Why do I hate this class?

Sempronos

I have a 70 Sentinel and a 60 Marauder and to be honest, I just don't get this class. I kill much faster and effectively with my Guardian or Juggy in PVE, but when I try my Sentinel or Mara I never get through my rotation to make really big hits. I feel like I'm trying to time my attacks more than just killing mobs with abandon.

Plus I feel so squishy, constantly having to pause after a fight to heal up. How are you guys playing this in PVE? I've looked for YouTube videos but they are all from several updates ago. I'm not looking forward to the last ten levels on my Marauder.

Suggestions?

I would follow Beastfury on Twitch. He is one of the few people left from the old days who actually wrote guides to carnage Marauder/combat Sentinel who still plays. His forum profile can be found from this link. Hayete also wrote combat/carnage guides but he doesn't play anymore. I'm pretty sure Beastfury told me once on his stream that his rotation and Hayete's are very close, if not co-developed.

If you are looking to play Watchman/Annihilation (the DoT specs) then Oofalong wrote the best guide but it is somewhat out of date being that it is from 4.0. I asked about any updates in this thread. It doesn't sound like the rotation has changed much.

I cannot speak to Concentration Sent/Fury Mara, but I read in the forums they are doing very well in this current meta. There aren't any guides on Dulfy so your best bet is to try and replicate a rotation from Parsley.io

Lastly, if you are talking about solo PvE activities, most regular mobs in the game die so quickly you never really hit the peak of your rotation from any of the disciplines, especially with a companion. You're not really going to see the full effects of a solidly practiced rotation unless you are fighting an operation boss during a long window of uptime.

I have a 70 Sentinel and a 60 Marauder and to be honest, I just don't get this class. I kill much faster and effectively with my Guardian or Juggy in PVE, but when I try my Sentinel or Mara I never get through my rotation to make really big hits. I feel like I'm trying to time my attacks more than just killing mobs with abandon.

Plus I feel so squishy, constantly having to pause after a fight to heal up. How are you guys playing this in PVE? I've looked for YouTube videos but they are all from several updates ago. I'm not looking forward to the last ten levels on my Marauder.

Suggestions?

This perception is true. It's because the Sentinel/Marauder role is more offensive, while Guardian/Juggernaut is more defensive (having Tanks as well). Although Sents/Marauders should have more DPS by this logic, but in fact they don't. It's quite a bit of the how to play. Guardians/Juggernauts can take damage and stand their test, pulling and serving damage. To play a Sentinel/Marauder well, you have to move, avoid damage and dealing it in a more sneaky way.

Sent/Mara wears medium armor whereas Guard/Jugg wears heavy.

Also, do you have your companion set to heal or dps? They should be healing you in between fights enough to keep you from pausing for very long, if at all.

Well, as luck would have it, I ran into a Marauder last night while doing my Heroics and the guy actually took the time to explain a few things. First of all, he suggested playing Fury spec. I said I don't PVP but he said that's fine, the Fury spec works great with PVE, you simply need to switch your companion to tank, so you don't get hit. On harder fights, with multiple strongs or elites he switches the companion to healer.

So I did this, and at the same time watched a few YouTube vids, to understand my rotation and I have to say I was impressed. I went from 60 where I had given up, all the way to 65 in one evening of some fun quests. Yes, a few times I was in trouble for pulling mobs off my companion, or getting an add or two and I dropped to almost dead, but the Mara has some good defensive perks, and I was able to survive without a death.

Of course, all my gear is outdated, so I spent a bit on the market and bought up to date equipment. Made a huge difference. I appreciate your time, and thanks for the help guys.

I actually love my 70 Mara its my main I play Fury I only use companions on healing.

Tricks to healing know the fight I use Lana a lot but found in doing star forges I need to use Kayilo or vette ranged because lana is lightsaber melee and gets to close to the action and ends up dying while my ranged healers stay at a distance allowing me to do my work.

now every once in a while i need to go kill an npc attacking them but mostly ranged healers stay out of the heavy dmg . if they are dead they cannot heal. I never use a companion as a tank simply because my mara cannot heal. other classes that can heal it makes more sense to use a comp as a tank.

P.S I have waited years for Mara to be competitive its what made me want to play from the beginning to be that duel wielding Sith .

I never really liked questing with my Sentinel. I had the same issues with having to heal after each fight, enemie dies before I reached the core rotation etc. I always was annoyed by that focus management and having to spam strike :D

I needed some time to bring my sentinel to max level - That was the moment I began loving my sentinel, but I still avoid (daily) questing ;)

Suggestions?

Marauder is significantly sturdier than a dps jug actually, assuming you use your dcds. That said, if thrash pulls are what you are struggling with, obviously you cannot use your dcds every 20 seconds.

Always make sure to kill the thrash asap and solo pve dont have a rotation per say. You choose what ability to use based on circumstances. Its not a big boss fight where you sustain dps.

But I never use my companions in healer or tank mode, and I typically have to heal up every 3 pulls or so.

• 4 weeks later...
Sents/Maras have some of the best dcds in the game. they are better both in offense and defense to that of the dps Juggernaut. With that said, Sent/mara are one of the most difficult classes to play, because their effectiveness depends on your ability to manage those dcds, so you get the most out of them. Edited by cool-dude

• 4 weeks later...
I only hate this Class because they don't have Force Jump Cooldown Reductions like the Guardian and the Shadow. Also the Guardian can start each battle with Focus and Saber Throw also creates Focus.

Pretty sure fury gets a leap benefit of some kind, and focus guardians dont. Only vigi guardians get any benefit from leap without utility, and all the utility point does is make you immune to push/pull/knockback.

Having played both, focus and concentration play exactly the same way, and I have not particuarly noticed any gaping focus issues on either.

Sents/Maras have some of the best dcds in the game. they are better both in offense and defense to that of the dps Juggernaut. With that said, Sent/mara are one of the most difficult classes to play, because their effectiveness depends on your ability to manage those dcds, so you get the most out of them.

What are the dcds for Sents/Maras? How do you best manage them? Thanks!

• 1 month later...