I miss Star Wars Galaxies :(

GolgoThirteen

The NGE improved the game but even then it was still just a WoW in the star wars universe.

SWG is older than WoW.

---------------------------------------------------------

it saddens me, in this game i have yet to see a central cantina where people gather to shoot sh*t, and i can see why.

TOR is an RPG, where you play the role of the Sith Warrior, Inquisitor, agent, Jedi, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, etc. your not experiencing your own story, you don't really have any choices.

also, entertainers made a good reason for people to convene in cantinas.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss it as well, I miss my gunship, my YT-1300 and my X-Wing :( Don't knwo if i'll ever enjoy this space game so far its awful. Miss the player cities, the PvP the running around cantina's, lots of stuff.It had potential im my op, but was left wanting daily. I do enjoy SW:TOR though but space is just really bad i wanna fly not be driven, i want it to just take off and cruise around. ok ill end there lol, I miss my Bunker, the Guild hall, the hrs spent decoing them both all my houses ok had to add that lol hope this game figures somethign out along some of these lines. Edited by NullArc

I would be very surprised if SWTOR doesn't come out with a space expansion such as SWG did. There's such a large group of people who live for space. I REALLY miss being able to jump in your ship with a large group of people and just literally hang out wherever you wanted to. You could just be floating next to the big space stations, etc. That being said, I do really like the interiors of the ships we have in SWTOR. I am a bit disappointed that we don't get to choose more ships (again, likely will change if there's an expansion) and that we aren't able to decorate our own ships. Nothing beat hanging out with your buddies and deciding to hop onto a couple turrets and take out a star destroyer. All that being said, jump to lightspeed for SWG didn't come out at launch either, it took them a while to come out with it. As it sits right now, I will always miss SWG, but I can't wait to see what SWTOR has in store for us. It's just a matter of time.

I rather like SW:TOR, but I really miss SWG.

I miss my bio engineer/creature handler and my teras kasi/pistoleer. I miss finding the best spots for my mining rigs and crafting über items. I miss crazy world PvP and going to cantinas and chatting then tipping the entertainer and heading out into the wastes. I miss player cities.

I don't miss the NGE.

Anyway, misty eyed nostalgia over with. See you on the galactic battlefields.

Amen to that.

**** I miss driving my speederbike around the planet scanning the ground to find the highest quality ore and place the mining machines on there, produce your own electricity with windmills needed to have the miningmachines do their work, starting up a factory mass producing items and F*CK do I miss having my own house and public shop making me tons of money.

Hope they realize its not all about the pve/pvp leveling and that a economy based game adds a hella lot features and value to people. Screw the Galactic trade markets and the lame 'WoW' style mining/resource gathering:). It doesn't add a lot of fun if you ask me

I'll Pray they patch this game into something really good cause its lacking too much of the good stuff :(

Heathen. NGE killed the game. But I still respect you ;)

Will never ever be a game just as swg iam afraid so just have to accept people are to lazy these days to play a real mmo.

So far iam quite happy with sw tor but iam already finding a lack of things to do.

No idéa to keep dwelling on the past.

Will never ever be a game just as swg iam afraid so just have to accept people are to lazy these days to play a real mmo.

So far iam quite happy with sw tor but iam already finding a lack of things to do.

No idéa to keep dwelling on the past.

Yeah but look forward for things to come. Already the features and content we have now are a good foundation for everything to expand. All those cool ideas for swg were not there at launch. Player housing was the best, and you could elect your own officials, but it took time to get there.

The only thing I miss about swg was the player housing/cities and that is only to an extent. Having planets maxed to capacity with dead cities was not fun when you had a group of people wanting to set up there own.

The space game was lacking, sure you could freely fly wherever you wanted but once you farmed out the helmet and maxed out your piloting what else was there to do but space mine.

The crafting was terrible. Nothing like wasting a few hours flying from planet to planet sampling all the resources just to find out where the best one was for the moment and on top of that needing multiple things just to create an item that you needed to create another.

I do think that this game could do with more classes moving a bit away from the iconic roles as well as more alien races but that could come in a future expansion either way I plan to play this game for a long time.

Miss it too, but before NGE with crowded servers. But in SWTOR I have found a very worthy replacement. Once the community gets closer, more guildstuff ander other things are implemented, we could see a game that makes SWG looks like ape

I am finding the transition from SWG to SWTOR hard, I miss the feeling of a vast universe and having the freedom to just wander off on Naboo and do some sight seeing whilst slaughtering a few Gunguns or Hanging out in Mos Eisley Cantina chatting to real people, there was so many possibilities in SWG, you could happily fill your days with fishing the galaxies and growing flora or go out and be the fiercest PVPER in Restuss.

I've had people quoting me the Bioware pitch that this is the "first true stroy-driven mmo". All I can see and maybe I'm off the Mark here...is it's your bog standard Themepark MMO and someones just replaced the dialogue boxes for Audio which I tend to get bored of and skip anyway. I still find myself going off to kill 5 of these or feel a quota and click 5/6 of these...

I haven't played WoW or many other MMO's, but seems to me there are several features taken from the SWG"NGE" into SWTOR. I understand fully the detest of many to the NGE, but I think if you can look past the proffesion screw job to the features such as colour coding the command buttons, adding in the Tansari station for a starting point etc It wasn't all bad. is it me or the command bar layout and even the /laugh /cry are very similar commands to that of SWG. Is that just bog standard for games like WoW, Eve, Age of Conan etc?

Anyway I hope everyone here is enjoying the game, I'm not here to spoil your fun, just voice my thoughts as I feel like I'm the only one here who isn't settling in.

Could Bioware include speech-bubbles and a social aspect to the game as at the moment it's a world full of people doing 1 player missions with little or no interaction to fellow gamers, unless the mission requires teaming up.

And for the record, NGE spaceflight ruled...sorry to go against the status quo but I loved being an Acepilot

Edited by NiborBinks

I miss it too i play SWTOR but still SWG was best MMORPG EVER. Even SWTOR sucks wen compared to SWG. SWG was different why Bioware/EA you could buy rights to SWG and keep it running even f2p WHYYYYYY. I miss it i will cry many times wen i even try to remember SWG and i will cry my heart is really broken broken, badly.

The crafting was terrible. Nothing like wasting a few hours flying from planet to planet sampling all the resources just to find out where the best one was for the moment and on top of that needing multiple things just to create an item that you needed to create another.

Have to disagree with you here. I thought crafting was one of the best things about SWG. It was not cookie cutter crafting and people could really differentiate their wares by experimenting with different resources and techniques.

I admit that I miss it too. Although I didn't play for the entire 8 years straight, I was there in the beginning--before the NGE. I would take a break every once in a while but I always cae back.

It was a new experience in the realm of MMO's. I miss the guilds, the players that were always eager to help the noobs. I miss the the ability to craft and decorate my houses--something that's missing from TOR. I was saddened to see it go.

As a writer and role-player, SWG was holy gift from God all mighty. I will always miss being able to create my own story and use my imagination to the fullest. But as a strict game play MMO, it was terrible. I never played it for that reason, for me it was always about the creativity and the community aspect of it. That's why I stayed with it, until they shut it down.

ToR is going to be very different, but I knew that when I signed up, so I'm not in the least bit disappointed by it. It will be interesting to see how BW builds it up from here.

Dear Fellow Star Wars The Old Republic Users,

Indeed, Star War Galaxies is gone as of 12-15-11, but it succeeded on many different levels. In fact, it was the first MMORPG Star Wars game, none the less; it's also one of the first MMORPG games. In the end, it was one of the first games to get an expansion pack - Jump to Lightspeed. Though, it was quite successful, especially in the first two years to three years, then, the constant population started to decrease, slowly, but steadily. As a RP person (Somewhat) myself, I personally loved it. But it was quite redundant after a while, so I can see why some people left. Although this seems more of a game rating type thing, this intertwines fact, as well as opinion.

On 16 September 2009, SOE informed all current and past account holders of the forthcoming closure of twelve servers.

On 3 May 2011, SOE issued a press release stating that ALL Sony Online Products have been isolated from the internet, due to massive and widespread security infiltrations of various games, servers, databases and likely more unmentioned. Security teams, as well as the FBI, were called-in and at that time no information was available regarding when anything would be restored. Initial reports indicated personal data of 20-30 million customers has potentially been compromised, none within the USA. The information compromised was old information including addresses. All SOE web pages were re-directed temporarily to a customer announcement and a press release page. This is where people were starting to leave. I remember that very well. Although, finally, on 24 June 2011, SOE and LucasArts announced that they had mutually agreed to shut down Star Wars Galaxies on 15 December 2011. I quote from Sony Online Entertainment:

If you are an active subscriber in good standing as of September 15, 2011, then you can play for free for the final months. Players wishing to play through the end of the game and participate in the galaxy-ending event planned for the last week of live service in December will need to re-activate or join the game on or before September 15th. No new or reactivated accounts will be accepted after September 15, 2011.

This was honestly one of the saddest, yet most grand deaths by a game ever. It allowed all users for the last three months (Active only) free membership. I salute Star Wars Galaxies to its glorious death, and for all the fun times I had on it. Thank you Star Wars Galaxies.

Edited by ImperialGunner

Oh wow, what a cool thread

SWG was not finished! Not at launch to the mass of crying MMO folks, not to the newb wondering why Jedi was a secret and all the " missions" got them killed. And not after the failure of the NGE.

I think that should have been the entire point, never finished, just like life, until you are dead.

Trying to be more like WOW was the poison pill. SWG was better and worse than the narrow definition of an online World WOW became. I still cant play that scooby doo rubbish.

also if u like SWG you can always get on SEGemu...

Bleh. A lot of stubborn vets will never admit it, but the game was better after the NGE. Not immediately. The NGE itself was godawful terrible. But years later, the game was finally better. A good example is the post-NGE bio-engineer. Way more complex and interesting than the former version. The storyteller system. Quest building (while it wasn't done right, but still, it's better than nothing). New content for space. New places to explore and adventures to be had.

It did some things right. But...

TOR is around 10x better.

At first it is. Then you run out of things to do. Didn't have that problem in SWG, for the most part. And that's why I'm such a strong supporter of sandbox elements, and I pray that Bioware goes in that direction.

Edited by Aigik