The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

renegadeimp

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pretty good computer but for some reason I still experience laggy/choppy gameplay. It's not my connection issues, I'm guessing it's my graphics card.

Here are my PC specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor 2.80 GHz

RAM: 6.00 GB (5.75 GB usable)

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics [HP 2310]

I also have plenty of hard drive space because its a 1 TB Hard-drive. I really would like to figure out whats wrong... Would it help if I reformatted my PC? I am really thinking that is is my graphics card so if it is, give me some advice on what I should get.

That GPU is absolutely terrible. It is classed as extreme low end, and is not recommended for 3d graphics in any way. And that is what the manufacturer says. Upgrade that GPU and your game should be running good.

I suggest a AMD 5750 or Nvidia 260. You could even get by with a 5450. Tho 5770 would give you a few more FPS.

I have been looking at some graphics cards to purchase and I don't know which to get for my computer. I also have no idea what some of the stuff means. I have been told that the ATI Radeon HD 6850 is a really good video card but you suggested the 5750/5770. Will those work for my PC?

On the websites that sell these cards are advertising them as Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850 or Visiontek AMD Radeon HD 6850 or even Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850... What's the difference lol?

I have been looking at some graphics cards to purchase and I don't know which to get for my computer. I also have no idea what some of the stuff means. I have been told that the ATI Radeon HD 6850 is a really good video card but you suggested the 5750/5770. Will those work for my PC?

On the websites that sell these cards are advertising them as Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850 or Visiontek AMD Radeon HD 6850 or even Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850... What's the difference lol?

5750 and 5770 are solid mid range cards that are really good value for money. With those cards and your GPU, you should easily get nice fps on mid-high settings. The 6850 is a superb card as well, although i'd be hesitant with your system as the cpu could bottleneck it slightly. It is designed to run on high end systems or at least i5's and above.

If you can get a 6850 cheaply, then by all means get one, as they blow the 5770 out of the water. However, if you are on a budget, then stick with the 5750 / 5770.

my fps is ok with settings on low and no shadows etc. but my computer crashes all the time when im playing the game. it happens like every 5-10 minutes, sometimes i can play for up to an hour but its still crippling. i dont know why this happens but i think it has to do with something overheating and i was wondering if applying the stuff in this guide will help with my problem too.

Oh wow..

Knowing my computer met the minimum requirements to play this game I ofc bought it but to my suprise it was almust unplayable for me. Tryed everything, but I was forced to play with minimum settings at 800x600 @ 21,5 screen and even then the fps was horrible.

Then I found this guide, and did everything in it and all off a sudden im playing at 1600x1200 and the game is floating with no fps problems at all. Just wanted to say thanks alot for this guide!

I hope we will get some patches and driver updates soon, my rig (nothing super powerful - Q6600, 4GB ram and GTX 460) runs Battlefield 3 perfectly (almost everything on high) and I get about 35+ fps in SWTOR. If I switch on the shadows it is barely playable, mouse lag feels terrible.

I could try to switch off the vsync, but screen tearing would drive me mad :]

What I'm trying to say is not to worry too much if you have to keep your settings low or you experience fps drops, I bet it will be fixed. This game cannot be more demanding than BF3!

Er, you should not be experiencing barely playable performance with shadows on. You and I have (in summary, at least) the same hardware and the performance is fine on my end. We may have different opinions on what is playable (I don't require 60 FPS to play a game; over 30 is fine for me).

Now, that said, the performance is complete crap when you compare it to how well other games run. SWToR shouldn't be anywhere near as demanding as it is. The art and gameplay features simply don't justify it.

Er, you should not be experiencing barely playable performance with shadows on. You and I have (in summary, at least) the same hardware and the performance is fine on my end. We may have different opinions on what is playable (I don't require 60 FPS to play a game; over 30 is fine for me).

Now, that said, the performance is complete crap when you compare it to how well other games run. SWToR shouldn't be anywhere near as demanding as it is. The art and gameplay features simply don't justify it.

Since there is a confirmed bug in the shadow engine, yes, he could be experiencing it. The last part of your post is pure speculation on your part. Lets try not to derail the thread.

Edited by renegadeimp

I was running at anywhere from 5-20 fps and averaging about 11-15 before i did what this person recommended.

Now im peaking at 30 and averaging around 20.

Ati Radeon hd 4200 (desktop). 512mb.

All settings are as low as they can go. It's not ideal but, at least it's consistent enough to be semi effective in pvp.

Thought i would let everyone know.

Windows 7 uses less resources and performs a LOT better than xp on pretty much any system.

nope. I just installed Win7 on my 2003 desktop, took around 9+ hours to install all updates including SP1... whereas XP took 3-4 hrs. The lacking HDD speed on that computer is also a great deal more noticeable on 7 then XP.

I had a 2005 laptop that performed better on XP then 7 as well.

nope. I just installed Win7 on my 2003 desktop, took around 9+ hours to install all updates including SP1... whereas XP took 3-4 hrs. The lacking HDD speed on that computer is also a great deal more noticeable on 7 then XP.

I had a 2005 laptop that performed better on XP then 7 as well.

Then there is a problem with that system. Pretty much every benchmark of win7 says otherwise, as well as personal experience with at least 300 different systems.

Edited by renegadeimp

posting a reply to "save" this thread since i dont really know any other way to save it.

anyone know if theres something like this for vista? ly laptop is ancient =P (3 years!)

I bought my laptop with Vista, been using Win 7 since public beta, upgraded. 3 years ago Vista was terrible, that is all what I could tell you. Try upgrade to Win 7 ASAP, or if you could a new laptop with Win 7 pre installed.

And my contribution to thread, best de fragmenting software known to me: http://www.raxco.com/

It is called PerfectDisk and it does what name is. In offline (AKA after boot) mode can even de fragment directories (folders), system files and swap file. Handy stuff if you don't have SDD. Has 30 day trial.

Edited by Chaffery