reason or measure. After that we got 1 freaking short story line on Oricon, a very tiny piece of playable content and that was it. But ofc, we get packs to buy on a very regular basis.

They want us to continue supporting them and what do they give in return?

The so-called main team, not the team that does this cartel stuff. What are they doing? What have they been up to? What? No one can tell, no one knows and they don't say a freaking word, not a single freaking hint. Because they simply have nothing to say.

All of which is irrelevant. If and when we get new content, I want that content to be of the type for the reason I play this game. Themepark plain and simple.

I did read it and there is nothing there indicating they're even trying. NIM's? Space pvp? 1 new map for huttball? By any mmo standards that's almost nothing.

I'm curious, does selective reading work like selective listening? Your brain tunes out while your eyes gloss over the page after a while?

Is that anything like last year's "Summer of TOR!"? Well there was a summer, and there was a TOR, so yeah... technically correct, I guess.

They're the ones who hyped their roadmap, not me. I assume they aren't lying when they say biggest content patch ever. Whether this is content everyone likes is completely different story.

Edited by Nickious

Out of curiosity, can someone please remind me how often WoW's "content patches" (i.e. expansions) are released (and that subscribers have to pay for), because it seems that whenever someone throws out "MMO standards" in an argument they really have no idea what it actually means. I find it quite interesting to note that in the 2+ years that this game has been active, there has only been one "content patch" that had a price tag on it (which it no longer does). Other than that, all content added to the game has been free. Edited by TravelersWay

Out of curiosity, can someone please remind me how often WoW's "content patches" (i.e. expansions) are released (and that subscribers have to pay for), because it seems that whenever someone throws out "MMO standards" in an argument they really have no idea what it actually means. I find it quite interesting to note that in the 2+ years that this game has been active, there has only been one "content patch" that had a price tag on it (which it no longer does). Other than that, all content added to the game has been free.

Kind of silly to bother if you're only going to label WOW's paid expacs as content and consider every patch SWTOR does to be 'content'.

Whew, you guys are sssslllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww!

I've completed:

Knight x2

Consular x4

Smuggler x1

Trooper x1

Warrior x1

Inquisitor x2

Agent x2

Bounty Hunter x1

Come on now, catch up! :p

Why 4 consulars ? Well otherwise we are about the same place for the 16 advanced classes , I have 5 characters left to go , but 2 are solo and 3 are grouped all above 41 :). I would challenge you to a race but then the grouped characters would be stressing my team mates out :).

As to Bran calling OP a locust that isn't the meaning of the word , a locust is someone who rushes through an MMO from start to finish really quickly and then leaves , the OP has been here a while it seems so is not a Locust.

As to the questions from the OP , you forgot chat bubbles.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Whew, you guys are sssslllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww!

I've completed:

Knight x2

Consular x4

Smuggler x1

Trooper x1

Warrior x1

Inquisitor x2

Agent x2

Bounty Hunter x1

Come on now, catch up! :p

Yeah, I've been here for two years. I have two 55s, and only completed the story for one of them.

Out of curiosity, can someone please remind me how often WoW's "content patches" (i.e. expansions) are released (and that subscribers have to pay for), because it seems that whenever someone throws out "MMO standards" in an argument they really have no idea what it actually means. I find it quite interesting to note that in the 2+ years that this game has been active, there has only been one "content patch" that had a price tag on it (which it no longer does). Other than that, all content added to the game has been free.

The gold standard would likely be City of Heroes. They launched major content patches about every 6 months and never charged a cent for any of them. Lone exception being the City of Villains expansion which nearly doubled the game's size.

And all content added to TOR has not been free. Most of it has been via the CM, unless you don't count armor, weapons, companions, customizing, mounts, races, pets etc as "content".

Edited by CosmicKat

Kind of silly to bother if you're only going to label WOW's paid expacs as content and consider every patch SWTOR does to be 'content'.

Why? I thought picking and choosing things and ignoring all else to support one's own argument was SOP for gaming forums.

The gold standard would likely be City of Heroes. They launched major content patches about every 6 months and never charged a cent for any of them. Lone exception being the City of Villains expansion which nearly doubled the game's size.

And all content added to TOR has not been free. Most of it has been via the CM, unless you don't count armor, weapons, companions, customizing, mounts, races, pets etc as "content".

Ahh, but is that THE "MMO standard?" Truth be told, there is no such thing as an MMO standard because just about every single game has followed their own standards for just about everything. Of course there may be things that players expect in a game, but again, that in no way indicates a standard - I have played just as many games without any player housing as those that had it in some for or another - which one is the standard?

Edited by TravelersWay

Yep, that gold standard was so successful for the publishers the game continued to grow and is performing stellarly today.

Oh. Wait. It's closed, isn't it?

Gee, let's everyone who actually enjoys playing SWTOR hope that BioWare is aiming for a different sort of measure of gold standard than did CoH.

Same old argument merits the same old response:

1.1 (1/18/2012)

- Operation: Karraga's Palace expansion

- New FP: Kaon Under Siege

- Event: Rise of the Rakghouls

1.2 (4/12/2012)

- New QoL: Legacy system

- New QoL: Customizable UIs

- New Operation: Explosive Conflict

- New Mission Area: Black Hole

1.3 (6/26/2012)

- New QoL: Groupfinder

- New QoL: Augment slots

- QoL: Ranked War Zones added

- QoL: All GTN terminals connected

1.4 (9/26/2012)

- New Operation: Terror From Beyond

- QoL: Dread Guard gear added

- QoL: Match color to chest added

- QoL: BoP and BoL items tradeable between grouped players

1.5 (11/15/2012)

- New Mission Area: Section X

- Event: HK-51 companion quest chain

- Operation: EC NiM added

- New World Boss: Dreadtooth

- QoL: Additional Cargo Hold & quickslot bars added

1.6 (12/11/2012)

- New WZ: Ancient Hypergate

- Space: Heroic missions added

- Space: Grade 7 artifact Starship Upgrades

- New Event: Life Day Celebration

1.7 (2/12/2013)

- New Event: Relics of the Gree

- New Operation: Gray Secant

- QoL: Galactic Reputation

2.0 (4/9/2013) PAID EXPANSION - RotHC

- Cost to subscribers ... a bank breaking $9.99

- New Planet: Makeb

- New Operation: Scum & Villany

- New HM FPs: Athiss, Cademimu, Hammer Station, Mandalorian Raiders

2.2 (6/12/2013)

- Operation: TFB NiM

2.3 (8/6/2013)

- 55 FPs: Czerka Corporate Labs, Czerka Core Meltdown

- Event: Bounty Contract Week

2.4 (10/1/2013)

- Operations: Dread Fortress, Dread Palace

- Mission Areas: Oricon, CZ-198

2.5 (12/04/2013)

- Galactic Starfighter

2.6 (02/04/2014)

- Flashpoint: Kuat Drive Yards Tactical Flashpoint

- GSF: Team Deathmatch Gameplay Mode

- GSF Hangar Bay

Other than 2.0, not one addition to this game listed above cost a dime and not one came out of the Cartel Market. QoL improvement items aren't playable content; but they take time, every MMO has them, and they too had nothing to do with the CM.

For what it's worth, it took the Paragon Market for CoH to survive ... it's in-game "Cartel Market" where all players could purchase points to purchase expansions to the game. VIP subscribers were given a monthly stipend of these points at no extra charge. CoH was free after initial purchase until it started losing money. Then it went hybrid sub/F2P and added the Paragon Market. One would think CoH fans would appreciate SWTOR using a similar model.

Free will never be free until the people who create the content work for free out of offices that are free while operating with equipment and utilities that are free. Free unfortunately is only found in gutters and trash cans.

Edited by GalacticKegger

1.1 (1/18/2012)

- Operation: Karraga's Palace expansion

- New FP: Kaon Under Siege

- Event: Rise of the Rakghouls

1.2 (4/12/2012)

- New QoL: Legacy system

- New QoL: Customizable UIs

- New Mission Area: Black Hole

1.3 (6/26/2012)

- New QoL: Groupfinder

- New QoL: Augment slots

- QoL: Ranked War Zones added

- QoL: All GTN terminals connected

1.4 (9/26/2012)

- QoL: Dread Guard gear added

- QoL: Match color to chest added

- QoL: BoP and BoL items tradeable between grouped players

1.5 (11/15/2012)

- New Mission Area: Section X

- Event: HK-51 companion quest chain

- Operation: EC NiM added

- New World Boss: Dreadtooth

- QoL: Additional Cargo Hold & quickslot bars added

1.6 (12/11/2012)

- New WZ: Ancient Hypergate

- Space: Heroic missions added

- Space: Grade 7 artifact Starship Upgrades

- New Event: Life Day Celebration

1.7 (2/12/2013)

- New Event: Relics of the Gree

- New Operation: Gray Secant

- QoL: Galactic Reputation

- New Planet: Makeb

- New HM FPs: Athiss, Cademimu, Hammer Station, Mandalorian Raiders

2.2 (6/12/2013)

- Operation: TFB NiM

2.3 (8/6/2013)

- 55 FPs: Czerka Corporate Labs, Czerka Core Meltdown

- Event: Bounty Contract Week

2.4 (10/1/2013)

- Mission Areas: Oricon, CZ-198

2.5 (12/04/2013)

- Galactic Starfighter

2.6 (02/04/2014)

- Flashpoint: Kuat Drive Yards Tactical Flashpoint

- GSF: Team Deathmatch Gameplay Mode

- GSF Hangar Bay

Other than 2.0, not one addition to this game listed above cost a dime and not one came out of the Cartel Market. QoL improvement items aren't playable content; but they take time, every MMO has them, and they too had nothing to do with the CM.

For what it's worth, it took the Paragon Market for CoH to survive ... it's in-game "Cartel Market" where all players could purchase points to purchase expansions to the game. VIP subscribers were given a monthly stipend of these points at no extra charge. CoH was free after initial purchase until it started losing money. Then it went hybrid sub/F2P and added the Paragon Market. One would think CoH fans would be happy that SWTOR is using a similar model.

Free will never be free until the people who create the content work for free out of offices that are free while operating with equipment and utilities that are free. Free unfortunately is only found in gutters and trash cans.

I like the cut of your jib. It just puts a smile on my face when people take the time to stamp out misinformation and unreasonable statements. Thank you, good sir.

Edited by Arkerus

I like the cut of your jib. It just puts a smile on my face when people take the time to stamp out misinformation and unreasonable statements. Thank you, good sir.
Not trying to stamp out anything ... folks are free to believe what they like. Just correcting mis(dis)information with publicly available information is all. Edited by GalacticKegger

Yep, that gold standard was so successful for the publishers the game continued to grow and is performing stellarly today.

Oh. Wait. It's closed, isn't it?

Gee, let's everyone who actually enjoys playing SWTOR hope that BioWare is aiming for a different sort of measure of gold standard than did CoH.

Was about mention that. I definitely don't want this game to follow in their footsteps.

1.2 (4/12/2012)

1.4 (9/26/2012)

2.4 (10/1/2013)

Not quite as impressive when the fluff is removed.

(I'm focusing on Ops obviously)

Edited by TUXs