Ilum fail and new ideas in sinc with new implementations

Reloader

Is it just me or did swtor fail to grasp world pvp with those new quests in Ilum?

1. Valor should be given for kills with occasional commendation drops with a different skin/attributes close to whatever zone you are in (sector x, ilum, etc...)

2. the "PvP" quests should be PvP not do some PVE in the "PvP" area so we can all hold hands. it should be the same way on tatooine as well as other daily spots.

the only thing they got right was making it small group and FFA

A reward/risk system should be put in as well. The masses will not PvP if there is no reward and without risk it almost makes it pointless. Make World PvP deaths damage gear or endurance until repaired. Also a leader board so people can see who the biggest PvP'ers are, World PvP ranks/titles. these little things can encourage people to join the action.

Over all I think Bioware is on the right track they just need to pull their heads out of their... well you know.

Edited by Reloader
forgot some stuff

Valor and Comm requirement can only be tied to mission's rewards, and those cannot be tied to player killing. Else we just get kill trading all again.

A reward/risk system should be put in as well. The masses will not PvP if there is no reward and without risk it almost makes it pointless. Make World PvP deaths damage gear or endurance until repaired. Also a leader board so people can see who the biggest PvP'ers are, World PvP ranks/titles. these little things can encourage people to join the action.

This part is interesting.

I've gotta disagree here. The masses will most definitely PvP if you start fighting them. Get a group of four people together, cause some chaos, stir the hornet nest. Everyone is on edge in the PvP zone, it doesn't take much to get people firing on each other. And causing damage to gear only further disincentives PvP, because who wants to fight if it is going to drain their unrelated funds? Old Ilum had rewards for open world PvP and it was abused to the point of insanity.

You shouldn't need a reason to fight other than a desire to fight. The point of the event is to get a bunch of people together so that they can fight, the objective should be secondary if you want to fight people. I've had the most fun since the days of old Ilum when we actually got groups together and fought each other in random encounters. Except this time there is no faction imbalance to be concerned about.

I've gotta disagree here. The masses will most definitely PvP if you start fighting them. Get a group of four people together, cause some chaos, stir the hornet nest. Everyone is on edge in the PvP zone, it doesn't take much to get people firing on each other. And causing damage to gear only further disincentives PvP, because who wants to fight if it is going to drain their unrelated funds? Old Ilum had rewards for open world PvP and it was abused to the point of insanity.

You shouldn't need a reason to fight other than a desire to fight. The point of the event is to get a bunch of people together so that they can fight, the objective should be secondary if you want to fight people. I've had the most fun since the days of old Ilum when we actually got groups together and fought each other in random encounters. Except this time there is no faction imbalance to be concerned about.

The problem is that this game as Bioware put it, "is not a World PvP game". The risk is hardly an issue, a couple thousand credits that a daily would cover? In a game where most people would spend the time to get their daily's done without fighting in an FFA PvP area means that incentive is needed. Games have not had favorable World PvP in some time unless you play a "hardcore" PvP game. The abuse can easily be stopped. It was done in a game made 12 years ago I think a game now could handle such a simple task. Adding on to my thought though I think the reward should be based off of valor rank. so with rank 50 and below should be a low amount and as you get higher the reward gets higher... hmmm what game did they do that in that had amazing PvP... lemme think oh thats right DAoC. while that game is a relic there has not been pvp like it. The closest thing to good world pvp is GW2 which has no reward either and is very repetitive and RIft.

Good sir (Crabhand), you are a Care bear if i have ever sensed one. I look to better pvp not put a red name out there and hope that someone attacks it and starts a frenzy, because people are not gonna do that when there isnt a need for it.

**** another idea ther pvp area quests should involve...pvp

:D

Quests and pvp should not be in the same category ever. FFA pvp is crap we alredy have outlaws den and that failed to.

We need objective based pvp and bases to hold like most mmo's have. What we dont need is this ogranic crap and overthinking the wheel when it comes to pvp

Its no coincidence when theres events we always have the same result reps/imps calling a truce and standing in line for thier ice cream.

PVP should NEVER be about the killing of the players. It is a goal for a goal. PvP should always be around the fulfill the objective. Otherwise, all will choose the most effective class and the game will be boring and not interesting.

You sir sound boring. Pvp is to pvp nothing more than to kill people a goal just brings them out for what? so i can kill them. Objectives do not always work either.

Edited by Reloader

PVP should NEVER be about the killing of the players. It is a goal for a goal. PvP should always be around the fulfill the objective. Otherwise, all will choose the most effective class and the game will be boring and not interesting.

I think that PvP should never be around some objective where FoTM classes have huge advantage, such as: Smash spec, Bubble Pop since people are clustered and have to stay close where these abilities are simply working heavenly.

The only thing they should make is give Warzone commendations for every kill, but there should be some limit on how many times you can kill some player to get the Commendation. That will prevent people from trading the kills. I would personally love credits : P. I have to admit, I dislike "the gear damaging" part. I really hope they never implement that.

To be honest, I do not care about rewards but, sadly, if that has to be added to make people engage into PvP, be it.

Oh, this is just my opinion.

You say fun, but the goal should simply be killing the enemy faction without having an objective. Rewards give this silly goal a reason. Now do not get me wrong I do not believe objective pvp is bad, however, there need to be rewards for such a thing as well and then there needs to be balance. Balance is much harder to achieve. With FFA and keeping maximum group size at 4 keep the balance issue at bay. There will be specs and group make ups that dominate suck as cookie cutters but again FFA makes that even hard to perfect.

Reward - I would like to see credits valor and if commendations are to be involved I'd say though a true pvp quest. Titles should also be granted based on player kills and solo kills. Titles give a player something to strive for.

Risk - the risk should not be devestating. It should be a minor inconvenience. For ever death your endurance is lowered and it cost 500 credits to repair. On the flip side when you kill someone you should be rewarded that 500 credits.

If you do this in every daily area (with an FFA pvp area) I believe world pvp would flourish. But what would I know I have only been playing mmos for 13 years all of which I have played on the closest thing to a "hardcore pvp" server.

Only if they give us currency. Possibly the option to repair with WZ comms? No reason to make us pay as many credits as pvers if we only pvp without actually getting the money. Risk must match reward; Paying in WZ comms seems to be the most logical idea.

If you do this in every daily area (with an FFA pvp area) I believe world pvp would flourish.

I do not think so. You can be a good PVPer but do not understand how it works. MMO it's not the Olympics, and the problem of good developers so mix of all players in one place that everyone could enjoy equally. If you filter out the players for their skill (punishing them fine as you suggest, or introducing rating) that can be found out very quickly that you did not master. And then what? In any case, even if you're super cool, your PVP completed within 10 minutes capping one of the respawn site. And you sit there and sad to see each other. The idea itself is buried.

As an addition to the FFA area can make weekly quest to kill 50 people, for example. It will be enough.

And yes, for the hardcore no important awards and goals, and as you yourself say. So you have to be satisfied with having killed someone somewhere.

upd. I like PvP in TOR (there are certainly moments that I do not like) if I wanted realism and full loot, I would play EVE

Edited by volander