Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

If you're running the specs listed on the gateway page...

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1014733R/1014733Rsp2.shtml

Then most likely it's your video card since it looks like its a very old built in card.

You probably need a dedicated card for this game, or maybe a high end processor with its own gpu (like a sandy bridge) to run this.

I would suggest a new system to be honest...but if that is not an option, try a video card and see if you can do anything with the processor speed. The machine seems to be pretty old (4gb max ddr2 ram, and a few other older pieces). It still can run a good portion of games..just swtor needs better than average hardware.

Thank you very much. I dont know about getting a new card. i think i might as well jusy get a new system. Thank you very much for your help :)

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read somewhere that my graphics card would run this game but i get ~5fps everywhere... :( (And the CTRL+SHIFT+F FPS meter was green, meaning it was my graphics card that was bottle necking me) here's my pc specs

Win 7 64-bit

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor (4CPU's), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4200 Approx. total memory 1916MB

any help? :D

Well I am not at college on account its holiday break so I dont have my powerhouse computer and I'm trying to run the game on the family computer I built awhile back.. I am averaging 5 fps and I am thinking it is the graphics card (although under minimum requirements it looks like its supported)

Please Help!!

CPU - 3.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X2 260

Board - MSI 770-G45

Memory - 4 gigs dual channel ddr3

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

I've read somewhere that my graphics card would run this game but i get ~5fps everywhere... :( (And the CTRL+SHIFT+F FPS meter was green, meaning it was my graphics card that was bottle necking me) here's my pc specs

Win 7 64-bit

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor (4CPU's), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4200 Approx. total memory 1916MB

any help? :D

Get a GPU check you PSU first for the power rating nothing less than a 6770 higher is better.

Well I am not at college on account its holiday break so I dont have my powerhouse computer and I'm trying to run the game on the family computer I built awhile back.. I am averaging 5 fps and I am thinking it is the graphics card (although under minimum requirements it looks like its supported)

Please Help!!

CPU - 3.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X2 260

Board - MSI 770-G45

Memory - 4 gigs dual channel ddr3

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Cut everything down to low with no eye candy other than that same answer as above.

My wife has a AMD II 270 @ 3.4 GHz with a 6770 GPU runs it fine mid settings without the eye candy. Make sure your PSU can handle any changes.

•Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor

•8GB PC1600 Kingston HyperX RAM

•NVIDIA GT520 1GB Video

•Asus Z68 USB3 & SATA3 MB

•1TB SATA3 7200 RPM HD

•24X DVD+-R/+-RW Drive

how would this run started plating on labtop but relised this isnt gonna work and the upgrades it would take to play would cost near same to a new system

Okay, I could use a little advice. My rig is running "okay" but I would like a little better eye candy while I play, but turning it up is costing me a little too much performance. I've got about $350 or so to upgrade a bit and am curious which option you feel would give the best return on the investment (or if you can think of a better solution, feel free to share).

My base information:

ASUS P5N-D motherboard

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

2X 2GB DDR2-PC2 6400 CL-5 Memory

NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

And Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

So options....

I was thinking.

1) Finally ditch Vista for Win 7 64bit and replace my 250 GB hard drive with a SSD drive (have a 1TB drive in there as well for storage). Down the road a bit, I can add another 2x2GB RAM (does it need to be 6400 CL-5 as well for the best performance as well?)

2) Upgrade the video card with two SLI cards. This seemed to be the best bang for the buck on my budget:

EVGA 02G-P3-1559-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card.

3) Uhh not sure what else I can do besides secretly trading this one in and get a brand new build in an identical case and hope the wife doesn't look at the budget. :p

Anyways, out of those two options, which would you think would improve things the most?

•Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor

•8GB PC1600 Kingston HyperX RAM

•NVIDIA GT520 1GB Video

•Asus Z68 USB3 & SATA3 MB

•1TB SATA3 7200 RPM HD

•24X DVD+-R/+-RW Drive

how would this run started plating on labtop but relised this isnt gonna work and the upgrades it would take to play would cost near same to a new system

Everything is fine except for the graphics card. Get a 560Ti or AMD6950 2GB

i am finishing up my gaming rig and am down to the video card choice...

so far i have

i7 2700k OC to ~4Ghz

16gb ddr3 1866

120gb ssd/2tb hdd

z68 mobo

and other random things in the case, i will be running hdmi out to my monitor

my question is this, i always used nvidia and never had an issue from eq to wow to rift, your opinion , what would be better a Nvidia GTX 570 2560MB 320bit or a AMD 6950 2GB 256bit

im sure both cards would run swtor beautifully but with a $280 price point(AMD) vs a $395 price point(nvidia) would it make that much more of a difference graphically to get the more expensive card?

thx for your input gang

No one ever answered my question so I guess I'll repost:

I wondering if some one could PM me telling me if these will fit inside of my case:

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112320

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130565

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

I have all 3 items, my Mom picked up the CPU today on her way to work since I have a doughnut on my car, so that will be here tonight.

I don't want to say it's a quick question because it can be loaded with followups, but to start it's pretty easy. I want to find a way to run the game on mostly high while maintaining smooth performance in PvP.

Machine at the moment is:

Windows Vista 64bit

AMD Phenom Quad 2.8ghz

RAM 8gb

Geforce 9800gt 512mb

I recently bought a 750w power supply along with the processor, which helped performance immensely from previous. I noticed that my 9800 is running kinda hot, but the card fan is still working. I'm curious if a graphics card upgrade is necessary or even recommended. I'm told with my memory I can't obtain a major upgrade without going into the $300 range, something my Gateway(lol) case may not fit. Would getting a new vid card that's 1-2gb vram make a difference?

Thanks in advance!

I don't want to say it's a quick question because it can be loaded with followups, but to start it's pretty easy. I want to find a way to run the game on mostly high while maintaining smooth performance in PvP.

Windows Vista 64bit

AMD Phenom Quad 2.8ghz

RAM 8gb

Geforce 9800gt 512mb

I recently bought a 750w power supply along with the processor, which helped performance immensely from previous. I noticed that my 9800 is running kinda hot, but the card fan is still working. I'm curious if a graphics card upgrade is necessary or even recommended. I'm told with my memory I can't obtain a major upgrade without going into the $300 range, something my Gateway(lol) case may not fit. Would getting a new vid card that's 1-2gb vram make a difference?

Thanks in advance!

More than 1GB vram won't be of any benefit unless you're playing at more than 1920x1200 pixels. But a more powerful card, like a 560ti (for example) will make a big difference.

Edited by daemian

So options....

I was thinking.

1) Finally ditch Vista for Win 7 64bit and replace my 250 GB hard drive with a SSD drive (have a 1TB drive in there as well for storage). Down the road a bit, I can add another 2x2GB RAM (does it need to be 6400 CL-5 as well for the best performance as well?)

2) Upgrade the video card with two SLI cards. This seemed to be the best bang for the buck on my budget:

EVGA 02G-P3-1559-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card.

3) Uhh not sure what else I can do besides secretly trading this one in and get a brand new build in an identical case and hope the wife doesn't look at the budget. :p

Anyways, out of those two options, which would you think would improve things the most?

Go with a better video card. A lot of games really don't support SLI to the best extent, so getting an awesome card then maybe going SLI later would be better. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that SLI is not properly supported right now in SWTOR.

I could be wrong though.

SSD does help with loading times, but if you want eyecandy...go video card all the way.

Make sure your power supply can handle an increased load if you do upgrade any hardware on your computer. :)

Edited by Nuhhea

No one ever answered my question so I guess I'll repost:

I wondering if some one could PM me telling me if these will fit inside of my case:

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112320

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130565

I have all 3 items, my Mom picked up the CPU today on her way to work since I have a doughnut on my car, so that will be here tonight.

Yes, it will. You're using an ATX tower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_computer_form_factors ). The motherboard is an ATX form factor as well so you should be fine.

The motherboard/cpu should be compatible.

Ok I am looking to by a new Laptop (I didnt see a laptop thread)

It has a

Intel GMA X3100 (integrated) for its Graphics

And

Intel 965GM Express Chipset

Would this run the game?

Also lookin at one with

nVidia Quadro FX 360M Graphics Controller (256MB video RAM) with auto-dimming ambient light sensor no idea if this is after or before the one said to be required.

As well as a third

Intel GMA 4500MHD Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0

Edited by Perpetrater

Ok so I am getting a new desktop PC and was wondering if this could give me a solid 30-35 FPS even in crowded areas. I am not too into graphics and am fine playing at any resolution above 600x800. My laptop can run the game, and it plays fine in open areas, but when I get into crowded spaces with lots of NPCs and action (such as Nemro's cantina on Hutta) the framerate drops to almost nothing.

I don't intend on using the PC for gaming beyond SWTOR and some older games off GoG and Steam. The setup I was looking at was:

Intel Core i3 Dual Core 3.3 GHz

6 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6570

The other, slightly more expensive video card option I could go with is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 530.

Would either or both run the game at a solid framerate on the lowest settings?

I just bought that CPU, my current CPU is an: AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core Processor, 2.4GHz. I was wondering since I still need RAM, CD Drives, an HDD, and a couple of other things if I could put the new Duo Core 3.2GHz I just bought in to this computer and run my game better while I wait for my build. Unfortunately I don't know the Mobo so you will just have to give an educated guess.

Ok I am looking to by a new Laptop (I didnt see a laptop thread)

It has a

Intel GMA X3100 (integrated) for its Graphics

And

Intel 965GM Express Chipset

Would this run the game?

Also lookin at one with

nVidia Quadro FX 360M Graphics Controller (256MB video RAM) with auto-dimming ambient light sensor no idea if this is after or before the one said to be required.

As well as a third

Intel GMA 4500MHD Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0

No no and no. At least not very well for most those..

Desktop is the way to go for pc gaming with modern games unless you spend big bucks on an overpriced gaming laptop with no battery life.

Ok so I am getting a new desktop PC and was wondering if this could give me a solid 30-35 FPS even in crowded areas. I am not too into graphics and am fine playing at any resolution above 600x800. My laptop can run the game, and it plays fine in open areas, but when I get into crowded spaces with lots of NPCs and action (such as Nemro's cantina on Hutta) the framerate drops to almost nothing.

I don't intend on using the PC for gaming beyond SWTOR and some older games off GoG and Steam. The setup I was looking at was:

Intel Core i3 Dual Core 3.3 GHz

6 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6570

The other, slightly more expensive video card option I could go with is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 530.

Would either or both run the game at a solid framerate on the lowest settings?

For good TOR performance i'd be looking into a quad core system pref intel i5 with a mid range graphics card such a gtx560ti or ati 6870 (or higher models obvs). There is a new gen of cards coming from amd so it would be worth it to wait to see what they offer/how they affect the price of the current gen of cards but either of the above would run the game fine. Contrary to popular belief you don't need a mega high end system to max this game.

Windows Vista 64bit

AMD Phenom Quad 2.8ghz

RAM 8gb

Geforce 9800gt 512mb

Thanks in advance!

Video card is always the first thing to upgrade for a dated system when it comes to games. While a cpu upgrade will make a small difference to fps and upgrading ram will help if you like to have a lot of things running in the background, nothing will up the fps more then a modern graphics card nothing.

CPU upgrades do have other benefits in daily use obviously but for gaming gpu is the first thing you should be looking at upgrading unless you're running a pentium 4 or something lol...

Also vram doesnt really mean anything anymore until you get to mega resolutions...

Edited by AngusFTW

Go with a better video card. A lot of games really don't support SLI to the best extent, so getting an awesome card then maybe going SLI later would be better. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that SLI is not properly supported right now in SWTOR.

I could be wrong though.

SSD does help with loading times, but if you want eyecandy...go video card all the way.

Make sure your power supply can handle an increased load if you do upgrade any hardware on your computer. :)

Much obliged. So a single high end card is my best bet. I can do that. Power Supply will be fine. How much do you think the 32bit OS is limiting things? I feel like if I get a 64 bit Windows 7 and 8 GB memory (instead of 4 GB) that it will make a big difference as well? Or really should I just put all the money into a new video card?

Mid-high end single cards can run most things these days with all the eyecandy turned up (unless you're running a mega res ..) and give slightly less driver hassle.

If you don't upgrade to a 64 bit os you'll be wasting your money upgrading the ram obviously. Windows 7 is a lot better then vista also but you probably already knew that (although vista wasnt as bad later on once patched as people made it out to be and it was pretty much essential for high end gaming systems before 7 came along..) 7 cuts down a lot of the crap and is just more streamlined all together though.

Edited by AngusFTW

The laptops I am looking at are all 2 or 4 ram

The one I kinda am leaning for is speced as:

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HP (Up to 1654MB DVMT)

Intel Core i3 Processor 330M (2.13 Ghz, 3 MB L3 Cache)

4 GB Memory

So your saying I HAVE to get a desktop to play SWTOR? That seems very lame.

Edited by Perpetrater

The laptops I am looking at are all 2 or 4 ram

The one I kinda am leaning for is speced as:

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HP (Up to 1654MB DVMT)

Intel Core i3 Processor 330M (2.13 Ghz, 3 MB L3 Cache)

4 GB Memory

So your saying I HAVE to get a desktop to play SWTOR? That seems very lame.

If you are going dual core processor the clock speed should really be at least 2.5 GHz.