Trooper or Smugglers VS Jedi

Solzean

So I was just wondering lore wise if the Trooper and Smuggler would stand much of a chance against a Jedi. I assume that in a 1 on 1 situation in which they were thrown into an arena the Jedi would usually win. The question kinda comes down to would you need the absolute best Smuggler or Trooper to stand up to a mediocre Jedi?

A smuggler, no, I doubt it. Even a seasoned shot would have trouble getting the jump on any competent Jedi.

A trooper (by which we must mean of course an elite sort like Havoc Squad, and not a standard soldier) would stand a much better chance, particularly if he has explosives and/or a rapid-fire weapon.

I would expect a Master to easily be able to handle either of these, however.

Skilled Bounty Hunters are often given the nickname "Jedi Killer" so if a Bounty Hunter can achieve it why can't a trooper? Especially a special forces soldier who is trained to fight not only imperials but also sith, and is given the best equipment the republic can get its hands on. As for smuggler, a bit harder to believe since they obviously aren't combat oriented lore wise, it's still possible since they probably can get their hands on tech that not even the empire or republic have access to, and could possibly take down a sith if they have the element of surprise.

in a arena, where u see ur oppoment, already sized him up. a smuggler woud be beaten down, maybe even without drawing his lightsabre ( lore wise ), possibly the same with a trooper....

but say on a jungle, like Kashyyyk or debris filled like taris..

a smuggler may be able to trap a jedi, or maybe even kill him out of a ambush. same with trooper.

and im sure a group of havoc squad could kill a jedi, NO PROBLEM :D

Ask the Jedi after Order 66.

That being said, the force and a lightsaber does not make you into an immortal godless killing machine. A jedi misses a deflect, he gets shot. A jedi falls for a feint, he gets shot. A jedi gets a grenade chucked at him, he gets shrapnel in the face. Etc.

on the trailers ( namely Hope ) that havoc squad soilder gave the sith a pretty good fight...

Also quite a few of them flipped the sith over their backs/tackled them, after that all it would take is one good shot and they're down.

Also, Harron Tavus, Satele Shan's love interest and a commander of the Republic Special Forces bested Darth Angral (Darth Malgus' rival) and could have finished him off had Satele not gotten in the way.

Edited by ZanriI

Yea, I just have always wondered. We tend to make the Jedi out to be the greatest fighters in the universe. I can think of examples such as when Han Solo gets the jump on Darth Vader over the Death Star and could have realistically finished Vader off if he had realized the importance of his target. There are multiple occasions where the Jedi have someone get the jump on them, especially order 66.

I also wonder if it could be a matter of rock paper scissors when it comes to a lot of these things. Smuggler generally seems to be the one that would fair the worst, but i dont think we give them enough credit. They make a living out of NOT getting caught. That and Vader was unable to sense them all in the Millennium Falcon.

I wonder if the Expanded Universe is partly at fault for the Jedi seeming to be unstoppable. In the movies they are clearly vulnerable. In a lot of the books they appear to be unstoppable warriors unless another Force user comes after them.

Yea, I just have always wondered. We tend to make the Jedi out to be the greatest fighters in the universe. I can think of examples such as when Han Solo gets the jump on Darth Vader over the Death Star and could have realistically finished Vader off if he had realized the importance of his target. There are multiple occasions where the Jedi have someone get the jump on them, especially order 66.

I also wonder if it could be a matter of rock paper scissors when it comes to a lot of these things. Smuggler generally seems to be the one that would fair the worst, but i dont think we give them enough credit. They make a living out of NOT getting caught. That and Vader was unable to sense them all in the Millennium Falcon.

I wonder if the Expanded Universe is partly at fault for the Jedi seeming to be unstoppable. In the movies they are clearly vulnerable. In a lot of the books they appear to be unstoppable warriors unless another Force user comes after them.

I think this was said during either the SW class quest or maybe just a throwaway quest that had lines for a Sith. But one of the Force-users in the Empire mentioned the Force beginning to weaken.

So it could be that during the ToR era Jedi and Sith were tiers above what have come later.

So I was just wondering lore wise if the Trooper and Smuggler would stand much of a chance against a Jedi. I assume that in a 1 on 1 situation in which they were thrown into an arena the Jedi would usually win. The question kinda comes down to would you need the absolute best Smuggler or Trooper to stand up to a mediocre Jedi?

Are you asking about in Lore or in game?

In lore, from what I've always read, unless the Smuggler/Trooper/Bounty Hunter was highly skilled (or they went after younglings, padawan's, or new Jedi's) they avoided the older Jedi's like they carried Atom bombs under their clothing.

In game .... lets just say a group of 10 Troops against a group of 10 force users is just sad ... for the force users I mean. :(

Are you asking about in Lore or in game?

In lore, from what I've always read, unless the Smuggler/Trooper/Bounty Hunter was highly skilled (or they went after younglings, padawan's, or new Jedi's) they avoided the older Jedi's like they carried Atom bombs under their clothing.

In game .... lets just say a group of 10 Troops against a group of 10 force users is just sad ... for the force users I mean. :(

I mean lorewise. My post talks about a few points in the Movies it seems where non force users were easily able to hide or get the jump on force users. I just wonder exactly how powerful force users truly are.

Like my other post said, I get the feelings the EU books probably over do the Forces power. Then again, after reading a great many of the books I have been extremely disappointed with how they take the story which makes me bias.

In lore, smugglers aren't fighters. They might be able to pull some dirty tricks, but usually you would be more concerned with getting your cargo to the buyer quickly and safely, and avoid conflicts. Han happened to be an accomplished marksman because he washed out of the Imperial Academy because he couldn't take it when an officer was beating a wookiee.

In lore, smugglers aren't fighters. They might be able to pull some dirty tricks, but usually you would be more concerned with getting your cargo to the buyer quickly and safely, and avoid conflicts. Han happened to be an accomplished marksman because he washed out of the Imperial Academy because he couldn't take it when an officer was beating a wookiee.

Something tells me most smugglers are going to learn how to be a good shot.

I must say most smugglers are fighters. I mean if they can't get out of dangerous situation alive, then they must stink at smuggling, look at Han vs. Greedo for my point. I do think that if they had the element of surprise and cover they might be able to win. Look at Jango vs. Obi-wan. If Jango just had a grenade or better rocket, Luke might not have ever met a" Ben Kenobi" Most smugglers fight dirty too. I think they might have a reasonable chance.

Atton Rand was a Jedi Killer and for our purposed, a smuggler, turns out he was force sensitive, but there were plenty train like him to do it.

Which leads to me to our conclusion, there is nothing *special* about a smuggler or trooper or some random non force user. They all start in the same boat, so an exceptional non force user could in fact take down a non force user. They would simply have to be smart about it.

Hell in this game, smugglers at least and I would assume plenty of other non-force users take down plenty of force users. Thus, it is completely plausible. They're not mediocre force users either.

I figure in a one-on-one fight with any non-force user, the Jedi or Sith would just levitate and choke the adversary to death in one move (could just start by force gouging his eyes and blinding him). Heck, the just force crushing someone's larynx would end the fight right here.

Don't think the game implements any of that.

Edited by Obadaya

• 3 months later...

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

Of course troopers can hold their own against Jedi.

ORDER 66

I mean, plain 'ol deception works like a charm on the Jedi. Imagine tactics, training, weapons thrown in the mix?

Depends, does the smuggler get his space ship? xD

I'd say a saboteur smuggler would be okay, or one thats competent in traps or dirty moves a jedi may not expect. A straight up blaster gunslinger, nah, he's going down hard.